Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Visitor 3 Quick Tutorial

Quote[/b] ]Do you have more than 4 different surface types per segment?

This mistake will produce a white rectangle in the offending area (the one with more than 4 surface textures). So it doesn't seem likely.

If the layers.cfg color values do not match what is on the mask_lco file, the program will make it's own decision on what color is meant. This can lead to very strange results.

All learned through making these mistakes myself- don't forget to turn off anti-aliasing when making the mask image.

Ok this is wierd. I am trying to create a batch file for the step in the tutorial to convert PNG to PAA. It worked fine the first time I had the right click option and everything and it all converted fine.

But now no matter what I try to do it will not show up in the right click menu so I cannot convert all the png's in one go...

I can however right click on each one and convert them one at a time but you must understand there are almost 1000 png's to convert so it will literally take hours to convert them all this way. I need something thats quicker and has fewer mouse strokes.

Can anyone suggest what might be broken in the folder options > file types? or maybe another way to convert all of the png's to paa's in one go?

thanks. I want to test out my new Sat_LCO but this step is turning into a huge headache.

(EDIT)

Nevermind... ugh. I found the offending program that was suppressing my right click menu for its "needs"... It has been purged from my system forever...

All is well in the world once again

Im trying to change textures on my map but even i double checked every step, i only get only one same basic green texture for whole map.

Any ideas whats wrong? I dont get any errors either.

You mean detail texture? If so, is your mask 100% correct rgb values correlating with the layers.cfg? Do you have more than 4 different surface types per segment?

Yeah detail texture, and i made mask with photoshop to new layer, and color values are ok in layers.cfg

Must those textures be in paa or png type in Data folder?

Ok this is wierd. I am trying to create a batch file for the step in the tutorial to convert PNG to PAA. It worked fine the first time I had the right click option and everything and it all converted fine.

Don't bother with that batch converting stuff. If you have the newest tools suite you'll get you png raster converted to paa automatically first time you run buldozer after you've done the import.

Yeah detail texture, and i made mask with photoshop to new layer, and color values are ok in layers.cfg

Must those textures be in paa or png type in Data folder?

Paa.

Ike_fin-

You have 1722 colors, not 4, in your mask image, and of course most of them are variations of your basic colors. There is anti-aliasing where the colors meet. This is causing the problem. Make sure your brush hardness is set to 100, or whatever is needed in your graphics editor paint only solid color.

Set contrast to max and you should be good.

-edit-

Well not quite... Haven't got the time to test it properly now, but contrast to max I think should leave you with all your colors right plus a few white pixels.

Urgh, I really need help with this, can someone add me on MSN:

rommelvonrichtofen@bigpond.com

___

Heres the situation:

I've been successful up until the converting (once again ah?), however this time I cannot source down the reason behind it.

I've checked and re-checked all my paths, and it does everything up to the converting perfect, however from testing, it seems to be related to texture size (40m x 40m), if I change it to 10 x 10, it seems to convert the satellite and mask textures to .PAA, otherwise it just crashes.

With 10x10

satsug2.jpg

With 40x40

sats2so1.jpg

Not that it matters to me, but why isn't the default working and being valid (as instructed by the tutorial.)

EDIT:

This now seems to be irrelevant and will only launch with the map entirely BLACK if none of the textures are used. Being

pisekplaz[]={{255,255,0}};

mesto2[]={{0,255,0}};

mesto[]={{0,0,255}};

pisek[]={{0,255,255}};

My mask uses 255,255,255 (WHITE) and 0,0,0 (BLACK) which isn't used there and hence the map loads, I'd prefer this:

pisekplaz[]={{255,255,255}};

mesto2[]={{0,0,0}};

mesto[]={{0,0,255}};

pisek[]={{0,255,255}};

But that doesn't work!? Why is this, it seems to bugger up either straight away during BullDozer load or at the beginning of _03 in Sat/Mask conversion .PAA mad_o.gif

EDIT 2:

yay.gif

Need I say anymore, I fixed it by recreating the entire .pew file and doing it part by part, and re did all the .rvmats and .cfg... and it worked!

Its still saying invalid though...

Done.

I thought BIS had updated that....

crazy_o.gif

Nice one Opteryx,did the tutorial and the map worked off the bat.Thank you for saving my brain cells biggrin_o.gif

I just went and converted them all with the bat,didn't even realize I didn't have to,but hey,I learned something else new.

EDIT

Nevermind, I saw the class Names with the palm trees and the *.hpp file and suddenly something clicked in my mind and I put them together and it worked lol. icon_rolleyes.gif

Im so confused. I have followed the steps in Oteryx's great tutorial. But when I view my island in buldozer all it is is black. Did I miss something? Thanks.

Can you show a screenshot?

That's just weird, I've never seen that. Only thing similar that I've seen like that was starting buldozer with unconverted png tiles in the old RC.

I was wondering, after the files are converted to paa, do I need to re-import my sat and mask?

I was wondering, after the files are converted to paa, do I need to re-import my sat and mask?

No.

By the way, I was messing with textures today and renamed two textures instead of copying and renaming, so in effect I was missing two textures and experienced the same as you. You probably have a faulty path, missing a texture or something similar.

Ok so do I need to check my paths on my rvmats and thats it, and also the color for pisek is red correct? Because all I have is one texture and that is pisek.

Ok so do I need to check my paths on my rvmats and thats it, and also the color for pisek is red correct? Because all I have is one texture and that is pisek.

The color for each surface type (texture) on the mask is defined in the layers.cfg by RGB value. For each surface type you'll need the "NAME_detail_co.paa", "NAME_mco.paa", "NAME_nohq" and an RVMAT file.

all of them are in there and I checked my paths, here is my rvmat file:

ambient[] = {0.9,0.9,0.9,1};

diffuse[] = {0.9,0.9,0.9,1};

forcedDiffuse[] = {0.02,0.02,0.02,1};

specular[] = {0.0,0.0,0.0,0};

specularPower = 1; // specular interpolator must be enabled

emmisive[] = {0,0,0,0};

PixelShaderID = "NormalMapDiffuse";

VertexShaderID = "NormalMapDiffuseAlpha";

//surfaceInfo = "landtext\bumps.bisurf";

class Stage1

{ // normal map

texture="MyMap\Data\pisek_detail_nohq.paa";

uvSource="tex";

class uvTransform

{

aside[] = {10,0,0};

up[] = {0,10,0};

dir[] = {0,0,10};

pos[] = {0,0,0};

};

};

class Stage2

{

texture="MyMap\Data\pisek_detail_co.paa";

uvSource="tex";

class uvTransform

{

aside[] = {10,0,0};

up[] = {0,10,0};

dir[] = {0,0,10};

pos[] = {0,0,0};

};

};

Is your map directory called "MyMap" ?

"MyMap" name is just an example. You must edit your paths to reflect the real name of your map.

Also check that your main textures are in .paa and not .png format.

Should i need to reimport mask & sat texture after a landscape erosion ?