First I will post PC specs:

AMD AM2 5000 CPU

Nvidia 7950GT 512MB SLI (I have two cards 512 MB each) Driver Ver. 162.18

Motherboard Asus M2N32 WS Professional

4GB Ram

ArmA 505 Games Now on Patch 1.08

Sound Card Creative Labs X-fi

DirectX 9.0c

Operating System Windows XP SP 2 with latest hotfix.

3 Hard drives

Not sure were to start, because this is an odd issue. But I did not see a post on this, so if this is a duplicate I am sorry.

I had to reinstall my windows XP this weekend, and after I installed ArmA, I was not able to run the game at all. I have both the 505 games and the Atari version, so I tried both and kept getting the "ArmA has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" error. (I did not even get to the check boxes going accross the screen) Prior to reinstalling Windows XP I had this game running on this machine. However I did flash my bios and install the Creative X-fi card when I reinstalled windows XP. (I do wonder if the issue has to do with the X-fi card)

I decided to run the patch for the 505 game version, but kept getting an "application is already running error". So I rebooted, but still got this error. Later after several hours, I went ahead and tried to patch again. (The 1.04 to 1.05 international patch) This patch ran, but towards the end it stated there was a problem with the Arma.exe file. I clicked ignore, and the patch finished. At this point, I was able to run Arma so I went ahead and ran the 1.08 international patch. Again towards the end, it stated there was a problem with the arma.exe file, but once I clicked ignore the patched finished.

At this moment I am on patch 1.08, and I can get the game to play so far. (Have only joined one MP game, I have not tested anything else) However I have no clue what happened, or if it is really fixed. I plan to get the Queens Gambit expansion, but I do not have a warm fuzzy that my current version is stable.

So does anyone have an idea what the problem really is, and what I should do about it? (I have installed some other games after this, and no issues getting them to install / play.)