Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

Crysis Impressions.

I didnt know what topic to bump since there is more than one, i chose this one since its the latest and refers to demo...

Crysis SP demo is out (1.77 gig) but the whole world seems to be trying to grab it.

http://www.gamershell.com/news/42876.html

Gamershell says the demo is worth 45 minuts of gameplay and you get to play the first sp level of the game!

Pfft... 2% at floating dl speeds 50/70kb/s crazy_o.gif .

Anyone managed to get it early?

Is it better than the best or what?

got it from ea ftp at 235 kbps

it is very atmospheric so far excelent ambience ingame and cutscenes , not seen so much destruction at this point only some pallets in "thing" class that move when shot at.

hopefully i can shoot some more explosive things further on in demo smile_o.gif

You don´t need explosives .. get yourself a boat or car and start mowing down those trees with the machine gun pistols.gif

biggrin_o.gif

So..

Is it mindblowing? Extraordinary? Fascinating? Revolutionary? <s>Orgasmic?</s> Fantastic?

Or is it just... ok help.gif .

lol mr burns i found one better , pick the bottle up and throw it on the patrol man head ,lmao thats funny smile_o.gif

or throw them in air and shoot em.

Quote[/b] ]So..

Is it mindblowing? Extraordinary? Fascinating? Revolutionary? Orgasmic? Fantastic?

Or is it just... ok help.gif .

its above avreage but lags like fuck on high

i have

2 gig ram

nvidia 8800 gtx

e6600 dual core

i reckon its got about a week in it tops.

oops make that 2 weeks just found the sandbox2 installer smile_o.gif

it runs smooth under my E6600 + 8800GTS on normal at 1024x768, and looks pretty good too, the AI is quite decent but are quite easy to by pass them if putted on normal, dunno about detla through, no time to test, should be quite good, about the game play, yes there is new toys to play with, but it still very much like Farcry, i think it is a good spend of money, but i dunno if i would keep playing it for years like others, you know, delta force, GR1, RS3, or OFP/ARMA

maybe a few mods(if any) will change it in a good way?

Runs perfect with all settings at high @ 1680x1050. (8800GTX)

I only have to set texture details to medium, otherwise I get missing textures ingame sometimes.

But no need to get in detail with this game because it's nothing more than all the other shooters out there + very good graphics + fancy new features scripted for your viewing experiences.

If someone make a Jurassic Park Mod for this, I will buy the game.

If not... well.. goodnight.gif

MfG Lee icon_rolleyes.gif

Been playing it on and off all day, experimenting with the engine and I have to say, visually its amazing, the environment for me is the selling point of this game, it draws you in, and you feel part of the game world.

This is a shot with the sandbox editor, with a cut scene in real time.

blockquote> [img]<a href=http://forums.bistudio.com/oldsmileys/whistle.gif' alt='whistle.gif'>

i played the demo for a couple hours and im very impressed

Pros

-gfx of course. theyre very photorealistic on high settings. i played it at a mix of med and high settings and 1024x768on my laptop with 2.0 core2duo, 2gb 667mhz, and 256mb(up to1gb with turbocache) 8600GT at ~25fps. nice thing about the game is that although the fps is pretty low it says constant. for ex. i threw a gas can thingy between a shack and a car shot it and killed 2 ppl, blew up a car (sending parts of it flying everywhere) and watched as the shack fell apart (its made of alot of little parts and such making it a pretty cool sight) and my fps stayed constant). iron sights look nice

-AI. Ive spent alot of time going into cloak mode and watching these guys and theyre very impressive. when they kno where u are theyll try to suppress you as other move up, but of course u can just cloak and leave that position as they keep firing at that spot. when they kno ur there but not exactly where theyll do a sweep the last spot u were seen, generally in groups of 2-5. when they sweep they try to cover all angles making it hard for u just to uncloak and shoot them all. also they call reinforcements aswell.

-atmosphere is very good. wild life on the island add a lot to this

-relatively large open areas

-a variety of different ways to approach a situation. for example using hit and run tactics with the speed thing, stealthily killing them off one at a time using cloak, or using strength to jump around on top of buildings or into the sun (no not into into the sun, i mean jumping so high they look up and cant see u).

Cons

-very demanding game

-guns sound a little weak

-bullets do very little damage ( i shot a guy 5 times in the body and he was still alive) and guns are very inaccurate ( in irons even when the sights are lined up perfectly theres still a spread from like 20 meters away with a rifle)

-i personally think the player has an unfair advantage over the AI with the suit powers and all

thats bout it. check it out if you can, its worth it

EDIT:left out some stuff

whistle.gif

Hey, don't even think about it!

Finish the Lost World mod for ArmA first!

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

I don’t think that’s a going to be possible now confused_o.gif

Due to the Anim tool.

Yes i also noticed that the fps is very smooth, it never drops, very optimized.

Also the AI seems to be slightly "harder" than your average human taking about 5 shots to kill them. Perhaps this is to compensate with the nano suit the player has.

It's an impressive engine, with incredible ambience and wildlife, but gameplay is exactly the same as Farcry. Walk here, shoot this. Some guy tells you something. Walk there, shoot that. The weapons are woefully inaccurate and baddies require multiple headshots to kill. The game ran very smoothly on medium (on my old cpu weak system), but I had some major keyboard input lag, out of sync audio, noticeable LOD switching and objects popping out of no-where, and I a noticed a few out of place very lo-res textures.

It's amazing how much a few animals and a more reactive environment add to the feeling of being there, which is one of the things I think ArmA really lacks. I'll be happy the day such features can be in a ArmA scaled engine for a serious game.

Great, yet another game "US-Rambo saves the world" from evil monsters/terrorists/aliens/commies/(north koreans).

I'm not going to play this crap. I've had enough of the Burger-game mentality. Reminds me of Swat 4 where all thugs were foreigners (especially north koreans lol (again)).

Described in few words... its kinda nice smile_o.gif .

Ran at all high and 1280x1024 and its very fluent, only experienced a hickup here and there (i didnt update my driver for it). Runs smooth, loads fast and almost no HD activity, feels like it takes good advantage of the hardware.

AA seemed to slow it down somewhat but i didnt bother to monitor fps. The beautyfull flora is the best i ever saw and it doesnt kill fps at all, grass is rendered over distance if you zoom out with binoculars and you can really chop wood for once.

Soft shadows look just about perfect i think, there is so much to see that its hard to keep track of everything.

Almost every object is pickable, they went crazy with that stuff, you can even pick and throw bananas (i was wondering if anyone would slip on these, didnt manage to find out).

Physics are good ( too good? ). Inside the shacks you have to be carefull not to bump into anything or it all falls apart, its nice but kind of pointless (physics candy).

Fauna is great but a little exagerated in use, i released one of the small birds in the water and it ran straight into the bottom of the sea. The huge crabs sound mechanical, i didnt really like those.

Gameplay feels much like Far Cry except for the nano suit, weapon atachements and all the tricks involved, i think Crysis could pass on for a next generation Far Cry 2. Im not into this type of game (sci-fi shooter) but i might get this one for a couple weeks worth of mindless fun, just like Far Cry.. i'll get tired of it fast.

The only thing i didnt do in the demo was finding a shark, anyone found any?

Only another 21 hours to go on the D/L WooHooo!

Sounds interesting but how is the combat? Is it realistic besides the 5 shots to kill? I heard there was a 'realistic delta' option or something is that avaiable in the demo and how does that play out?

Delta option dint seem too different. all it did was force crosshair off, make the player a more vulnerable (player takes less damagehealth regenerates slower i think), and something with the binocs.

as for the combat, i think its pretty good. not too realistic for the most part tho. i dont think theres any bullet penetration (tried to shoot that guy in the wooden out house and the bullets dint go through). but the suit functions add a slightly different taste to combat and the AI is fun to fight against.

(tried to shoot that guy in the wooden out house and the bullets dint go through). but the suit functions add a slightly different taste to combat and the AI is fun to fight against.

^^ The door falls off perfectly though biggrin_o.gif

In any other case just put physics on medium (at least) grab yourself one of those nice red barrels, go into strength mode and throw it at any hiding enemys. Gotta love sandbags and sheet-metal walls flying all over the place!

In any other case just put physics on medium (at least) grab yourself one of those nice red barrels, go into strength mode and throw it at any hiding enemys. Gotta love sandbags and sheet-metal walls flying all over the place!

Or a turtle or a crab lmao , this thing is fun as hell and that sandbox editor i like nothing i ever saw , i just reserved a few extra weeks on my hd for this thing lol

There's many nifty things going on in this demo but there's at least one major flaw -AI won't engage you especially in vehicle outside 100m. After destroying radar and heading down path to next beach, I parked my jeep and opened fire on the 6-8 baddies as well as their MG jeep, no return fire

A few minutes later i took the boat and tried the same tactic shooting guys on the dock in plain view- no return fire confused_o.gif

This has got to be patched or this game will be collecting dust in me moldy library.

Quote[/b] ]I parked my jeep and opened fire on the 6-8 baddies as well as their MG jeep, no return fire

its defined in settings try on hard or even better open the .cfg and make it really really hard . its lots of fun smile_o.gif bullets trees and tyres everywhere lol

Just FYI. There's more weapons and equipment in the editor.

Chopping down trees with the helicopter or the minigun is quite fun biggrin_o.gif

For those who dont know how:

Load the mission in the editor.

Go to Archetype entity -> Pickups -> Weapons for all the weapons (SMG doesnt work).

Then select Export to engine and launch the demo.

There are more weapon-mods in the editor too. Grenadelauncher, assault scope, sniper scope, flash and smokeshell.

@OFP2- Yeah i switched to Delta but it seems to be a bug when your in a vehicle. I pulled to with 60m of enemies in my jeep, killed one and the other guys ran for cover but never returned fire with the 'spotted' meter returning to normal. Fired a few more shots over their head, same thing. Then I disembarked and fired in their direction and the 'spotted' meter went to max and stayed there while enemies started to flank me. CQB is fantasitic btw smile_o.gif

@Shadow- how do I access the sandbox editor? Dont see option for editor anywhere huh.gif

-edit: NM, found it in Program Files\Electronic Arts folder

Sandbox editor is in your install directory in the folder called "sandbox editor"

Once installed the shortcut will be in your bin32 folder, in the same location.

Make sure you install the sandbox editor in the same location as your game, as it reads the files from there and plays just like the game, but in a editor window.