Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Linux server beta

@The problem with squad.xml:

Sounds like a problem in resolving the hostnames of the squad xml's.

[*] Are the nameservers that are being used by the linux server responding fast enough and not taking seconds or longer to respond?

[*] Is the server actually able to resolve hostnames?

[*] In any case, using the NSCD (altough I have no experience nor much info on it), or caching features within a local DNS server, might help incase of squad.xml's from different players, hosted on the same websites

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the case of faulty or slow name resolving. The main server I'm using has a vmware + windows XP setup on top of linux, so both the Windows and linux arma servers are using identical DNS servers with alsmost identical connection parameters.

The 2nd test box has a (caching) DNS server running, and it's behaving exactly the same.

True, we have three servers running and the testbox has neither web services nor dns services running, so it's doubtful.

@Red: Chain. I was trying to say that there was not even a chain symbol. The red chain symbol is already known for windows servers to appear once the load on the server is high and a new player connects - yep, but you can go on with playing, even if a red chain symbol appears. But here: the already connected client didn't get data from the server during the connection process, the other client has performed.

Again:

The internet itself already holds a lot of intel on a discussion like 'Mommy, my Win beats that damn mutated penguin' or 'Daddy, Bill is a suck0r' - a discussion that is being held for decades now... and men, it is really pointless and depends on philosophy and likes and dislikes, that's all. The rest of the discussion should be held by at least graduated ones who can judge that topic more impartial wink_o.gif

Thank you for quick reporting the squad.xml problem. There is really something which was forgotten to rewrite for Linux.

Will be fixed (as soon as possible).

Good news, really. The sooner the better - no no. Take the time you need biggrin_o.gif

What are the system requirements for Linux Ded Server?

Is there a quick rule to calculate these requirements based on the number of players?

Thank you and sorry if the question has already been asked, I searched I swear smile_o.gif

Well we are running it on a P4 @ 2.8GHz single core with 1GB RAM. It's our good old Flashpoint server smile_o.gif

We configured it for 40 pp at first, but the server is currently having a little quirk in handling the squad.xmls, but BI is after it so proper testing may begin a little later.

However, i cannot speak for others. Maybe someone already have it tested fullhouse-like.

Yeah its a bit early to set player benchmarks, but from testing in the IC-ArmA tournament we are getting a much better server FPS and lower RAM usage.

And may i take this opportunity to say great job to BIS with the support for this dedi. im really impressed biggrin_o.gif Hope you get the xml issues sorted out soon biggrin_o.gif

I updated the archive with newer version of the beta of Linux server.

We can't reproduce the crash but we believe it's probably related to

http://www.hostingforum.ca/170823-floating-point-ex-running-any-c.html

Please try to download the server again from the same link and let us know if it helped.

Thank you very much, this update did it, our server's up and running now.

Just before the rental agreement runs out confused_o.gif

Just for the record:

Linux version 2.6.22.6 (gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21))

New beta is available from the same location.

squad.xml issues hopefully sorted out.

Thanks a lot, testing...

But what i also recognised yesterday in a short test was (2 Players little coop), that the ammocrate needs horribly long to give you the GUI for handling your loadout. Interaction with it also takes a bit. I tried 10 seconds to drop a AT4 but nothing happened. Strangly it was faster to get other ammo during that i-get-no-feedback-phase. On windows server its going way faster, as i feel. Apart from that, pings looked fine, also the bandwidth.

Anyone else have such an effect?

Aftermath: It seems the problem is still there. We were playing a 3 men DM all with XMLs. Two were playing and the third was connecting when the game stood still for some seconds. No chain symbol, just the old 'freezing-prob'.

Edit: wget ftp://www.flashpoint1985.com/ArmA/DediServer/server-1.08.tar.bz2

gives a file in which the newest file is the server binary what is from 19.09.2007 huh.gif Last download was just now...

It seems to be that somehow I didn't overwrite the older archive. I uploaded again and it really looks like being newest version now. Sorry for inconvenience.

Hehe shit happens...retesting...

1st result: Connecting with XML lasts longer than connecting without

...tbc

Ok, now it contains the current binary.

No problems so far, further testing again this evening. wink_o.gif

The setpos command doesn't work on the linux dedicated server anymore! (server version of septembre the 21st)

I've tested two finished missions on it - no problems on the windows dedicated so far.

In the first mission I tracked the problem to this sqs file:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">fabrik = nearestbuilding fabriklogic

S1 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 1);

S2 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 3);

S3 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 6);

S4 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 9);

S5 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 10);

S6 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 11);

S7 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 13);

S8 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 28);

S9 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 30);

S10 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 31);

S11 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 34);

S12 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 35);

S13 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 37);

Objekt1 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 4);

Objekt2 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 27);

Objekt3 setPos (fabrik buildingpos 29);

In the second mission Mr. Murrays aircreate script didn't work anymore. Here's the code of it.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">;Skript & Idea by Mr-Murray 2006

;mr-murray@bossmail.de

;www.mapfact.net

;www.mr-murray.de.vu

?(!(local server)):exit

_StartPos = _this select 0

_Airtyp= _this select 1

_Pilottyp = _this select 2

_Target = _this select 3

_Height = _this select 4

_Gunner = _this select 5

_skill = _this select 6

_behaviour = _this select 7

_Leader = _this select 8

_count = _this select 9

_counter = 0

#Start

_counter = _counter +1

_Typ = createVehicle [_Airtyp,[(getpos _StartPos select 0)+ random 200,(getpos _StartPos select 1)+ random 200,_Height + random 150], [], 0, "FLY"];

_Typ FlyInHeight _Height;

_Typ SetSpeedMode "full";

_Typ setdir getdir _StartPos;

_pilot = _Pilottyp createUnit [[(getpos _StartPos select 0),(getpos _StartPos select 1),2000], _Leader,"Pilot1=this"];

Pilot1 moveindriver _Typ;

Pilot1 setSkill _Skill;

Pilot1 doMove getpos _Target;

Pilot1 setbehaviour "_behaviour";

? _gunner == 0 : goto "Next"

_gunner = _Pilottyp createUnit [[(getpos _StartPos select 0),(getpos _StartPos select 1),2000], _Leader,"Gunner1=this"];

Gunner1 moveingunner _Typ;

Gunner1 setSkill _Skill;

Gunner1 setbehaviour "_behaviour";

#Next

? _counter >= _count : exit

~1

goto "Start"

I think it's the moveInDriver command as well. Maybe a global command problem with the server version? The pilots aren't in the aircrafts anymore.

Please have a look at it. help.gif I think I don't speak just to myself when I say that 90 % of all missions and scripts depent on such things.

We have been getting complaints of the server becoming unplayable after about 40min, anyone else?

We have been getting complaints of the server becoming unplayable after about 40min, anyone else?

Shotglass and sprags from the IC-ArmA Tournament Here.

Linux build running sweet so far,get some Freezing with a few players,believe it is down to there Location (Pacific area) so far.

Server running 50 FPS and with 80MB of memory on our battle map.

Should hopefully stress test the Linux build with over 100 players tomorrow and Email the Log files to yourselves to check.

Hello!

With Squad URL it still takes a way too long to connect. Also it seems that nscd doesn't improve (nor make it worse) connect time.

With correct squad USL:

21:31:58 Player connecting

21:32:33 Player connected

21:32:43 Player disconnected

Starting nscd without any configuration:

21:33:42 Player connecting

21:34:15 Player connected

21:34:45 Player disconnected

Re-testing:

21:34:51 Player connecting

21:35:25 Player connected

21:35:34 Player disconnected

Using incorrect squad URL (http -> khttp):

21:37:09 Player connecting

21:37:13 Player connected

21:37:21 Player disconnected

Re-testing:

21:37:29 Player connecting

21:37:32 Player connected

21:37:35 Player disconnected

Clearing squad URL:

21:38:00 Player connecting

21:38:03 Player connected

21:38:05 Player disconnected

Re-testing:

21:38:12 Player connecting

21:38:15 Player connected

21:38:17 Player disconnected

Testing with correct squad URL:

21:38:39 Player connecting

21:39:13 Player connected

21:39:21 Player disconnected

Using CentOS 4.5 (2.6.9-55.0.6.EL) 64bit running under VMware 1.0.3 (under 32 bit XP). E6400, 2 GB

$ md5sum server-1.08.tar.bz2

350b811d8411ae48de0eabb0689a6900 server-1.08.tar.bz2

Hi guys..

Do someone know how to start the server with mod folders? I use ./armaserver start and it works fine, but how can i start with mods?

Thanks for help!

Hi guys..

Do someone know how to start the server with mod folders? I use ./armaserver start and it works fine, but how can i start with mods?

Thanks for help!

If you know how to do this in windows, you could edit armaserver (it's a text file) to include the necessary argument to the server binary.

It's quite easy, as favre allready mentioned

open "armaserver" with your favorite editor (nano, vi, vim, ...) and take a look at the end of the file. At line 107 (or line 13 from bottom) there is a string beginning with ${SERVER}: There you have to add the -mod=<mod_dir> directive. That's all.

If you want to start your server via parameter, add "-mod=$2". Then you have to start your server via "armaserver start mymod"

greets

What are the system requirements for Linux Ded Server?

Is there a quick rule to calculate these requirements based on the number of players?

Thank you and sorry if the question has already been asked, I searched I swear smile_o.gif

It seems it has not been specified so far.

Clever but empty answer is: "The system requirements for Linux Ded Server is the same as for Win32 Ded Server."

Let's say, the CPU+RAM requirements to be the same as for the game.

512 MB RAM, 2 GHz CPU

Aftermath: It seems the problem is still there. We were playing a 3 men DM all with XMLs. Two were playing and the third was connecting when the game stood still for some seconds. No chain symbol, just the old 'freezing-prob'.

Was it true only for the version dated Sep. 19 2007?

Or the freezing-prob is still present, living and making life difficult? (In version dated Sep. 21 2007?)

Testing with correct squad URL:

21:38:39 Player connecting

21:39:13 Player connected

1. the fix of squad.xml issue applies only to the DediServer freezing during squad.xml player connecting.

2. 34 seconds ... how much is it on the Win32 Dedi Server? Have you got some comparison?

The setpos command doesn't work on the linux dedicated server anymore!

We have tried to use setPos on our Linux dedicated server and it worked well.

The following was tested:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> pos = getPos Legislator;

sleep 1;

Legislator setPos [(pos select 0)+10,pos select 1,pos select 2];

sleep 1;

Legislator setPos [(pos select 0)-10,pos select 1,pos select 2];

sleep 1; //etcetera, and Legislator switched its position pretty regularly

If the problem remains and you are able to create some simple repro steps, please do so. The best would be to create some mission with repro steps, email it to info@bistudio.com and notify myself about it here on the forums.

Thanks for having a look into it. If it's not setpos, maybe it's another command. I will have a look into it the next days and if I find something I'll mail it to the designated address.

2. 34 seconds ... how much is it on the Win32 Dedi Server? Have you got some comparison?

With squad xml it's 4-5 seconds on a win32 server, 34 seconds on a linux server (latest build).

It seems that the server doesn't freeze up completely anymore, but the long waiting time is still there.