Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Linux server beta

I have been experiencing a bug which makes enemy AI foot soldiers oblivious to any hostiles (the player and his friendly AI's).

The bug does not seem to affect AI UAZ gunners and tankers, maybe only BMP's and foot soldiers for sure.

The discussion of this bug is here:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=68517

Several people confirm.

We have fixed very annoying issue which could have global impact on Linux Dedicated Server behaviour.

pistols.gif It should fix the BUG "enemy AI foot soldiers oblivious to any hostiles" at least (tested).

But it can fix everything else, even setPos issue and others (we are unable to test atm).

It is prepared for release. Comming soon.

Linux server is updated on the same location (verified to be the fixed version).

FYI: The problem was caused (again ) by gcc compiler optimizations on Linux. We disabled the optimization now and it can fix almost any type of problems so there's no need to report bugs from the previous versions of the Linux server beta.

Thank you for testing, it is really helpful.

Linux server is updated on the same location (verified to be the fixed version).

FYI: The problem was caused (again ) by gcc compiler optimizations on Linux. We disabled the optimization now and it can fix almost any type of problems so there's no need to report bugs from the previous versions of the Linux server beta.

Thank you for testing, it is really helpful.

Thank you for fixing, you guys rock!!!

Now I can run my beloved ArmA on my beloved Linux again smile_o.gif

maruk i want to ask if these optimizations are disabled are there any sideeffects on server performance ?

(e.g. lower than possible in certain distros)

maruk i want to ask if these optimizations are disabled are there any sideeffects on server performance ?

(e.g. lower than possible in certain distros)

Only one optimization was disabled.

We hope, it can have only neglectible impact.

First, a big thanks for making the linux version for the dedicated server of ARMA notworthy.gif

If I am not wrong, so far it's possible to choose the port the server use but not the ip ? icon_rolleyes.gif I have several ip on my box and I would like to be able to choose the ip the server use. xmas_o.gif

Hello!

The new binary does still have long connection time feature.

With correct squad USL:

21:21:01 Player connecting.

21:21:35 Player connected

When doing 'tcpdump port 53' on the other console, it seems that the system asks DNS information two times and there is no lag with DNS response.

21:21:04.828318 IP arma-server-host.32775 > DNS-server.domain: 35616+ A? squad-domain. (33)

21:21:04.853891 IP DNS-server.domain > arma-server-host.32775: 35616 2/3/2 CNAME[|domain]

21:21:19.944190 IP arma-server-host.32775 > DNS-server.domain: 26024+ A? squad-domain. (33)

21:21:19.951951 IP DNS-server.domain > arma-server-host.32775: 26024 2/3/2 CNAME[|domain]

Using CentOS 4.5 (2.6.9-55.0.6.EL) 64bit running under VMware 1.0.3 (under 32 bit XP). E6400, 2 GB

$ md5sum server-1.08.tar.bz2

c384d79041062b654854fae94330cb31 server-1.08.tar.bz2

I'm going to update VMware if it helps (1.0.3 -> 1.0.4).

I can confirm the double lookup and slow connection times.

Furthermore the server seemed to crash whenever 4 people tried to connect at the same time, after numerous (more than 700) messages like<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">server error: Player without identity <nick name> (id <id>)

During connection of players mid-game there would still be extensive lag, again as if the server had stopped working, for about one minute. After the 'player x connected', a lot messages would occur like the following:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Server: Network message 12253b is pending

Server: Network message 12253b is pending

Server: Network message 12253c is pending

Server: Network message 12253d is pending

Server: Network message 12a267 is pending

Server: Network message 12a268 is pending

There were around 4000 of these messages during the server's unresponsiveness with 7 players on the server and one connecting and diconnecting again after 15 seconds. The 'pending' messages continued after the player had already disconnected again.

Finally got it working. FC7, all fine.

Now, I'm starting on the subject, but enabling signatures check makes me unable to log in.

Log says this :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">File description.ext, line 14: '.onLoadMission': Missing ';' at the end of line

File description.ext, line 17: '.titleParam1': Missing ';' at the end of line

File description.ext, line 23: '.titleParam2': Missing ';' at the end of line

File AAHALO\mouseTracker.hpp, line 27: '/ctrlParaDiag/mouseField.onKeyDown': Missing ';' at the end of line

File description.ext, line 1: '.onLoadMission': Missing ';' at the end of line

2:20:10 Player Kalbuth: Wrong signature for file dta\bin.pbo

2:20:10 Player Kalbuth: Wrong signature for file dta\core.pbo

2:20:10 Player Kalbuth: Wrong signature for file addons\a10.pbo

2:20:10 Player Kalbuth disconnected.

* starts lurking the forums for signatures information *

I can confirm the double lookup and slow connection times.

Furthermore the server seemed to crash whenever 4 people tried to connect at the same time, after numerous (more than 700) messages like<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">server error: Player without identity <nick name> (id <id>)

During connection of players mid-game there would still be extensive lag, again as if the server had stopped working, for about one minute. After the 'player x connected', a lot messages would occur like the following:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Server: Network message 12253b is pending

Server: Network message 12a268 is pending

There were around 4000 of these messages during the server's unresponsiveness with 7 players on the server and one connecting and diconnecting again after 15 seconds. The 'pending' messages continued after the player had already disconnected again.

I can confirm a similar problem on my Linux Test Server aswell. the server stops responding entirely for awhile at Server FPS: 0. then after a long while comes back to normal

Suppose you have used the fresh Dediserver version.

It would be nice to get the crash dump.

If you can get some, can you send it to info@bistudio.com please?

Suppose you have used the fresh Dediserver version.

It would be nice to get the crash dump.

If you can get some, can you send it to info@bistudio.com please?

Yes, latest version of yesterday afternoon was used.

Unfortunately no core dump was generated; I'm not sure why though. My conclusion that the server had crashed was based on the log:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">WATCHDOG (9021): [Tue Sep 25 22:22:48 CEST 2007] Server died, waiting

to restart...

If I have a core dump available, I will make sure to send it.

New beta version available (again the same location).

It doesn't use libwww which could possibly fix the lag problem with squad.xml.

It doesn't use libwww which could possibly fix the lag problem with squad.xml.

Hello!

No lag anymore with squad.xml. But on the other hand, server does NOT load tags and information anymore (stuff in the Players page).

18:19:20 Player connecting.

18:19:24 Player connected

18:19:35 Player disconnected.

18:20:13 Player connecting.

18:20:17 Player connected

18:20:19 Player disconnected.

18:20:39 Player connecting.

18:20:43 Player connected

I had to check and re-check that the squad.xml was actually in use :-) And when connecting to windows-dedi, it worked ok.

I guess removing the libwww usage was just that : the server doesn't query anymore web sites for squad.xml files. So you don't have squad info shown, nor do you get your clan tags on vehicles, etc...

I dont think the feature is removed, that woul be too easy. But is it not tested before publishing?

squad xml functionality is still working OK with the new version. The tags, the logo and the information are all still available.

Server seems to be handling new connections a lot better now. More testing is needed to confirm though.

i think instead of libwww they probably use a builtin www handling of their own or something else inside the binary.

Has anyone tried to run the Linux dedicated with Signature Check enabled? I try without success. I get signature check errors for eveyone connecting.

Has anyone tried to run the Linux dedicated with Signature Check enabled? I try without success. I get signature check errors for eveyone connecting.

I have tried.

And I am trying hard to get it worked atm.

Great, I feel better to not be the only one in this case.

The other one being BI, I'm confident the issue won't last smile_o.gif

Thanks a bunch for the support on linux dedi smile_o.gif

squad xml functionality is still working OK with the new version. The tags, the logo and the information are all still available.

Hello!

I installed one version older server binaries and using that version I got squad xml working. The data was saved to two different directories: server_root/tmp and server_root/tmp2302.

Then I updated dedi to the latest binaries and after that NO squad stuff exists in game or in the two directories above.

But using tcpdump I can see that the server is doing some http requests and it got some replies, too.

HitmanFF, can you tell if you have squad stuff in server_root/tmp and server_root/tmp2302 directories with the newest version installed? And if you remove them, server will download them during connection phase?

I also tested this without iptables running and with no server.cfg installed (and with server.cfg having MaxCustomFileSize=51200 commented out).

Still I can't have the squad xml functionality working.

Fuctionality of tolower.c could be replaced quite easily with simple perl or better yet, shell script, dropping need of gcc. Shell script would be better, since there wouldn't be requirement for perl.

Tested with debian etch, seems to be working... smile_o.gif