Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Linux server beta

Quote[/b] ]I mean i want to have the useless grass disabled due to performance issues with some clients, but without a user-config this setting is hard to make, so: where the heck are those profiles. With the Windows server, one can load a specfic profile that defines the settings for mp sessions for all clients. I know one can override the grass setting in a mission files, so the grass setting is just an example, but it raises also the next question whether or not, a missionsetting overrides a serversetting from which it effectively should inherit from crazy_o.gif

Unfortunatly, one can't disable grass server-side via a .profile file terrainGridsetting in ArmA up to and including 1.08.5163. It has to be done for each mission with the setTerrainGrid command.

(By default, the arma server creates a folder "player" with the "player.profile" file in the ArmA server folder.)

Hm. I can see a difference in quality of displaying the grass, the flora, according to the userprofile i forced the server to start with. So maybe one cannot disable it complety via a serverconfig, but one has influence to the quality settings of the grass respectively the shading quality. Ok then that was my point wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ](By default, the arma server creates a folder "player" with the "player.profile" file in the ArmA server folder.)

You mean the linux server binary is creating it? Hm, its missing here. For the clanserver we need to upgrade the distribution first to see an effect.

Okay but where is the arma.cfg located then? Where to put it as it is on Windows located in the \Documents blablabla\... directory as well. Guess we should simply put it into the ArmA server directory...mhmhmhmh...

Edit: Okay for testing purposes we put all needed libs from a distri at home to the SuSE in a chroot-env and the server is actually running fine now. It also creates a 'player' directory in which the profiles are located. But one question remains: where is the third configfile, the arma.cfg?

The player/player.armaprofile is working fine on my setup; the difficulties set in there are effective.

I'm having serious issues with (lack of) bandwidth usage though. According the biki, you should set those in arma.cfg.

But one question remains: where is the third configfile, the arma.cfg?

As I was unsure of its default location, I've added <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">-cfg=arma.cfg to the startup command line.

But connecting to the server takes a very long time (from xxx connecting to xxx connected will take well over 50 seconds, whereas it's 5 seconds max on the Windows equivalent), and I'm getting multiple 'network message pending' messages, which I assume also are related to bandwidth:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Server: Network message c737 is pending

Server: Network message c737 is pending

Server: Network message c758 is pending

Server: Network message c759 is pending

Server: Network message c75a is pending

Server: Network message c75b is pending

We've only tested the server for a short while last night, since after less than 30 minutes it turned inresponsive (all other players ran on the spot, unable to kill them), though there was no 'session lost', red link or any other sign of server disappearing.

But the param -cfg= is meant to be used for a serverconfig and not the arma.cfg?!

The server is creating an arma.cfg like it is creating the user directory, but it is somewhere down the street and not actually inside the ArmA directory. But this is maybe an outcome of the fact, that the admin is currently running as root smile_o.gif

The one and only userconfigfile one can use is the whatever/player/player.armaprofile/ ??

Edit: No seems not. We put an additional subdir into it, a user big_bad_admin at first but it seems not to work.

The server then creates a directory called big_bad_admin in the ArmA root directory when it was started with the param -name= ...

Hi folks!

After hard work, arma ded server now works on Debian 4.0 (testing, so called "lenny"). A quick tut, how i got our server running:

Quote[/b] ]1.) Follow all instructions of readme

2.) Download libwww0 manually from packages.debian.org (click me for direct DL for "lenny")

3.) install downloaded .deb with dpkg -i --force-architecture <.deb-file>

4.) edit startupfile "armaserver" and change vars, fitting for your system

5.) start server manually (command: ./server). Now the player directory should be created.

6.) stop server with ctrl+c

7.) edit player/player.armaprofile

8.) create and edit a arma.cfg (all lowercase! ) in main directory of arma

9.) run server via ./armaserver start

10.) have fun! smile_o.gif

If your server crash when someone connecting, make backup of your mpmissions folder and delete all custom missions so only missions beginning with "mp" be there. Then copy custom missions back in mpmissions file by file and check between each copy, if server crashes. if not continue copy if not, delete last copied mission and copy next file.

@Hoot

arma.cfg is located in arma main directory. Under Linux the server uses no home directory. no -profile or -name necessary.

But the param -cfg= is meant to be used for a serverconfig and not the arma.cfg?!

The server is creating an arma.cfg like it is creating the user directory, but it is somewhere down the street and not actually inside the ArmA directory. But this is maybe an outcome of the fact, that the admin is currently running as root smile_o.gif

The one and only userconfigfile one can use is the whatever/player/player.armaprofile/ ??

Edit: No seems not. We put an additional subdir into it, a user big_bad_admin at first but it seems not to work.

The server then creates a directory called big_bad_admin in the ArmA root directory when it was started with the param -name= ...

According the biki on start up parameters, there is both a -config= for the server config and a -cfg= for the arma.cfg.

The arma.cfg created by arma is in the / (server root directory) of the server, probably indeed because I was testing while being root.

@Hoot

arma.cfg is located in arma main directory. Under Linux the server uses no home directory

Yep, finally we got it:

Quote[/b] ]arma@xxxx:~/arma-server$ ./server -config=server.cfg -name=big_bad_admin

Updating base class ->Default, by ca\anims\characters\config.bin/CfgMovesBasic/DefaultDie/

Updating base class ->Default, by ca\anims\characters\config.bin/CfgMovesMaleSdr/States/Crew/

9:57:44 Dedicated host created.

9:57:47 Host identity created.

ArmA Console version 1.08 : port 2314 - Sockets

@Hitman: Yep pal. Thanx a lot wink_o.gif

Edit: [deleted due to: problems solved]

Hi all,

thank you for your brave fighting the ArmA Server Undocumented issues. It is a helpful feedback... The next beta version will be hopefully released today. There are some short answers:

All the files the server creates are created with incorrect modes. They end up with only u+w which makes it impossible for the server to read them. smile_o.gif

banghead.gif BUG. Fixed now to u+rw. It can affect more game aspects and it was not tested much yet.

We are still having problems with the FPE, Core dump emailed

The next beta release (hopefully today) will be even more strict, linked by -Wl,--hash-style=sysv.

Give us the feedback whether it helps or not, please. help.gif

Quote[/b] ]

player/player.armaprofile

You mean the linux server binary is creating it?

User profile is taken from $(ARMA_DIR)/player/player.armaprofile

If the player/player.armaprofile file does not exist, some default is really created by server binary.

Okay but where is the arma.cfg located then?

banghead.gif BUG. Somebody has noticed it before while running server as root. Server has always tried to create it on root directory, i.e. /arma.cfg.

It is fixed now to $(ARMA_DIR)/arma.cfg

We started in our VM, I guess almost like you, with <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">...\arma_server.exe -port=... -name=server -config=... -profiles=Users

-config=... is implemented on linux, but -profiles=... have dummy (empty) implementation.

Is there any good reason to make it working? icon_rolleyes.gif

New beta is available from the same location.

New binary still works on suse 10.1, arma.cfg ist created properly in the arma-directory now.

Rest of testing this evening. crazy_o.gif

Testing the new binary...thanks alot team. The support for the linux dedi is damn fast biggrin_o.gif

Edit: No problems so far, but as C already mentioned and implied, better to check it when we have full house.

thank you Maruk, you are the man. Now to figure out all the cool startline commands.

Hello!

Just a quick system review, first:

CentOS 4.5 (2.6.9-55.0.6.EL) 64bit running under VMware 1.0.3 (under 32 bit XP). E6400, 2 GB

Second and third beta binaries start normally. The first one crashed at the very beginning.

I got w3c-libwww installed quite easy using 'yum install w3c-libwww'. Seems that both 32 and 64 bit libraries are installed.

Haven't tested this very much, but at least there is something to test...

Heh, I found annoying bug and a feature?

Bug:

Adding mission file to mpmissions directory while server is running crashes the server:

Cannot open file 'MPMissions\Operation_Nova_COOP_1-14.Sara.pbo'

In this case, added file was 'Operation_Nova_COOP_1-14.Sara.pbo'. Renaming it to lowercase (ie. using tolower -utility in armaserver directory) fixes the problem. ArmA-server can't work in mixed upper/lowercase environment?

Feature:

server opens all files in mpmission directory and keeps them reserved while running?

$ /usr/sbin/lsof | grep -i mpmissions

server 4557 arma 69r REG 8,17 180880 983152 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp01seizethecity.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 70r REG 8,17 275970 983153 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp03armoredfist.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 71r REG 8,17 209622 983154 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp04cleansweep.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 72r REG 8,17 5449050 983155 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp06conquertheisland.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 73r REG 8,17 241308 983156 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp07capturetheflag.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 74r REG 8,17 207180 983157 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp08capturetheflag2.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 75r REG 8,17 243958 983158 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp09capturetheflag3.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 76r REG 8,17 665425 983159 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp10holdcastle.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 77r REG 8,17 65049 983160 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp11ambush.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 78r REG 8,17 128985 983161 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp12flagfight.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 79r REG 8,17 159367 983162 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp13flagfight2.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 80r REG 8,17 204801 983163 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp14flagfight3.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 81r REG 8,17 1278733 983164 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp15sectorcontrol.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 82r REG 8,17 1021739 983165 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp16deathmatch.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 83r REG 8,17 114808 983166 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp17deathmatch.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 84r REG 8,17 136521 983167 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp18pilotdown.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 85r REG 8,17 47124 983168 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp19hunting.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 86r REG 8,17 143273 983169 /arma/server/mpmissions/mp20cameldogfight.sara.pbo

server 4557 arma 87r REG 8,17 1572051 983209 /arma/server/mpmissions/operation_nova_coop_1-14.sara.pbo

lsof 4563 arma cwd DIR 8,17 4096 983151 /arma/server/mpmissions

grep 4564 arma cwd DIR 8,17 4096 983151 /arma/server/mpmissions

lsof 4565 arma cwd DIR 8,17 4096 983151 /arma/server/mpmissions

ArmA-server can't work in mixed upper/lowercase environment?

Nope...

Seems that using a squad.xml will slow down the connecting phase considerably: I removed the URL from my player's profile and my connection time dropped from 40 sec to 3 sec.

This difference occurs both on Ubuntu 6.06 and 7.04.

Can anyone tell me how to specify a specific IP address for the server to run on?

Also, does anyone know the query protocol?

why is linux better then the win version? (attention noob question)

We have tried a little coop recently and it seems that the connection time takes a bit.

A member was already gaming and i was joining the session, when he got not even the chain symbol (red or yellow), but experienced the same effect, as if the ofpserver (comparable) has crashed: having all the playerobjects running on the same position without really moving.

My connection process on the other hand went fine as usual. When i was in the game and connected, his session was also continuing.

Has anyone experienced similar effects?

Cheers.

Edit: I read Hitman's last post. Well we both used our XMLs, maybe that's why the server was a little incertain in handling already connected players. Maybe one connection managing thread is blocking the rest, because the whole pipeline to the other clients seems blocked for a period. Don't take it seriously, i have really no idea...

=- @ Sep. 19 2007,21:00)]why is linux better then the win version? (attention noob question)

Linux uses alot less memory and CPU to run the server, therfore the savings get passed on to the client(cheesy GSP comment)

A member was already gaming and i was joining the session, when he got not even the chain symbol (red or yellow), but experienced the same effect, as if the ofpserver (comparable) has crashed: having all the playerobjects running on the same position without really moving.

My connection process on the other hand went fine as usual. When i was in the game and connected, his session was also continuing.

Has anyone experienced similar effects?

Yes, I indeed experienced the same issue. Server performance dropped to 0 fps for a short while (during the connection phase of the player with squad xml), which would make it seem like the server had crashed.

@ShotGlass, as those extra Win services etc. use very low CPU Cycles, and ArmA server not uses more than 250-500MB (incase of lots of addons, scripts & what not), the real win between the two is, solely based on mentioned reasons, IMHO fully neglectible, especially on current-day technology (CPU (e.g multicore)/RAM). But thats my opinion ;p (Coming from a fan of both OS'es)

@The problem with squad.xml:

Sounds like a problem in resolving the hostnames of the squad xml's.

[*] Are the nameservers that are being used by the linux server responding fast enough and not taking seconds or longer to respond?

[*] Is the server actually able to resolve hostnames?

[*] In any case, using the NSCD (altough I have no experience nor much info on it), or caching features within a local DNS server, might help incase of squad.xml's from different players, hosted on the same websites

@The problem with red chain:

When players connect to our Windows servers, we in about all cases receive chains on other player computers aswell, but afaik no 'freeze' in gameplay.

would be very nice catch if these new player connecting issues are just related to squad.xml url resolve / alive/dead etc.