Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Linux server beta

Linux is free, Linux doesn't require heavy graphical remote management, Linux follows specifications.

That's all I need. Win doesn't offer me any of that.

The day Microsoft will begin to know how to program network application, I'll perhaps begin to take a look on M$ for net servers.

There's no wonder all the major network equipement makers use either a linux/BSD base or their own platform, and never Microsoft. M$ has issues with network programmation. + they tend to go all by proprietary things, when inter-networking is all BUT proprietary (or it doesn't work).

My choice is easy : Linux smile_o.gif

please leave discussion about which OS is better

that's theme for Offtopic forum

this thread is about ArmA Linux beta server

Any chance to have a list of working distris in the first post, dear mods?

I know it may depends on customisation whether or not it crashes, but a neat list would be appreciated since i don't want to follow pros and cons of whichever-OS-has-stolen-from-the-one-and-only-UNIX, too wink_o.gif

We are unable to reproduce the crash on our 2.6.22.4-65.fc7

but I hope we have found something relevant. It will be ready very soon, hopefully today.

So - list of working distris - will cover (hopefully) everything.

firefoxlover.gif

You mean the fedora-core 7, by typing 'fc7' right?

A style like [distri] [kernel] -> [working/crash] in such a list would be fine wink_o.gif

Linux is free, Linux doesn't require heavy graphical remote management, Linux follows specifications.

That's all I need. Win doesn't offer me any of that.

The day Microsoft will begin to know how to program network application, I'll perhaps begin to take a look on M$ for net servers.

There's no wonder all the major network equipement makers use either a linux/BSD base or their own platform, and never Microsoft. M$ has issues with network programmation. + they tend to go all by proprietary things, when inter-networking is all BUT proprietary (or it doesn't work).

My choice is easy : Linux smile_o.gif

Not an OS chatter but with the new Powerpanel you can use the telnet interface to admin the whole server remotely. You can also disable the explorer and utilize a ssh shell for windows. removing all graphics smile_o.gif

-I take that back, cant control the whole server. But you can control some key points. With the right scripts you could really do some nice admin

I updated the archive with newer version of the beta of Linux server.

We can't reproduce the crash but we believe it's probably related to

http://www.hostingforum.ca/170823-floating-point-ex-running-any-c.html

Please try to download the server again from the same link and let us know if it helped.

You nailed it!

Server running fine now on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS yay.gif

My compliments, gentlemen!

Server ist running fine under Suse 10.1

Only one Problem we found, he don`t accept map with

special signs in their names like []( ) and so.

Then it runs !

We have a problem with the www3 library on our Linux-Server.

Everytime I start the server, it says:

error while loading shared libraries: libwwwinit.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is there a special version of the library we need? Any special things we have to do when we install the library?

We have a problem with the www3 library on our Linux-Server.

Everytime I start the server, it says:

error while loading shared libraries: libwwwinit.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is there a special version of the library we need? Any special things we have to do when we install the library?

Did you read the readme?

If you provide some information about what distrubution you are running we might be able to help.

Any chance to have a list of working distris in the first post, dear mods?

I know it may depends on customisation whether or not it crashes, but a neat list would be appreciated since i don't want to follow pros and cons of whichever-OS-has-stolen-from-the-one-and-only-UNIX, too wink_o.gif

i support the idea. and what i can contribute is testings so far on 2 distro's and their versions

Feisty Fawn 7.04 32bit: Works excellent with install of libwww0

ArchLinux Current 32bit: Works after getting a PKGBUILD for w3c-libwww from AUR Repositories and build it.

Cheers.

We are currently testing on Edgy and SuSE-whatever.

Can anyone give me a hint how-to assign a user respectively a profile to the server?

In OFP you had two configs. An ofp.cfg or so, and a config in the user directory of OFP. In ArmA it is the same, one config is located in the ArmA root and a second one in the \documents and settings\use\blablabla.

My question ist not how to start the binary or the deamon or whatever with an user of the system, but how to load a specific profile? Does the option -user support paths or what?

Either im just blind to find the information somewhere else, or it is simply missing.

The profiles in OFP (even for the linuxservers) was good to have, because one could choose different quality-settings for the server, so i guess it will work for ArmA as well.

May this question be not too ridiculous to get answered wink_o.gif

Edit: K, in ArmA both configs are located in \documents...\user\..\... and not in the ArmA directory were the game is located in. Hmmmm...any ideas?

I updated the archive with newer version of the beta of Linux server.

We can't reproduce the crash but we believe it's probably related to

http://www.hostingforum.ca/170823-floating-point-ex-running-any-c.html

Please try to download the server again from the same link and let us know if it helped.

We are still having problems with the FPE, Core dump emailed

running on SUSE 10.1:

It still saying:

The libraries are installed, the file(s) do exist. Is there a special root where the library-files have to be stored aswell?

libww --version commands says that we have the lib successfully running in 5.4.0.

So what can it be? Wrong Version? Wrong path?

We are desperate banghead.gif

The new version of the beta fixed the problem for me.

I therefore award the Most Incredible Support, Interaction And Response Time Awars (MISIARTA) award which I just invented to you guys in Bohemia. You rock.

Thank you!

running on SUSE 10.1:
Is it a 32-bit or 64-bit SUSE 10.1 installation? If you don't know, quote us the output of the command<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">uname -a(The ArmA server requires the 32-bit variant of those libs)
Quote[/b] ]It still saying:

The libraries are installed, the file(s) do exist. Is there a special root where the library-files have to be stored aswell?

Describe how you installed the W3C libwww files, starting with what package or archive you decided to use. One of the quickest ways of wrecking a Linux installation known to mankind is to "admin by ADD" and install the first package that appears after a search on google or rpmfind.net. wink_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]So what can it be? Wrong Version? Wrong path?

We are desperate banghead.gif

Chin up! Hopefully we'll be able to convince ArmA to see your libwww files. (This is where people who have made ArmA run on Suse 10.1 step in and tell us what libs/packages they used) thumbs-up.gif

Success(?) report

The ArmA server starts fine on the following setup:

Distribution: CentOS 5, 64-bit

Special packages not in the standard Yum repos: w3c-libwww-5.4.1-0.4.20060206cvs.fc6.i386.rpm (manually downloaded from your nearest Fedora 6 Extras repository.)

Odditites

1: The server starts, but when you interrupt it using CTRL-C you get a message about a string that's not registered followed by a segmentation fault. Example:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[user@somewhere arma] $ ./server -config=server.cfg

Updating base class ->Default, by ca\anims\characters\config.bin/CfgMovesBasic/DefaultDie/

Updating base class ->Default, by ca\anims\characters\config.bin/CfgMovesMaleSdr/States/Crew/

21:02:46 Dedicated host created.

21:02:47 Host identity created.

ArmA Console version 1.08 : port 2302 - Sockets

String id 1502 is not registered

21:03:07

Unreachable

Segmentation fault

[user@somewhere arma]$2: As reported by others, the profile file "player/player.armafile" is created with access permission 0400 (write-only for the owning user)

3: If you run the arma server as root, a file "arma.cfg" is created in the machines root folder, ie the file<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">/arma.cfgis created. Its contents are:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=1.000000;

Resolution_W=800;

Resolution_H=600;

Resolution_Bpp=32;Also, if I repeat the test in 1 above, an extra line of output is created:

Quote[/b] ][root@somewhere arma]# ./server -config=server.cfg

Updating base class ->Default, by ca\anims\characters\config.bin/CfgMovesBasic/DefaultDie/

Updating base class ->Default, by ca\anims\characters\config.bin/CfgMovesMaleSdr/States/Crew/

Applying controller scheme Default

21:18:34 Dedicated host created.

21:18:35 Host identity created.

ArmA Console version 1.08 : port 2302 - Sockets

String id 1502 is not registered

21:18:37

Unreachable

Segmentation fault

[root@somewhere arma]#

Its a AMD 64-Bit System we use.

We used w3c-libwww from here:

http://www.w3.org/Library/Distribution/w3c-libwww-5.4.0.tgz

and installed, as it is described on w3.org. The check on the system says that the libs are successfully running. But somehow, ArmA cannot find them.

Ok. I take it the .so files ended up in /usr/local/lib? Try this: check the dynamic linker run time bindings file (usually /etc/ld.so.conf ) and add a line to it if it's not there:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">/usr/local/libThen run ldconfig (as root) and after that's done, try the ldd command on the ArmA server executable to see if all the necessary libraries can be found. Example:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">ldd ./server

Or, perhaps the OpenSuse packages found here will work:

http://download.opensuse.org/reposit....586

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

ldd ./server

linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)

libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf7e6b000)

libwwwinit.so.0 => not found

libwwwapp.so.0 => not found

libwwwhtml.so.0 => not found

libwwwtelnet.so.0 => not found

libwwwnews.so.0 => not found

libwwwhttp.so.0 => not found

libwwwmime.so.0 => not found

libwwwgopher.so.0 => not found

libwwwftp.so.0 => not found

libwwwdir.so.0 => not found

libwwwcache.so.0 => not found

libwwwstream.so.0 => not found

libwwwfile.so.0 => not found

libwwwmux.so.0 => not found

libwwwtrans.so.0 => not found

libwwwcore.so.0 => not found

libwwwutils.so.0 => not found

libwwwzip.so.0 => not found

libwwwxml.so.0 => not found

libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0xf7e55000)

libmd5.so.0 => not found

libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xf7e30000)

libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xf7e1c000)

libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf7e11000)

libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xf7cf0000)

/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7f58000)

Looks like the profile is located at player/player.profile for me.

From the mountpoint of the device or the ArmA directory - where is that player/player.profile located? Does the installscript build a proper directory for it? Because we simply don't have any and it doesn't look like it is doing so.

The script is removing some files like the helpfiles (chm), binaries (exe) and some dynamic link libs (dll). It is then building the tolower binary, setting some restrictions and is then saying: "ArmA server was installed " *lol*

We just thrown the files from our vm to the linux fs.

I wonder how the rest of you is starting the servers. It sounds like just one stumbled over the profile-thingy and the rest is starting a not well configured server by using no profile and leave anything the way it is.

I mean i want to have the useless grass disabled due to performance issues with some clients, but without a user-config this setting is hard to make, so: where the heck are those profiles. With the Windows server, one can load a specfic profile that defines the settings for mp sessions for all clients. I know one can override the grass setting in a mission files, so the grass setting is just an example, but it raises also the next question whether or not, a missionsetting overrides a serversetting from which it effectively should inherit from crazy_o.gif

Hoot,

We started in our VM, I guess almost like you, with <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">...\arma_server.exe -port=... -name=server -config=... -profiles=Users

So we had the profile in ...\Users\server\server.ArmAProfile and a ArmA.cfg one dir. higher, I believe.

We're still looking for the profiles when starting the binary like that. huh.gif

FPE is gone now. But there're still some problems starting a game (even without special characters). We're pretty close figuring it out. Probably C is going to tell you more.

32b-Suse 10.1, 2.6.16.27

Hi Astra biggrin_o.gif

Yep in Windows not a problem, as told.

Okay you mean, the user directory is located in let's say:

hda(or whatever mountpoint one may choose)/arma/users/[profilename]/ huh.gif

I wonder because it is undocumented, and if it would handle it the same way like it does on Windows, then it would look in the /home directory to locate it.

The armaserver script is also trying per default to use $HOME, that's why i am a bit confused. It is not a must-have though, as i guess.

I want to to know from where the linuxsever loads a userconfig and the arma.cfg. I believe one has three cfgs at least on Windows: The userconfig, the armaconfig and finally the serverconfig.

Maybe it's better to hopp to the good old ALSR forums, maybe Hitman and others are still around to give a helping hand on this.

If you have further intel, Astra, then pls let us know. Btw, i should have C somewhere in my ICQ.

Anyway, a standard SuSE 9.3 seems to be just too old, but today we are going to perform the longed for upgrade to a proper Debian. The current SuSE is running since 2004 iirc - we now have a reason :P

Quote[/b] ]

xxxx:/arma # ./server

./server: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

xxxx:/arma # ldd server

libstdc++.so.6 => not found

libwwwinit.so.0 => not found

libwwwapp.so.0 => not found

libwwwhtml.so.0 => not found

libwwwtelnet.so.0 => not found

libwwwnews.so.0 => not found

libwwwhttp.so.0 => not found

libwwwmime.so.0 => not found

libwwwgopher.so.0 => not found

libwwwftp.so.0 => not found

libwwwdir.so.0 => not found

libwwwcache.so.0 => not found

libwwwstream.so.0 => not found

libwwwfile.so.0 => not found

libwwwmux.so.0 => not found

libwwwtrans.so.0 => not found

libwwwcore.so.0 => not found

libwwwutils.so.0 => not found

libwwwzip.so.0 => not found

libwwwxml.so.0 => not found

libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0x40022000)

libmd5.so.0 => not found

libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x40033000)

libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0x40055000)

libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x40065000)

libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x4006d000)

/lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)

Feisty, not Edgy as told yesterday, on the other hand is not bitching biggrin_o.gif

Would be nice to have a word from a dev to this topic.

Got running it on Fedora Core 6 64bit.

For all running on 64bit Linux:

As ArmA is 32bit you need to install w3c-libwww paket in 32bit-Version.

After installing them it just looks fine:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf7eff000)

libwwwinit.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwinit.so.0 (0xf7efc000)

libwwwapp.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwapp.so.0 (0xf7ee6000)

libwwwhtml.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwhtml.so.0 (0xf7ed9000)

libwwwtelnet.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwtelnet.so.0 (0xf7ed6000)

libwwwnews.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwnews.so.0 (0xf7ece000)

libwwwhttp.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwhttp.so.0 (0xf7eb9000)

libwwwmime.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwmime.so.0 (0xf7eae000)

libwwwgopher.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwgopher.so.0 (0xf7eaa000)

libwwwftp.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwftp.so.0 (0xf7ea2000)

libwwwdir.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwdir.so.0 (0xf7e9d000)

libwwwcache.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwcache.so.0 (0xf7e93000)

libwwwstream.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwstream.so.0 (0xf7e8b000)

libwwwfile.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwfile.so.0 (0xf7e81000)

libwwwmux.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwmux.so.0 (0xf7e7d000)

libwwwtrans.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwtrans.so.0 (0xf7e77000)

libwwwcore.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwcore.so.0 (0xf7e48000)

libwwwutils.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwutils.so.0 (0xf7e40000)

libwwwzip.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwzip.so.0 (0xf7e3c000)

libwwwxml.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwwwxml.so.0 (0xf7e31000)

libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x00339000)

libmd5.so.0 => /usr/lib/libmd5.so.0 (0xf7e2e000)

libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x002f7000)

libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x00320000)

libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf7e21000)

libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x001af000)

/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00192000)

libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x002f1000)

libssl.so.6 => /lib/libssl.so.6 (0xf7ddc000)

libcrypto.so.6 => /lib/libcrypto.so.6 (0xf7ca9000)

libexpat.so.0 => /lib/libexpat.so.0 (0x00562000)

libgssapi_krb5.so.2 => /usr/lib/libgssapi_krb5.so.2 (0xf7c7d000)

libkrb5.so.3 => /usr/lib/libkrb5.so.3 (0xf7bf5000)

libcom_err.so.2 => /lib/libcom_err.so.2 (0xf7bf2000)

libk5crypto.so.3 => /usr/lib/libk5crypto.so.3 (0xf7bcc000)

libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0xf7bb8000)

libkrb5support.so.0 => /usr/lib/libkrb5support.so.0 (0xf7bb0000)

Regards

Loneship