Sign in to follow this  
Taco

Queen's Gambit goes gold!!!

Well, I went ahead and got it through petergames since it's pretty hard to come by where I live. The first file download went great, a solid 239 kb/s. The second however is going at 6 kb/s!

Super-speed my hiney.

Well, 32 hours to go...

Same here, went the Metaboli route for ARMA and got QG last night. Both files DL'd at the same time each at over 200k/sec. Now to just get time to try it out.

Guess I'm the only one having that bin download problem. And now it stalled. Back to square one...

...I getting mildly upset now  wink_o.gif

EDIT: And a good thing it is that it stalled on me. DL speeds are much better now.

I'll stop panicking now then.

Same here, went the Metaboli route for ARMA and got QG last night. Both files DL'd at the same time each at over 200k/sec. Now to just get time to try it out.

How big is each file? I may have to buy it online too. Seems the South African distributer has split up with 505 Games, they removed all references to 505 and ArmA from their site huh.gif I don't see any local release date for QG anywhere.

You're looking at a good two gig download, distributed over two files.

one file of 1.3Gb and one of 810Mb so 2110Mb (2,1Gb) in total, also did the metaboli download, and it came at a steady 350kb/s, excellent!(and it works biggrin_o.gif )

one file of 1.3Gb and one of 810Mb so 2110Mb (2,1Gb) in total, also did the metaboli download, and it came at a steady 350kb/s, excellent!(and it works biggrin_o.gif )

Thanks Kode and Hund smile_o.gif

No serial number for this? I just got my confirmation E-mail and there is no serial number - the line is blank. Is this normal?

Weird

E

Yeah i didnt get a serial number either from metaboli. Installed fine and works fine however, And a nice price at $20

No serial number for this? I just got my confirmation E-mail and there is no serial number - the line is blank. Is this normal?

Weird

E

I just bought it online too, after failing to find it in any of my local shops, and I also had a blank "key" line.

Downloading in 1,5mb/s, so I'm happy and hope it works well.

Yeah i didnt get a serial number either from metaboli. Installed fine and works fine however, And a nice price at $20

$20.00? How come I paid 14.95(Pounds)? ($30.00)

And the US dollar is atrocious at the moment, I almost spat out my coffee when I heard that the Canadian dollar was worth more.

E

14 €uros for metaboli dl-version. Not bad. Everything works fine. Playing Royal Flush. smile_o.gif

And the US dollar is atrocious at the moment, I almost spat out my coffee when I heard that the Canadian dollar was worth more.

Hi all

In reply to ethne it is called Tax Debt. The US republican party cons the US voters it can reduce taxes but what it does is run up massive credit card style debt mostly with the Chinese banks. This hides the fact that they actualy increase government spending mostly on pork and special deals for fat cats who give nice jobs for administration members at the US Tax payers expense. You get what you vote for mate.

Just got my copy from Game the UK high street computer game shop. Where they have upped the price to UK Pounds 19.99 but I want it, straight in at 17 in the charts so I guess they increased the price because they want more cash retailers tend to do it with good sellers. sad_o.gif

It is installing now on my other machine looking forward to playing on the new island.

Regards walker

Don't worry ethne, I nearly blew my nose into my beer when I read your post. And to volkov956, cheers for the link man, only took a second look, and well.... Stuff my budget! Only wish the D/L was going at full speed, like 40KB/s.... Dude! Hope theres some goodies to find! biggrin_o.gif

There's a new teaser trailer at http://www.armaholic.com/index.php?m=single&id=2123 and I have to say that 00:57-00:54 looks damn amazing! That guy flying out from an exploding mosk (or something) is just yay.gif

Nice video, but is it just me who thinks the majority of the units are actually player controlled. The AI in ArmA just wouldnt be able to do some of the scenes in that video.

From my experiances with editing in ArmA the Ai is dumer than in that vid.

I didnt see any real AI behaviour, it was just a scripted cutscene?  huh.gif

This is my point exactly. For those that havn't played flashpoint or arma, that teaser vid shows ingame footage of units healing on street corners while being covered and fighting in buildings. This just doesnt happen in SP.

Ontopic; If i'm ever to get QG i'll wait until the stores are giving it away. Even though 14 quid is a low price QG isnt worth anywhere near that IMHO. This is a 6.99 expansion at best.

Can't help agreeing. I'm not wholly impressed by this addon, the lack of a patch and a whole new game in less than 12 months. I want to stand behind BIS but having played for about 2 hours now, the best I can say is it's ok. I would have rather had a patch and considering Quake Wars is 17 quid and that is a full game, this addon should not be 15 quid, that is seriously taking the michael given the state ArmA is in at the moment.

I don't know who/what the driving force is behind BIS's new strategy but I would seriously consider rethinking it. You don't announce new games and release retail addons when your original game isnt finished.

E

PS : Im actually going to dispute the CC charge tbh. There is no way this should be 15 quid sad_o.gif

EA shouldn't have released a single new game since years then.

(The average time between main releases in battlefield series is 18 months) I've hardly ever seen an EA game that was actually playable, without major community efforts.

To see how few new content you can sell for quite a lot of money check Ubis addon packs for the Rainbow 6 series, particulary for Ravenshield.

BIS spoiled us with OPF:Resistance. It had more gameplay time in its campaign than 3 average first person shooters together. There was a patch up to 1.96 finding almost all bugs. That's hell of a lot, and suddenly half the community expects BIS to surpas this.

I feel almost like in music, where a band has a great, criticaly acclaimed and well sold first album. When they release the second one they get bashed, for not being even more of a genius than with their first one.

Game industry standard are contracts of publisher and developer for the final game and *ONE* patch after release.

EA shouldn't have released a single new game since years then.

(The average time between main releases in battlefield series is 18 months) I've hardly ever seen an EA game that was actually playable, without major community efforts.

To see how few new content you can sell for quite a lot of money check Ubis addon packs for the Rainbow 6 series, particulary for Ravenshield.

BIS spoiled us with OPF:Resistance. It had more gameplay time in its campaign than 3 average first person shooters together. There was a patch up to 1.96 finding almost all bugs. That's hell of a lot, and suddenly half the community expects BIS to surpas this.

I feel almost like in music, where a band has a great, criticaly acclaimed and well sold first album. When they release the second one they get bashed, for not being even more of a genius than with their first one.

Game industry standard are contracts of publisher and developer for the final game and *ONE* patch after release.

OFP was class and was supported by BIS throughout its lifetime.

The situation we are in now is completely different. BIS didnt announce a new game 9 months after the first one in the case of OFP. They constantly worked on OFP, releasing content (retail and patches). That is what made OFP great (and the stellar community).

Now we have ArmA (an unfinished product), a retail addon and a new game on the way. Hopefully you can see the serious differences involved here.

E

Yeah not interested in QG, I want 1.09 patch!!!. I bet if they did not waste time on this addon then the patch would be out months ago.. but no money in releasing a patch..

whistle.gif

Anyone know when it will be available in the US? It is available as a digital download? Thanks.

Well got QG today, and have been exploring the multiplayer angles ever since.

Porto is smallish but will be absolutely brilliant for multiplayer - there are ladders, stairs and windows absolutely everywhere - you'll need your wits about you in team games for certain!

My ONLY gripe about Porto is that it could do with better cover between the ends of the Island and the city in the centre, however some creative editing will soon fix that.

The Partisan and Mercenary troops will be a fun addition to MP games too I think, but they could have been better balanced - again some script to reassign some weapons will fix this - however their default loadouts ARE good anyway.

The new vehicles with the mounted guns will be fun in multiplayer too I think. the DC3 transport plane will be a welcome addition for parachute-drop missions - but PLEASE someone make a better engine sound for it!

On my system the grass on Porto is almost bright-white no matter what I change or do - it virtually glows and renders all camouflage useless. Anyone else got this problem?

Overall I am very pleased with Porto and the new units, but the grass is a worry on Porto?

What happened to all the shiny new buildings and fixed buildings on the new United Sahrani? The way it was promoted I expected the burned out buildings in Corazol fixed, new offices and shiny tower things in Corazol.

All I can see after a 3+ hour flight around the WHOLE Island is a wire fence around the airbase, a new hotel on the little island in the bay North of Corazol (Gd48), a new wood-sawmill complex (that you cannot get inside of!) at Gj18 and a hospital in the 'Robin-Hood land' at Hb21, some trashed buildings (that were standing before) at Ea17, various trees seem to have grown a bit and I think there's some trees where before there were not.

What exactly is in this 'modernised' Island that we could not have mostly very easily achieved through a tiny bit of script?

Where are all the new buildings that we were expecting?

At the very least I thought that Corazol would have been rebuilt?!??

The 'White elephant' at Bagango (big government building) is still un-enterable (which I admit to hoping would be made useable at some stage), and even after all these years since the battles that raged before, nobody at the department for public works has bothered to fix the damn lifts in the hotel - nor even put an out-of-order sign up!

So, a mixed-bag reaction from me I'm afraid - some stuff will be a very welcome addition, glowing grass aside, but what exactly was the point of 'United Sahrani' that would seem to be very little changed from the original - and those changes so small from a gameplay perspective?

Anyway, time to make a map that can use Porto to full advantage - cya online guys.

I was just talking to a friend and he really put it in perspective. So many people make addons et al for this game and they do it for free. I could spend paragraphs naming them. They spend hours, days, weeks developing content for absolutely no monetary gain.

I was just playing around with the RHS Soviet pack and it is really just staggering how much work has gone into the weapons etc. I am not singling RHS out as there are so many modders, mappers, coders etc that make ArmA great.

That is the reason QG is an insult IMHO. BIS have neglected a much needed patch to make a retail addon that is quite clearly not worth 15 pounds.

I would much rather have given that money to modders etc as the best content in OFP and ArMA never came from BIS. BIS needs to concentrate on the engine, the mechanics if you like. The community has never had a problem churning out endless quality content.

We need patches, not announcements about new games and retail addons.

Cheers

E