Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

chATI Catalyst 7.9 WHQL

wow, i got real good improvment in FPS

where i'd normally get 35 -+3 FPS, i got almost a steady 60.

Which drivers were you using before, and what card?

Didn't notice any FPS improvement, didn't perform a thorough test though, just a quick messing about in the editor smile_o.gif  

@Dynamax

Maybe you were using really bad driver settings before and now that the new driver reset them to defaults you've got this magic boost tounge2.gif

Please lord have an X1950 PRO ... xmas_o.gif

Downloading now =)

they suck for me. tried the hot fix first, then the WHQLs. They make the ground textures grey at distance with square patches of green... tested with a few different drivers ect... 7.9s bad for my 2900's. The 7.8s tho are great. Also the flickering textures for buildings came back with them, 7.9s...

I installed these drivers and now ArmA wont start, just gives this error (RPT file):<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Resolution failed: 800x600x (75 Hz)

ErrorMessage: Cannot create 3D device:

Adapter 0 (RADEON 9800 SERIES) Fullscreen

Resolution 800x600, format X8R8G8B8/A8R8G8B8/D24S8, refresh 75 Hz.

Error D3DERR_INVALIDCALL

Never ever install new drivers/stuff if you're middle in a cool mission smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]they suck for me. tried the hot fix first, then the WHQLs. They make the ground textures grey at distance with square patches of green.

Im getting same problem with 2900XT.

Maybe we should all mention our OS as well smile_o.gif  So:

E6750@stock, 2 GB RAM, x1950pro PCI-E, WinXP Pro SP2 - no performance loss or gain compared to 7.8

Quote[/b] ]they suck for me. tried the hot fix first, then the WHQLs. They make the ground textures grey at distance with square patches of green.

Im getting same problem with 2900XT.

me too crazy_o.gif

Asus M2N-E, 2Gig 6800 OCZ Platnum, AMD 64 X2 4600+, ATI X1950XTX 512MB, WD 200GB SATA2.

hope that helps

also i no longer crash when watching streaming video. YAY!

Having a "special" x1950 (over clocked card, from HIS) should I use the official ATI drivers or HIS drivers? HIS recommand their drivers for their cards, but they are always way late compared to ATI.

(Latest HIS drivers are ATI XP Driver Verison: XP_8.401-070727a-050964C-ATI with WHQL)

Any idea?

Dwarden or someone else might know more, but I believe that the VAR drivers are based on the ATI drivers... I don't think it should make much of a difference. Your VAR card may have features that aren't present on the OEM boards.. but I was using ASUS a8500 beta drivers (or whatever they called that board) with an AMD/ATI x850 setup and there was no problem.

In other news, I upgraded drivers AND upgraded to two x1950s and ArmA still locks up when I try to use crossfire mode with either ArmA.exe or AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe. :/

edit: HL2.exe doesn't cause ArmA to fail to start but there is no framerate increase to be seen. I think adaptive AA is working tho.

Just tried crossfire myself, not impressed: HAD to run it XP as (in the very small print hidden in the mobo manual, below a sign saying 'beware of the leopard', it isists XP only) and nothing would work under 2000 despite hours trying -  disabling the Catalyst-AI allowed ArmA to at least run, but fps increases? Hardly worth even mentioning, certainly not worth the expense. The lack of crossfire information 'out there' is appaling, and the enclosed instructions (JOKE!) are pathetic.  Spent best part of two days solid trying to get it to work for nothing.  So, now happily XP uninstalled :D , and the kid's PC just gained a new graphics card instead and my setup's gone back to a solo card.

Perhaps these new Realtek WDM drivers will help instead.

(edit: the cards were 1950s too)

you can use latest drivers usually with any "SUPPORTED" family cards for standard operations ...

usually vendors only add own logo and ID tags etc ...

from time to time ASUS or similar bigger vendors add bonus features into drivers ...

any visual improvements with this new drivers? for the ATI, using x1950 pro 512mb?

going to try them right away.

Right after installing 7.9 and rebooting I got BSOD and memory dump. (atitray.sys being the faulty driver)

This is what I did:

- Latest ATI Tray Tools and 7.8 drivers worked fine

- Uninstalled 7.8 and rebooted

- Installed 7.9 and rebooted

- After boot BSOD as described above

- Booted to Safe Mode and disabled ATI Smart and ATI HotKey Poller services

- After boot everyting worked ok

- I seem to get slightly better FPS with 7.9 in ArmA

(Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro, 256mb)

if you got AGP X1950pro or similar AGP card then 7.9 got note in known issues it may go all completely KO including total boot fail

let me sum up ... great official drivers smile_o.gif i wonder why they simply not do this

IF AGP & X1950 == THEN ABORT install smile_o.gif

I have a Sapphire X1950 PRO 512mb AGP card and i installed it with no problems.. :S Is it worth rolling back to 7.7 (7.8 didnt work for me) .. i dont really want a boot fail :S :S

not needed that boot fail is first thing what happens just after install

if all works You are safe 99.99% smile_o.gif

any visual improvements with this new drivers? for the ATI, using x1950 pro 512mb?

going to try them right away.

I noticed visual improvements, but I also changed out videocards. There appears to be more contrast in the lighting now.