Sign in to follow this  
Doolittle

Doolittle CTI

Well I never thought of it as cheating AI lol. Was thinking of a way to have AI defending the town without causing lag because of to many AI on the map at one time. This has been used in many CTI maps as well as popular maps like Evolution.

This is why I have it so that if resistance wanders into town and is able to recapture it, then they will parachute in troops to secure the town.

Quote[/b] ]The goal is now to destroy the enemy base, and you get more money for the more cities you own.

Why did you change these?

Those made your map stand out from ordinary CTI in my view. confused_o.gif

Can you please elaborate Doolittle. help.gif

I'm not worried about standing out... since the only "CTI" out there at the moment is RTS-4! (Unless I'm mistaken?)

*cough*..

kpcti if i may..

Btw, i will probably, "steal" some of your ideas.. Love the powerplant and parachute vehicles if you got radiotowers, however does won't really go with my cti but.. still, nice work man.

Doolittle, not that I don't like the day/night cycle - it works well but it should be an option if you want accelerated time or not. Personally, I hate fighting at night.

Well I can always make time at night go by much faster than day. The day cycle does add flavor though.

Okay, I put up another version. I hope you don't mind the fast flowing versions. Sometimes I get time to work on it, sometimes I don't. Beta 27 adds vehicles that spawn locked, towns worth less money, more AI in towns, AI should stay in towns.

I almost have transfer money done... but not yet.

Doolittle

P.S. I can't find missing G36 ammo. Are you sure? It's only in GUER boxes.

Doolittle, not that I don't like the day/night cycle - it works well but it should be an option if you want accelerated time or not. Personally, I hate fighting at night.

Ask your self why you like ArmA. Realism and immersion, unsurpassed by any other game, would be my guess. I'm suprised to hear ArmA players complaining about fighting at night. After all its a simulation.

Why ignore one of the essential aspects of any combat simulation. Shitty weather and Night fighting add to the immersion, for me at least. Too many maps have been made with the weather hot and sunny. gets tedious after a while.

FDF had the most awful weather and fighting conditions and that made it ooze atmosphere.

Hello love this cti doolittle. Please make sped up time an option not defualt. I love to watch the lovely sunrise and sunsets as I massacre the enemy, whilst listening to the Pixes in tribute to the maker of this great cti. I agree with the above post in the domination mission theres fog and rain that you can see on the map so you can kinda look at the weather forecast and judge what action to take really adds to immersion IMO.

I dunno if this will make sense to you, but:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">private ["_randrangefunc", "_overcast"];

_randrangefunc = {

(_this select 0) + random ((_this select 1) - (_this select 0));

};

_overcast = random 0.7;

while {true} do {

if (random 1 < 0.5) then {

_overcast = _overcast - ([0.1, 0.3] call _randrangefunc);

} else {

_overcast = _overcast + ([0.1, 0.3] call _randrangefunc);

};

if (_overcast < 0) then {_overcast = abs _overcast};

if (_overcast > 1) then {_overcast = 2 - _overcast};

weatherlogicstr = format ["%1 setOvercast %2", [10, 20] call _randrangefunc, _overcast];

publicVariable "weatherlogicstr";

sleep ([60, 200] call _randrangefunc);

};

This is the "weather" code. Basically it starts the map at a number between 0 and 0.7. Then it moves randomly UP or DOWN anywhere from 0.1 to 0.3. Then it waits anywhere from 60 seconds to 200 seconds and then loops again, moving randomly up or down. So the weather fluctuates.

This is the time code:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">private ["_hour"];

while {true} do {

sleep 10;

_hour = date select 3;

if ((_hour >= 2 and _hour < 7) or (_hour >= 16 and _hour < 21)) then {

setDate [date select 0, date select 1, date select 2, date select 3, (date select 4) + 1.67];

} else {

if (_hour >= 7 and _hour < 16) then {

setDate [date select 0, date select 1, date select 2, date select 3, (date select 4) + 1.87];

} else {

setDate [date select 0, date select 1, date select 2, date select 3, (date select 4) + 4.17];

};

};

};

What this does is every 10 seconds it moves time forward. How fast it moves forward depends on what time it is. I noticed during sunrise and sunset it is VERY noticeable the time changing, so I move it the minimum amount during those times. If it's during the middle of the day then I move forward a little faster, and if it's at night then I move forward as fast as possible. The entire cycle is 2 hours for 1 day in game time. The goal here was to move forward as much as possible without making it noticeable, and also to make it so nighttime doesn't last that long, since I don't like night myself, but do like to maybe plan a raid or something in the night. Plus, to quote Aliens, "they mostly come out at night, mostly".

Doolittle

Ask your self why you like ArmA.  Realism and immersion, unsurpassed by any other game, would be my guess.  I'm suprised to hear ArmA players complaining about fighting at night.  After all its a simulation.  

Why ignore one of the essential aspects of any combat simulation.  Shitty weather and Night fighting add to the immersion, for me at least.  Too many maps have been made with the weather hot and sunny.  gets tedious after a while.  

FDF had the most awful weather and fighting conditions and that made it ooze atmosphere.

I can see your point but if I really wanted more realism - i'd go play paintball. For me, a computer game should be fun, relaxing and a joy to play anytime I want to escape reality for a little bit. I don't find it much fun playing at night with a green monochrome display and only a small circle for my field of view.. it just annoys me.

Doolittle thanks for pointing out the code and explaining it - I can now change things to my liking.

is it possible to change the colour of townflags for blufor to blue? now they are green. but the colour for blufor in the lobby is blue. another reason is the name "blufor". it sounds blue. the third reason is in tactical menoeuvres of nato the colour for west is blue.

then i suggest yellow for resistance and green for unoccupied.

<s>Okay, cool news: originally I had made this mission with only 3 teams in mind. Then things evolved, as you know, to allowing 2 and 1 team even. I had forgotten the reason I had the Helipad with Urals you can re-buy was because of the game mechanics behind having 3 teams, which is: if one team's dead then you have to allow them the chance to get back on their feet while the other 2 duke it out. Well, now that there's the 2 teams... I'm making it so that you can't re-buy the Ural from the Helipad. (You still can if 1 team or 3 team playing) So now if you kill that yellow Ural, enemy won't be able to build any more. This should make it more like old OFP CTI.</s>

Edit: I'm going to add a param that lets you choose if you can buy a Ural or not. This means if you kill someone's Ural then they won't be able to build anymore. (You can still build respawns and mercenary camps with repair truck)

I'm also expanding on the locked vehicles and making the starting Ural be locked and only the officer can unlock it.

Doolittle

when u are near two or more trucks (repair, ammo, mhq) it is sometimes hard to choose the menu for the desired truck through the actionmenu. the same difficulty is there with near buildings.

is it possible to show in the actionmenu the options of all the reachable trucks or buildings? then it were possible to choose the options of the desired truck or building in the actionmenue.

katzenscheisse @ Jan. 24 2008,14:21)]is it possible to change the colour of townflags for blufor to blue? now they are green. but the colour for blufor in the lobby is blue. another reason is the name "blufor". it sounds blue. the third reason is in tactical menoeuvres of nato the colour for west is blue.

then i suggest yellow for resistance and green for unoccupied.

If you are a certain team and you hit "I" to see scores, you will see BLUFOR is green and Independent is blue. icon_rolleyes.gif

New beta 28 is out. Thanks to your feedback! Fix: Ammo depot and other things not building off in some weird spot. Added ability to transfer funds (yeayyy). Added SU34 LGB. AI controlled players will say stuff like: "Enemy tank spotted at Bonanza" or "Enemy plane spotted at Ortego".. it's amazing how much that makes the world seem more alive. Also get message when commander builds something. Also you can't buy Urals anymore.. so now it's more and more like old CTI.

Doolittle

P.S. Rewrote entire briefing/notes section.

P.P.S. Also Ural starts locked and officer must unlock it.

Very nice I'll try to get some folks together and test tonight! yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

oh nice ,sounds like you getting home to cti what it is !!

i will test it now.

Beta 29 now out (see first page). Found bad bug where AI would get stuck thinking if they had all flags captured. This was adding bad lag to game on server end. (Only because sleep 0.01 in loop meant I didn't notice at first. Had been there for a while?)

Added a red "!" on map where enemy supposedly spotted... (based on cool nearTargets command)

Doolittle

Playing the last few versions there have been ALOT of changes and it looks like DLCTI is coming along VERY NICE! I was most impressed with the AI changes. It seemed there was alot more ressistance in and out of towns which not only made it very hard to hold a town but also to capture the others. The fixed AI scripts really made a difference serverside, and playerside as well which made the game a 10 to play for lag factor. There were also many enemy air sightings, although we thought not enough. I think it would be a very fun game this way playing two teams.

The biggest complaint was that the Enemy bases always spawn in the same spot allowing players to simply camp that spot to prevent AI from taking towns. I hate to even think about asking for an AI commander that actually builds a base, but we actually had a player come into the game and go staight to the enemy base and spawn kill them for like 45mins /rolf.

In MFCTI I believe each AI officer spawned a different unit depending on if that building was available to build it. If the enemy commander could build a barracks, garage, tank factory, and airport at the beginning of the game; the AI Officers could then build whatever they need to spawn thier squads until that building is destroyed. In addition the AI commander would fortify the base with his own troops. There would be no players hunting for the enemy base until they could either destroy it or put a hurting on it.  

Also is this still capture all towns, or destroy enemy base? I was under the impression you could win either way. What we did was build a base and watch how the AI react and take towns, build reinforcments ect.... We then satcheled our entire base and destroyed the Ural. We found that the game didn't end... we were just stuck without any buildings and no way to rebuild lol. We were thinking it should have been end of game? However taking all the towns did result in a win.

One other thing of concern was the unmanned vehicals lying around the battlefield. After awile there were quite a few vehicals lying all over the place. At one point into the game I think I counted 3 M1A1's, 2 M113's, and a couple 4x4's. The problem is that when an AI dies in a vehical, other AI's won't enter that vehical. There should be a time limit on vehicals that are not locked by players to despawn. This would not only free up lag (not that we experienced any), but also keep battlefields from becoming too cluttered like that. When a player buys a vehical it needs to be unlocked. If you could lock the vehical before leaving it stationary to prevent it from despawning this would also be cool. There's plenty of money in the game once players get a few towns, so vehicals shouldn't be an issue. If players plan to repair a vehical they should have at least a reasonable amount of time before the vehical despawns due to abandonment.

Also it would be very cool if a player/commander had the option to buy other players vehicals from the factories. This would be equally as cool as the transfer money scripts notworthy.gif

Lastly, towns taken by players should not spawn reinforcments. This should be supplied by the player and makes it to easy for players to take other towns and keep the ones they have already liberated. It's nice that when Enemy AI takes a town they get reinforcments because they cannot buy things on thier own, however a player should have to use his AI in order to occupy towns and build front lines.

Here's a list of bugs we found during the game:

1.   Can unlock vehicals but cannot lock them (Urals and Bough Vehicals).

2.   Weapons crates that can be dropped from the radio tower have no NVG's, Binoculars, or Laser Designators in them.

3.  When you order an ammo crate from the radio tower it drops to far from the player.

4.  Prices still need some tweaking, players felt that things still need to be more expensive.

5.  Enemy AI despawn to quickly after being killed. Players do not have enough time to rearm off dead bodies inbetween fire fights.

This is what I found from testing V27 - V29, Keep Up the Good Work Man!  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif

Im gonna put this map on both XR Servers. I also upload it to our addon data base http://cr-ofp.dyndns.org/ or anyone can when signed in

Havent had time to test it on my main server as it always gets hijacked for Sahrani Life  whistle.gif

I try test this later anyway. btw is cti_60_doo_south_b28 the latist version?

- Brit

Quote[/b] ]Beta 29 now out (see first page). Found bad bug where AI would get stuck thinking if they had all flags captured. This was adding bad lag to game on server end. (Only because sleep 0.01 in loop meant I didn't notice at first. Had been there for a while?)

Added a red "!" on map where enemy supposedly spotted... (based on cool nearTargets command)

See first post for download link.

@blazen:

i like that ai spawn in towns that i conquered. i need my own ai to attack next town.

@doolittle:

it would be great, if the commander could make the ai-group-leader spawn in the base or at a fieldhospital. i would like to have more ai in my squad as in former versions.

I agree the commander should be able to give the AI officers some sort of direction. Me and a friend had a conversation about this last night.

First the commander could have the option to move the Helipad. Perhaps this could be done if the commander pays for it. Or maybe there could be rules to moving the Helipad like it can't be built out of radio tower range.

Secondly, the commander should have the option to set waypoints he would like the AI officers to go to. In OFP I think this was done by press and holding shift and left clicking on the map. Dunno if this works for ArmA but it would be nice if the commander could tell the AI's where he needs them to go, and where he needs them to respawn at.

Ive been testing with Blazen and i must say build 29 is awsome. Britxr had it up on XR server and Blazen and several others were playing PvP. I came in later after they were playing for hours. Ai are good and also much harder to take towns. Ive been wanting to post about this but just now got the right to. a couple of bugs i noticed.

1. Problem with commander unlocking Civil ural. He will unlock but options disapear not letting u get in ural. also with this if sometimes he has the option to get in driver seat once he gets in there is no option to get out only to turn off motor.

2. Also head bug seems to be poping up when u switch  between squad members somtimes.

Otherwise this build is the best one yet and keep up the hard work doolittile i apreciate it much smile_o.gif

Also would like to say hi to all my oFP Arma Brotherin out there. And Thank you bi For arma and making me finaly to get new computer,,lol.