Sign in to follow this  
22gs2rgj

subdivision

hi does anybody now of a way to reduce the amount of poly's in a model, like is there a reverse subdivision or something.i've made a bergen and i've got too many vertices and thought i would ask before i started the whole thing again.

i have modo,c4d and 3dsmax.

help much appreciated banghead.gif

in 3ds max : Optimize

in modo: Reduction tool

its different algorithm than 'reverse subdivision'. Program has to calculate which faces can be merged without destruct of basic shape. In most cases you can set some parameters like percent of edges which has to stay or how many faces you like to be gone

(uh, sorry for language)

There was an 'Optimize' tool in the old Oxygen, but in the new O2 I can't seem to find it unfortunately. If all else fails, try exporting it to the old O2, and using its Optimize feature.

for lightwave=construct-reduce,but it does screw up the wireframe(as in lines not symetric) although shape stays the same but the uv map should still be ok.

There was an 'Optimize' tool in the old Oxygen, but in the new O2 I can't seem to find it unfortunately. If all else fails, try exporting it to the old O2, and using its Optimize feature.

There is "merge near" option now. Merges verticles that are closer than selected distance.

Quote[/b] ]There was an 'Optimize' tool in the old Oxygen,

Afaik and remember this 'only' deletes double faces and merges vertexes witch can be merged...witch are in the same cords...

Haven't bothered to check if this option is still there, guess it is more or less the same as the 'degenerated faces - check/repair" option, although that only shows 'useless' faces like faces created and act as lines...

Offtopic above.

As for optimizing.

There are indeed auto optimizing tools in some 3d programs, but personally i prefer the old fashion way and controle/optimize your mesh manually. Auto doesn't always translate in correct or correct with possible change of floaws.