Sign in to follow this  
hypno toad

Bullets do richochet off of water :)

Lots of people complain about bullets ricocheting off of water, well, it turns out that it actually happens, I didn't know that.

If you already knew this that is great, you don't have to point it out.

I saw this the other day... flying a littlebird in the dark over water, no nightvision on, and i shoot the minigun and then all the red tracers bounce off the water and go all over the place.

I was shocked.

This is precisely why it's unsafe to shoot into water

(in a civilian "sport" shooting context). There's a good

chance that a round might skip off and nail someone.

Do ArmA hand grenades still bounce off the water? Did they

ever tone down that effect?

Not only that, but in that video you can see the tracer bullets self destructing when they hit the water. They hit at such a speed that it's like hitting concrete, destroying them, and rendering them relatively harmless. This is also modeled in ArmA.

I was playing Dynamic War yesterday, having fun using the 'Focus' action (setacctime 0.2 or something) and 'Bullet Cam', and I was amazed to see that some of my rounds were ricocheting off the enemy's weapons and helmets.

I shot an RPG grenadier, and my round clipped the top of his RPG launcher (I know this because small sparks and a bit of dust flew at the point of impact).

I shot another soldier and my bullet actually ricocheted off the top of his helmet.

Also, I was hurting them even by very near misses (hitting the ground directly below them for instance) as I could hear them scream.

ArmA is so impressive when you view everything in slow-mo. You should really try it thumbs-up.gif

5-10 years ago a Danish stinger gunner bounched one back on a wave.

5-10 years ago a Danish stinger gunner bounched one back on a wave.

Why would someone launch an AA missile at a body of water, much less a wave? confused_o.gif

Not only that, but in that video you can see the tracer bullets self destructing when they hit the water. They hit at such a speed that it's like hitting concrete, destroying them, and rendering them relatively harmless. This is also modeled in ArmA.

Those are moving pretty fast, even if they are not shaped properly, one of those hitting you would be like getting hit by a sub sonic ball bering.

I'm impressed. is there any tactical value in this effect?

I'm impressed. is there any tactical value in this effect?

Well, rather tactical danger. In missions with civilians, or in crossfire situations bullets might ricochet and hit unintended targets. And shooting a buddy in the head with a ricochet might not be the best event of the day sad_o.gif

Water shield trick: go as deep into water without having to swim and bring up the gear menu. Instant water shield against raging bullets, you don't even drown!

I found out the hard way. Mate of mine was mucking around trying to scare me with his air rifle and shot just in front of me while i was walking across a shallow river. The pellet ricochet and hit me in the thigh. Just a pellet gun but left a very nasty bruise for a couple of weeks not to mention a bit of a surprise......especially being so close to my man hood....

now if it was a 50cal round.......

It's easy to believe that rifle bullets ricochet off of water in real life but even higher caliber rounds seem to do that too. A lot.

I didn't believe it before I saw with my own eyes.

Last winter on refresher course our team shot about a hundred rounds with 95mm heavy recoilless anti-tank gun on a firing range that ended at the sea. And about two-thirds of the rounds that didn't hit anything solid and landed on water in low angle bounced off of water. Some of them even multiple times before they slowed down.

So why doesn't all the shells ricochet like that in the game? It would be pointless, I know, but fun! biggrin_o.gif

So why doesn't all the shells ricochet like that in the game? It would be pointless, I know, but fun! biggrin_o.gif

They do.

They do.

They do? I once tried that but all the tank gun shells just exploded/sunk. confused_o.gif

They do.

They do? I once tried that but all the tank gun shells just exploded/sunk. confused_o.gif

It happens all the time in Anchor Rage, a maritime boat deathmatch.

Tank shells are strange they don't have a model, its like an explosion effect at a 2d coordinate. Fire a Tank shell at the top of a tall building and the explosion effect always emanates from the base of it for instance.

@ Oct. 05 2007,09:17)]Tank shells are strange they don't have a model, its like an explosion effect at a 2d coordinate. Fire a Tank shell at the top of a tall building and the explosion effect always emanates from the base of it for instance.

Are you sure that is true for the tank_shell? I have noticed similar behavior with the M203_HE grenades and I'm pretty sure it has a model for the round.

Instead, I think there is some loss of z-coordinate information during the transition from round impact to explosion generation.