Sign in to follow this  
shadylurker

Vista64 w/4gig of ram black screen  **FIX*

Yeah, I found out that pulling out one RAM card (and leaving 3 gig) does the trick. I can assure you that it runs stable on Vista 64 bit for me.

im running 4 gigs now, the problem seems to be with the display settings as long as you change it you can run 4 gigs

read the update

No good to me!

And I refuse to take out 1 stick of memory only to play this game.

All games i have work just fine with my vista and 4 gigs, only arma is refusing to run.

i took out a gig, changed setting than put it back in, no joy.

I find it odd that it works fine on XP 64bit with 4GB ram, just my mic wont work on that.

I have Vista Ultimate x64 and 2x 2gb OCZ Ram and I get a black screen and then just a 2 colour menu blocky with no text at some low low reso.

Don't want to remove half my ram every time I want to play this and none of these workarounds work for me, nor the Microsoft Hotfix. When I install that my PC restarts and finds a Simple PCI Communications installer with no drivers, no idea what this is either!

So nowadays if you upgrade your PC, you are too far ahead of the game developers and have to go back to some old sh*tty XP machine.

I'm guessing money back isn't an option as it's all about money for these people hey!

This is an NVIDIA driver issue. The 15x.xx series did not have this issue.

PS, it will work with 3gb, you only need to pull one stick.

how can you say it is an nvidia issue, then in the same sentence say taking our RAM sorts it.  Unless you think I need to take ram out of my graphics card lol.

I had exactly the same set up working using vista home premium x64, just installed ultimate and problems started, so, no its not a driver issue as I am using the same driver as I did on premium

If I pull one stick of ram I will lose 2gb as I have 2 of those.

Funny thing is it ran fine with 8gb of ram I had a few weeks ago on Home Prmium too, again same video card etc

If I revert to a 15x series driver it works with 4 Gig. If I upgrade to 16x series, it stops working.

What changed? The driver. Who changed it? Nvidia.

Bah, now I have this issue. Everything else works great and BF2/PR runs so much better so I'm not pulling a stick out! However, I could disable the Memory Hole thingy in my BIOS which will then only report 3gb to the OS (still a pain in the A).

I vote ArmedA Issue...

No good to me!

And I refuse to take out 1 stick of memory only to play this game.

All games i have work just fine with my vista and 4 gigs, only arma is refusing to run.

Agreed. I should not have to compromise. I paid for the hardware that does work. I want the software that is supposed to support the patrons of their product. If BIS cannot do ANYTHING, can we have word on some official statement? Is this ONLY Nvidia's problem? ONLY Microsoft's problem? I'm sure bis hasn't "washed their hands" on this issue, but I'd like to hear it from 'the man'.

Something like this:

Quote[/b] ]

*Fancy Header*

____Ahem, good day all fellow Armed Assault patrons. We feel the insurmountable pain being caused by your inability to experience what it is like to play Armed Assault. Rest assured, we are trying our very best to work with Nvidia and/or Microsoft to try and resolve this matter as quickly as possible. We understand that you work hard for your money, and we shall continue to make sure that that money was well spent, putting it into our product. Thank you for supporting BIS, we will not let you down.

Signed,

The Man

Please inlove.gif

Vic, you probably won't hear it from the man/men, because Vista is simply unsupported. And if you want to know for sure, just write a small PM with the simple question to Maruk and Suma.

Also, you WILL have to compromise if you wish to play a game on an unsupported OS. The fact that ur playing it on an unsupported OS undoubtly will lead to the need of compromise, in many situations smile_o.gif

Sorry but that is lame and a easy out.

No, its not. The fact that you will be able to run some games under Linux with Cedega "Wine 3d" (Not An Emulator) software, doesn't mean the developer or publisher would or should support it.

Now I agree that BI could've been more forthcoming and support Vista as it's the next Windows OS, still, they made a choice and they made it clear on multiple occasions that they do not support Vista, at this time. I think its more lame to neglect that fact and just bitch about the fact that ArmA runs bad on Vista. It's a kinda "Told yah" situation, imho, and until they change their standpoint, it simply is as it is smile_o.gif

Looking at how ArmA ran and is running on some systems, aswell as the amount of bugs and time that's going over the fixing at this time, I do believe that it's a good choice not to invest into Vista too much, before the game runs smooth on most of the systems on the most ran OS at this time; XP and 2000.

I disagree, only because Vista was released before ArmedA (and the many RC/Betas before Vista's release).

As to bitch'n - well if you do not complain then they do not know users want it. If I was them I would never address/work on something that no one cared about.

As to comparing Linux with Cedega to Vista, well I see what you are attempting with that example, however I think you are stretching it a bit. wink_o.gif

Perhaps on my part, the lame statement was a stretch.

[edit]

It would not surprise me at all if this issue is a MS/NVIDA issue

In my opinion this is very simple. Is an operating system supported by the developer or by the publisher, or not.

It is either yes or no.

In this case it is no.

In my opinion this is very simple. Is an operating system supported by the developer or by the publisher, or not.

It is either yes or no.

In this case it is no.

Oh, so that means it works perfectly well in XP? I think not... wink_o.gif

'Perfect' we will never reach in life, don't use such arguments please smile_o.gif whoever claims to have reached it is either lying or doesn't understand.

ArmA works well now on WinXP 32-bit. Some betapatch crashed on my computer but the latest official version doesn't crash. Most complaints I have and see here are gameplay and realism level related.

By the way in addition to better compatibility and official support, you get also better performance when running it on WinXP 32-bit compared to running it on Vista.

You should also take into notice that there are lots of problems with new hardware like 64-bit systems, and graphics cards, plus add Vista on top of that and you got a nightmare for technical support.

There has to be made a distinction of what support can be expected from developer/publisher and what not. Problems caused by hardware manufacturers and operating system manufacturers are not problems which you should get angry of towards developer/publisher of a game.