Sign in to follow this  
ozanzac

Saitek X52 HOTAS setups

My second Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro has finally bit the dust. These sticks are by far, the best to be made in the last decade, and it's a real shame they can't be bought new anymore, as everything else on the market nowadays isn't anywhere near as gracefully styled, nor reliable.

Anyway, I'm looking at getting a HOTAS setup, such as the Saitek X-52. or X-52 Pro, by the end of the month.

Unfortunately, I can't locate a brand new X-45 anywhere, because the MFD on the X-52 looks like a gimmick I could well and truly do without.

I can comfortably afford the $100 premium the X-52 pro has over the X-52, but I'm wondering whether anyone with any experience in these sticks can say if it's worth paying the extra dollars , particuarly when I 'could' use that money to go towards a set of flight pedals.

Other suggestions are welcome! smile_o.gif

I "only" own the X52 (old version), but it works great.

I use the twist function instead of pedals in ArmA, and i doubt that it would be worth paying 100$, to get the premium version with pedals.

For flightsims for sure, but not for the "mouse optimized" flightmodel of Arma.

I have the X45 and the X52 pro.

The 52 Pro is much improved from the 45 and I like it better. Ergonomics, looks, functions and features. The built in mouse and zoom slider rock!

As far as I know the opnly difference between the X52 and the X52 Pro is the colour and the LED screen.

I haven't seen any addons for screen and ArmA or Flashpoint.

As far as I know it's just a digital clock for any software except MS flight. (In which it displays altitude and flight speed and other systems info).

Hopefully this will change in the future.

An extra $100 for the pedals is a bargain. I was looking at buying the pedals last night. They cost 76 Quid here ($150).

I much prefer these sticks to Microsofts, but be warned that they have no force feedback.

I don't use mine a lot, but everytime I look at it, I think "that's money well spent".

You may have just sold me on the X-52 pro. I'm hearing the normal X-52 is simply an updated X-45 with the MFD wacked on. Force Feedback isn't an issue for me. I prefer a sprung, naturally centering stick.

I've sourced the X-52 @ $185 au, and the X-52 pro at $295 au. The only thing stopping me from getting them right now, is that the store is located 1,600 km's away. (Australia's too bloody big sometimes), with the main retail chains not willing to go anywhere near those prices.

Normally I'd get them sent in the post, but I'll be holidaying 10 minutes down the road from the place at the end of the month, and if I can save a couple of bucks on courier charges, I will!

At the risk of getting more "hate mail" as I do each time I close a thread like this, please use the sticky thread here for all PC/IT discussions.

Closing.