ASUStek Vento Case

600W PS ASUS M2-Crosshair Motherboard

AMD Athlon64x2 6000+ CPU with fan

4GB ram, GEForce 8800GTX video gard with 768 MB

2-seagate 320GB SATA Hard disks

DL-DVDRW

Multi Card reader

Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse

Now the second question to the vista users out there since this computer will have Vista home premium does ArmA still work on Vista and if it does what are the problems?

Try reading through the forum properly - there's TONS of stuff in here for Vista's problems etc., and suggested fixes / workarounds - better do a search on

"Vista AND problem"...

I recently installed Vista and I haven't had any real problems running ArmA.

I do get some CTD's, but i was getting that in XP aswell tounge2.gif

I did notice a slight performance drop between playing ArmA on Vista compared to XP. But that setup you mentioned there is a beast and I dont think you should be worried about a performance drop!

Vista + 8800GTX + ArmA = probably the worst combination of hardware and software you can get in terms of ArmA. ArmA does not like Vista nor the 8800GTX, resulting in some really weird bugs and graphical glitches. confused_o.gif

My old and slow computer running XP didn't seem to lose much in terms of performance when comparing to a friend's faster computer running Vista. I was amazed to notice that he didn't get much better performance even when his hardware was clearly better, I blame it on Vista.

So there is a performance drop if you use Vista over XP. BUT does it matter if you have as fast a computer as you wrote, a drop in performance maybe with Vista but it could still be acceptable to you.

Once you get it setup, we can pin point issues.

1 I see you may have= 158.24 nvidia drivers worked allmost best for me, but sli would fall apart quickly...and 4 gig mem didn't matter. I had to use -maxmem=512 tweak.

The latest drivers (163.44beta), has changed things, now i have do disable "Memory Hole Remapping" in bios, to make it look like there is only 2 gigs...some will just pull 2 sticks. But, now I can run without the -maxmem, and sli is really sweet if I change arma.exe to FEAR.exe....... for some reason, I don't get sli option for the ArmA profile.

Other things that can help you, either get prepared to have to allow everything to run as administrator each time you install something, or disable UAC (User Account Control).

If your going to be the only user..I would disable it.

The directories look alot different in Vista, so be prepared, and not to get frustrated.

Also, is it 32bit or 64bit Vista? Mine is 64, and that may play a big part of the "video" issue I mentioned.

i got vista ultimate on day of release and aram on day of release, absoloute crap, if i was u id go with xp sp 2, performance is crap, vista uses nearly 800mb of ram just to run! an 35GB on ur HD!