Sign in to follow this  
Sc@tterbrain

Since when is a terrorist attack NOT news?

Terrorist attacks are generally newsworthy. Sure when they happen in certain areas such as the Phillipinnes and Southeast Asia they are a minor blip for the news services.

But why has this MAJOR one gone so unreported?

Buried by the News

Indian Open postponed after Hyderbad blasts

Hyderbad blast: Sketch released, reward announced

Bangalore police to insulate public places from terror strikes

because if no Americans or Europeans are killed then the public are generally not arsed.

have you ever heard about:-

Operation Enduring Freedom - Pankisi Gorge?

Operation Enduring Freedom - Philippines?

Operation Enduring Freedom - Horn of Africa?

Insurgency in Saudi Arabia?

2004 Waziristan War?

the Waziristan War was possible the biggest sub war of the war on terrorism (bar iraq). you'd think that 3000+ allied forces deaths would be on the media? nope why? because they were Pakistani military forces deaths.

ever heard of the 2007 Operation Enduring Freedom Trans Sahara? No. didn't think so but its happening.

2007 Israel-Gaza conflict? i never heard of this till last week. But its happening!

again Waziristan War (July 2007–present phase), currently happening and 150 dead allied forces so far? but was it on sky news? BBC news? nope.

bottom line if no US/European forces are killed the public arn't bothered. so its not reported.

I've heard about the attack in India both on CNN and the national television newscast...

And Hoot1988, Israel and Gaza have been at war since the inception of the jewish state, with the exceptions of some truce and cease-fire periods... so no news.

P.S.: I'm somehow reminded of the one joke I've read once, about the two main russian newspapers: Pravda (Truth) and Izvestia (I think it means news or novelty or something like that): There is no Pravda in Izvestia and no Izvestia in Pravda! (Meaning, literally, there's no truth in what's new, and the truth is nothing new...). wow_o.gifrofl.gif

Sometimes things are more important, like Lindsey Lohan getting out of rehab.

That would about sum it up.

Crying shame if you ask me.

I studied communication science and everywhere in the world news editors must perform something called gatekeeping - choosing what to air and what not to air. They select the news according to what would have the highest interest for its target audience. In this age of globalization, there is definitely more news material around than could be divulged, so that's why it's done...

It depends on where you hear/see/read about it. For instance you're not likely to read much, if anything, about such an incident if you're flicking through The Sun or The Mirror...

lindsay is cute but hearing that she got caught by the police for the 111th time just makes me not wanna read any news or so tounge2.gif

and sometimes the whole iraq is just blood, explosions and its just not going anywhere it feels like.. crazy_o.gif

BUZZARD @ Aug. 30 2007,16:14)]There is no Pravda in Izvestia and no Izvestia in Pravda! (Meaning, literally, there's no truth in what's new, and the truth is nothing new...).  wow_o.gif  rofl.gif

That's great, can't believe I have never heard that!  Well said.  Too much info to squeeze in between Lindsay, the weather, and sports.  

~War, death, tragedy, BOOBS!, War, death, destruction, HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!, War, death, murder, AND NOW HERES TOM WITH THE WEATHER!~

So I guess its business as usual, and its up to the individual to educate their own mind.  

Speaking of...since I know very little about the Waziristan War, i have some reading to do. goodnight.gif

The Media only wants to appeal to the masses, unfortunately too many people know nothing about terrorism until its at their door and are ignorant to the fact innocent people everywhere die everyday as a result of it.

It makes my blood boil when celebrity news takes priority over terrorism and even the death of our serving soldiers huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]Since when is a terrorist attack NOT news?

Also when said "terrorist" is funded by a "firendly" country.

Anybody else that before cooperating with the US in the war in Afghanistan, he was always "General" Musharaf, "ruling military dictator" Musharaf, "Coup leader" Musharaf?

Ever since he helped "bring democracy to Afghanistan" (ignoring Pakistan's democracy), he's always refered to as PRESIDENT Musharaf. banghead.gif

Then Bush praises this dictator for his efforts in spreading democracy banghead.gif

Oh yes I noticed that change.

Hypocrisy might be a good word to describe the phenomenom.

But I think this Musharraf guy is playing with a double-edged sword, on the other side are the people who support Taleban, Osama and others, who knows what else.

So he must choose his words and actions very carefully, not to push either side over the edge. On one hand he makes it look like he helps USA catch some people which the USA calls "terrorists", but on the other hand the people they are supposed to be catching can cause Musharraf lose his power in Pakistan. So it isn't a wonder to me that Pakistan has done, as I see it, very little to actually help USA to reach its goals.

When denying the terrorist organisation media attention is a war aim.

Or when there are more exciting news stories than space in the paper or airtime on the T.V.

The Media only wants to appeal to the masses, unfortunately too many people know nothing about terrorism until its at their door and are ignorant to the fact innocent people everywhere die everyday as a result of it.

It makes my blood boil when celebrity news takes priority over terrorism and even the death of our serving soldiers huh.gif

See it like this: It helps terrorists much when there are reports about them in the media because it draws attention to their intents. Terrorists have learned how to use media to their favors.

Thus you *could* say not reporting terrorist actions is a good thing as they do not get the attention they hoped for.

Of course I don't want to defend stupid celebrity news and not reporting on terrorists won't make them stop commiting their attacks.

I thought that it was just me, but I noticed that when I find out about a major piece of news on the internet, I turn on BBC news and it's talking about something British and/or trivial instead, this only has seemed to be happening this year, any idea why?

I thought that it was just me, but I noticed that when I find out about a major piece of news on the internet, I turn on BBC news and it's talking about something British and/or trivial instead, this only has seemed to be happening this year, any idea why?

Maybe Rupert Murdoch has bought the BBC, lol.