Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

What You want as Anti-CHEAT in Armed Assault 2?

I don't have a problem with ARMA II utilising Punkbuster - I've been use to it from other gaming titles I've used in the past.

So a thumbs up from me.

---------- Post added at 09:32 ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 ----------

I don't want to be the bad guy here but... Why is this topic here anyway? BIS/publishers at the end of the day will do what they feel like doing. Nothing we say here will change there mind or influence it.

PB is total crap IMHO, Cheats love it! They crack it day in day out, so it will only attract even more cheats sad_o.gif

I'm pretty sure BI with all their knowledge, can make their own anti-cheat program, but the only problem with that is will they keep updating it?

As most people have said... Why don't BI just have most of the scripting commands server side ONLY?

Even if BIS could/would make a better Anti-Cheat system than other Anti-Cheat systems they would have to devote man-power which they would either be taken from their current pool of developers or hire a new employee (or several).

I'm personally not in favour of my 1st point (re-alocating developers as that's less people working 'directly' on the game-code), and for point 2, well it might be cheaper for them to utilise a 3rd party who have a product which is already used in the 'wild' which has a 'core' team of developers working on the product full-time.

Holy necro-bump, Batman.

Not to mention by a first poster, and conspicuously soon after BattlEye anti-cheat was introduced in a beta. Coincidence?

Wait, there's cheaters in Arma2? Maybe the best anti-cheat that YOU can use as a user is to just play on a well-admin'd server.

If there are blatant cheaters, the basic anti-cheat that BIS could do would be a revamping of the signature check system. Relying less on Sig files, and more on directly checking the .PBO using a template that is stored in the current keys files. For instance, checking things like number of lines, variables, even non-commented character count.

And Punkbuster is not a very good solution to anti-cheat IMHO. Being a "mainstream" anti-cheat program, many hack places (MW2 has stuff up the day of release if I remember correctly, though it was VAC controlled instead of PB) have no trouble bypassing the newest version. Without actually spying on you (oh hey, not all anti-cheat and copy protection software does this! it's only certain cruddy ones that have already been sued!) nothing is going to be perfect.

So, update your in-house anti-cheat (sig checking, and whatever else you use) instead of relying on big pieces of software already out there that won't increase your sales much anyways.

PS: And I just realized that this post was necro'd. But my points still stand.

If there are blatant cheaters, the basic anti-cheat that BIS could do would be a revamping of the signature check system. Relying less on Sig files, and more on directly checking the .PBO using a template that is stored in the current keys files. For instance, checking things like number of lines, variables, even non-commented character count.

Still, signature checks cannot do anything at all against memory manipulation. This is where BattlEye comes into the picture. Signature checks can only see how the data on HDD looks like. It cannot see what is done with the data when it is processed.

Didn't see a cheater yet in ArmA2. I did see quite a lot of gamebreaking assholes though. Is there an anti-asshole software anywhere? :)

I'd like to see VAC though, if possible. In my opinion that's the best anti-cheat.

Any Anti-cheat is good.

But.

I would like it to see that if it catches cheating, I mean good enough cheating, that the ban.txt file (or whatever) is logged at central location for all servers to reference and ban. Ban on the UID of A2 not just name.

I would then make it well known that if you cheat, and caught, you won't get on ANY server that subscribes to the "master ban.txt" file. (or whatever.)

how to keep people from abusing that power I haven't figured out yet.

Didn't see a cheater yet in ArmA2

Me Neither... Plenty of morons when the game was out, but not anymore.

And I'm not too kind of global ban lists... Imagine someone somehow steal your identity and gets you banned while your innocent... How do you plead your case ?

And I'm not too kind of global ban lists... Imagine someone somehow steal your identity and gets you banned while your innocent... How do you plead your case ?

Absolutely true. But then again (imo) VAC could solve that.. maybe.

yeah, haven't spotted a cheater yet. it's too easy to just spawn in and TK everybody which accomplishes the same thing.

I've never come across any cheating in ArmA 2.. Besides I only play with my clan, and sometimes other (serious) clan's and I trust them. No point really.. And PB is just annoying as hell.. I pray there is no "offical" anti cheat, cause A2 don't need it.. I have yet too see a cheater (except in chernarus life etc) but that doesn't really concern me as it's just a pass time anyway.

spending money and time adapting PB into arma is foolish,

bis already knows how battleye works, it worked fine in arma1 so whats wrong with putting it in arma 2? "as they are doing now."

and i will state that arma2 public gameing doesnt have a real issue with cheating.

imo the best way to get rid of morrons is to have a admin on the server.

i only have bad experiance with PB. espesialy with AA,

Hi all

BattleEye was what we had with ArmA I it worked then and as it is already adapted to the underlying Real Virtuality Engine it is the most sensible option for ArmA II.

I am sure those are the reasons why BIS are testing it with the Beta now.

Kind Regards walker

What makes people think cheating is a problem in this game? ArmA2 isn't popular enoguh for any of the major hack sites to even consider profitable making hacks for. Game should be pretty much hack free.

What makes people think cheating is a problem in this game? ArmA2 isn't popular enoguh for any of the major hack sites to even consider profitable making hacks for. Game should be pretty much hack free.

Sorry to burst your bubble but hacks/cheats is for real also in ArmA II! Don't ask me why there are morons ruining for other people also in co-op games but the sad thruth is - there are!

As stated by others before BattlEye was effective in ArmA I and I hope it's the same in ArmA II and I much prefer it over PunkBuster since it doesn't requires having any extra services running in the background. BattlEye loads it's DLL's when required and unloads them automaticly when you quit playing, a much better solution and less bloat IMO.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

There are pretty effective cheats out there.

They are not stopped by signature check and allow using modified pbos.

It happens to a few servers almost daily now, that these cheaters with the script pack

destroy the whole mission, beam everyone into the air and other 'funny stuff'.

Just because you haven't seen it, it is still happening and a big problem.

Thankfully Bastian (BE author) is looking into it and BI decided to cooperate again with BE.

Hi Amuro

The problem is that the number of ArmA II MP players is rising steadily.

The old solutions of locked and hidden servers still work well and player comms voice checking human admins are still a good soution.

But because of the steady influx of players disapointed with DR and COD Modern Warfare 2 ArmA II is becoming more popular.

You may have noticed all the new members joining the forum.

The release of ACE is also driving up MP numbers.

There has already been a post about a case of direct injection cheat methods being used posted in the MP section of the forum, recently.

Because the addon based cheat methods no longer work the numpties are reverting to type and using game breaking methods as well DOS attacks which are illegal and should be reported to the police by your ISP.

Cheaters are bit like venereal disease so I guess we all have to wear the game version of a condom. :(

Ho hum.

Kind Regards walker