Sign in to follow this  
Jacobss

ArmA 2 on Xbox 360

is it just me or do all pc gamers seem to be extremely aggressive and elitist? this is BIS we're talking about, they won't "dumb down" anything. the only reason elite didn't do very well is because of codeies awful job of marketing and the delays. another thing, how can you say console controllers are less accurate e.t.c than a keyboard with its four movement buttons, thats the same as a nes.

I have no ideas at this moment how much this will change for the entire game style and such, but there are a couple of games being made that are playable on both pc and x360 and both sides play together online!

It would be great for ArmA2 if this is possible without any big changes in gameplay

is it just me or do all pc gamers seem to be extremely aggressive and elitist? this is BIS we're talking about, they won't "dumb down" anything. the only reason elite didn't do very well is because of codeies awful job of marketing and the delays. another thing, how can you say console controllers are less accurate e.t.c than a keyboard with its four movement buttons, thats the same as a nes.

They're talking about aiming you noob.

As for me being 'aggressive and elitist', you'd probably be too if a bunch of people who never gave a fuck about your hobby in the first place suddenly decided to change everything about it, destroy the reason you liked it in the first place, and THEN pretend like they've been lifelong enthusiasts. As far as I'm concerned, Xbox gamers are the fucking cancer that is the reason games have been such shit quality for the past few years. You tell ME why I'm bitter.

The way I see it, this can only be good. BI is going to be developing for a wider audience, so hopefully they'll take there time and be sure it's good.

Are you retarded? Do you know what 'wider audience' means? It means 'MAINSTREAM'. That means dumbing down the game, turning it into another god-damn Counter Strike.

Maybe you were too dense to notice, but back in the day, back when PC games were PC GAMES and there was no such thing as 'dual releases', games were BETTER.

First of all, flaming me wasn't nessecary, at all.

There is a big difference between developing for a wider audience, and making Arma2 mainstream. As of now, the only evidence of Arma2 turning mainstream is that the console version might have auto aim, and that's just because the controls are terrible for quick aiming.

I would heartily recommend anyone concerned about console versions of our games to first check OFP:Elite on Xbox to see an example what our vision for a tactical game on consoles may look like.

I would heartily recommend anyone concerned about console versions of our games to first check OFP:Elite on Xbox to see an example what our vision for a tactical game on consoles may look like.

Looks like we have a open and an unknown future for ArmA2 XBox version.

it can be a strange comparison: We had OFP, OFP:Elite was a different version, improved one from OFP. Ofcourse it looked better.

What i believe we are comparing here is possibly same versions between ARMA2 for PC and ARMA2 for XBox.

Personally i don't like Consoles its a waste of money.

Quote[/b] ]s far as I'm concerned, Xbox gamers are the fucking cancer that is the reason games have been such shit quality for the past few years. You tell ME why I'm bitter.

To much ager in here.

I agree that consoles are the responsibles for the "Silly Season" in games today.

I still hate the crapy Ui and interface options that ArmA recieve from OFP:E.

ArmA 2 will be released in about one year, one year and a half (maybe). by that time the PC will be much more advanced than the Xbox 360, so yes, if the PC version dont get a seperate development it will be technologically push back by the console version.

The one hope is that the PC version will be simply far more 'unlocked' and advanced. However, Microsoft doesn't allow dual-releases to differ in execution because they don't want their sales hurt because the PC release will be 'better'. In addition, downloadable content can NOT be free either.

In the end, I just don't see why an Xbox version would be feasible or even smart to try. The Xbox crowd just isn't into these kinds of games, as the sales of Elite reflect that.

I'm not saying OFP:Eilite was a waste of resources... its just I'd personally feel better knowing that my favorite company (being BIS, even though I speak harshly at times I still love yall smile_o.gif) is working undivided. But with ArmA2 for Xbox360, PS3, PC.... Queens Gambit, patches, support, etc etc.... is the team really big enough? It (to me), seems like it's going for arma2: Hey, you 3 work on the 360, you 4 work on ps3, you 7 work on marketing, you 10 work on the pc, and leaving like 5 people for patches on arma1, and another 5 for queens gambit.. If you guys had over 100 employee's then I'd confide... but.. it just seems like yall are trying to wrap your hands around the world and make 100 games hit with 35 people in 1 year.. With OFP's budget being around 600,000 I'm sure you guys gained some capital from it.. and would have liked to see 1-2 more studios made, instead of investing another few hundred thousand on another engine...

I think you should not worry about that, Victor.

Just look what comes and take it if you like what you see.

Let them have their own headaches  thumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]They're talking about aiming you noob.

As for me being 'aggressive and elitist', you'd probably be too if a bunch of people who never gave a fuck about your hobby in the first place suddenly decided to change everything about it, destroy the reason you liked it in the first place, and THEN pretend like they've been lifelong enthusiasts. As far as I'm concerned, Xbox gamers are the fucking cancer that is the reason games have been such shit quality for the past few years. You tell ME why I'm bitter.

Just for a moment I was on your side until the words noob, retarded, @#ck was included in your well thought out posts. If you can not argue constructively then get out of these forums or at least buy a copy of OFP:E, get on LIVE, and hang out with the very people you have grown to dispise so much (you sound so much like them) firefoxlover.gif And I thought PC players were mature huh.gif

Ive been in a thousand of these arguments, PC users attacking consoles for the demise in gaming and are convinced through stereotyping and vast assumptions that it will ruin thier game. Console users (on this forum) often on the defense coming up with 101 solutions to a PC gamers worries. It never reaches a conclusion. So as its announced its coming to consoles (Im going to say probably just 360) PC users will have to put up and shut up and at the same time probably assume the worst of a dumbed down game, whereas console users will assume the best of a rugged online system, DC (like European weapon/soldier/vehicle packs) and a 100% experience they expect from the developer of the game with no cut backs except things designed for the PC inevitably programming in the editor etc and a refined ergonomic control system. At the end of the day its doesnt come down to us, it comes down to how much you trust the developer on delivering the experience. But then again no matter how good both the versions are im sure the console version will be come the scape goat of all the problems under the sun for the PC version. Time will tell! and i cant wait!.

The one hope is that the PC version will be simply far more 'unlocked' and advanced. However, Microsoft doesn't allow dual-releases to differ in execution because they don't want their sales hurt because the PC release will be 'better'. In addition, downloadable content can NOT be free either.

GRAW and GRAW 2 on PC are completely different games to their Xbox 360 versions, even made by different developers so I'm sure Microsoft will allow differences. The console versions will probably be pretty limited when it comes to modding.

The downloadable content issue is pretty sad though. Just another reason for me to hate consoles.

ArmA 2 would be great on Xbox 360 -

1) You dont need to spend $2,000 on Hardware and others for a CP.

2) You can run it on very high with the 360.

3) Gameinformer will probably have this game in there books, so that means more people will look into it.

4) It would be a blast on Xbox Live.

Best Regards,

NEEDER

IF ArmA makes it's way to the 360 - the controls simply need to be revised.

I was thinking of a lock-on system - when you hold the right trigger which follows the target as it moves, you can then use the right analog stick, which barely moves the crosshair ahead allowing you to lead targets.

(was this in OFP for XBox?)

If you are going to make a FPS game on a console where the targets are small and the shooting need to be dead-accurate, auto-target will work wonders.

Some would argue, "well that ruins the military simulation aspects of ArmA."  I disagree.  What it does is not make you throw your controler across the room and cry in your sleep.

Other than that - Armed Assault on console would be a wise decision.  It's very likely you'll see ArmA on the 360, not to mention Atari has most of their foot in the console realm.

It's all going to come down to the controls in the end.

Chances are the controls would be as they were in OFP:E, which were fine, you could do everything you can in Arma, leaning and so on.

Auto targetting sounds like the worst idea I'v heard in a long time...auto targetting is not realistic at all, as any soldier in reality and they will tell you about manually aiming your rifle.

The summary of Arma is simply this, you either enjoy it or you hate it, I'm not saying this in a 'your with or against us' way but several have stated the above.

If people can't keep their crosshairs on the target then thats their problem, they will need to practice, otherwise why not add jumping and being able to crouch while jumping and fire all at the same time so people don't throw their controller across the room because they can't scale an obstacle.

Just to clarify - OFP:E has a subtle autoaim implemented, even in iron sights mode, where it works like a very slight magnetization towards the target. We did not find any other possibility to implement controls so that you can hit distant targets precisely enough. Still, the autoaim is subtle and it server only as a helper, it is definitely not a magical targetting device - which is perhaps why people often do not notice it is present at all (which was out intention when implementing it).

With XBOX360 being multicore, does this mean ArmA2 X360 will support multicore and as such the chance of PC multicore is there too, even with the architectural differences between the two? notworthy.gif

I thought the aiming on flashpoint ELITE was near perfect due to the fact of never having any frustrations due to the streamline ease of use that made the game play extremely satisfying that among other things - the best damn game i bought for the xbox

just out of curiosity, Is something like track IR or some similar technology possible on the 360 with the live vision camera? (using the gesture tech or some third party product) and to BIS, are you looking into providing download content (as a possibility) or is this somthing thats up in the air due to microsofts possible limitations with thier terms and conditions?

When I played Flashpoint ELITE I was a bit annoyed at no triggers but I understand they would have been impossible to implement properly. Then when I played it just on the missions I realised how good it was for a console game. BIS just proved that you don't need to dumb the game down much at all for it to be good.

Well, I see now that the idea to make a topic about ArmA 2 on Xbox 360, was a good idea biggrin_o.gif. Now, I'm thinking about PS3, does BIS make, a version for PS3 too? Suma, can you confirm on which consoles comes ArmA 2? Maruk on GC said only that on X360 would it be for a 100% And what is with PS3?

Quote[/b] ]We did not find any other possibility to implement controls so that you can hit distant targets precisely enough.

The way I would do it is when the right trigger is being held down (which makes the player sight follow the target), the free Look/Aim (Right Analog Stick) would be less sensitive to touch.  So moving the right analog to the left as far as it can go will only move the crosshair tardily.  This could allow for a more accurate shot.

The idea would be to have a type of lock-on targeting system put in the game. The player's view will follow the target on its own, it would just be up to the player to get the shot.

The way I would do it is when the right trigger is being held down (which makes the player sight follow the target), the free Look/Aim (Right Analog Stick) would be less sensitive to touch.  So moving the right analog to the left as far as it can go will only move the crosshair tardily.  This could allow for a more accurate shot.

The idea would be to have a type of lock-on targeting system put in the game.  The player's view will follow the target on its own, it would just be up to the player to get the shot.

Well the way it worked in elite was honestly adequate, tracking targets was relatively easy and holding down the trigger slightly would cause you to hold your breath for a steady aim, great system with a great use of dynamic contextual controls - controls of a console version imo are really not the issue