Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird

FFUR-SLX 2007 2.0

TB thanks for the detailed response for my post. I have one more small thing, are you going to put back the AH-1 cobra which was still used by the US army in the 80's?

Quote[/b] ]thunderbird. if im not mistaken American A-10's were not painted in grey during the 80's

It is very hard to verify this information, but according to these quite old photos, the warthog was already available in grey scheme.

023.jpg

016.jpg

024.jpg

015.jpg

Quote[/b] ]TB thanks for the detailed response for my post. I have one more small thing, are you going to put back the AH-1 cobra which was still used by the US army in the 80's?

Excluding BOH Japanese Cobra, there is no AH-1S Cobra that could replace the original model, J and F versions weren't that used during the wanted era.

The only solution is to replace the cobra by the apache A, or maybe attempt to retexture BOH AH-1S to fix this issue.

Regards,

TB

In 85 the UH1D, AH1S was still the main workhorse of the Army, UH60As were not in high enough numbers to replace them. THE OH6 was also still seeing heavy use, mainly scout choppers and often matched with AH1 Cobras as hunter killer teams till the OH58 replaced it. in the late 80s early 90s. I was riding in Hueys up till about a year ago, when the Army finally coughed up UH60Ls to the Army National Guard. Even seen a couple of UH1Ds and N models land here at the base I'm at in Afghnistan. Still get used due to thier smaller than UH60s, and can get into places the Blackhawk can't still. The 5 ton truck, 900 series 5 tons also were not in large numbers, the M35A2 2 1/2 tons duece and half was the master of the truck fleet, and the 800 series 5 ton Truck. The 900 was about it had same bias ply non directional tires the M35A2 used. Super singles didn't really catch on till the late 90s. I do have models of these vehicles if needed someplace on my hard drive. They were slated for the Gulf War mod.. But being deployed puts a crapper on getting any real work done on a mod.

Russain vehicles of the time period be T55s, T64,s and some T72s, not seen any wreaks in Afhganistan mostly T55s and T64s.

Most troops wore the tan uniforms summer and winter, with the KMLK one peice jumpsuit over that. Flora cammo was avible but in low numbers. Mostly motorized infantry, and naval infantry and some VDV units. T55/64 graveyard

BRDM lot

BMP2

T64 with RPG shield

More BTRs and BRDMS

BTR 152s were still used BRDM2s, BTR60s, BTR70s. BDMs a lot of the trucks, Zils, URALs, UAZ 469, 66s, in many varents. nice is the vehicle collection points show the how things were seeing mostof these vehicles were left where they sat 20 years ago. OFten in villages after the Russians abandoned them. I also have gear and equipment captured from troops durring the war. If you need it.

thunderbird. if im not mistaken American A-10's were not painted in grey during the 80's

Are you sure? At REFORGER 87 two A-10's "attacked" a position near our house (quite a fierce tank battle going on on the farmlands nearby - lucky us that it was only a manoeuvre). If I remember correctly, these Warthogs were grey as the sky above.

BTW: Some pictures of REFORGER 87.

More REFORGER.

Ah, those were the days... biggrin_o.gif

Wasnt the M16A1 more popular common around 1985? I do remember seeing pics of soldiers as late as the Gulf War using them. I also believe that in Afghanistan, the RPG-18 was more common amongst regular infantry, and it was generally special units that used the RPG-7

Are you giving American tank crews the Grease gun (M3A1)?

We would have to think not what Soviet forces would be like in Germany or in Afganistan but what they would be like in the far-flung Malden Islands. Unless the mod is somwhere else??

I would say: upgraded T-55/62s (haven't seen many models of this), T-72s

BMP-1, BTR-60/70

BRDM

UAZ, URAL

Shilka, and stationary ZU-23 AA-gun.

that essentially coveres all the classes of vehicles.

I'm much less of an expert on the US, but:

M60A3, M1A1 (very new)

M113 (different variants), M2/3 Bradely (very new)

Jeep

thunderbird, what kind of camo/uniform are you thinking about using?

I actually really like the idea of arming the U.S. side with the M16A1, maybe you could just add a soldier in the editor armed with it, similiar to the G36 soldier. JJR has a very nice M16A1 smile_o.gif Small thing to ask, this mod is looking brilliant, very much looking forward to it!

The only problem with JJR's M16A1 is that it uses the old-style 20 round magazine. I once modded his model with a 30 round mag from SJB's M4s. If youre interested, I can try and dig it out.

Quote[/b] ]upgraded T-55/62s (haven't seen many models of this)

Both have been made by RHS. Perhaps you could have a system like:

M1A1 -> Inq M60A1

M60 -> M48A5 (I cant remember where, but Im sure I have seen them ingame in some mod)

T-80 -> T72A

T-72 -> T55A or T62M?

Its only a suggestion, perhaps you might want to keep the T-80 and Abrams like the original OFP. Its just my opinion that the latest and greatest hardware of the USSR and America would not have been posted on a string of remote islands in the height of the cold war.

What about the the BTR's 60,70,80 think they would be cool especially command variants of BTR-60. Just an idea what does antone else think.

Theres already a BTR-80 in FFUR. The BTR-80 is post 1985 though, but it can easily be replaced with a BTR-60

An M16A1 with a 30rnd magazine would be awesome, but if you wanted to equip it as the primary weapon of the U.S. forces you would need an M203 version as well, maybe better just to keep Laser's M16A2. As for vehicles, as far as I understood TBird was going to include a wide range of vehicles as "extras" that were to be available in the editor but not in the campaigns, maybe vehicles such as the M48A5 or BTR-152, ect. could be just editor extras.

How ever has anyone thought about making a BTR-80A or a BTR-90 for 2007 2.55 because i think it would be awesome.

I think simply replacing the BIS stuff with the same things but nicer would be best for the '85 pack. No things like T72s insted of T80s and stuff.

And I dont think the 2.55 patch will have NEW stuff, only a small update from tricks learnt in the making of '85....

Thats about right isn't it TBird?

I second that. I disagreed with one of the posts here so I posted the Soviet in Germany pics. But ingame the choice was already made by BIS in 2001, and it is a BIS replacement not an "what if" mod.

The crewman wear also often still issued the M3A1 greese gun and M16A1, the A2 was coming out in 85 but like most new gear took 10 years for it to reach most units. The M1911A1 and M92F were joint issued till about 95 when they stopped suppling ammo for it and part to repair it and phased out for the M16A2 and M92F.

M3A1 Grease gun was often drivers weapon system in most armored vehicles, while the M16 was the wheeled vehicles crew weapon, having more room. to store it. M1s still had the 105mm gun and often ran along side the M60A3 and M113A2, The big puish to get the M60A3 out didn't come till the first gulfwar when the addition of the upgunned 120mm cannon was in production and the Marines were taking the M1A1 in place of their M60s as well for the gulf war.

Ase290406

That was the only conflict at the time that was were there was actualy combat, I was in the Army around that time. None of the islands used in OFP are western europe. So it makes sence to base off what was fielded int he Afgan war. T72s strickly were kept in Europe, the T64 was still rather good match to most western armor till the M1A1 came out with the 120mm. Peope forget the Russain arm at that time was massive,, and very hard to get equipment out to the far reaches. In the 80s a massive campain vs afgan still would have been waging, tus might have stopped the big coldwar in Eruope.

The thing is that Afghanistan is mountains, and not Islands. If we want to go 100% realistic we will have to check what the Soviet naval infantry had at the time. For a small conflict on a small island, they are the likeliest force.

The thing is that Afghanistan is mountains, and not Islands. If we want to go 100% realistic we will have to check what the Soviet naval infantry had at the time. For a small conflict on a small island, they are the likeliest force.

In terms of armor the Naval troops had only very upgraded T-55/62/64 tanks along with PT-76 light tanks. But all this discussion is really pointless since we are not the designers here. It's up to thunderbird to decide what direction to take. It's only positive if it makes some kind of contribution to work of the mod.

@Cjuraman: There are M16A1/M203s for OFP. I think I might have a 30 round modded version lying around my Hard disk, not sure though.

@Pants: Alot of modders have stopped making addons for OFP and moved over to ArmA, Its unlikely that someone is going to make a brand new vehicle for the old game, unfortunatly.

Hello, decided to reinstall OFP again after many years and having played it with FFUR (among others in separate copies) for some time now i'd like to thank the mod team for making such an excellent mod that really adds to standard OFP gameplay.

Few issues i wish to comment on, apologies in advance if i should bring these into a different thread or if they've been answered to already:

1) When i play the "Bomberman" SP mission, at start i seem to get the Shilka in that convoy you're supposed to blow up engaged with one of the friendly AI squads in place for assisting in completing the mission objectives, also sometimes the convoy vehicles have huge intervals with each other.

2) Given that i don't know much about the inner workings of config files and whatnot and don't particularly want to mess up my installations, could someone point me to good user addons/campaigns compatible with FFSX?

not trying to be an idiot here but what purpose does the data.pbo and data3d.pbo serve ? I was getting a data3d/zuni.p3d error and simply removed the file (as a test to rectify the issue) and it fixed my problem and I haven't lost ANY FFUR stability and playability.

I haven't deleted the files in case they are vital.

Hope someone can shed some light on to my request - thanks.

Nice Pics And Info Tbird.

Guys your discussing 1985 era not late 70's early 80's,

Replacements will be something like I listed previously, I gonna list what I would have done exactly.

US First:

M1A1 - Sigma6: M1A1

M60 - Sigma6: M60A1/A2

M113 - Combat: M113A2

M2A2 - Combat: M2A1/A2

Vulcan - REM: M163A2

Soldiers - Hyk: 85' Soldiers

SpecOps - Hyk: 85' SpecOps

M16 - SJB/Laser: M16A2 (M16A1 replaced)

M4 - SJB/Laser: M4

HK - SJB/Laser: MP5SD

M21 - Laser: M21

LAW - Laser: LAW

CarlGustav - Laser: Carl Gustav/Combat M47

Stinger - CSLA: Stinger

Hand Grenade - BD: M67 Grenade

A10 - Diesel: A10 (Green)

AH1 - VIT: AH1

UH60 - CSLA: UH60

AH64 - Marco Paulo: AH-64A

OH58 - BAS: OH58 (Maybe A Smaller Helo)

Russian Side:

T80 - ORCS/RHS: T80

T72 - ORCS/RHS: T72

BMP1 - CSLA: BMP1

BMP2 - CSLA: BMP2

BRDM - OFF: BRDM

ZSU - Spetz Natz Mod/ORCS ZSU

Soldiers - RHS: 85' Motorized Infantry

SpecOps - RHS: 85' GRU Operators

AK74 - RHS: AK74

AK74su - Earl: AKs74u

PK - RHS: PK

RPG - RHS: RPG-7

AT4 - ?

SVD - RHS: SVD

Hand Grenade - BD: RGO Grenade

Mi24 - RHS: Mi24

Mi17 - OWP: Mi17

V80: - ?

Su35 - Tomi-D Su25.

Anyway, Tbird has chosen what he believes to be the correct units and weapons to fit with the mod and era, All we have to do is wait and see what happens, You can all trust me, IT WILL BE GREAT!

Will you ever bring out such a Mod for ARMA (or better ARMA2)?

Will you ever bring out such a Mod for ARMA (or better ARMA2)?

He's answered this before, not a page back.