Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird

FFUR-SLX 2007 2.0

Will you do one last "patch" for the 2007 one with the improvments discovered and used in '85?

Just so that users can pic 85 or 07 rather than being forced onto '85 cause its "way better" feature-wise?

Personaly I will continue using '07 more, but the '85 one is DEFINATLY going on my hard drive and being used to play the campeigns all over again.

I agree with Blazin whole heartedly.  FFUR SLX 2007 2.5 is amazing and almost perfect.  Please do not abandon work/development on that.  I would request that you make this updated '85 version a separate install similar to the other FFUR releases so it does not conflict with the current version.  Keep up the great work TB!

Will you ever bring out such a Mod for ARMA (or better ARMA2)?

He's answered this before, not a page back.

unfortunately i cant find any clear statement...

can you point me there? biggrin_o.gif

Here is what you are looking for ref Arma and FFUR SLX...

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the kind of late reply, I have been busy with real life occupations and I spend my whole free time with building the new '85 project in a faithful and representative way, which makes my girlfriend rather upset, heh.

By the way, here is a first pic showing the new GUI in its final status.

_shot_1.jpg

More pics to come soon, since the project is nearing completion.

Quote[/b] ]The vehicles I'm using are the standard FFUR/SLX 2.5 vehicles. Am I forgetting something? Would it help if I sent you the (very small) mission file?

I guess I modified some scripts when I was attempting to make the MOD compatible with BIS missions/campaigns, I'm afraid I disabled the vehicles feature since they were probably causing some kind of troubles.

Quote[/b] ]just a question TB are you thinking of moving to ArmA as there are those of us that would love to see your work in ArmA especially the weapons modifications and the overall feel you add to your mods it gave me many years of enjoyment in ofp

now that i play ArmA its missing that TB FFUR feel and would be nice to see you shine in that like you have in ofp

let us know your thoughts on it it would be greatly appreciated

This is a good question:

- It is true that ArmA became a new game due to the huge effort of the community during the last weeks (Better effects, friendly-cpu vegetation models, realistic features, amazing animation transitions, gameplay improvements and much more).

But I will rather wait for ArmA II, as it would be released the next year or within 'Maximum 2 years', and the potential of the incoming version, seems rather promising.

Thank you for your interest, though.

Quote[/b] ]Any progress updated TBird? Maybe a list of vehicles/units that will be included?

Just round the corner... keep patient. ;]

Quote[/b] ]would it be possible to make those shock waves like on COC's M109, but only when theres a larger explosion (like GBU12).

Surprisingly, I haven't tested it yet,

But I will check it out to see whether it would be implemented or not.

Quote[/b] ]Of Course I'm just guessing, What you decide to use is your choice, But whatever the units will be I'm sure that they will be correct and realistically loaded out with '85 era equipment etc.

Cheers for the kind words and the continued support Big-Rooney,

the list you established is very close to the one I did, but you have some inspiring suggestions that might be pretty interesting if they would be taken into consideration. ;]

Quote[/b] ]Sorry if this may have been asked before, but is there a way to tweak it so I can shoot the target without waiting for the sites to stop moving, rather unrealistic if you ask me as military soldiers arn't that out of shape.

I cant hit a dam thing as a sniper, because after moving a little bit Im breathing heavy and the gun sight is moving all over the place. Even after Im lying prone for a while not being tired, and I see some enemies the breathing starts again and my sites are all messed up.

Yes, I will for sure, modifie some slight aspects of SLX, since several people complain about them.

But realistically speaking, believe me, it is hard like hell to make a 'decent' use of your rifle after some intense physical effort.

Thanks for the kind words, though.

And again, if you have Photos/Videos/Informations/Suggestions or whatever else about the '85 era, feel free to post them, or send them to my mail adress, any support in this regards, would be greatly appreciated.

I have already collected several informations and media files regarding this period, but the more I have, the better the project would be.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

TB

what about csj hueys instead of the blackhawks?they are in use even today!

Guys your discussing 1985 era not late 70's early 80's,

Replacements will be something like I listed previously, I gonna list what I would have done exactly.

Lots of the things you mentioned were either not in wide use in 1985 (M16A2) or werent even invented yet (M1A1 Abrams - 1986, M4 - mid 1990s) but I agree with you anyway; TB will make sure the best stuff gets in. The user can always modify the end product himself.

Could somebody host the Hotfix 2.01? Neither the filefront or the njmatrix mirrors seem to work anymore.

Or tell me how to do the '-mod=@ffsx2007' thing?

EDIT : Nevermind, I figured it. Brilliant mod.

Hi all,

Just a little word regarding the progress...

The mod is far from being dead, a lot of work is being done on the project and things are going as planned.

Thank you for your patience, you will not be disappointed. :]

Sincerely, yours.

TB

OK, i will now re-buy (sold my old years ago) Operation Flashpoint for flilling the gap between Arma and Arma2 or OFP2, because there is not such a great mod like this for Arma, nor will anyone make such a mod for it.

My question is now:

Are there any Online-Servers up with running some cool Coop or other maps of this mod?

Do i need to install the Dxdll in order to have all the graphic improvements?

Is the water reflecting without dxdll?

Are there any new Islands within this mod, or just that odd everon.

Edit:

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]

just a question TB are you thinking of moving to ArmA as there are those of us that would love to see your work in ArmA especially the weapons modifications and the overall feel you add to your mods it gave me many years of enjoyment in ofp

now that i play ArmA its missing that TB FFUR feel and would be nice to see you shine in that like you have in ofp

let us know your thoughts on it it would be greatly appreciated

This is a good question:

- It is true that ArmA became a new game due to the huge effort of the community during the last weeks (Better effects, friendly-cpu vegetation models, realistic features, amazing animation transitions, gameplay improvements and much more).

But I will rather wait for ArmA II, as it would be released the next year or within 'Maximum 2 years', and the potential of the incoming version, seems rather promising.

Thank you for your interest, though.

Please move to Arma. The great is SLX-mod is currently also developed for Arma...

Also if you would do so, you could port your work easylie to Arma2, because addons/mods/scripts from Arma1 are fully comaptible with Arma2 - so you dont "waste" time.

Please think about it... Arma needs such a killer-mod like this and has far better visual quality, animations, else.

Regards, Christian

Hey Mr.g-c,

It would be nice for the FFUR team to move to ArmA but, without the tools needed for animations, addons, and others then they cant do any modding to make it more realistic. Hopefully soon BIS will release the needed tools for the community sake. Also, TB good luck on the 1985 remix!

Hey Mr.g-c,

It would be nice for the FFUR team to move to ArmA but, without the tools needed for animations, addons, and others then they cant do any modding to make it more realistic. Hopefully soon BIS will release the needed tools for the community sake. Also, TB good luck on the 1985 remix!

I understand.... sad....

Anyway i have some other questions:

Is the FFUR-SLX using the newest version of SLX in it? (1.1)

I have read the Readme in pdf format which came with the installer, and there is only 1 additional Plane added over stock OFP?

Wasn't there a F14 , F15 and some Russian counterparts i rember from Youtubevideos like "

"? This was one of the main reasons i downloaded this mod.

Are there any user-made missions out there which uses this mod?

Are those hit-effects for vehicles, like fuel leaks and catch-fire also working for planes in the way they work for ground vehicles?

I assume FFUR 1985 is a different mod? and when yes, is it using the same SLX-mod features like in this version?

I read you cut-out the tunguska, will it ever possible to have it back-in (i love this tank).

When using the suggested Mr Burns islands, do they improve even more to the game than the replacepack delivered with this mod does? Or is that Replace-pack enough? Do they conflvct somehow?

Reagards, Christian

I have read the Readme in pdf format which came with the installer, and there is only 1 additional Plane added over stock OFP?

Wasn't there a F14 , F15 and some Russian counterparts i rember from Youtubevideos like "

"? This was one of the main reasons i downloaded this mod.

Are there any user-made missions out there which uses this mod?

I assume FFUR 1985 is a different mod? and when yes, is it using the same SLX-mod features like in this version?

I read you cut-out the tunguska, will it ever possible to have it back-in (i love this tank).

That video is made with FFUR 1985, the F14 is no longer in service, so it isn't included in FFSX 2007 either. The F15, as well as other high speed fighter jets don't really add anything to the gameplay experience imo, as the islands are just too small for them, and the game was never designed to deal with them.

FFSX 2007 has the F16 which is a fighter/bomber, so it fits the game better. The Russians have the Mig29 and/or SU-27 (can't remember exactly).

This is a replacement mod = every mission that uses standard BIS units will have the new units.

No, FFUR 1985 doesn't feature SLX.

I assume the reason he cut it was because of problems/balancing issues, which would be hard to solve without making the vehicle unrealistic.

Quote[/b] ]No, FFUR 1985 doesn't feature SLX.

The incoming '85 pack will feature SLX but several tweaks and changes will be done in order to avoid issues that occur in game. ;]

Quote[/b] ]Is the FFUR-SLX using the newest version of SLX in it? (1.1)

Yes.

Quote[/b] ]Are those hit-effects for vehicles, like fuel leaks and catch-fire also working for planes in the way they work for ground vehicles?

Yes.

Quote[/b] ]When using the suggested Mr Burns islands, do they improve even more to the game than the replacepack delivered with this mod does? Or is that Replace-pack enough? Do they conflvct somehow?

Mr Burns islands are the islands that were included in the MOD 2 years ago, but they are separate files now to allow you to have the choice to play the mod with the original islands or not.

Quote[/b] ]I read you cut-out the tunguska, will it ever possible to have it back-in (i love this tank).

Sorry, not at the moment since all the focus is on the '85 pack that should be ready for Christmas. ;]

Regards,

TB

Is the mod gonna be multiplayer friendly?

If servers were able to properly handle SLX 1.1 then there should be no problem with the incoming FFUR pack. ;]

Regards,

TB

TB are you going to include a config that only replaces vichels and soldier models withoout effect changes ? [recoils,AI,explosions etc]

While playing the SP spec op mission where you have to destroy the fuel truck+depot I noticed that when you set off the satchels (been the whole time in stealth, proned, no enemy spotted me) the enemy knows instantly where you are as 2 seconds later the "enemy-positions" markers appear next to you.

Maybe this is engine/script-limited but I would like it if this could be fixed.

Just downloaded the 2.0 & 2.5 - wow I thought the original FFUR 2007 was amazing - this is even better !  I am blown away by the amount of detail that you guys have put into this - I love the new AI - adds a whole new realm of realism!

Keep up the good work guys - awesome.

*EDIT - Can't seem to locate the LAV-25 or M113A2 anywhere - was it replaced by the Stryker in patch 2.5 ?*

S. Chapman

Ok i tried it today (2.5) and everything is fine except these things:

- Enemy soldiers which are very close (under 30m) and who tries to kill me, don't hit very often. In one case it took about 25 shots to hit me badly

- Tracers are very ugly and very, very unrealistic (its a SLX issue, though). He should consider THIS ,

and
Video for realistic tracers. I am knowing the 6th-sense Tracer package from/for Arma which is very realistic and beautiful in comparison.

- Sound: Sound has a very variating quality and loudness in this mod. It seems not very balanced/realistic... examples:

Airplane engine sounds-levels are much much much to low, same goes for helicopters. It doesn't really feel like flying such a beast which is extremely loud in reality.

The sounds from bullets passing over you in a infantry fight are also pretty ugly to hear and very unrealistic. If you own Arma then try out the FDF-Soundpack for Arma from them, which does the job very very good.

- When doing some AI-test Firefights in Editor and i watch the whole thing as a resistance fighter my heavy weapons like the RPG doesnt seem to make any damage to enemy vehicles.

- When using kegetys dxdll, the game framerate drops to under 10 FPS on my Athlon XP 5000+ with GF7900GT (overclocked). Arma (which does look times better, runs smoother)

These point should be some constructive criticism, maybe we can figure/discuss together with the users of the mod, how to make it better.

Best Regards, Christian

Quote[/b] ]TB are you going to include a config that only replaces vichels and soldier models withoout effect changes ? [recoils,AI,explosions etc]

The mod is completely based on SLX 1.1 and that involves the use of several seperate config files and not 1 config as it was the case previously, therefore it makes things complicated.

Plus, the lack of time doesn't help at all.

Quote[/b] ]While playing the SP spec op mission where you have to destroy the fuel truck+depot I noticed that when you set off the satchels (been the whole time in stealth, proned, no enemy spotted me) the enemy knows instantly where you are as 2 seconds later the "enemy-positions" markers appear next to you.

Maybe this is engine/script-limited but I would like it if this could be fixed

This is due to a conjonction of 2 properties:

- OFP's engine limitations.

- SLX scripts that make enemies rush at your position once you are spotted.

It should not bother you as long as you trigger Satchel charges once you are far away.

Quote[/b] ]was it replaced by the Stryker in patch 2.5 ?*

Negative, as you can see here.

Quote[/b] ]Enemy soldiers which are very close (under 30m) and who tries to kill me, don't hit very often. In one case it took about 25 shots to hit me badly

The ratio (Bullets/Probability to hit) has be decreased indeed, but this has already been reported more than once.

There would be no such problem within the incoming '85 Edition which would be in a major part based on a tweaked version of SLX 1.1 and not on any previous FFUR config.

Quote[/b] ]Tracers are very ugly and very, very unrealistic (its a SLX issue, though). He should consider THIS , THAT and THAT Video for realistic tracers. I am knowing the 6th-sense Tracer package from/for Arma which is very realistic and beautiful in comparison.

There is no common tracers, when you look closely at them, you notice that they are far from being similar, even with same calibers as I noticed myself during my classes, since mine were way too small compared to those of my teammates (Wind's factor? quantity of phosphorus?).

If you dislike the current tracers, feel free to edit the models yourself, it should be easy, really. ;]

Quote[/b] ]Sound: Sound has a very variating quality and loudness in this mod. It seems not very balanced/realistic... examples:

Airplane engine sounds-levels are much much much to low, same goes for helicopters. It doesn't really feel like flying such a beast which is extremely loud in reality.

There are no major complaints thus far, most of people seem to be happy with them and since it is a matter of taste, just replace the sounds yourself by moving those you want to 'ffur_sounds' folder by properly renaming'em, simple like that!

Regarding the incoming pack, the SFX have been 'standarized' and 'commonized'.

Quote[/b] ]When doing some AI-test Firefights in Editor and i watch the whole thing as a resistance fighter my heavy weapons like the RPG doesnt seem to make any damage to enemy vehicles.

Works so far nice here, the RPG's blast took out a whole squad I posted on desert island's little hill.

It's like 'bowling', it depends on your hit point regarding the enemy.

Quote[/b] ]When using kegetys dxdll, the game framerate drops to under 10 FPS on my Athlon XP 5000+ with GF7900GT (overclocked). Arma (which does look times better, runs smoother)

Yes, ArmA is more stable than OFP and handles better huge amount of units but if you clean your computer and slightly decrease your graphical settings you would get so far a decent gameplay.

Make sure you're running no program in the background as well.

regards,

TB

is a video showing a (pretty) large number of the weapons available in FFSX2007 from almost the position they would be in when you're holding them yourself. The weapon sounds aren't that bad imo, I quite like them, although some could use a little tweaking for loudness.

Quote[/b] ]There is no common tracers, when you look closely at them, you notice that they are far from being similar, even with same calibers as I noticed myself during my classes, since mine were way too small compared to those of my teammates (Wind's factor? quantity of phosphorus?).

If you dislike the current tracers, feel free to edit the models yourself, it should be easy, really. ;]

I understand what you mean, but the current tracers look like some "photon torpedos" from startreck - they look like big round star shaped things. Also the green ones are just so slightly visible....

They are looking very unrealistic. I would consider some in 1985 edt. which are more "long shaped" and with a smaller diameter.

It is really worth to look at the 6th-sense tracers for arma. They are really realistic.

Quote[/b] ]There are no major complaints thus far, most of people seem to be happy with them and since it is a matter of taste, just replace the sounds yourself by moving those you want to 'ffur_sounds' folder by properly renaming'em, simple like that!

Regarding the incoming pack, the SFX have been 'standarized' and 'commonized'.

Its good to hear that you standarized them for the new pack..

I mean, the sounds when bullets pass over you, or near you are not realistic.

I'm missing the typical supersonic crack which other mods (soundmods) simulate correctly. The current "passover" sounds could be used for the suppressed rifles/pistols, thats where they fit better IMHO.

Also what i dislike a bit is that shilkas, planes, m113-vulcans, etc use the exact same sound for their machineguns - that one example what i mean with "variating quality".

Quote[/b] ]Works so far nice here, the RPG's blast took out a whole squad I posted on desert island's little hill.

It's like 'bowling', it depends on your hit point regarding the enemy.

I tried it again, and its happening all the time when i am a RPG-soldier from the resistance-side. I've set-up the mission so that resistance-side is friendly to all sides (russian and us) - maybe this has something to do with?

Also it would be good if all models have a "destroyed" texture, so you could distinguish the destroyed one better from the intact ones.

But anyway, a very good job! Brings OFP to a whole new level.

Best Regards, Christian

well there are two other tracer packs you can install on your own, floating around. Tracers have always been a engine problem you get the laser shot effect, or they look correct and lag to death in a mission with a large amount of units. Same problem with sounds, the rate of fire on a lot of weapons systems in OFP will sound like crap, due to the sound being repeated over and over before its completely played. The sound of the weapon also changes in relation to where your positioned near the weapon. Like firing an M16 you hear it differently than somebody standing to your right or left side. The game engine, is a bit too old for those features. Back when OFP came out the 16 bit sound card was still the mainstay of the time. That and its still based off the SLX mod much like the older FFURs were off of Flash FX.

Its still a almost 7 year old game engine, without violating BIS and hacking the engine itself to add features to the game engine directly kinda still limted to the mount of scripting that can be applied to the addons. Thus a rather diffcult job already getting everything to mesh and still function is mindboggling.

As for the destroyed textures, not every hit ona vehicle destroyes it, most weapons systems are made to punch through and rattle around inside killing or incapaciting the crews. Often leaving the vehicle intact and fully operational unless catastropic ammo or fuel detonation. which would cause major fires to gut the hull, ammo cockoff common on eastern block tanks to lanch the turret 30 ft in the air. cause the turret is held on by gravity. It was implimented in the other FFURs not sure it carried on in the SLX verssions, due to the MP issues.

If the addon used didn't come with damage textures, its not going to suddenly appear. Which a lot of 3rd party addons didn't. I will actualy beable to reinstall FFUR-SLX and give it a good looking over soon now I gota larger HD. =)

model replace suggestion:

Spetsnaz - RHS 85' VDV Saboteur

U.S Jeep/jeep with Mg/ HMMV - Semper Fideles U.S Army m998 Hmmv variations [enterd service in 1985], suggest replace standart jeep with the "open" or "patrol" version from the pack, but unfortunatly this pack dosn't have a 998 hummv with MG. only newer models ,1000 something

Found issues:

Not all RPKs can lower their bipod. The older RPK47 from the restistance-force can do, while the RPK74M from the russians cant. Also both of them usues the same sound which is not correct - the RPK74M shoul rather use the sound of the AK74-M.

Also not all scopes are de- and re-attachable (for exmple a russian spetznatz with the silenced and PSO-1 scoped AK74.

Regards, Christian