Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird

FFUR-SLX 2007 2.0

First off, it's good to have you back, TB. great work on the mod and, most importantly, you got the handgun ballistics right!!! Good luck with your transition from the military to civilian life.

Question for you:

-I've activated GL3 in some custom-made missions and it doesn't seem to working with vehicles. For example, I'll have an over matched squad set up not far from a tank, but the tank won't be called in to assist. Am I missing something? I followed the SLX guidelines for enabling GL3 (i.e. set up the trigger and dummy solider) and it seems to work for other squads but not for vehicles or choppers.

Gotta say, this mod with DAC + CoC makes for some awesome firefights.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Big Poppa

Perhaps a UN vs China scenario, I'm extremely tired of fighting as an American all the time, there are so many excellent packs of European armies that you could use.

Perhaps a UN vs China scenario, I'm extremely tired of fighting as an American all the time, there are so many excellent packs of European armies that you could use.

I was just about to say that goodnight.gif

If an Iraqi conflict version is ever done (That I do doubt though), Blackwater or DynCorp ect. style units should be included. As resistance.

Typical story of US of A coming to save the day? tounge2.gif

what about something futuristic?

Totally new sides were you could invent every part to your likings and not stick to so much realism (will generate less complains)

You can have the helicopters with same movement, different textures and no visible blades so it looks like air ships

Tanks without weels so they seem like hoovering.

Big wastelands without forests, sea; dead citys, etc.

But no railguns, sticking to good old bullets but faster firerrates, and stuff like that...

what about africa...

like kongo is east and and a small tribe is west and the UN-forces are resistance biggrin_o.gif

or something futuristic

earth/west

mars/east

moon/res yay.gif

People through their endless imagination are forgetting that FFSX is a replacement mod, not a Make-everything-from-scratch mod. The customizing of addons has to be kept to a minimum in order to make the replacement mod. Most of what this mod offers is replacement for BIS items and more importantly changes in coding of weaponsystems and Ai, not entirely new armies made from scratch.

Hi,

Your suggestions are very appreciated here, and indeed, some themes might be very interesting and out of the ordinary, but since Operation Flashpoint is mainly centered on the US forces, having other nations instead might break 'a little something' as noticed with the 'Euro / Asian' packs, because intriguingly, people lost interest in them pretty quickly and rather chose other 'classical themes' ('85 and '06/'07).

And believe me, I would be the first one to not put US forces as key representative army of a game since almost every game that pops up on the shelf, comes with that 'Boring-commercial principle'.

Regards,

TB

Hello Everybody !!

Does anybody have the problem that the AI shoots really bad und can´t even hit you even when you´re only 3 meters away ??

@MP_Phonix

I believe that replacement was in the Y2K3 Mod and it worked pretty well, using the military and civil versions.

@Schulz

A civilian version must be provided aswell as the resistance PV3S is a civilian PV3S with the term FIA printed on the side and back. So if the kamas has a civilian version it could be used.

I would say both are a little bit too old..what about the Kamaz

It needs to be old, as the Resistance uses mainly aging, captured and domestic equipment wink_o.gif

A Special Forces war would be pretty cool, Something like SAS vs Spetsnaz, or SEALs vs Insurgents.

Well her in Afgahnistan the civies uses Kamaza trucks as well as the Zils and URLs as everyday transport units, some can be be found in the afghanistan packs have to have the AVIA and NIVA trucks as well and Mercadies cargo trucks. Dispite the age of alot of the old milspec trucks many are still hauling stuff back and forth across the country. Often loaded down with twice its weight in cargo. I'm impressed by the performance of the old Russain army trucks.

there was a civilian version of the kamaz but without cargo-space it has a container instead sad_o.gif

how bout the Headcam added. I found the addon on a site (i will have to look it up) but it was definitely an interesting addon for my missions. Also maybe a full screen night vision (if possible) that eclipse is a bit annoying. Looking forward to FFURSLX 2008 and the space on the server is already made.

There civ Kamaz in the afghan pack, both pashtu and the other big tribe here. was thinking abot recoloring them and updating the model but never headr back from Remo for the aprroval.

Thunderbird,

I think that your idea to add battlements such as the earthwork defenses is a really intriguing idea, especially if it's "AI ready." Now, I've downloaded said addon in the past, and if I remember correctly, they're already supposed to be setup so the AI can use them effectively. Are you planning on the enemy leader being able to deploy these as well? That could add quite a twist to the missions that we're all so familiar with.

Is it possible to alter the kind of dust cloud that's generated when rounds hit structures and obstacles? The current incarnation makes it difficult to see where the rounds are landing when they're hitting objects.

I was wondering if you'd consider altering some of the weapon scripts. For example, instead of just adding the capability to mount/dismount the Aimpoint for ironsights, we could also have a choice between mounting/dismounting an Aimpoint for an ACOG system.

Furthermore, I recently read where specialized optics are already being employed by troops in Iraq, whereby they're able to adjust the magnification from 1.0x to 3.0x, with extremely pricey models offering up to 6.0x ! I wish that I would've saved the link to the in-depth article I read, but I'm wondering if that's something that can be added to the Action Menu as well. That way the player could adjust his/her optics to a desired magnification. Perhaps three options could be selected: Lowest, Medium, and Maximum magnifications. Maybe only SOF would have access to the very pricey aiming aides?

WIP released a M4 pack that had a working laser pointer on the "short" versions of the weapon. It was always "on" till the player slung it on the back, and then it would reactivate once the player held the weapon. This tells me that the laser is a "feature" that can be turned on/off. The only downside to the system that WIP used is that I believe his "short" M4s are missing LODs, and that inside of lit buildings, the bright red laser becomes darker in appearance. If there's any way to address these shortcomings, and integrate a "laser pointer on/off" feature, that would be quite an additon to FFSX, especially if an infrared version, invisible to the normal eye, but completely visible via NVDs, could also be folded in. I can't imagine seeing something more eerie than green or red beams searching out for their targets... That would have to be quite unnerving.

Also, I remember an earlier release of FFUR whereby the player could choose to mount/dismount a suppressor through the Action Menu... Is this something that can once again be enabled, at least for the weaponry that the SOF units use?

There's a small script that's available at OFPEC that's called something like "doubleweapons," whereby extra weapons/gear can be assigned to the AI/player. I've yet to test this script out fully to see if the AI can actually use it well, and my primary intention in using this script is to create an extra invisible "pouch" of ammo and grenades. I'd prefer this route over using a backpack, because, frankly I think most troops drop their rucksack to grant them extra speed, endurance, and mobility during the heat of battle. I've read from numerous sources that most combat troops carry 300+ rounds (10 magazines' worth) for their primary weapon, and a range of grenades (red/green/white smoke, and 4-6 frags). Due to OFP's equipment limitations, I'm wondering if you'd consider using a script similar to the one noted above in boosting the amount of gear that the AI carries into battle. With the AI using suppressing fire more frequently than before, it's much more likely that they'll burn through their ammo more quickly, and few things in OFP are more awkward and frustrating to see properly executed than micromanaging how/where one's AI goes to get more ammo. Please note that I'm not asking that said script be used to invisibly carry extra small firearms, nor am I asking that the suppressing fire gets "dumbed down," as it's one of SLX's most outstanding features. I'd rather run out of ammo than to see that feature being diminished in any way.

One of the things that really caught my eye with the recent release of the Modern Combat Mod is how extra popular addons (weapons/vehicles/etc.) were made to work within the mod, even if said item never appears in BIS' missions/campaigns themselves. This enhances the additional value of using such a mod, because odds are high that custom made missions do utilize these units, and if they're enhanced to work seamlessly with another great mod, well, who wouldn't want those nice extras? For example, I'd love to be able to mount/dismount the HK416 carbine's aiming aides from SJB's wonderful weapons pack, but I can't since such a feature's not supported in the current incarnation of FFSX. I don't want to sound like my entire focus is on enhancing Western weapons, but Eastern one's as well (the Cobra aiming aide on AKs, for example).

Before I go, and if you have the time, I'm in the midst of editing a mission, and I'd like it to maximize FFSX's features, but I need to know what the class names are for the M4s and M4A1s (with/without suppressors, and preferably with mountable/dismountable aiming aides)?

The mission I'm crafting sets the player up so that they don't have any kind of support, so how do I go about disabling the radio and its artillery scripts from spawning with my player? And just for future reference, does the radio and its artillery scripts work if the radio's assigned to a member of my squad that I can get close to? If such is possible, how would I go about assigning the radio to one of my units? In other words, what's its classname, or the classname of the unit that I have to have on the battlefield in order for me to use this feature as I desire?

If you don't mind sharing with me the script that you've used to allow weapons' models to be swapped mid-game whenever the optics are mounted/dismounted via the Action Menu, I'd love to use it to setup some of the more esoteric weapons (such as the HK416 carbine) to do the same thing that the M4s can now do in FFSX. I've scoured numerous sites to try and find a script that does what yours does, but I haven't been able to locate it, especially since the script you're using KEEPS COUNT of the number of rounds that were fired when the swap is completed.

One more item, not directly related to this incarnation of FFSX: in light of the poll that you recently ran in regards to future incarnations of FFSX, I have an additional idea; how about a China as East/Middle Eastern units as Resistance/U.S.+allies as West scenario for the campaign? This seems like a really plausible set of circumstances to occur, and could open up the gates to utilizing an enormous range of quality community work.

Keep up the great work, and I hope things are going well for you in the civilian world.

Yours!

Kyle

Nov. 3, 2007

smile_o.gif

Hi,

Thank you for your great interest, suggestions and reports, your replies have been copied/pasted and registered under 'My WIP folder', and they will be taken into consideration as soon as possible.

This doesn't mean that they will all be done, I will check them out to see whether there may be a way to carry them out or not, before letting you know about the result.

But at the moment, I'm working very hard on the '85 Project (2008 Edition), a lot of research is done in this area to know more about this era in order to make the MOD as close as possible to the reality, but without breaking BIS missions and campaigns.

So excluding the features and models that have already been included, expect to see:

- A Free Lag Mod using a huge amount of realistic features and effects.

- A complete set of '85 vehicles variants (A la WGL).

If you have some suggestions regarding this theme, feel free to post them below, any help in this regards, would be much appreciated!

1985 was a great year full of significant and striking events, the cold war is a theme that should deserve a special attention!

Moreover, it is OFP's main theme and is probably one of the main aspects that made OFP so unique!

Stay tuned.

Best Regards,

TB

Can't wait for this to come out! Can you tell us anything yet about the units and vehicles that are going to be in this ffur? smile_o.gif