Sign in to follow this  
skypine27

Joystick and Rudder Pedals question:

First off, I'm a long time player of Operation Flashpoint on Wiindows XP, with a microsoft sidewinder 2 joystick.

Im building a new, Vista, SLI system to start playing Armed Assault. Unfortunately, Vista will NOT support my old Sidewinder 2 Joystick (even though it is USB, it wont detect it) which had a nice, twist grip for the rudder axis.

So, I have bought a new CH Fighterstick, and a set of rudder pedals. I'm still building my system, so I have not had the chance to try them out yet.

Does Armed Assault support rudder pedals for the yaw axis? And, like in Flashpoint, can you reverse the throttle slider for Helicopter use (it should be the opposite of aircraft throttles)

Thanks guys

as of yet, ARMA has not incorporated rudder pedals into the game for yaw movement. if i remember correctly, ( i may be wrong here...) this wont be implemented until "game 2", or even later. discussions have gone back and forth about it...so far it is a no go. again, things might have changed since i last kept up with that thread. but unlikely

as for the throttle, yes it is reversible for helo duty smile_o.gif

The answer is yes, ArmA supports rudder pedals (any axis really) for the rudder input in the game. The caveat is that ArmA has no multi-controller support which means if your rudder axis is on another device then you have to pick one and only one device to use.

I've tried unsuccessfully to get some kind of "Virtual joystick" that actually took input from multiple devices and presented it software-wise as one.

Thanks guys.

Guess Im going to Best Buy today to look for a new, single, joystick that has a throttle slider and a twist grip. (and works with Vista...)

No waiiiiit!

It is possible to use your pedals in ArmA.

Just use your joystick program to assign the rudder axis to be the x mouse axis.

Then map rudder to the mouse x axis ingame.

Works perfectly.

You can actually assing axis from ALL CH controllers into a single virtual joystick that's visible for the game, I'm myself using Fighterstick + ProPedals to play ArmA.

And you don't have to assign anything to mouse axis, I have X&Y in stick, Z is the stick throttle slider and rudder-axis in pedals is R-axis.

Just make sure you have everything set from different controllers into same CM Device ID.

S h i tt. Too late, I already bought a new Logitech extreme 3D pro (has twist grip for rudder and slider for throttle). I like the stick so far, but joystick axis is a bit too stiff.

Question:

How do I reverse the thumb throttle for helis? I have it set fine for helis, ie, pull the throttle tab "back" (towards you) and the heli climbs, push it away and it descends. But this translates into backwards use for airplanes, Ie, if I push the throttle forward, that is idle thrust in an airplane.

Another question, where are the controls for the Harriers exhaust nozzles (or is it just the auto hoover button)

Thanks guys

Another question, where are the controls for the Harriers exhaust nozzles (or is it just the auto hoover button)

Neither Harrier jets nor helicopters can "hoover":

hoover.jpg

hover.jpg

Quote[/b] ]No waiiiiit!

It is possible to use your pedals in ArmA.

Just use your joystick program to assign the rudder axis to be the x mouse axis.

Then map rudder to the mouse x axis ingame.

Works perfectly.

Priceless, works great, thanks a lot !

As Faulkner decided to not answer your question but rather make fun of you spelling ( it was good fun though rofl.gif ).

You can only assign one throttle axis, so there's no way to have both worlds at the same time without remapping.

And sadly the Harrier doesn't really work like a Harrier fm-wise so you have to use the autohover, I'm afraid.

Edit

No problem, mate. Glad to help.

Neither Harrier jets nor helicopters can "hoover":

if you get their intakes close enough to the ground they could prolley hooverbut i dunno where ya would put the handle and attachments

tounge2.gif

Well then thats a step back from Flashpoint. In flashpoint, Im 99% sure (its been a while since I played), that there was a check box for "invert throttle" axis for Helios (similar to an invert y mouse axis). So you could map the throttle slider normal for Aircraft, then check that box, and it then work in reverse (ie, corretly), for helios

I cant belive Armed Assault skipped that? The game is a terrible flight sim (for the A-10 anyway), but helos are fun. I guess I'll map it correctly for helios and skip the A-10 stuff

Hi .. i have vista and my sidewinder works ... well justo let you know.

dont get rid of the sidewinder .. cause its still great pistols.gif

Hi my sidewinder 2 force feedback works great with both Vista 64 and XP. Note there were some bugs in Arma with joysticks in general around patch 1.05 & 1.08 but all is good now