Sign in to follow this  

New sub forum for addon requests?

the title ArmA - ADDONS & MODS: DISCUSSION

lets take a closer look at the word DISCUSSION

dis·cus·sion

an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc., esp. to explore solutions; informal debate.

How is someone going to request an addon if he needs to disucss it?

Why should one thread hold hundreds of discussions?

Personally imo this is so counter productive if someone wants an addon made.... Then mabey they should be allowed to discuss it in an organized manner. I dont want to search through x amount of pages to see if someone responded to this or that. That just me... dont know about everyone else....

or do we have this in one topic so nothing can be made?

I will only consider making an addon for someone if i can read from top to bottom one coherant discussion... Again thats just me...

any opinions?

Well, I agree.

Although I'm not and addon maker, and also have never posted a request in these forums, I think that a new sub forum would be better than the current 'Addon request' thread.

Dispite the request thread, some people still post requests as seperate threads for various reasons. I'm fairly sure one of these reasons is confussion, people join the forum, and don't know exactly where to post for a request. If there was a seperate sub-forum, there would be no more confussion. It would be obvious.

Secondly, such a sub forum would allow more detailed discussion of addon ideas. Finding a discussion about a specific request in the current thread is near impossible, given its 43 pages. You can't use the forum search in indiviual threads either.

A seperate thread for each request would quickly highlight the more popular ideas (more posts, more often, so the topic would be higher in the subforum). Should someone be looking for an addon to make, they would be able to find what people wanted most.

I personally wouldn't have much use for it, but I think it could benefit a fair few people.

I dont want to search through x amount of pages to see if someone responded to this or that. That just me... dont know about everyone else....

You either have to wade through x many pages of one thread, or x many pages of the board to find the thread you're looking for.

The point of the "Addons request thread" is that the addon makers in this "community" are generally NOT making content "on demand" so having the addons & mods: discussion board full of "make this for me plz k thx" is even LESS productive.

Personally, I think such a sub-forum would be a waste of server space and bandwidth. I know a LOT of mod makers rarely visit the requests thread, so how do you think a whole sub-forum will look?

I dont want to search through x amount of pages to see if someone responded to this or that. That just me... dont know about everyone else....

You either have to wade through x many pages of one thread, or x many pages of the board to find the thread you're looking for.

The point of the "Addons request thread" is that the addon makers in this "community" are generally NOT making content "on demand" so having the addons & mods: discussion board full of "make this for me plz k thx" is even LESS productive.

Personally, I think such a sub-forum would be a waste of server space and bandwidth. I know a LOT of mod makers rarely visit the requests thread, so how do you think a whole sub-forum will look?

It will look a lot better for the people who want to help other people.

Probally definitely be a waste of time for those who are only in it for themselves.  wink_o.gif

It could be for example easier to figure out if an addon can be made or not...

Why?, because those who dont know how, can get insight from others who are willing to share that information VS the meglomaniac-egocentric thinking of lets keep all those who want to try in the dark.

For example....

Lets say someone requests a SEAL unit.

They can get feedback as to the pros and cons of how it needs to be done in order to work.

Why not have threads that are gathering info on the process to make it work vs having a single thread eat up every single addon idea .

I personally will help someone make an addon if it seems well thought out and can see how serious that person is in making it. Believe it or not but there are others too would probally agree. Plus helping with refrence pics can be accomplished from people who are not making the addons. All of this should not build up in a single thread IMO

It will look a lot better for the people who want to help other people.

Sorry, are you even looking at the same "community"?

Probally definitely be a waste of time for those who are only in it for themselves.

Because I can see a lot of people falling over themselves to help? (as a side note, before I get accused of being eliteist or whatever bullshit AGAIN, there is a list as long as my arm who have benefited from my help, so don't start throwing accusations around the place smile_o.gif )

It could be for example easier to figure out if an addon can be made or not...

Why?, because those who dont know how, can get insight from others who are willing to share that information VS the meglomaniac-egocentric thinking of lets keep all those who want to try in the dark.

And why does that need a specific REQUESTS subforum? Whats wrong with the existing O2 boards for helping newbies?

For example....

Lets say someone requests a SEAL unit.

They can get feedback as to the pros and cons of how it needs to be done in order to work.

Why not have threads that are gathering info on the process to make it work vs having a single thread eat up every single addon idea.

And in the real world, you'll have 23453456353242 2 or 3 post threads consiting of:

<ul>[*]"can someone make addon xxx"

[*]"Yeah that'd be kewl"

[*]Bump, anyone?

It does pose a classic dilemma (always wanted to use that

word in its correct context wink_o.gif )

The huge multi-topic request thread is unsuitable for any sort

of coherent discussion, especially as it gets longer.

The alternative, however, also raises the likelihood of a

multitude of short threads which do no more than suggest

that some kind of unit be made.

My preference would ideally be that such requests for basic

units be banned from the forum altogether, since they are

largely a waste of space, and nobody is making things on

demand in any case. The only exceptions I would make is if

the suggested thing adds something interesting and

discussion would be of value. The recent discussion of rock

climbing (no doubt soon to be locked and deferred to the

request thread bin) is a good example.

Quote[/b] ]Sorry, are you even looking at the same "community"??
based on your response I guess not.
Quote[/b] ]And why does that need a specific REQUESTS subforum? Whats wrong with the existing O2 boards for helping newbies?

What wrong? Well for starters, mabey the discussion isnt o2 related. wink_o.gif

I just personally feel it better to have a black hole of threads with their own topic, rather than a useless single thread as it is now.. No one is forcing you to go there. And if a new modder comes along and sees where the demand is , he will atleast have chance to find it rather than not.

Obviously there will be a alot of dumb requests which will never see anything but the back of the list..... Anything current will like most likely stay in the first few pages.....

Its hard to say if it will really make it better or not.

goodnight.gif

I suppose that originally the "requests" thread was started so (mostly new people) wouldn't start a bunch of topics of the first addon they want.Without using the search first and usually something that is already in the works and several topics already opened.

And so someone could scan one topic to see if alot of people requesting same addon and then someone would make it.

Must be tough for the moderators to distinguish but I believe the original intent of the "discussion" area was for WIP's. So if you have some screenshots and are asking for input they won't lock it.

From what I see tho, if you start a topic and get a serious helpfull discussion going on they don't close it for a bit if its drawing attention.

As long as your not asking for the addon its not a request, right.

I think you should be able to open a topic asking for help to finish an addon wouldn't be a request.But thats sometimes a way that someone that wants it made tricks people into making them one.

Discrection of the moderators.

They are just trying to organize the forums

edit: I want to add that I never read the requests topic,I have many projects in mind that I'd like to do. Nevermind making other peoples requests.

EVEN THO the Corsair F4u addon I made was a request, I prefer medium dual purpose bombers (Helldiver,Avenger,Dauntless etc..)

I just want to read about addons in progress and serious works (attempts)

I suppose that originally the "requests" thread was started so (mostly new people) wouldn't start a bunch of topics of the first addon they want.Without using the search first and usually something that is already in the works and several topics already opened.

Yes, and that works really well doesn't it? whistle.gif

Yes, and that works really well doesn't it? whistle.gif

It does. It's at 43 pages right now. At 15 posts per page that would equal about 645 different threads that would have otherwise been opened in the main discussion area.

Abs

Quote[/b] ]It does. It's at 43 pages right now. At 15 posts per page that would equal about 645 different threads that would have otherwise been opened in the main discussion area.

If that is the case then I would say it has worked well.  smile_o.gif Knock yourselfs out.

Quote[/b] ]Sorry, are you even looking at the same "community"?

Unfortuently in general you are right, its luck to find someone thats willing to help others at all (learning to mod has been hard due to this reason  huh.gif )

Quote[/b] ]Personally, I think such a sub-forum would be a waste of server space and bandwidth. I know a LOT of mod makers rarely visit the requests thread, so how do you think a whole sub-forum will look?

True, bit atleast those posts are out of the way, and in a spot for those that are willing to do addons on request, or are looking for ideas since they are bored/idealess tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]It does. It's at 43 pages right now. At 15 posts per page that would equal about 645 different threads that would have otherwise been opened in the main discussion area.

Then its mission accomplished smile_o.gif

I mean new people continually create separate addon

request threads and the mods get exasperated that people

ignore the sticky thread. There are at least three open topics

that should be moved there right now. There'll certainly be

many more. Many people don't bother to search, and don't

bother to look at the sticky topics.

Shoving everything into one huge thread which some have

already said is too unwieldy to peruse and not conducive to

discussion is hardly "mission accomplished".

Anyway, that's me over and out. It's all a waste of time

arguing the point since almost nothing is ever made as a

result of any of these "make an addon" requests. And "bored

and idealess" persons perhaps should be looking for another

hobby that might inspire them more.

I certainly see djfrogstar's side of things but I think a sub board would be too much.

Though as it is, is a bit silly.

I would like seperate sticky' s for different groups of addons ie, land, sea, air, man and landscape/building.

Quote[/b] ]It's all a waste of time

arguing the point since almost nothing is ever made as a

result of any of these "make an addon" requests.

that's the point.

I have mixed feelings about this.

The idea is good, however it's not worth "wasting" another subforum imo. I see it more like a combination of Addon Research Topic, Addon Request thread, and the editing/modelling ones, where one topic concerning one particular addon, the discussion starts from a wish/suggestion, people talk about it, an interested mod helps, or does at least part of the job etc.

What about pinning an instruction here. Changing the forum rules a bit, and making the "addons request" thread more addonmaker-friendly.

"Want to have a mod done?"

1. Search or ask first, to see if there's already one in the making. If it is, go to that topic, post feedback, suggest or just motivate the addonmaker/team. (this includes checking info about mod team's projects, searching in addonslist, or even other forums and sites)

2. Check the "addon request thread", it might have been suggested many times. If it has, contact that people, they might help you, or you might ask someone together, or even start working by yourselves.

3. If you can't find anything, post your request in the "addon request thread"

4. If you want to share your knowledge, do it in the "addon research thread"

While writting this, I changed my mind about the subforum. Such instruction could be in the first post of an "addon request" thread. Moreover, the "addon request thread" should contain only links to topics with the requests. The topics should be in the subforum, and have a form of a poll, so that people could vote, in theory, the more votes, the bigger chance for addon to be made. It would look like this:

addon (e.g. t90) - purpose (e.g. user mission) - user ( e.g. funnyguy1)

This way, we have decent addon research and request subforum. Would be also cool if the editing ones weren't so much outside of the mainstreem ones. Armavidz accurately called them "the forgotten forums".

If noone want's to do it, I can. It's just ctrl+c and ctrl+v of the links. Isnt it?

Yes, and that works really well doesn't it?   whistle.gif

It does. It's at 43 pages right now. At 15 posts per page that would equal about 645 different threads that would have otherwise been opened in the main discussion area.

Abs

Sorry

but your simplified math does not equal anything close to the real result.

nice logic rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ] I would like seperate sticky' s for different groups of addons ie, land, sea, air, man and landscape/building.

I think thats a better solution.... Probally the best one we are going to get.

Quote[/b] ]I mean new people continually create separate addon

ignore the sticky thread.

That's true, but there's always bound to be those few who just don't see the thread, or who are too enthused by their "new" idea to bother looking...it happens. If that thread wasn't there, you can't deny that the number of people posting their requests would be a lot higher (think back to the days before that thread was there.

Quote[/b] ]that's the point.

At least someone gets it. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Sorry

nice logic rofl.gif

Perhaps my math is a little simple, but your mockery doesn't really help the discussion, does it? Why don't you tell me why my math is wrong and attack the merits of my argument instead of making a non-argument.

Cheers.

Abs

Quote[/b] ]I mean new people continually create separate addon

ignore the sticky thread.

That's true, but there's always bound to be those few who just don't see the thread, or who are too enthused by their "new" idea to bother looking...it happens. If that thread wasn't there, you can't deny that the number of people posting their requests would be a lot higher (think back to the days before that thread was there.

Quote[/b] ]that's the point.

At least someone gets it. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Sorry

nice logic  rofl.gif

Perhaps my math is a little simple, but your mockery doesn't really help the discussion, does it? Why don't you tell me why my math is wrong and attack the merits of my argument instead of making a non-argument.

Cheers.

Abs

The addon request thread is made up of not only requests but merged threads and offtopic posts to different subjects.

Therefore to multiply 15 posts per page is not a near accurate number to how many new threads would have appeared in a sub forum.

Try taking your final number and divide it with another number.. Then you will have a closer more accurate number.

Your post was hyperbole.

hy·per·bo·le     –noun Rhetoric. 1. obvious and intentional exaggeration

So try and imagine how thoughtfull your argument seemed with your incomplete math formula.

anyways... I guess its obvious then... BIS forums are just not ever going to be perfect..

thats life I guess

surely a better solution is to sticky a post simply stating

PEOPLE WHO ARE WILLING To HELP others to make ADDONS

inside this

djfrogstar

experience

method of contact

the otherguy

djfrogstar could be pmed by other people willing to help and he can manage the first post. It should also be made a post that cannot be replied too inorder to stop all the shit that would accumilate underneath.

this idea is obviously for people who are willing to accept abuse in pm`s -emails etc from teenagers with lots of ideas and is not for old members who have fallen from the perch and dont like the idea of new people learning and maybe outshining them lol .

I've been on this forum since the beginning and from what I've seen, addon makers are not idea-less but inspired.

They have a desire to create something and they create it. It's like songwriting. Nobody goes to a songwriter and says "Hey can you write a song about love this time?". The songwriter writes about something that comes in his head that HE/SHE wants to express. Most of the time the work is done for their own solitude and never shared. Modelers are a talent and they create for themselves and then share. It's not elitism, it's art. How else can you explain the abundance of M4's in OFP.

The addon request thread's REAL purpose is not to request an addon, it is to coral all addon requests from the forum and leave the forum clean for the discussion of the actual making of an addon.

--Ben

Its been fun.... Thanks for the good times and bad smile_o.gif

Its been fun.... Thanks for the good times and bad smile_o.gif

Well, since that part about not every post being a request was obvious to anyone who's read the thread, I didn't think it worth mentioning. I also wasn't about to sit down and write out a mathematical formula to determine the exact number of requests. The point is that all the requests are collected there, and it's been doing a good job of it.

It's been fun? Are you really leaving the community because of this thread, or am I reading too much into what you just said?

Abs

Egads ...djfrogstar your input was certainly welcomed to me.

Alot of stress in these forums lately (I consider taking a break too)

I blame the new generation of gamers , lol

I enjoyed your input and concerns, you obviously care if you were concerned. Just blow it off