Sign in to follow this  
Hoot1988

Submersables And Scuba Kit

First of all is anyone working on Submarines for armed assault? Such as the USS Virginia.

and is anyone working on Scuba diving kit for SFs?

Im considering starting the scuba kit project myself as i don't like how ArmA removes a soldiers standard weapons. want to make some Navy Seal rebreathers, and allow the Infantry to keep their weapons, not being capable of using them in water however. and launch stealthy Sea insertions. However is it possible or is it a game limitation?

Quote[/b] ] Im considering starting the scuba kit project myself as i don't like how ArmA removes a soldiers standard weapons. want to make some Navy Seal rebreathers, and allow the Infantry to keep their weapons, not being capable of using them in water however. and launch stealthy Sea insertions. However is it possible or is it a game limitation?

Thats a good question/idea, last night while playing i decided to swim some 200m and wasn't couting with losing weapons...

Probably with some scripting we can avoid weapons from disapear...But a scubadiver addon would be very nice indeed...

Submersible and swimming objects are certainly possible.

There is a thread in this subforum about someone making

SEAL delivery vehicles and WW2 Chariot style vehicles, and

the lost World people, I have been told, already have

swimming sharks working.

I haven't done extensive testing

but I do know that recently in a mission (coop on our server)

that I had to swim across from an island...

I commented verbally on our Ventrilo that my guy still had his weapons

he dropped them at about the same time that his swimming speed

got really slow and his breathing got really heavy

maybe it is coded to how 'exhausted' the player is

I haven't tried seeing if their is a way to swim slower or take a break.....

maybe if someone simply coded a script that allows for a menu option to 'rest and tread water' that sets that 'exhaustion' value back a little bit.... then the guy wouldn't drop the stuff???

They should just remove the weapon loss misfeature

altogether. I'm sure almost nobody finds it a realistic,

exciting or useful attribute.

i think its challengeing! i have a mission that plays out really diferently depending on if you take swim or travel by land, and by taking swim you could loose gear but i have seen a script that you can put in your missions that makes the soldier to have the weapons again after he gets out of the water when he has lost them. smile_o.gifSave your gear so its not that difficult to plug it in into a user made mission i think. Btw the feature of loosing the weapons when swimming is probably good for regular, normal soldiers but might not always be good for super special forces dudes like delta force or navy seal but everything can be edited to your likings i think. smile_o.gif

This is one of the things they should have added. A range of kits to pick up (separate from the gear screen) that would facilitate diving or swimming. SCUBA, re breather, etc. It would make over the beach operations possible.

The other thing I think should have been added was a pack system. Again, separate from carrying your rifle, AT kit and pistol, and all the stuff already on the gear screen, actually making packs useful for carrying things would have been nice. For example, they could have made a GUI for your pack similar to the gear screen. Different rucksacks, 3-day packs, assault packs, medical kit packs, etc. could have been included.

You should ask CoC to make Navy SEALs again, i bet they would do it. Also, this sounds like an excellent thing to do, i would love scuba kits, SDV's, and others. smile_o.gif

They should just remove the weapon loss misfeature

altogether. I'm sure almost nobody finds it a realistic,

exciting or useful attribute.

I used to tghink the same, but now I think it could be more realistic if they simply extended the time before weapon loss by a few of minutes.

Also think it would be cool if you lost secondary weapons and MGs before rifles.

Increasing the time it takes to drop something would be an

improvement. That may well be possible by incrementing a

variable value in a config somewhere (but I dunno since I've

never looked).

Thinking about the whole water thing, I'd much prefer it if

they had worked harder on making the transition from

swimming to wading to walking up the beach much better

than it is in the game. It's a bit silly that all of the  

ArmA battles are fought on islands yet the game's support

for amphibious operations leaves much to be desired.

Personally, in that situation i would never drop my sh!t. NEVER. NEVER. NEVER. I agree with you though. If you are treading water for a long time you will indeed start to drop your stuff. Especially if you were humping around a SAW. The losing weapons feature should start first by losing grenades not smoke or flares. Then your pistol. Next binoculars, and so forth. But never ever do you drop your rifle or smoke/flare.

You asked if anyone making subs for Arma...I have a WWII era Gato class submarine I would like to finish for Arma.

Definately possible.Back when I first got OFP (many moons ago) I determined that it was possible when I setpos a bmp underwater and drove it around (no damage occured to the occupants)

Then came along the Coc divers which of course must be a vehicle type

It is absolutely possible

edit: you wouldn't lose weapons because you would be inside a vehicle

A British WW2 T-class sub is on my list of stuff to do, but I

need to do more research on them and get further on with

the landing boats I'm doing first.

Since 1.08 soldiers take health dammage under water wink_o.gif  So this will have to be overcome.

But think of the possibilities underwater wrecks, riffs, ATLANTIS!! biggrin_o.gif

But think of the possibilities underwater wrecks, riffs, ATLANTIS!! biggrin_o.gif

now thats food for fun stories!

Hehe yeah love stargate, but i meant atlantis in an historical/folklore context like underwaters ruins.

I think water combat/environment has the potential to be huge in Arma, way more than it ever was in OFP.

Oilrigs anyone? I even got all happy when i noticed the shipwreck on porto island yay.gif