Sign in to follow this  
binkster

What New Features are in O2?

Explain some new features for people like me who did small work in oxygen light. I know extrude is one.

These are just a few I've found (and have made use of):

- The ability to define .RVMAT files to textures within the model. This basically works like cfgmaterials and cfgtexturetomaterials in a config.cpp for your model, but you can apply different RVMAT properties to different faces even they all use the same texture. Whereas by going the config.cpp route, you're limited to one property per entire texture. Also allows you to preview normal and specular mapping in the ArmA engine (see 'Using the ArmA engine as a viewer'wink_o.gif

- Structure > Carve

I have no idea what it does, but I don't think it was in the old O2 wink_o.gif

- Using the ArmA engine as the viewer.

Once configured in conjunction with the RVMAT files (see above), it enables you to preview your model, as it (should) look once correctly configured to work ingame, complete with normal maps, and lighting.

- Buldozer Button > Environment Editor:

Want to check your RVMAT files are working to make that laser-dot glow? Want to see if your Muzzle-flash textures will glow in the dark? Well, you can now use the environment editor to alter the time of day in Buldozer, so you can set it to midnight and see what glows and what doesn't.

- Various masking features within Buldozer:

Annoyed that you can't quite see if the subtle edits you're doing to your model are having any affect because there is part of the model obstructing your view in Buldozer? Well, using the Buldozer Button, you can check the "Hide Hidden Faces" option, then simply hide your selection in O2 (select it then hit CTRL+H - CTRL+SHIFT+H to unhide), so you can see the wireframe more clearly - Then, what you see in O2, is what you see in Buldozer (it hides everything in the 3d preview that you hid in the main O2 window).

- Create custom shortcuts to different options:

Under File > Shortcuts you can define shortcuts to different options within O2, very handy if you keep forgetting what the shortcut for an option is, you can makeup your own so you wont forget.

These are just SOME of the new options, not all of them.

These are just a few I've found (and have made use of):

- The ability to define .RVMAT files to textures within the model. This basically works like cfgmaterials and cfgtexturetomaterials in a config.cpp for your model, but you can apply different RVMAT properties to different faces even they all use the same texture. Whereas by going the config.cpp route, you're limited to one property per entire texture. Also allows you to preview normal and specular mapping in the ArmA engine (see 'Using the ArmA engine as a viewer'wink_o.gif

- Using the ArmA engine as the viewer.

Once configured in conjunction with the RVMAT files (see above), it enables you to preview your model, as it (should) look once correctly configured to work ingame, complete with normal maps, and lighting.

Better than that! Once you setup your texture names and RVMAT files and PBO the addon, there is no need to add any CfgTextureToMaterial or CfgMaterials section to the config, ingame it displays just like the preview.

Only problem is my white textures are now grey crazy_o.gif

PiperWII_4.jpg

built -in scripting funtionality for O2... great... being able to create scripts that 'do stuff' to existing and new model files... heh!

The scripting engine seems to be buggy because even the BIS scripts doesnt work for me.

don 't forget the ability of creating animations... wink_o.gif

also to record macros...

I found the MATEDITOR very easy to use smile_o.gif

instead of making tons of cpp lines to define texturetomaterial class and materials themseves,I can now apply RVMATS to the model.. Oh!!!! biggrin_o.gif

and the textures can be renamed in O2 smile_o.gif

Great stuff guys im learning more and more....  My skills are limited since I never finished klinks plane tutorial because he didnt finish it....    smile_o.gif

Great stuff guys im learning more and more....  My skills are limited since I never finished klinks plane tutorial because he didnt finish it....    smile_o.gif

Aw!. Sorry about that. One thing I always meant to finish...

Aw!. Sorry about that. One thing I always meant to finish...

Any posibility for a tutorial like your other for O2.. Yours was the best from detail to detail...

I'll see what I can do. Its probably about time that I updated things on the site. So might as well look at the tutorials.