Sign in to follow this  
Symbiot

Symbiot's Drop Rain Replacement

OK, after talking completely out my @ss on the last few responses I think I may have found out what the problem is.

Is it possible that there is now a bug in these latest versions whereby if you start a mission assigning a static object (invisible H for example) with this exec "camera.sqs"; that it causes the rain not to work?

The mission I've been running while testing all your rain updates is one I plan to use for some camera and script testing in hopes I can eventually make a movie from. Up until the last few versions, starting off in free cam worked like a charm and your rain mod was working perfectly.

So tonight the rust snapped from one of the rusty cogs within the inner workings of my brain which made me load another mission where I start as player. Voila, Symbiots Rain mod in all it's glory. I then went back to my other mission and sure enough, the original ArmA rain is only visible until I V Key from camera.sqs to player. Once I leave free cam and assume player, the rain script works fine.

I can definitely say that if this is indeed a bug, it was introduced within the last few releases as its worked fine previously.

-Duke- I think it's because the mod check for the player at the start I'll see if I can remove it but I don't know the side effects it was there when I started working on it so I left it in confused_o.gif

I'll see what I can do about it

check your messages I'll give you my email send me your mission so I'll know exactly whats happening

OK bud, I just sent you the mission I've been doing most of my testing with.

Watch it be me again whistle.gif

Hey Duke,

I sent you a email btw I think if you scripted the cam around a player I think it will work ok

Thanks agian for the input biggrin_o.gif

It's a raining... day whistle.gif

Would be nice if you can add more rain between rain squalls or maybe make it real intense rain like monsoon (without wind effect).

It's a raining... day  whistle.gif

Would be nice if you can add more rain between rain squalls or maybe make it real intense rain like monsoon (without wind effect).

NoRailgunner did you try the on all the rain levels it actually has 7 levels of rain try this    0 setrain 1  

you will see a drastic difference from the lower levels

this is as much rain as i could get away with without causing fps loss.....it adds rain to each level as it goes up  biggrin_o.gif

Sorry to dig up such an old topic. I just want to know, what was done in the config to remove the default rain texture? The addon modifies ArmA's main config and it's too big for me to find the changes myself.

I'm considering making an improved version of this, will ask for permission before release of course. I just need an answer to this question so I can start.

I've just installed this, but I'm still getting the stock rain texture.

Followed the readme.

Anything else I need to do? confused_o.gif

EDIT: Old version works fine but the latest one doesnt..

Maddmatt get Compare It! 3 wink_o.gif

Thanks. Gave it a try, but it shows up with too many little differences for me to find what I want. Like in my de-rapified config something will be "1.0", while in Symbiots config it's "1" (or vice versa, not sure). There are loads of other differences too like "0" being "false" in the other.

So I still want to find out what has changed, maybe you can use this program better than me?

Symbiot, you still around? Would help if you could tell me what you changed, please help.gif

Madmatt, I did the same thing a while ago, I think he only changed one or 2 spots - do a search in the config for "sym". I think that will take you to the places (and only those places) that you need. I'm pretty sure when I brought those into a config I was messing with, it worked and didn't have to look through everything else.

Madmatt, I did the same thing a while ago, I think he only changed one or 2 spots - do a search in the config for "sym". I think that will take you to the places (and only those places) that you need. I'm pretty sure when I brought those into a config I was messing with, it worked and didn't have to look through everything else.

Tried that. The only thing I can find is the eventhandlers.

After testing this, it seems that the default rain textures are still there. I thought he did something in the config to remove it in favour of the new rain particle effect huh.gif

I though that's why he replaced the main config instead of using an addon config. I guess he just didn't know how to add the eventhandlers with an addon so just used the old OFP method and made a whole new main config.

Anyway I think I just found my own way to do it, the rain texture is defined in the config of ca.pbo in the addons folder biggrin_o.gif

Edit: It works! No more ugly rain texture. Now to work on the rain effect...

Sorry to dig up such an old topic. I just want to know, what was done in the config to remove the default rain texture? The addon modifies ArmA's main config and it's too big for me to find the changes myself.

I'm considering making an improved version of this, will ask for permission before release of course. I just need an answer to this question so I can start.

It would be great to see work continue on this, especially if rain can be kept out of buildings (it rains when your inside) and also from falling under vehicles (if you crouch to see under a vehicle, you can still see rainfall falling to the ground blocked by the vehicle body).

Can you please upload the file somewhere Maddmatt.

I'll have a look, if you do. smile_o.gif

Maddmatt, I would love to see an updated version of this mod, my whole clan uses it and it's a pisser to see the default rain in some maps and the particle rain in others. Hope you can rework it smile_o.gif

This topic isn't dead yet ? biggrin_o.gif

Maddmatt

Check y'r pm plz.

I'd like to speak about some new effects.

Didn't think I'd attract attention like this with my post biggrin_o.gif

Symbiot gave me permission to use stuff from his addon.

I'm using his rain particle, and doing the rest from scratch. Now it follows the camera properly instead of the player, so it works properly even in cutscenes/intros/outros/3rd person view. I also removed the ugly rain texture that is overlayed on screen.

It adjusts perfectly according to rain intensity, no seperate levels. I used some basic maths to get smooth transitions.

I don't know a good way to stop the rain showing up inside buildings or under objects though sad_o.gif

Anyone got a good idea on how to do this?

Besides that issue (which even the standard rain has), it should be fine.

I actually think that's why they made the standard rain the way they did, so it was nearly invisible inside buildings.

Just a guess but can you make it so the rain in buildings is a light rain instead of the heavy rain seen everywhere else? I don't know if this is possible but it would make it seem more invisible.

If that was possible then they could just remove the indoor rain texture tounge2.gif

Hi Matt,

thats why I stopped playing with it but I did try alittle thing out you may want to examine if you make the rain a bullet class set the velocity to say 19 meters a sec and average to 12 meters you can get a rain that will not penatrate the buildings if you try make sure you make the hit and indirect as 0 hit points it works tried it out I'm just not a modder so I can't make the actual rain drops but this info might help you out

Sincerely,

Viper

Hi Matt,

thats why I stopped playing with it but I did try alittle thing out you may want to examine if you make the rain a bullet class set the velocity to say 19 meters a sec and average to 12 meters you can get a rain that will not penatrate the buildings if you try make sure you make the hit and indirect as 0 hit points it works tried it out I'm just not a modder so I can't make the actual rain drops but this info might help you out

Sincerely,

Viper

The rain effect is done as a particle effect, so I can't do that.

The new rain effect is in the new version of ArmA Effects.

And its wonderful! The sheets of rain really make you feel miserable being out in such bad weather. Too bad about interior rain, but it is exponentially better than vanilla ArmA rain.

Thanks to Symbiot, and thanks to Matt for putting it in his essential addon.

And its wonderful! The sheets of rain really make you feel miserable being out in such bad weather. Too bad about interior rain, but it is exponentially better than vanilla ArmA rain.

Thanks to Symbiot, and thanks to Matt for putting it in his essential addon.

Here, here biggrin_o.gif

Too bad XAM collides with the rain effect and I don't see any rain. All other effects work although. Except the AT backblast too.

Anyways it's getting hard to find a good mix and compatibility of mods.

@XAM, @ArmAEffects, @DMSmokeEffects, @Suppression, @NWD_Ballistics, @NWD_Scopefix, @DurgsVegetationFix, @FDF_Sound, @Proper, @TrueMods, @SIX, @Q11

crazy_o.gif

some of the mods are colliding with each other and preventing their effects....

Hope to see someonw like Thunderbird84, making a TC for AmA, since TB won't do it until ArmA2 is out.