Sign in to follow this  
telejunky

ArmA 2

Quote[/b] ]- Lifelike combat simulation (bullet ballistic & deflection, material penetration, etc.)

- Story driven single player full of twists and surprises

- Resource management, RPG elements

- Advanced dynamic conversation system

- Unique AI combat system

Sold.

My god, I just want to buy ArmA 2 just to walk in forest, just look at those nice autumn themed screens o_o, and a bunny! xmas_o.gifyay.gif

How do people know how much bug-fixing has been done to ArmA since patch 1.08 was released? People assume that BIS has stopped, or will soon stop, fixing bugs in ArmA. And then they come here and burst crying about it.

Tthe biggest problems with ArmA has been caused by incompatibility problems with some hardware combinations and buggy drivers, and wrong operating system used. People who try to use ArmA on an unsupported operating system come here to complain that ArmA is not working well or even doesn't work at all. [original post changed]

Do you really think any of those who you're talking about spent the half of the time needed to read your post just looking at it, not to mention actually reading it? huh.gif

Those parts of your post concerning the ArmA's community should be placed in a locked topic and pinned in the ArmA/General. Really.

@Forrestal: Thanks for info m8! Zazdroszcze ci!  wink_o.gif

Can someone host this video and screens on other servers because i have problems with traffic and dl speeds are very low...

Thanks so much for the info, Forrestal! Greatly appreciated.

It's sad to hear BIS may make ArmA2 their last game, though I'll keep hope for the future that once new technology is out and the engine has been revamped by DirectX 14 or something, that they'll decide to make a retail version of whatever military simulator they're making at the time, for us lowly fans smile_o.gif

Very, very interesting developments re: the videos and new information. The fact that the conversation system has been retained is amazingly good news - it indicates a level of interaction in the soldier sim genre previously unseen. Have you noticed the action listed it as 'Talk to Daniel Lee'? Perhaps we'll get to know our soldiers by name and forge personalities a little more instead of them merely being number 1-12+ in the command menu?

I think you are taking it too far now, its probably just one of the random names which are already in OFP and ArmA. wink_o.gif

(Well, maybe there will be some developed characters, but most will probably just be default soldiers)

Still no mention of dynamic destruction that was one of the key features of Game2 two years ago... sad_o.gif

Im also a little disheartened to still see buildings that very much appear to be from OFP... really hope thoes are just place holders..... confused_o.gif

Thanks for the info and Vids tho smile_o.gif

Here you go Forrestal - here's a few of the more interesting ones thrown on rapidshare. Be warned though - you don't really see anything spectacularly interesting.

http://rapidshare.com/files....vi.html

Landscape video.

A quick jog around some streets.

A glimpse of the elusive 'talk' action.

EDIT: Nice one Spoock - a much better job of it than I!

Very, very interesting developments re: the videos and new information. The fact that the conversation system has been retained is amazingly good news - it indicates a level of interaction in the soldier sim genre previously unseen. Have you noticed the action listed it as 'Talk to Daniel Lee'? Perhaps we'll get to know our soldiers by name and forge personalities a little more instead of them merely being number 1-12+ in the command menu?

I think you are taking it too far now, its probably just one of the random names which are already in OFP and ArmA. wink_o.gif

(Well, maybe there will be some developed characters, but most will probably just be default soldiers)

Ah yes, good point. I do think, however, that even if it was as basic as this, then we'd still feel a little bit more connected to the characters than we do already. Think about ES:Oblivion, where all that separates a lot of characters is merely their name - yet you remember who they are. If we were to ask our MGer a question, or merely give him an order, and we know him as 'Daniel', then when he dies we'll know it was him and not just another grunt/AI.

The foundation of having any RPG element in any game is that of building character. Most FPS/RPG hybrids base their RPG elements around skill accumulation but also dialogue options and character building (in fact, that is pretty much all that separates Deus Ex, for example, from another FPS). A greater degree of non-linearity would help immeasurably in making ArmA2 something revolutionary.

nice vids. when i see that, i'm really happy, that BIS work on Arma2. in my opinion, Arma was a strategic error.

but if this is true, this is really sad to imagine a world without the BIS games. maybe they could sell the engine like for the unreal engine.

smile_o.gif

I'm curious about their community support if they'll leave the gaming industry.

From that what Maruk told me its almost guaranteed that ArmA 2 will be released to Xbox 360. Not for PS3 because of difference betwene these two platforms.

The more I think about it... this kinda bothers me. Becuae if they plan to just port the PC version to the 360 (not saying there going to, but IF they do) ... there is always a risk that features with be cut from the overall game just so it will run smooth on the 360. Not trying to start a consol war here at all, but its a well known fact that a good PC right now, is more advanced in technology and capable of alot more then current gen systems. And by later next year, the 360 will be really outdated when compared with a high end PC. Several PC games have sufferd at the hands of their 360 counter part.... Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion being probly the biggest one.

I just hope the development is split... so that they work on both versions seprately and the PC version dosn't suffer and major features lost because of the 360 version.

It's good to know that all of the features we were promissed years ago will still be available.

OT: Yeah, sorry for my slow respons, I was interrupted. But now it seems it's already uploaded now.

Another vote to BIS for: Please support ArmA 1 at the very least with more patches!!  I spent months developing a mission for it with ofpec.com's help and I won't build another mission if I think no one will play ArmA 1 in a year or two.

ArmA 2 will probably be great, but the fan base will be destroyed for sure if its released within 2 years of ArmA 1.  Simple business decision.[/i]

From that what Maruk told me its almost guaranteed that ArmA 2 will be released to Xbox 360. Not for PS3 because of difference betwene these two platforms.

The more I think about it... this kinda bothers me. Becuae if they plan to just port the PC version to the 360 (not saying there going to, but IF they do) ... there is always a risk that features with be cut from the overall game just so it will run smooth on the 360. Not trying to start a consol war here at all, but its a well known fact that a good PC right now, is more advanced in technology and capable of alot more then current gen systems. And by later next year, the 360 will be really outdated when compared with a high end PC. Several PC games have sufferd at the hands of their 360 counter part.... Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion being probly the biggest one.

I just hope the development is split... so that they work on both versions seprately and the PC version dosn't suffer and major features lost because of the 360 version.

OFP: E isn't dumbed down at all, so ArmA2 won't be either. BTW I don't think that Oblivion's box version is crappier than the one for PC, as an official IGN recommended it over the PC as it's smoother. Plus an Xbox 360 runs everything pretty smoothly. I'll surely buy an X360 version. The controls are the only minus, but playing with a controller is still better than struggling with 20-25 FPS on my poopie PC.

Another vote to BIS for: Please support ArmA 1 at the very least with more patches!! I spent months developing a mission for it with ofpec.com's help and I won't build another mission if I think no one will play ArmA 1 in a year or two.

ArmA 2 will probably be great, but the fan base will be destroyed for sure if its released within 2 years of ArmA 1. Simple business decision.[/i]

Arma is still being supported.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=67220

OFP: E isn't dumbed down at all, so ArmA2 won't be either. BTW I don't think that Oblivion's box version is crappier than the one for PC, as an official IGN recommended it over the PC as it's smoother. Plus an Xbox 360 runs everything pretty smoothly. I'll surely buy an X360 version. The controls are the only minus, but playing with a controller is still better than struggling with 20-25 FPS on my poopie PC.

Thats very false logic... Just because Flashpoint ran fine on the old Xbox (after a very long development period btw) dosn't mean anything. Diffrent games, diffrent technology, diffrent time. Im not a game developer, and I don't know how fesable it would be to port ArmA2 to a 360 as is but I do know Arma2 is NOT every other Xbox 360 game... so just becuase most games for the 360 out now run find, dosn't mean every single game in the world would run just dandy on a 360.

My original point was, Flashpoint for Xbox was an after thought, so the original Flashpoint was not built with the Xbox in mind, which is why the devs had to spend lengty amounts of time optimize it to work on the Xbox. When it comes to ArmA2, its not beyond the scope of possibility, that things might be left out of the game, and features changed/cut to prevent a long optomizing period. For example... lets just say, (hypatheticly of course since we have no info on this feature at all) dynamic destruction was planned (as we know it was), and fesable... on a PC. But would not fly on a 360. Perhaps the reason it seemed to be missing from the game now, is becuase to save the time of makeing a diffrent system for the 360 version... the feature was simply cut all together. Thats just an example of course, and not based on anything. In the end I just hope nothing in the game suffers or is removed to make the 360 version possible/easier to develop.

And as for Oblivion... as a dedicated Elder Scrolls fan, I will tell you the PC version suffered terribly at the hands of the 360 version (Tho it DOES look better on a good PC and runs just fine). It was more or less ported from the 360 version, and was not built or optimized for the PC. So much more could have been done with the game had it been a PC only game... but to make it run smooth on a 360, several features that had been previously mentioned by the devs, were slashed from BOTH version of the game.

The name is sullied, and there is no getting around that.

ArmA was more of the same, at least when it concerned OFP. Well, the same doesn't cut it today, and ArmA 2 better include what is considered the "norm" today, else it'll be a massive failure as was ArmA when it concerns sales. And yes, ArmA was a failure in that aspect.

I dare say I hope Arma II does not have the "norm" considered today in terms of graphics. Shiny "wet" ultra bloom and overly done glowing effects? I would hope not, Arma's graphics may not be the best by todays standards but they are in fact more realistic in that not every single thing is a mirror. Even images of Crysis comparison images showed the games graphics were more 'wet' and brighter then the image they were to duplicate.

The problem with Arma was that the community expected a whole new game, that is not what Arma was for, they also set their expectations way too high as if it is their birth right that what they expect to be implimented. Thats fine and all for wish lists but to gripe just because you didn't get what you wanted is to act as that of a spoiled brat. ArmaII seems to be focused more on larger cities and more crowded in that matter rather then also repetitive objects as seen in one of the videos at http://forrestal.info/galeria/gc/

Now I'm not saying Arma doesn't have its own fair problems that OFP didn't have, aircraft being stuck in a 40degree angle while trying to gain altitude and gaining none to alittle at full speed, occurs sometimes. Rudder authority highly limited, but supposedly that will be fixed in 1.09 so that arguement is not valid till release of the patch.

Another fine example would be the helicopter flight model, changed thrice and the community just cannot be pleased with it most of the time. Everyone has wanted the OFP flight model, why? Exactly how do they see that as more accurate? Helicopters could not perform maneuvers nor were they are controllable, a helicopter in OFP was nothing more then a hovering and flying car, all you could do was turn as far as maneuvered were concerned. Oh sure you could do a 360 barrel roll by pointing the nose at the ground and twisting fast but usually that would result in a smack into the terrain.

Terrain, the community wanted better terrain, Arma has that, more rolling terrain and more 'lively'. And yet there is much complaining, ArmaII seems to have even more complex terrain, I wouldn't be suprised if others cried out against it.

What I would be worried about most is physics but they stated they will be enhancing that, heavy speculation at this point will do more bad then good. That is what happened to Arma, people became too expectant, BIS never promised all things requested would be in but boy did they get upset regardless.

Speculate all you want, wish all you want, request all that you may desire, it doesn't mean it will be implimented, take it in stride, don't throw a fit for it. I am not saying everyone did this, those that did know whom they are.

I'm sure I'll receive some if not alot of flak for this post.

Thanks Forrestal, the images you provided along with video were rather helpful in seeing some things in ArmaII such as the more lively terrain, above and below as well as the town. Were you by chance able to maneuver much around the town to get a feel for its size or were you restricted in that sense?

The grass is really visually impressive.

Maybe Bis want to give us the best they can do before leaving the market. By the way, if this statement is true, i'd love bis/bia make a kind of vbs light that would not need a lot of work and would make bis and simu fans happy. *naive dream over* whistle.gif

we can also notice that the shadow inside the houses are fixed..