Sign in to follow this  
pong2cs

ArmA 2

Well it's official, wonder why the forum name hasn't been changed yet ?

On the subject, it makes sense now with Armed Assault, seeing as they can now continue that franchise instead of trying to keep the Flashpoint name.

Though I have to say, the pictures look somewhat different compared to the "Game 2" pictures we saw a while back showcasing the (O)V-22 and Bell 512 (I think) during some desert action.

My only concern is that Arma's name is slightly damaged

Umm yeah i agree with pong2cs this game looks more like arma then the original old pics shown before arma was made public confused_o.gif .

Still as long as BIS deliver on what they said about the gameplay mechanics then and include a PROPER campaign this time i'll be happy. Graphics will only take you so far the rest is all dependent on the gameplay.

It basically looks like ArmA with more shadows. I know ArmA looked like Flashpoint Elite when they first showed it off and that this will improve, but lets look critically at the whole for a moment.

ArmA really is nothing overly new compared to Flashpoint and that's already soured the experience for a lot of players. Clunky systems, bugs, etc are still huge problems for ArmA, yet the sequel's already been announced and it looks identical to the product we already have. I know that ArmA was always meant to be the "in between" product, but one look at those screenshots makes it instantly clear that they've scrapped a lot of their original work and this is a "start-again" game based off ArmA.

Considering the already mentioned problems and general bad feeling surrounding the ArmA name, announcing a sequel (no longer a brand new Game 2, but an actual ArmA sequel) so soon that happens to look identical to the current incomplete game (general widespread opinion, no need to take this up with me personally) probably isn't going to stir up excitement or praise. More likely there's going to be a backlash of resentment and questions about when the current game's going to be fixed, whether ArmA's being abandoned, whether people have been "tricked" into being paying testers, and so on and so forth.

OFP lasted for almost 6 years before ArmA came along, but ArmA's already in trouble player-wise and officially announcing a successor less than a year after release (not to mention hot on the heels of the uninspiring expansion) sounds painfully similar to Infinity Ward when they tried to wipe their hands of the abysmal Call of Duty 2.

I'm hopeful, but I honestly don't expect the previously announced Game 2 features to still be part of the development plan. That said, if they just fixed the niggling issues like improving the physics, the AI, making the movement less laggy and clunky (I have no problem with momentum, but having your prone command ignored for a full 2 seconds before anything happens is just not on), etc, I'd be over the moon. Fact is though, it's probably going to take more than a few fixes that should have been part of ArmA (in patches at the very least) to convince everyone else that it's a better investment than OFP 2. And believe me, I have no interest in buying the game if there's not going to be anyone else to play against. The online situation's bleak enough as it is now.

I know I sound negative but I really do want to see ArmA 2 do well. Fact is though that the handling of ArmA hasn't exactly been stellar. I understand the situation BIS was in leading up to release, but most people don't and that's severely damaged BIS' reputation.

PsYcho you hit the nail on the head! That was just what i was thinking. It's way to soon to be telling us about a sequel..! I am trying to get a mod going with Arma still ... What is the point now? All this hard work all the mod teams hard work they are doing is going to be for nothing if there is any players left to even see it.  I say whoever is in charge is kinda killing the game I respected BI till now. I see a pattern just like EA did with battlefield 2 and coming out with 2142 befor really fixing the games bugs coming out with expansion and for the mostpart giving up on the game alltogether  =\  

Ya i said it!                                                                 Like PsYcHo ChicKeN said i feel like a

Quote[/b] ]More likely there's going to be a backlash of resentment and questions about when the current game's going to be fixed, whether ArmA's being abandoned, whether people have been "tricked" into being paying testers, and so on and so forth.

That is how i feel

well to be honest the announcement of ArmA 2 so soon is really shocking. But i dont think that this means that ArmA is being abandoned or the moders wasted their time because the moding tools are now released on the same day so what kind of massage does that send? they are probably saying that yes a new game is coming but not any time soon so instead of waiting you can mod the current game and see if you can make it better (and play with the expansion). Needless to say that the current release date of 2008 is highly doubtful at least not for all of the world.

About the graphics I personally see nothing wrong with the current ArmA graphics and I really dont mind if they keep the current graphic level seen in the picture in the final game (it would be neat if current systems that run ArmA reasonably would be able to run the final game). Complaints about ArmA graphics usually come from lame consol games reviewing websites who usually say something like "the graphical level is no where near the other competitors" and the competition being what? funny FPS trying to pretend it is semi-realistic? no thanks I like the graphics the way they are.

I completlyl agree with PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN

Yeah why make mods when by the time they are half complete a hole new game will have been released so whats the point in making it. ??

Everyone may as well leave ArmA for the rest of the year and come back later, play other games in the mean time like crysis demo and such... wink_o.gif

They Should Fix and Improve ArmA for a long time to come. ArmA has just been one big shambles imho.

Although they say a seporite team is working on arma 2 it just looks like arma so i am sure the original team will also be working on it too.

Although they say a seporite team is working on arma 2 it just looks like arma so i am sure the original team will also be working on it too.

Wouldnt it make more sence that if the whole team worked on it they would have made alot more progress in less time?  icon_rolleyes.gif

All we see are new models and a new island, which makes sence because the modellers and island makers have nothing to fix in arma1.

would there really be a new set of tools for Arma II if its, heaven forbid, released next year

would there really be a new set of tools for Arma II if its, heaven forbid, released next year

Yeah, no one has asked that... I mean it took em nearly a year to release the tools for ArmA, and imho thats what killed part of it...

Yeah, no one has asked that... I mean it took em nearly a year to release the tools for ArmA, and imho thats what killed part of it...

It took pretty much the same amout of time as the release for the OFP tools. (Actually sooner) and OFP certainly wasn't "killed" by it...

Where the hell does this idea that tools need to be avialable on release come from anyway?

Please use this topic instead for further ArmA 2 discussion after I moved it over ere, thanks. smile_o.gif