Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

Tutorial for Visitor3 ?

Hmm, I've spent several hours trying to get the terrain arrow/ object selection marker thing to appear, without success. I've pbo-ed all ArmA content, tried many variations of addons.txt files in many different locations, all without success sad_o.gif

I have txt file on the root of my P:\, content is as mentioned. It may as well can be a glitch in release candidate. I will try to work it out.

Quote[/b] ]Oh and is there and easier way to navigate across the terrain in buldozer instead of shoving my mouse endless times forward... crazy_o.gif

press f1 whilst in buldozer and set controls for movement.

also default view is very slow use the - on numb pad to zoom out some and it travels faster .

i have same as you opteryx but now i have converted all my png to paa when i load up bulldozer its crashing . i have no errors all my rvmats ares till text files ,must i now save them in eliteness to propper rvmats or something ?

I hope you didn't convert ALL your PNGs, just the cut up Satellite/Mask ones in Layers.

Also Rvmats shouldn't be saved as txt when importing the Sat/Mask (I think..).

Quote[/b] ]I hope didn't convert ALL your PNGs, just the cut up Satellite/Mask ones in Layers.

yeh just m,y layer png`s to paa

Quote[/b] ]Also Rvmats shouldn't be saved as txt when importing the Sat/Mask (I think..).

hmm i dont think i can alter the inside using uedit if i save as binary ?

well i will try anyway

--------- -reserved---------

Nah, if I were you I'd save myself the trouble and just re-import, save rvmat as binary and convert PNGs to PAA.

worked like a charm cheers.

when it says in tute only 4 types of surface ? to each square what defines the square ,the size of the terrain grid or something else ?

I am still getting this when trying the map ingame:

feilji2.jpg

And there's no textures on the ground..

i had that and just made a pbo of the layer folder on its own and stuck it in my @ folder for a workaround .

i think this file path thing is a bit more complicated than it looks lol.

i tried the bissample map and thats looking for paa files in the folder that arent there. thats either my fault on how i have set up visitor or there are png files where paa should be in the sample.

I am still getting this when trying the map ingame:

And there's no textures on the ground..

Did you move textures to other folder than where they were created during importing? That might cause it... At least with me.

Have to agree. Texture folders and other messing with textures is giving hard time. My current map keeps causing CTD constantly...

Possible reasons:

-Maybe there is texture mess somewhere. Sometimes some square's texture goes thru color patterns from white to what it should be. I've been tweaking .RVMATs quite a bit As i've tried bit too innovative ways to fix it. So long no success. Funny is that whole satelite-picture is just one-shade green same goes for mask-layer which is just grass. So taxture structure shouldn't be too complicated tounge2.gif

-Or then my object (tree) denstity is too high (dense, untouched-by-human-hand, young forest, plus bushes covered areas plus tall pineforest) and as map is mostly flat so there might be too much things to draw. About 70% of map (which is small) is covered with much more dense forest than BIS has used in Sahrani.

Also problem is that ArmA likes to white textures when distance is longer. But i want soil to look very dark, so result is that there dark area at close-range, then ArmA draws lighter area to medium-range and then again dark area to long-range... Looks bit goofy. biggrin_o.gif

As I've said, If you want to rename all you PNGs to PAA, you need to edit every rmvat in you data directory to refer to the PAA files rather than the PNGs. A decent text editor can to this in a couple of seconds.

This step should probably not be part of the normal workflow, it should only be done to create a PBO to run the island in ArmA.

As for the folder issues, I posted every relavent detail for a working island I created, it's back a few pages now. Or better yet download the official sample map, download link is in the "Visitor3" topic.

Hii, Im a total flippin nube to this and Cannot even import the damn satellite and Mask from the sample map (dont have a config or something)

I was trying to learn how to use Visitor (with the new tut) as im very interested in map making, and ive certainly got the time...

However Im afrad I have gotten stuck...

I was following the tut, got the basic terrain imported, but got stuck at the texture phase. How in the hell do you guys texture these puppies? Do you really have to goi in and paint 3 different maps (one with colors for terrain, One for high detail, and basic sat?) ? This seems uberly time consuming, and when mixed for the need to code and create configs, the lack of extremely noob-friendly tutorials, and my extreme frustration and realization that Ill probably never be able to do this in my life (Even though people always say if you want to do something, and you work hard toward it, you can accomplish anything) then it makes this seem impossible....

I think im gonna go have a nervous breakdown and shed some tears in the corner, maybe end my life... :/

Goodbye cruel world...

(ps, i still have hope that someday someone will release a very simple example package including a tutorial with step by step instructions and thorough explanations. I also have hope that someday my dream of becomming a map-maker can become a reality. Sometimes I really envy you guys who started out back in Ofp and kind of know how things work, sometimes I feel a bit depressed that in order to get a cool model (Im straying from map-makin a bit here, and yes... Im using parentheseis inside of parentheseis, here have some more (!wink_o.gif ) you need to be able to write and code a big config, sometimes with scripts (Page-long scripts that I have no clue how to make) and now, with the map-making, I feel like I have really lost it. But I wont give up, I shall press on and perhaps someday I will be amongst you guys here on the forums, comming with my minor problems, working out kinks in my own maps or map.. But until then, I suppose there is nothing I can do but wait and hold my head high. Maybe Im just making this into a big thing, and its not really all that hard, maybe it just takes a little bit of time and then it becomes as simple as breathing (save a little challenges)... Good luck to all of you fine lady's and gentlemen out there who actually know what they are doing. I applaud you, and you should most definetely think highly of yourselves for your amazing skills. )

(Still in Parentheses)

(A struggling Modder,

-Blake)

Yes, you need to create 2 huge images :

- the satellite map

- the layer mask

You also need 3 detail textures for each terrain type:

- _detail_co (detail texture colours)

- _detail_nohq (detail normal map)

- _mco (multipication, multiplied with sat map at closer range to add detail)

How to do it?

Well, it's very easy to simply re-use the BI textures for the detail textures on your island. But, the satellite mask will need to be manually created for each island. This is how I intend on doing it, and I believe BI used a similar method to create their maps (repeating textures can be seen on rahmadi, ~620x620). Of course there are many other possibilities smile_o.gif

- Rather than literally painting the whole map in one go, create large (say 4096x4096) tiled texture for each terrain type (eg, grass, sand, grey gravel, forest, dirt). This is a skill in itself, but I honestly found it suprisingly easy to do, starting with some digital photos I took).

- Tile each of these in individual layers (photoshop) to cover the whole satellite map image.

- Import a correctly scaled image of contours and all terrain objects, sourced from either ArmA (topography cheat) or V3 (export), use this as a template to paint over.

- Use layer masks (photoshop terminology, not BI) to paint your textures onto the satellite map as appropriate.

- Use the same layer masks (photoshop) to create your layer mask (BI), changing the RGB chanel data for each layer (photoshop) to a suitable single colour as per your layer legend. Some mask (photoshop) simplification may be needed to reduce blending (so that each pixel of layer mask contains only one terrain type) for improved performance.

I hope this makes some sense, it allows you to make a simple satellite map for any island quite quickly once you have created your terrain type textures.

To improve you satellite map, you need to create "shadows" of all significant objects you place on your terrain. Eg, roads and buildings should be painted on the satellite/layer map, trees and bushes should have some darkening of the satellite map underneath them. This step will take a long time, but should create the best in game result.

Wow, that has made the most sense of anything Ive read on the subject so far...

granted there are questions still in my mind on the subject, but Ill be sure to keep everything you said in mind for when a noobtorial comes out. Thankyou for trying to help fasad :]

Quote[/b] ]...i still have hope that someday someone will release a very simple example package...

Chip360, did you try sample Rahmadi project? The tutorial we made is a bit useless without it.

Quote[/b] ]Yes, you need to create 2 huge images: ...

You will also need file layers.cfg to successfuly import these images. This file tells what detailed surface textures will be used for particular colour in surface mask.

do the sat and mask images really need to be that huge? I tried doing a mere 512x512 version and then put in 10 in that box ya know (...) which equalled a 5120 map. It worked fine in the editor.

Before I was doing 5120x5120 images, which can be rather unweildy. So basically, if you can do it smaller, why bother doing a huge map (except to get more detail in, perhaps)?

Didn't try it out in the game tho...

Have to agree. Texture folders and other messing with textures is giving hard time. My current map keeps causing CTD constantly...

Possible reasons:

-Maybe there is texture mess somewhere. Sometimes some square's texture goes thru color patterns from white to what it should be. I've been tweaking .RVMATs quite a bit As i've tried bit too innovative ways to fix it. So long no success. Funny is that whole satelite-picture is just one-shade green same goes for mask-layer which is just grass. So taxture structure shouldn't be too complicated tounge2.gif

-Or then my object (tree) denstity is too high (dense, untouched-by-human-hand, young forest, plus bushes covered areas plus tall pineforest) and as map is mostly flat so there might be too much things to draw. About 70% of map (which is small) is covered with much more dense forest than BIS has used in Sahrani.

Yup. Textures were the reason for it. I tried costomize them on my own.

And i made bad mistake... I used window's Paint and not Photoshop (or similar) to make layer mask and my one-color "satelite" photo biggrin_o.gif (ofcourse most readers are now seeing me as a dumpass... Which is okay)

Map works now xmas_o.gif

Okay more problems......

I've pbo packed my map again (Data folder, config.cpp, intro.wrp and SampleMap.hpp) and now I get this error:

errorhz3.png

I've tried removing the cpp and hpp and replaced them with the default Rahmadi config.bin, no luck there either.

Is there some part of the WIKI I've overlooked that talks about how to make the config.bin? The error seems to be related to the runway as I understand it.

let the runway entry with coordinates in sample config.cpp or when u use another config than copy ils part from sample. you can change them later when you make your own airport.

it must be an airport entry (ils) inside the config in Arma i think

if you delete this entry you got this error (you can ignore it)

if you delete the coordinates inside the entry you will get other error (ignorable too)

Quote[/b] ]ilsPosition[] ={2545,3000};

ilsDirection[] ={0,0.08,1};

ilsTaxiIn[]= {2495,2725, 2495,2850, 2508,2860, 2508,3000, 2520,3010, 2545,3000};

ilsTaxiOff[]= {2545,2445,2520,2425,2495,2445,2495,2725};

drawTaxiway=false;

let the runway entry with coordinates in sample config.cpp or when u use another config than copy ils part from sample. you can change them later when you make your own airport.

What do you mean by this?

it must be an airport entry (ils) inside the config in Arma i think

Okay.

if you delete this entry you got this error (you can ignore it)

No I can't ignore it because I can't open the map ingame.

if you delete the coordinates inside the entry you will get other error (ignorable too)

No I've tried that and I get the same error.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">ilsPosition[] ={2545,3000};

ilsTaxiIn[]= {2495,2725, 2495,2850, 2508,2860, 2508,3000, 2520,3010, 2545,3000};

drawTaxiway=false;

The config.cpp that's generated when I export world from V3 doesn't even have that part, I think it used to so maybe I've deleted some hidden marker on the runway.

Sorry, my English is so bad crazy_o.gif

You should take config.cpp from BI Sample Island

Quote[/b] ]#define TEast 0

#define TWest 1

#define TGuerrila 2

#define TCivilian 3

#define TSideUnknown 4

#define true 1

#define false 0

// type scope

#define private 0

#define protected 1

#define public 2

#define ReadAndWrite 0 //! any modifications enabled

#define ReadAndCreate 1 //! only adding new class members is allowed

#define ReadOnly 2 //! no modifications enabled

#define ReadOnlyVerified 3 //! no modifications enabled, CRC test applied

class CfgPatches

{

class SampleMap

{

units[] = {SampleMap};

weapons[] = {};

requiredVersion = 0.10;

requiredAddons[] = {CAData,CABuildings,CAMisc,CAPlants,CARoads,CARocks};

};

};

class DefaultLighting;

class DefaultLighting_CA : DefaultLighting {};

class CfgWorlds

{

class DefaultClutter

{

scaleMin = 0.9;

scaleMax = 1.4;

};

class DefaultWorld;

class CAWorld : DefaultWorld

{

class Grid {};

};

class SampleMap: CAWorld

{

access = ReadOnlyVerified;

worldId=3;

cutscenes[] = {SampleMapIntro1};

description = "Sample Rahmadi Map";

icon="";

worldName=\ca\SampleMap\SampleMap.wrp;

pictureMap = "";

pictureShot = "";

plateFormat="ML$ - #####";

plateLetters="ABCDEGHIKLMNOPRSTVXZ";

longitude = -40; // positive is east

latitude = -40; // positive is south

// landRange is stored directly in WRP file

class Grid : Grid

{

offsetX = 0;

offsetY = -15360;

class Zoom1

{

zoomMax = 0.5;

format = "XY";

formatX = "Aa";

formatY = "00";

stepX = 200;

stepY = 200;

};

class Zoom2

{

zoomMax = 1e30;

format = "XY";

formatX = "A";

formatY = "0";

stepX = 2000;

stepY = 2000;

};

};

startTime = 8:30;

startDate = 01/05/1985;

startWeather = 0.1;

startFog = 0.0;

forecastWeather = 0.3;

forecastFog = 0.0;

seagullPos[] = {1272.842,150.000,14034.962};

//default center position

centerPosition[] = {2500,2500,300};

// landing place - airport

ilsPosition[] ={2545,3000};

drawTaxiway=false;

class ReplaceObjects {};

// sound sources

class Sounds

{

sounds[]={};

};

class Animation

{

vehicles[]={};

}; // default - no film

class Lighting : DefaultLighting {};

clutterGrid = 1.11;//pred demem to bylo 1.5

/// how far clutters are visible

clutterDist = 55;

noDetailDist = 40;

/// where ground detail texture is fully visible (begin fading out)

fullDetailDist = 5;

minTreesInForestSquare = 3;

minRocksInRockSquare = 4;

class clutter

{

class GrassGeneral: DefaultClutter

{

model=ca\plants\clutter_grass_general.p3d;

affectedByWind = 0.3;

swLighting = true; //relativeColor[]={0.8,0.8,0.8,0};

//colorByGround=0.9;

scaleMin = 0.75;

scaleMax = 1.0;

};

class GrassFlowers: GrassGeneral

{

model=ca\plants\clutter_grass_flowers.p3d;

};

class GrassLong: GrassGeneral

{

model=ca\plants\clutter_grass_long.p3d;

affectedByWind = 0.6;

scaleMin = 0.60;

scaleMax = 1.10;

};

class GrassSevenbeauty: GrassGeneral

{

model=ca\plants\clutter_grass_sevenbaeuty.p3d;

affectedByWind = 0.2;

scaleMin = 0.70;

scaleMax = 1.10;

};

class GrassYellow: GrassGeneral

{

model=ca\plants\clutter_grass_yellow.p3d;

affectedByWind = 0.2;

scaleMin = 0.70;

scaleMax = 1.10;

};

class GrassDesert: GrassGeneral

{

model=ca\plants\clutter_grass_desert.p3d;

};

class ForestFern: GrassGeneral

{

model=ca\plants\clutter_forest_fern.p3d;

affectedByWind = 0.1;

scaleMin = 0.90;

scaleMax = 1.10;

};

class SmallRocks: GrassGeneral

{

model=ca\rocks\clutter_stone_small.p3d;

affectedByWind = 0;

scaleMin = 0.90;

scaleMax = 1.10;

};

class FlowersColor: GrassGeneral

{

model=ca\plants\clutter_smetanka.p3d;

};

class FlowersWhite: GrassGeneral

{

model=ca\plants\clutter_white_flower.p3d;

};

class MushroomsHorcak: GrassGeneral

{

model=ca\plants\clutter_horcak.p3d;

affectedByWind = 0;

scaleMin = 0.85;

scaleMax = 1.25;

};

class MushroomsPrasivka: MushroomsHorcak

{

model=ca\plants\clutter_prasivky.p3d;

};

class MushroomsBabka: MushroomsHorcak

{

model=ca\plants\clutter_babka.p3d;

};

class MushroomsMuchomurka: MushroomsHorcak

{

model=ca\plants\clutter_muchomurka.p3d;

};

};

class Subdivision

{

// fractal component of subdivision

// changes are smaller for smaller rectangles

class Fractal

{

// texture roughness factor

rougness = 5;

// max. value for squares containing road

maxRoad = 0.02;

// max. value for squares containing track

maxTrack = 0.50;

// max. coeficient depending on slope

maxSlopeFactor = 0.05;

};

// white noise component of subdivision

// change size is independent on rectangle size

class WhiteNoise

{

rougness = 2;

// max. value for squares containing road

maxRoad = 0.01;

// max. value for squares containing track

maxTrack = 0.05;

// max. coeficient depending on slope

maxSlopeFactor = 0.0025;

};

// do not divide surfaces that are under given limit

minY = -0.0;

// do not divide flat surfaces

minSlope = 0.02;

};

class Ambient

{

/*

Layer cost and species probability use expressions.

Variables which can be used inside of expressions:

rain: rain intensity.

night: 1 during night, 0 during day.

hills: 0 at 150 ASL, 1 at 400 ASL.

windy: 0 at 0 m/s, 1 at 20 m/s.

trees: tree density.

sea: distance to sea.

houses: house density.

meadow: meadow character.

forest: 1 in the forest.

Any values are continuous/interpolated in the range of 0 to 1.

Values they are independent unless notes otherwise

(meaning meadow and forest can be 1 at the same time).

You can observe these values in real-time using:

diag_toggle "ambient"

*/

class BigBirds

{

//Container radius:

//Species are normally spawned at the edges of the circle defined by this radius.

//One exception to this is the initial start of the simulation, where the whole

//circle will be filled.

radius = 300;

//Points allowed for this container:

//Xbox: 1 * (1 - night) * (1 - sea)

cost = "((1 + forest + trees) - ((2 * rain)) - houses) * (1 - night) * (1 - sea)";

//Classname in Species corresponds to type name:

class Species

{

class Hawk

{

probability = 0.2;

cost = 1;

};

};

};

class Birds

{

radius = 170;

//Xbox: (1 - night) * (2 + 8 * sea)

cost = "(1 - night) * ((1 + (3 * sea)) - (2 * rain))";

class Species

{

class Seagull

{

probability = 0.2;

cost = 1;

};

};

};

class BigInsects

{

radius = 20;

//Xbox: 1 * (1 - night) * (1 - rain) * (1 - sea)

cost = "(5 - (2 * houses)) * (1 - night) * (1 - rain) * (1 - sea) * (1 - windy)";

class Species

{

class DragonFly

{

probability = 0.6 - (meadow * 0.5) + (forest * 0.4);

cost = 1;

};

class ButterFly

{

probability = 0.4 + (meadow * 0.5) - (forest * 0.4);

cost = 1;

};

};

};

class BigInsectsAquatic

{

radius = 20;

cost = "(3 * sea) * (1 - night) * (1 - rain) * (1 - windy)";

class Species

{

class DragonFly

{

probability = 1;

cost = 1;

};

};

};

//The wind is blowing various particles around:

class WindClutter

{

radius = 10;

//Xbox: (10 - 5 * rain) * (1 - sea) * (windy factor [0.2, 0.5])

cost = "((20 - 5 * rain) * (3 * (windy factor [0.2, 0.5]))) * (1 - sea)";

class Species

{

class FxWindGrass1 //Dark green grass.

{

probability = "0.4 - 0.2 * hills - 0.2 * trees";

cost = 1;

};

class FxWindGrass2 //Dry grass.

{

probability = "0.4 - 0.2 * hills - 0.2 * trees";

cost = 1;

};

class FxWindRock1 //Dust.

{

probability="0.4 * hills";

cost = 1;

};

class FxWindLeaf1 //Green leaf.

{

probability = "0.2 * trees";

cost = 1;

};

class FxWindLeaf2 //Dry leaf.

{

probability = "0.1 * trees + 0.2";

cost = 1;

};

class FxWindLeaf3 //Green leaf with a dry spot.

{

probability = "0.1 * trees";

cost = 1;

};

};

};

class NoWindClutter

{

//Xbox: 10

radius = 15;

//Xbox: 1 * (1 - rain) * (1 - sea) * (1 - forest) * (1 - houses) * (1 - (windy factor [0.1, 0.2]))

cost = "(20 * (windy factor [0.1, 0.2])) * meadow * (1 - rain) * (1 - sea) * (1 - forest) * (1 - houses)";

class Species

{

class FxWindPollen1

{

probability = 1;

cost = 1;

};

};

};

class SmallInsects

{

radius = 3;

//Xbox: (9 - 5 * hills) * (1 - night) * (1 - rain) * (1 - sea) * (1 - windy)

cost = "(12 - 8 * hills) * (1 - night) * (1 - rain) * (1 - sea) * (1 - windy)";

class Species

{

class HouseFly

{

probability = "deadBody + (1 - deadBody) * (0.5 - forest * 0.1 - meadow * 0.2)";

cost = 1;

};

class HoneyBee

{

probability = "(1 - deadBody) * (0.5 - forest * 0.1 + meadow * 0.2)";

cost = 1;

};

class Mosquito

{

probability = "(1 - deadBody) * (0.2 * forest)";

cost = 1;

};

};

};

class NightInsects

{

radius = 3;

cost = "(9 - 8 * hills) * night * (1 - rain) * (1 - sea) * (1 - windy)";

class Species

{

class Mosquito

{

probability = 1;

cost = 1;

};

};

};

};

class Names

{

#include "SampleMap.hpp"

};

};

};

class CfgWorldList

{

class SampleMap {};

};

class CfgMissions

{

class Cutscenes

{

class SampleMapIntro1

{

directory = "ca\SampleMap\data\scenes\intro.SampleMap";

};

};

};

than u must REPLACE all "SampleMap" entries with "NameOfYourIsland" entries.

this both:

description = "Sample Rahmadi Map";

worldName=\ca\SampleMap\SampleMap.wrp;

with

description = "Name of Your Island";

worldName=\NameOfYourPBO\NameOfYourWRP.wrp; (or wrp directory which you use)

and this one

class SampleMapIntro1

{

directory = "ca\SampleMap\data\scenes\intro.SampleMap";

};

with

class NameOfYourIslandIntro1

{

directory = "WHATEVER";

};

Try this out... Important is that you really Change all SampleMap entries with your Islands Names. I use the same Name for PBO,WRP & Island but u can use different names too.

Quote[/b] ]The config.cpp that's generated when I export world from V3 doesn't even have that part, I think it used to so maybe I've deleted some hidden marker on the runway.

You mean HPP?

It`s not the config... Here u can enter some Names which will be Displayed at the Map in Game. thats all.

Quote[/b] ]...i still have hope that someday someone will release a very simple example package...

Chip360, did you try sample Rahmadi project? The tutorial we made is a bit useless without it.

Quote[/b] ]Yes, you need to create 2 huge images: ...

You will also need file layers.cfg to successfuly import these images. This file tells what detailed surface textures will be used for particular colour in surface mask.

Well yes, I was following the tutorial and I got to the part where you import the "Satellite and Mask", And I ran into trouble because there isnt an included config in the sample island and I dont know how to make one sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]because there isnt an included config in the sample island and I dont know how to make one

its inside the download sample map . BISampleMap\CA\SampleMap\Source\layers.cfg

Quote[/b] ]because there isnt an included config in the sample island and I dont know how to make one

its inside the download sample map . BISampleMap\CA\SampleMap\Source\layers.cfg

Ok, when I tried to add the Mask and Satellite the whole program crashed and said "windows has encountered a problem"  lol, I guess I can blame Vista for that? :P

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Edit: maybe I tried to import the wrong png in the last selection dialog box....

Randomn Edit 2: Do you normally use software like Terragen for the Terrain creation and heightmaps and such? Doesnt this make things a lot easier?

Well, I'm trying to modify my island with Bulldozer.

However, I don't see the famous arrow and box.

I've unpacked UI.pbo and UIFonts.pbo and put the folders into P:\Ca, created the ArmaAddons.txt with class addons[] = and called it in System preferences with -addons="ArmaAddons.txt".

The result is that I can't see the famous selection box and arrow when I press "H" in Buldozer. What's wrong??? huh.gif