Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

Tutorial for Visitor3 ?

sad_o.gif To sad that it's in german. We need a translation now. I think things are going to be very hard before we had a proper documentation !

sad_o.gif To sad that it's in german. We need a translation now. I think things are going to be very hard before we had a proper documentation !

No need to be sad. When you correct all the spelling mistakes and translate it to English, one will see that this is actually a German translation of the English community-wiki manual. wink_o.gif

So no hope to make a map before some guys succeed in making a clear and (BIG) tutorial... huh.gif

For the people that have successfully managed to get an island of some sort into visitor, can someone be kind enough to explain the step by step process of getting started? please smile_o.gif

What program they used to make the terrain (terragen etc..) and how they made it.

How to make a .pbl file, also what should it be called.

How to set the files up so visitor reads them.

Would be really appreciated smile_o.gif

I like a lot of other people are getting really confused with the manual bis have made sad_o.gif

Your better off waiting ,

I am sure there are many people learning like you right now , but the beauty of this community is that there is just as much competition to get the first tutorial out as there is to get the first island out .

I have personally done all that is necessary to create new island and got it in game but i cannot create the nessasary rvmats because there s not any information on how to create grass sand rock rvmats .

Usually someone with a NDA someone like a bia employee cant hold back and tells a friend and then that friend comes here to leak that info.So i reckon by sunday we will have all we need wink_o.gif

Would it of been so hard if BIS actually made a tutorial? They made visitor 3 so im sure they know how it works. Whether Visitor 3 is the release candidate or not. Would a simple tutorial with some examples (maybe a PDF or videos) to get you started be so hard?

Or am I wrong? That BIS made visitor 3 and they don't even know how to use it themselves?

I know you say wait and be patient, but ive been waiting for these tools for ages, and now they finally get released, but I don't have bloody clue how to use them! Because the lack of some decent documentation. Now I have to wait even longer to use visitor! banghead.gif

Hi,

Did anyone succeed on placing roads?

I can place buildings, trees, bushes and roads one-by-one.

But when I want to define a new road type to build a road network, I can't add any road element. Visitor3 says that some named points are missing from the road element. What is this?

I can't add roads too.

I've tried to add a Sattellite Mask, a Layered Mask and a grass texture, but when I use Bulldozer my Island is still without the texture.

I think i'll wait for better documentation.  sad_o.gif

Would it of been so hard if BIS actually made a tutorial? They made visitor 3 so im sure they know how it works. Whether Visitor 3 is the release candidate or not. Would a simple tutorial with some examples (maybe a PDF or videos) to get you started be so hard?

Or am I wrong? That BIS made visitor 3 and they don't even know how to use it themselves?

I know you say wait and be patient, but ive been waiting for these tools for ages, and now they finally get released, but I don't have bloody clue how to use them! Because the lack of some decent documentation. Now I have to wait even longer to use visitor! banghead.gif

there has been 3 new tutorials already linked in this thread. maybe 6 in all visitor threads. the point is ,it will take possibly 3-4 months to make an island and if you do not wait you will have to start over and over everytime a new process is found or new tute comes out. if you cannot get the basics in now ,you really should wait because after the already basic process that wiki describes is done it gets 1000 times more laborious and finite in every way.

again if you cant follow the wiki i would suggest you wait .

and this aint being snobby ot elitist ,because i am also gonna wait.

With current tutorials you can make your own Islands. It took me also some time to get things going, especially importing the satellite map without crashing V3/or having totally black terrain. smile_o.gif

With current tutorials you can make your own Islands. It took me also some time to get things going, especially importing the satellite map without crashing V3/or having totally black terrain. smile_o.gif

Ok, then please let me know, how to add road elements to road networks. When i try to add a straight/curve/end element (e.g. sil25 or so) it says that it is not a road element, some points are missing...

Ok, then please let me know, how to add road elements to road networks. When i try to add a straight/curve/end element (e.g. sil25 or so) it says that it is not a road element, some points are missing...

Strange, which road piece are you trying to add exactly to the road profile?

edit: Hmm i'm having it too now. I can add custom MLOD roads fine here but not the ones from roads.pbo from ArmA. Could be a bug.

I'm probably an idiot for not understanding, but could somebody please be so kind to explain to me the whole satellite/mask import process?

I've been reading the WIKI since the V3 release and I've tried everything, but I just can't get my head around it.

There are supposed to be two configs, how should they look like? What should they be called? Where do they go? Do I need to extract some additional textures from a default island besides making a satellite and mask texture? Where do they go?

Anything else important would be deeply appreciated too.

If only someone would be nice enough to smack this into my head I could finally start making some progress, please I implore you, HELP ME! confused_o.gif

I have them in following setup:

P:\ca\buildings

P:\ca\plants

P:\ca\roads

etc etc..

so what are you saying? your supposed to de pbo the contents of your addons folder to the p drive?

I have them in following setup:

P:\ca\buildings

P:\ca\plants

P:\ca\roads

etc etc..

so what are you saying? your supposed to de pbo the contents of your addons folder to the p drive?

Yepp! but only the ones you gonna end up using!

Say roads/plants etc

i have mine de pbo'd in my ducuments\armawork

\ca\roads

\ca\rocks

\ca\plants

\ca\buildings

ect

and they are automatically mirror'd in your p: drive

BiGGiBs

I'm trying to import a satellite/layer mask. To do so I need a config describing the terrain types, including an rvmat for each detail surface texture. Does anybody know where ArmA stores these for Sahrani? I can't find any terrain detail texture rvmats anywhere sad_o.gif

edit: Using a layer config without a material rvmat seems to work, but Visitor3 crashes half way through, presumably which is when it starts importing the layer mask.

I'm trying to import a satellite/layer mask. To do so I need a config describing the terrain types, including an rvmat for each detail surface texture. Does anybody know where ArmA stores these for Sahrani? I can't find any terrain detail texture rvmats anywhere sad_o.gif

edit: Using a layer config without a material rvmat seems to work, but Visitor3 crashes half way through, presumably which is when it starts importing the layer mask.

Yup exactly same thing here. confused_o.gif

-edit-

fasad

If you figure this out I beg of you to share this info with us in detail, for now I've partially given up for a few days, sitting hours in front a PC trying every possibility my feeble brain can think of just to see no result isn't very appealing.

Okay, I've been trying to remove the cause of errors logged to "Visitor3.exe.log".

I've created a rvmat that creates no warnings before v3 crashes, although having no knowledge about how rvmats should be created, it's probably still not valid.

Quote[/b] ]Unhandled exception.

Applying offset 51d440 to mapfile

Generating minidump please wait.

Quote[/b] ]=====================================================================

== D:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Visitor 3\Visitor3.exe

=====================================================================

Exe version: Wed Aug 22 20:26:55 2007

=======================================================

Date: 08/25/07 Time: 16:53:51

-------------------------------------------------------

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 004A5FBD

Version 0.00.0

Fault address: 004A5FBD 01:000A4FBD D:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Visitor 3\Visitor3.exe

Prev. code bytes: CC CC CC 56 33 F6 8B 07 8B 50 50 56 8B CF FF D2

Fault code bytes: 8B 10 8B C8 8B 42 1C FF D0 89 04 B3 83 C6 01 83

Registers:

EAX:00000000 EBX:0012DA9C

ECX:04F2B5A8 EDX:004BF8C0

ESI:00000000 EDI:04F2B5A8

CS:EIP:001B:004A5FBD

SS:ESP:0023:0012DA5C EBP:0012DD54

DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000

Flags:00010246

=======================================================

Call stack:

Stack 0012DA5C 0016DA5C

mapfile: D:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Visitor 3\Visitor3.map (empty 1)

note: Minidump has been generated into the file D:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Visitor 3\Visitor3.mdmp

Has anyone found this yet ?

Quote[/b] ]Conversion of EMF to PNG

There is no way of opening a completed EMF file as big of size as Sahrani. A custom tool was then created for converting EMF to PNG. In the Visitor folder, there is tiny executable named EmfToPng.exe, this tool will do the converting to EMF for you.

cant seem to find the executable in the folder

I had the same problems at start.

Presuming you have correct size of satellite map for your map (using calculator).

You need to have 4 files for import and ground textures used ready in your data folder.

maplegend.png

layers.cfg (defining paths to textures and which one to use using maplegend.png)

satellite.png

mask.png

Perhaps I can give some sample files for standard sized map (like Everon) later.

Thanks BergHoff, a working example would be perfect!