Sign in to follow this  
telejunky

ArmA 2

So, now the tools have come out and QG is supposed to be still v1.08... I must say I have mixed feelings about ArmA II...

The name is fine with me, no big surprise after Codemasters took the OFP license, in spite of ArmA referring to a game which as is is still far from perfect...

It is said that ArmA II is supposed to have an entirely new game engine, but the same was said about ArmA in relationship to OFP... So I guess what they mean by that. It will hopefully be what we wanted ArmA to be in the first place... oh well. At least it was possible to port some things over from OFP to ArmA, I'm wondering how it will be with ArmA II...

If they are going console version for ArmA 2 I wonder if they're going to make it so dumbed down that console players will be able to play vs PC players online... If that be the case then I have only 1 request: Give us the best tools you've got for ArmA and let the community bring ArmA that much further as it already took OFP, which was way beyond anything anybody at BIS could have ever dreamed of happening, me thinks... I just hope more and more patches come out whilst we wait for ArmA 2... Talking about patches and fixing things, I wonder how ArmA 2 will be when ArmA already proved that BIS can break things that worked acceptably well before...

Quote[/b] ]CanadianTerror: US vs Russia....again?  confused_o.gif

Yeah, I'm with you, let's have Kanada fight Kazakhstan!  rofl.gif

J/K... But in a world split between East and West for so long, I think such standard, conventional choices will still haunt us for time to come...

I welcome the news about ArmA 2. A computer game is a relatively cheap entertainment product to buy. I can spend an equal amount of money for example at a go-karting track, and that fun only lasts for so long. Next time I want to do it, I have to pay as much again. A computer game I have at home, it's in my shelf, I can look at it, I can feel it, I can taste it, I can play it, I can mod it.

What I don't welcome is the negative attitude of many people here. I have one advice for you, you either take what comes or you don't. It's as simple as that, really.

So now theres 2 Game 2's? oh this is fun!  biggrin_o.gif

lol nope... Game2 just has a name now, thats all. Game2 and ArmA2 are the same game.

Quote[/b] ]What I don't welcome is the negative attitude of many people here. I have one advice for you, you either take what comes or you don't. It's as simple as that, really.

I agree with you to some point. But I don't think it's that simple. For example, I don't care if the next release of Quake or HL will be screwed up. Just because I didn't like the prequels. But IMO many people who play (or played) OFP, believe that it is a game one of a kind. So they put their faith in BI to produce similar games. So when BI decides to change it's audience (to a more profitable one), those OFP players may feel they lost their only source of games of their liking. Well, who will make an OFP like game if not BI? It's okay by me if there will be ArmA2, even it's crap. I just won't buy it. But it means that there won't be Game2 (I know it's =ArmA2, but I'm referring to the initial vision) which I would surely buy.

Reading the news, I can think of 2 variations:

1) BI was pressed by competition (CM), so they rushed some news, which mostly backfired on them. But they still want to release their initial vision of Game2. I'd greatly prefer this variation, but I fear they ran out of money, which leads me (or us) to the 2nd variation

2)Well, they ran out of money, but they still have an ace in their pockets: the legendary Game2. They'll just make some cash on us, by selling a pathced ArmA as Game2. When I saw the screenshots that was the first thing that came to my mind. If it ain't true, why did they post screenshots? Why didn't they simply say, "We're progressing nicely with Game2 and the promised dynamic gameplay (with all the details that were in some previous post about interacting with people and environment etc.) will be surely included in the game". So when it comes out, they make some cash (on a patched ArmA called The Great Game 2), and become just like most other software houses. I don't say this is the truth, but these are my fears. Not fearing a dumb release (it's happening every day), but losing Game2.

I can understand running out of money, but IMO it just isn't honest fooling around the most dedicated members of this forum.

BTW When a long time ago I read that text about the interactive battlefield in Game2, I was sure that would be my best game for a long time (if released of course). Now I fear it's just abandoned because of money.

If it ain't true, why did they post screenshots? Why didn't they simply say, "We're progressing nicely with Game2 and the promised dynamic gameplay (with all the details that were in some previous post about interacting with people and environment etc.) will be surely included in the game".

Because 99.99999% of the population "DEMANDS" screenshots. A plain text release would have been met with even worse reaction. smile_o.gif

has...

any one happen to notice this trailer?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23841.html

Meh that crap looks rendered CG anyways.

Back on-topic:

Think I'm waiting for ArmA II so I can save up for quad-xeon with 16gb ram so I can learn to edit islands whistle.gif

Nah, joke aside, looks like a really nice game, hopefully it'll basiclly be a optimized ArmA so we can play 100vs100 battles in MP and not lag with monster-machines.

OKAY can someone please clear this for me right now.

ArmA 2 = GAME 2 huh.gif?

Its confused me, and if so i have a small post to make.....

OKAY can someone please clear this for me right now.

ArmA 2 = GAME 2 huh.gif?

Its confused me, and if so i have a small post to make.....

From the first post:

Quote[/b] ]Yeah, Game 2 is now called ArmA 2! read the official News here.

wink_o.gif

I welcome the news about ArmA 2. A computer game is a relatively cheap entertainment product to buy. I can spend an equal amount of money for example at a go-karting track, and that fun only lasts for so long. Next time I want to do it, I have to pay as much again. A computer game I have at home, it's in my shelf, I can look at it, I can feel it, I can taste it, I can play it, I can mod it.

What I don't welcome is the negative attitude of many people here. I have one advice for you, you either take what comes or you don't. It's as simple as that, really.

I agree. I'm optimistic about ArmA 2 and OFP 2. Only when I am shown evidence that gives me cause for concern will I start to fret. The screenshots included with the ArmA 2 release are nothing to get concerned about. The game has every chance of being very different come release.

Something many of us forgot: Good luck BIS, do us proud wink_o.gif

Fecking hell!!! What is going on here!?!? We get ArmA bout a year ago. Just get the tools ( SWEET!!! ) And we are told bout ArmA 2. There is already OFP 2 coming as well. And how long are we going to have to wait for the tools for those games. And my question is: How is the community supposed to flourish like it did with OFP?

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to these games, (But not how much money I have to spend on hardware upgrades.) but if we get these games so close to each other, how is the modding community going to develop and help the parent company continue its sales of its product? Imagine if you discovered OFP now for the first time? Then found ofp info. No more internet, D/L quota reached. Maybe I just miss the genre monopoly OFP had for so many years and the fact that most of the content we use whilst playing it is user made and not by the producing company. Whenever I hear of OFP, I look longingly into space and think of the flexibility of the game, ahhhh. Soooo many options. But hey, I'm part of the target audience of these games and they already have my money, I just hope they release them with some more realistic features like indirect fire and proper Fucking AI helicopter landings to where the user wants them!

But going off topic ( Maybe this should be polled? ) I think that OFP in a cornerstone game in the FPS genre. In my mind, its up there with the good 'ol DOOM for what it did to FPS and me.

Later yall.

I hope everyone remembers that Operation Flashpoint 2 is NOT being made by BIS. It has NOTHING to do with BIS. It's being developed and published by Codemasters. The only link it has is the name, which Codemasters own the rights to, hence using the name and hence the BIS game being Armed Assault. It's very common for publishers to own the name rights of a game as it gives them more power and control over content and the like, much like Microsoft owns the rights to the name Age of Empires even though Ensamble Studios originally made them.

I'm glad to hear that it's in the works. I think if the ArmA --> ArmA2 exporting of addons and such can be ensured to work, most of the "it'll kill/split the modding community" fears will be gone.

I just hope it's computer-friendly, I've said it before, but I know alot of people on here upgraded their stuff to run ArmA, and it'd be a real shame if they have to go out and get all new stuff to run ArmA 2.....

1) OFP2 is completely OT here, it's unrelated FUD from CM. Absolutely irrelevant.

2) Game2 is the code name for the 'trunk', and is the sandbox that new technology is developed and tested in. Always developing, and never shipping.

3) OFP Elite, ArmA, VBS2, ArmA2, VBS2 VTK, are 'branches' off the Game2 trunk. Snapshots in time/tech.

4) PC and consoles means that it would be DX10 based

5) There is nothing to 'see' with DX10. DX10, as with DX6, 7, 8, 9, etc is only programming libraries. Preliminary screenshots are showing content designed for DX9, in a DX10 renderer. As a result, there's a lot of not seeing the forest for the trees. Once the renderer is stabilized, then content that optimally utilizes it can be created and visualized.

6) Looking at the calendar would indicate that ArmA was developed too early to sanely use native DX10. Unfortunately, it got stuck in-between the end of DX9 and the start of DX10 and thus got the worst of both markets. From a business management standpoint, the same reasoning is being used for Supreme Commander. The promised DX10 patch has been shelved, with the next game/sequel being built on DX10.

The amount of work involved, in engine and content, should make it evident that it is not just a Resistance style patchup and enhancements. It's a major rework of substantial portions of the engine, and heavy content creation requirements as well. From a business standpoint, ArmA is in a very annoying position. Better to cut your losses/risks/liabilities and do it better now.

7) I think it's pretty clear now that the market direction is irreversibly moving in the direction of the culture of halo kiddies. Let BIS do whatever they feel like they're going to do, and if you have a problem with it, 'fix' it in your own private un-coordinated mutually exclusive and incompatible mods.

About bloody time.

I'm actually looking forward to ArmA2, and i'll tell you why. It's because ArmA is a load of bollocks, thats why. The sooner we get this new game, the sooner we can forget the crap fest that was ArmA.

And the fact there making it for the consoles adds to my joy. No more PC frustration, even on my quad SLI dual core setup i was having problems playing the game.

I wonder what will happen to the Cold War Rearmed mod. I think it was dead before it got started to be honest.

Now for the negative.

I hope this isn't just an upgraded ArmA. I'm thinking along the lines of OFP made into Elite for the consoles.

I wish they wouldn't show any screenshots of placeholder units. It just looks bad and makes me think this game will be an ArmA sequal. Infact I'm sure this game will be nothing more than a ArmA sequal. Even if this game is released in 2 years it couldn't be that much different from the current ArmA. The story line is f***ing laughable. For the love of god, no more US units please. Do you devs think this is the only way you will sell games in the states, by including US forces. Have some f***ing respect of other nations armies. Have some respect of other fan based countries. Show us, the loyal community some f***ing support for once. I think after the ArmA fiasco we bloody deserve it.

Oh and before i forget, whats with this communist shit. Pre, post i dont give a shit, just leave the commies out of this game. How about an insurgent enemy. Or would the urban enviroment not be a good place for the ArmA2 AI....

Two thumbs up for getting rid of the shit ArmA.

As many thumbs an octopus has, down for the crappy way you handled this shit and the story line. You guys have gotta start thinking out of the box......

I'm finding the general reaction a bit bemusing. I don't think ArmA is perfect and BIS certainly could have done a much better with the product launch IMHO. But... I'm playing it at 1.08 (primarily MP, CTF no less !wink_o.gif and think it's a great game. Clearly I'm out of step with many of the posters here.

The announcement of ArmA 2 is only positive for me. It says that BIS are still committed to and investing in the combat-sim market.

Funny how people get so excised over the issue of having to spend money from time to time on new versions of the game. A typical game is the cost of a night out at the pub - cheap entertainment as far as I am concerned.

Who cares about what units they have in release? Most of the countries units will just be modded in later jeez.

Maybe they're placeholders for the fully destructible units we were promised? I should imagine that getting a moderately playable game in the first instance, to test the fully dynamic nature of the conflict (supposedly) would be first priority. I hope.

EDIT - Actually, I shouldn't say promised. 'Looking forward to' is perhaps more accurate. Still, this is all based on information officially released via previews and interviews so any false hopes should have an equal distribution of blame should they prove unrealised.

I'm finding the general reaction a bit bemusing.  I don't think ArmA is perfect and BIS certainly could have done a much better with the product launch IMHO.  But... I'm playing it at 1.08 (primarily MP, CTF no less  !wink_o.gif and think it's a great game.  Clearly I'm out of step with many of the posters here.  

The announcement of ArmA 2 is only positive for me.  It says that BIS are still committed to and investing in the combat-sim market.  

Funny how people get so excised over the issue of having to spend   money from time to time on new versions of the game.  A typical game is the cost of a night out at the pub - cheap entertainment as far as I am concerned.

Hehe quite true biggrin_o.gif

The day Bis releases the patch/game that nears perfection is the day we will hear small explosions all over the globe from the many individuals with massive misplaced frustration imploding.

Maybe they're placeholders for the fully destructible units we were promised? I should imagine that getting a moderately playable game in the first instance, to test the fully dynamic nature of the conflict (supposedly) would be first priority. I hope.

We were never promised anything at all, however back in 2005 there was some Game2 footage of a building being desctructed dynamically.

Mr Reality

+1 WL and 48h vacation for 4x "shit" in one post. C'mon after 3 years here you should know better.

I have edited my post, prior to your posting, to reflect that fact, although I have to say that any material released into the public domain, and is thusly cited as a sequel and in development, if then lacking said feature, should be regarded with a certain amount of disappointment. I honestly think a lot of anger and frustration could be avoided if developers did not give us the slightest indication as to whether or not certain groundbreaking features are included outside of knowing with 100% certainty that they will make the final cut. I realise that is almost impossible regarding ongoing development but the documentation we have on 'ArmA2', going back for some considerable time now, would perhaps indicate that its unveiling as a playable prototype was perhaps too premature if certain features that formed its demonstration disappear. Such occurances only result in disappointment for the fanbase and frustration for the developer.