Sign in to follow this  
Black Sphere

Road Patrol

ROAD PATROL v1.0 - Single player mission

=============

<span style='color:red'>Edited 10. 10. 2007</span>   (VIT Apc Pack link corrected)

REQUIREMENTS:

===========

- OFP Resistance v1.96

ADDONS:

-----------

- HMMWV Pack v1.0:                       http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.p....23]http

- Hyakushiki Modern US Troops:      rar: http://files.filefront.com/HYK+USs....fo.html                

zip: http://files.filefront.com/Hyk+mod....fo.html

- Laser's US Weapon Pack v3.0:      http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=9813

- RHS Weapon Pack v1.01:             ftp://www.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/RHS_weapons_v1.01.rar

- Marine Assault Pack:            zip : http://www.mtco.com/games/downloads/usmc/MarineAssaultPack.zip

rar : http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=5544

- VIT Apc Pack V1.3:                      http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=6192

- Mikero's Editor Update:                http://andrew.nf/OFP/Addons/MikerosEditorupdate102V3.05.zip

- BN880's tracers (1.24):                http://files.filefront.com/bn+tracers1+24zip/;4883151;/fileinfo.html

- JAM 3_fixed6:                              http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=9369

- ECP Mod:                                    http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=8705

- DMA Animation pack nextGen:      http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/file....n;47628

- OFPEC Blood:                              http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=4102

- Animated Gate v1.0:                    ftp://www.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons/kkb_gate.zip

MISSION FILE:

-----------------

http://files.filefront.com/Road+Patrolzip/;8347341;;/fileinfo.html

(any mirrors are of course welcomed)

INSTALLATION:

-----------------

Place 'Road Patrol.Abel.pbo' file into your 'Missions' folder.

Place the addons into your 'Addons' folder, or even better make a mod folder and place them there.

If you don't know how to make a mod folder check this link:    http://andrew.nf/OFP/BedtimeReading/modfolders.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABOUT THE MISSION:

Short story: there's currently a cease fire between the Russian Army which invaded Malden, and Malden Police and US Army. You play as Malden Policeman and you're part of motorised patrol which patrols the main road on from the allied forces controlled territory during the night cerfue.

The mission should be part of a huge campaign (40-50 missions), which I planned and started(and stop) to make in 2006.

This mission would split the campaign into two separate continuings.

Mission have two scenarios and three sub-scenarios, and some randomized features.

Mission's duration depends from some in-mission factors. 1+ hour.

Mission's difficulty can be characterized as realistical - hard.

The soldier's skills and behaviour are realistical; the enemy can sneak in and perform a surprise attack, they can perform a normal (frontal) attack, they can retreat in panic if they loose the initiative... There were also a feature which allowed them to encircle the position and then to attack from all directions simultaneously, or to send a Special Forces first to soften the defensive positions before the main attack... but I removed such and some other features because they were too 'realistical' (read too hard).

ISSUES OR BUGS:

There're no issues that I'm awared off, and I think all bugs are erradicated, thou there were no external bata testing. If you find any bug or some other issue please do report it. smile_o.gif

What else? Ah yes, sadly there's no voice acting in the mission. If you're up to do some voice acting for me (american soldiers - it's not much of it - all in all 30-35 sentences for 4 characters, there's also a main character (Malden Police)), please drop me a PM. smile_o.gif

Here're few pictures:

rp_01-1.jpg

rp_02.jpg

rp_03.jpg

rp_04.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun!

It sounds interesting but the big amount of addons prevents me from downloading it.

It sounds interesting but the big amount of addons prevents me from downloading it.

How come? I see all that enthusiasm in those addon sections here and elsewhare when new addons are planned and made and all are dl-ing them, but when it comes to dl them with/because of a mission it always becomes a 'problem'.

I used those addons because I thouth all have them, thery're like a golden standard for an ofp player.

Well, just give it a try mate, if not for a mission, then becuse of those addons; they're all very good and most of them are like a 'must have'. wink_o.gif

i will have a look at it, but is ECP a real requirement or is it optional

i will have a look at it, but is ECP a real requirement or is it optional

Well, I would say it's a 'real requirement'. Of course you can play a mission without ECP but I'm positive it wouldn't be (maybe even played) as with ECP. For instance, there was a feature that sometimes when the enemy has sneaked in they started to throw hand grenades on allied positions, so there were a rain of hand grenades out of the darkness. Without ECP (timed grenades effect) it was very different, much more lethal thing. But it was too lethal anyway, despite I maded that attacked soldiers run for cover they were of course almost always decimated. For me it was great and fun and very cool feature, but I estimated it would be too hard for the 'outside player', so I removed it.

How come? I see all that enthusiasm in those addon sections here and elsewhare when new addons are planned and made and all are dl-ing them, but when it comes to dl them with/because of a mission it always becomes a 'problem'.

I've never done that, I don't want to download loads of single addon files just to have them and maybe being able to use them in the very unlikely case anyone really makes a mission using exactly the addons I've downloades once.

I don't like missions that use a lot of single addons, I prefer using addon packs and complete mods (WGL, FDF).

I just looked through your addon list and it is somewhere inbetween, you mostly use addon packs which is okay.

You should clarify on the animations pack, I wonder if this is a requirement to play the mission huh.gif

Or anyway just edit the first post so that everyone can see which addons are really necessary to play your mission and which of them are "enhancements" for the gameplay of the mission, please.

I've never done that, I don't want to download loads of single addon files just to have them and maybe being able to use them in the very unlikely case anyone really makes a mission using exactly the addons I've downloades once.

I do understand your point (to some extend), and I'm anticipating this is the reason behind a low download number of this mission, but that's exactly what I'm talking about, and that's exactly what I have a hard time to apprehend; I'm following the addon making for all that time and always with almost all addons there was that 'great, cool addon, very usable' thingy, but when it comes to really use those addons (with missions) ... 'I don't dl-ing all those addons', 'I've never done that', 'I don't want to dl all those addons' ... Because of such relationship and the 'addon repulsing attitude' of the players the mission makers don't use the addons with their missions (so where's then the point of making all those addons if they're not used in missions), so we're practically still 'stuck' with all those old original models of soldiers and vehicles, and there's a large abundance of great addons that sadly were even never ever used in any mission, solely because of such player's 'attitude'. In my eyes very sad, and what a waste of time and talent (from the addon makers).

As I said, the addons used in this mission are not some very exotic ones, they're all excellent and very usable, and I really thouth 80-90% of ofp players (or more precise the members of ofp community) have them.

Personally I don't like much mods (except for ECP) mostly because some are constantly changing with a constant upgrading and similar things, and some are just not my coupe of tea, and most of all there's not much missions for them (addon free missions are not playing as they should with those mods, ECP 'distorts' them the less).

Quote[/b] ]You should clarify on the animations pack, I wonder if this is a requirement to play the mission huh.gif

Or anyway just edit the first post so that everyone can see which addons are really necessary to play your mission and which of them are "enhancements" for the gameplay of the mission, please.

OK, to clarify I'll put like this; all addons and enhancements are needed to play this mission (correctly), otherwise they wouldn't be listed but recommended. The animation pack is a requirement; because of a specific movement (for instance soldiers don't move forward/out of the cover when going prone), standing (for instance some sandbag fences in the mission are so high soldiers cannot/don't shoot over them without that animation pack) and similar things.

You are right, this mission does not use any very exotic single addons. I meant to write this in my previous post but forgot to obviously.

I don't think mission are not played/downloaded because of players' attitude towards addons but players' attitude in general.

Addonmakers recieve much more response than mission makers (although the response may be positive it is not very constructive in most cases; "wow that looks so cool - gime gime gime"...). Mh, acutally that still is attitude towards addons crazy_o.gif

My statement about the addons in the mission was not meant offensive, I am just not in the mood right now to download any addon and install them to play a mission.

Nevertheless I am still thinking that most missions should be made using complete mods; WGL right now is THE Ofp mod for me. In fact WGL would bring the things you mentionded into the mission (animations, timed handgrenades; it has Jeeps with MGs and nice models IMHO). I don't want to say you should change your mission to use WGL, I just want to point out I like it smile_o.gif

Anyway I am going to download the mission sometime this week, and it better be good wink_o.gif

Anyways, you would still need that mod to play the mission right, without it the mission would not be playable right, and how big that mod is, it's not small right? You see, we're practically on same if you catch my drift.  wink_o.gif

Anyway I am going to download the mission sometime this week, and it better be good  wink_o.gif

*me shakin'*  tounge2.gif

Anyways, you would still need that mod to play the mission right, without it the mission would not be playable right, and how big that mod is, it's not small right? You see, we're practically on same if you catch my drift. wink_o.gif

Yeah but WGL is a mod you don't just download and install for only 1 mission whereas I will delete most addons needed for the mission after I finished it [ignorance] AND I already have WGL installed so I don't care how big it is [/ignorance]

Enough of that, I'll post here again when I have played the mission.

I recieve follwoing error when loading the mission:

errorwn6.jpg

The briefing and mission loads nevertheless, but at mission start I am sittinga alone in the HMMWV and cant disembark; I bet this is not correct.

I have loaded ECP mod + these addons:

addonsvu2.jpg

(I know the DMA anim nextgen thingy animations addon is missing - I have loaded WGL's animations which are about the same afaik).

Any idea what is missing? My bet is some JAM stuff as there is JAM2 and 3 required but you cannot load both at the same time or maybe LSR stuff required for the HYK infantry huh.gif

Any idea what is missing? My bet is some JAM stuff as there is JAM2 and 3 required but you cannot load both at the same time or maybe LSR stuff required for the HYK infantry  huh.gif

Hm, as it seems is connected with Hyakushiki Modern US Troops addon and its config. My bet is something is missing. I have following .pbo files from HYK addon:

- HYK_BISfaces  - and facestex2   which belongs along I think

- HYK_OPFOR

- HYK_OPFOR_RHS_JAMcfg

- HYK_USsol

- HYK_USsol_LSR_JAMcfg

By looking at your list I see some of the above .pbo's are different (differently named) nad some are missing, so maybe is the problem you don't have the latest version of the addon (v1.53).

My recomendation is to dl all the required addons from provided links and replace those (potentially) old/obsolete addons you have to eliminate any potential errors.

And it's correct you cannot disembark, but certainly is not correct you're alone in the car. How about the intro, do you have it (I'm guessing it's 'skipped' because of error)? If you do, are there the US soldiers from HYK US Troopps addon?

My recomendation is to dl all the required addons from provided links and replace those (potentially) old/obsolete addons you have to eliminate any potential errors.

I've done just that and the HYK addon I got from your provided link is version 1.53; it contains the .pbo files "HYK_USsol.pbo", "HYK_USsol_JAMcfg.pbo", "HYK_USsol_LSRcfg.pbo"

I just consulted the readme of this addon and it states something about different config files for LSR and JAM2 only versions of the addon and that not both of them are allowed to be present in the same addon folder.

I don't have time to try this out now, I'll let you now when I find out more.

Shut, I forgot I 'updated' HYK addon to final version (v.2.05)! Dammit!!! banghead.gif

In the related thread (http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....72;st=0) all download links are seemingly dead so I've zip-ed and rar-ed the files and put them on File Front, and I edited/added new dl links to the addon in first post. I've also added the links to required versions of Laser's weapon pack and RHS weapon pack (now it seems it's even more addons needed but it's the same).

I wonder why the rest which dl-ed this mission didn't reported that, certainly they must had the same problem. Weird.

Shit I'm so mad on myself! It's not good if you try to finish an 'old' mission; you can never return 100% into it, and it's 100% certain you'll forget or left out something..

I just gave it a quick try.

Here is what I think so far:

Intro:

short, nothing special. Short and simple Intros are generally not a problem for me.

Briefing:

Too short for my taste. I miss general information of the overall situation of enemy and freindly forces where they are located and what their status is, what do the markers on the map mean? Which unit am I part of, are there attachements for the upcoming mission and so on.

The mission: - SPOILER ALERT -

Unit selection: I find it quite irritating to be a marine on patrol with guys in army uniforms.

Okay the HMMWV got ambushed somewhere between Chapoi and La Pesagne, myself was the only survivor. I decided to walk back to St. Marie when half way there some artillery began pounding on what I think must have been La Riviere and some time later a firefight with flares and small arms fire was going on in some village near me (can't tell which it was).

I really felt like being in a warzone with fog of war and not knowing what is going on in the big picture. But in the same time I was frustrated because I had no information at all what I am supposed to do (would have wished some radio chatter or information in the briefing what I am supposed to do when encountering enemy forces, where the safe places are etc.).

Thanks for playing Nepomuk. I wanted to wait on you to fully play a mission and on the final report, but I decided to reply.

Yes intro is short, how I like it. Generally I don't expect something special from intro's, especially not to be some extra long 'movies'. It's an intro which would be there if this mission would be part of the planned campaign.

Briefing is also as would be in campaign, and IMHO it's informative enough. You're playing as Malden Policemen and as memeber of motized patrol, you're not a member of HQ staff to have a detailed insight on the situation. I know some missions are giving (over) detailed insights, but such briefings are not my coupe of tea, almost always this is an unnecessary exadurating, and sometimes with such mission I spend more time reading all that noise in briefing than later playing the mission.

Unit selection: I find it quite irritating to be a marine on patrol with guys in army uniforms.

As I said, you're a policemen and you're like in a special police outfit. I've searched for appropriate uniform/addon, but I didn't found it, this is the closest what I think the policemen in special uniform would look like.

Quote[/b] ]I really felt like being in a warzone with fog of war and not knowing what is going on in the big picture. But in the same time I was frustrated because I had no information at all what I am supposed to do (would have wished some radio chatter or information in the briefing what I am supposed to do when encountering enemy forces, where the safe places are etc.).

That's exactly the point of this mission, it's not a mission which will lead you by a hand like you're a little baby, this is the part of its realism. And, show some self-initiative dude.  wink_o.gif  What would you do in such situation? Where would you go? What "you supposed to do when encountering enemy forces"? Go figure mate.  tounge2.gif  wink_o.gif

Radio chatter? You don't have radio, it's destroyed in the car and the enemy is like jamming the frequencies (which you would learn in some dialogs).

Where "the 'safe places' are"? To answer I'll quote you:

Quote[/b] ]what do the markers on the map mean?

I finally made my way to the next village (forgot the name, Chapoi it was maybe).

From inside the town I heared the enemies AKs fire but their attack never reached the actual town, at least I kept waiting for about 10 minutes after the last shots were fired.

After that I lost interest again in this mission to be honest; perhaps I was too impatient but who knows.

I'd like to try it all over agian, but I am not in the mood these days, maybe in the weekend...

They'll came buddy, don't worry, true maybe not in ten minutes (cuz they'll not run infront of your and your mates gun barrels just for a body count), maybe would be wise to seize that 'free' time you have to prepare yourself wink_o.gif ...

You can try it all over again, as already mentioned some things are randomized in this mission, so it contains some re-play value.

I'd like to play your mission, but as someone else said above, the massive number of addons really deterred me from doing it.

Would you consider releasing it with less (preferably no) addons?

I'd like to play your mission, but as someone else said above, the massive number of addons really deterred me from doing it.

Would you consider releasing it with less (preferably no) addons?

To be honest I never gave a thouth of it.

As I said this mission should be part of a huge campaign (at least 50 missions, all good, long, tough/realistical ones - I stopped to work on it because ArmA was about to came out (what a blunder I made here)), and all addons 'originates' from the campaign sort of speak. Beleive it or not the mission was even more 'infested' with addons but I removed some (not so 'badly' needed).

I could remove some addons, but I don't think it would be worthed an effort. What can I say; it's your call ...