Sign in to follow this  
ArchangelSKT

Mafia 2

Well, the game has been getting mixed reviews, with the main criticism being that after you complete the story there's nothing else to do.

I'll probably still get it when I get the chance. I liked the demo, and I like a good story.

I remember i wasn't amused when Bioshock ended after 20 hours..:D

I'm sure they will pop out some DLCs, maybe it will be a good buy after they lenghten the missions.

11 hours is ok, nearly double the recent Call of Duty games at least. Maybe there will be some good DLC.

Pity it doesn't have a Free Ride Extreme mode like the first Mafia.

11 hours is fine by me, being 28 years old I dont really have the time to put in over 100 hours on a game like I did in my late teens with Final Fantasy 7 & the like, life keeps getting in the way! But im looking forward to losing myself in Mafia 2 for a while, I'll probably spread those 11 hours over a couple of weeks anyway :)

Pity it doesn't have a Free Ride Extreme mode like the first Mafia.

It doesn't ? Damn, I loved it in the first one...

11h isn't too bad if it's quality time.

Edit : it looks like the city is exactly the same as Mafia 1... Wasn't it supposed to be a new one 4 times biggers ?

Edited by EricM

Have to share this one:

GuyHx-tfF6w

offtopic:

Im playing through the Mafia 1 campaign with the good old 60s mod now.

Love how these mods changes the atmosphere so much yet still work mostly well in the campaign.

Edited by sparks50

I v heard there will be not any DLC which continue the story of Vito or give some more details to the story..Pll say that it will be all about new fancy cars,new suits and some arcade missions like it was in freeride mode in 1 game.Pretty sad caz it would be fun to see some DLC about Vito's life in prison or how he got bullet at the war.

As for the game itself - 1 game was more interesting. I think devs spent to much time on tweaking graphic and physics and forgot about the game itself IMHO.

OffTopic i just love this playboy's mags in game. Natural girls with nothing fake just sweet)

Have to share this one:

Im playing through the Mafia 1 campaign with the good old 60s mod now.

Love how these mods changes the atmosphere so much yet still work mostly well in the campaign.

excuse the noobish question - are you playing the mafia1 campaign in mafia2? :O and whats goold old 60s mod? :)

No I'm playing mafia 1 while waiting for 2 to arrive :)

Mafia 2 has most of its files locked down somehow. I hope some smart souls will figure out a way to modify it.

Now that's really annoying...

The game is on the storeshelves already..

bought it without hesitation, trying to install, and the bloody Steam-thing says it cannot be installed as the premiere day for Europe is August 27th...

:j:

Im starting to get really irritated by all this online activation & DRM rubbish, its really sucking the life out of PC gaming! For instance the other night I wanted a quick game of Left for dead 2 as I had half an hour free, but when I tried to load the game I got a message saying steam needed to update but "couldnt connect at this time" :rolleyes: and I didnt even get the option to play in offline mode, and the server didnt come back on for several hours! My internet connection was fine so the problem was with steam. I have a feeling Mafia 2 will suffer the same problems, if Steam is down for whatever reason then you cant play the game you have paid cold, hard cash for, and its a joke!

You could have quit Steam to restart it in Offline mode.

You wont be able to get online but you should be able to play your games in single player.

Bloody 'ell, aparently you could not.. without internet connection the game won't install at all...

"you can't install games when in offline mode. Close and relaunch steam to choose Online-mode"

Cool, I just spent 150PLN (38EUR) on a game that won't even install because of my slow internet connection? Just beautiful.. Instead of using the 6.29GB DVD sitting in my drive it forces me to 'update the game files' with 9kB/s "speed"... it's gonna be a long night it seems...

hmm... if I buy this, will there be a chance I'll see a Hidden & Dangerous 3? then again, Enemy in Sight never came out, so probably not, and it's too bad. I played the hell out of the first Vietcong and H&D2/SS expansion pack back in the day. good times.

Edited by Capt. Sand
missed by one letter

I guess these ridiculous cover systems are so popular because they make the game easy, especially for gamepad users.

Actually it's vice versa a bit. Gamepads are very slow and it's impossible to play shooters on consoles with the same speed, precision and reaction as on PC so cover system had to be included to cover up "streamlining" for the gamepad (you sit in one place, enemies sit in one place, you just wait till they will pop up from behind the cover, then you shoot them because if you had to move and enemies had to move like in PC shooters - it would be too hard) - which in turn makes it easy, especially for mouse+keyboard.

I hate this system and wish it would die.

Same. Maybe it works on consoles, but on PC it totally makes the game all too slow and with a very primitive gameplay.

Mafia is already 3rd person so even without the cover system you can cheat a bit, but at least it wouldn't be as ridiculously easy.

Actually another stupid thing that we got in the past few years is the "on-the-shoulder" camera. As bullets in arcade shooters are insta-born and insta-hit in the very center of the screen where crosshair is - the camera to the right of the character lets you kill enemies through boxes and walls without even pressing the "cover' button or exposing yourself, provided enemies are to your right.

A legitimate cheat which works in Mafia2 every time.

Got the game early this morning and I have been more or less glued to the screen since - It is a very, very, very atmospheric game that really gets you into the story and the goings on of Vito and company.

Gameplay in this title is for me secondary, but even so, I feel it is very solid for a contemporary third person shooter. Nothing out of the ordinary and nothing particularly exciting about it, it's just there and does it's job of carrying on the story.

Definitely looking forward to a sequel, expansion or whatever to expand the story (even though I haven't yet finished the core game).

Hopefully, 2k Czech will also get back on Enemy In Sight (but under a different name, as Atari still owns the IP), Vietcong 3, or, the gods of gaming willing, Hidden and Dangerous 3.

i like the game but heres my nitpicks:

they removed some of the features in this new game that were in the old one. for starters you cant shoot from your car (at least i haven't been able to figure out how to) i know that it was kinda of a lousy mechanic in the first game cause it was difficult to shoot and drive at the same time, but they could of kept it in and made it a little better in the second game. police also no longer come after you for running red lights or stop signs. yea it was at time irritating to have police come after you in missions where you had to drive like a lunatic cause you were on a time limit, but still could of left option where you could set police difficulty. speaking of which theres way too many police cars on the streets. its like every corner you turn at there is a cop car right there. motorcycles would have been nice too since this is taking place in the mid 1940's to 1950's. would of like to have the mafia II version of the indian chief and early harly davidson. and side missions would of been nice to make it feel a little less linear.

Somehow, after all these years wishing for a new H&D, the idea of it being made in this time and age sickens me.

In all this time, only BIS has stayed true to tactical realism gaming while all others went to the mainstream side.

Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and even Operation Flashpoint all went down the drain, and i'm 99.9% sure that will happen to an eventual H&D3 too.

It deserves better than that. I'd rather have no sequel at all if it's not going to be made absolutely right. Same for another SWAT game.

Mafia 2, mafia 2... Atmosphere's there, car simulation is there... burnouts are there. Everything else is bland. Once you finish the story in 10 hours or less, you un-install it, or you wait for DLCs, seeing as they are already in the retail game, you just don't have access to them.

Story involves driving with GPS on (50's), using the same routes every-single-time.

Edit: It's more of a roller coaster than I initially thought. Good fun for 10 hours, I guess. :cc:

not worth the 50EUs for it..

I didn't like the story (not even close to mafia1), nor the fact that i can't really do shit besides the missions related to the story.

The most annoying thing besides the lack of side missions, and the inventory(who the hell can carry 15+ weapons in his shorts ffs and why is there no meele weapons?), is the fact that there is a lot of dicking around before you get to do something yourself (besides driving around and watching cutscenes).

The "go home" and "go to bed" objectives are also omnipresent and epic in this one

Somehow, after all these years wishing for a new H&D, the idea of it being made in this time and age sickens me.

In all this time, only BIS has stayed true to tactical realism gaming while all others went to the mainstream side.

Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and even Operation Flashpoint all went down the drain, and i'm 99.9% sure that will happen to an eventual H&D3 too.

It deserves better than that. I'd rather have no sequel at all if it's not going to be made absolutely right. Same for another SWAT game.

You forgot red orhcestra.

I knew they "GTA'ed" the game and "simplified" the gameplay but i expected the story and missions to be good enough to make up for it.

So im torturing myself here through a blah story and blah missions thinking:

"What is this shit?"

This game doesnt come close to the original...

Apparently they locked out modding too? The mod communities are having to do workarounds to mod for it or something? That's really pathetic...

Why are developers/publishers so concerned about modding their games nowadays?

Edited by Zipper5

Great for a one time play through, really good! But limited replayability.