Sign in to follow this  
ArchangelSKT

Mafia 2

I can't wait for this. DX10 we assume? This would be one of the only games that would make me get Vista and a DX10 card.

Yes for me as well.

Last year I was basically giving myself two options :

1) Buy a console and a Tv couse not much I was interested in was coming out on the PC

2) Run my PC as long as I could just playing old favorites and then probably stop playing alltogether.

But when Mafia 2 was announced I decided to get another gaming pc which probably will be my last one (I`m getting older tounge2.gif).

So now I have decided to hold it off until we get the specifications for the game so I will build it around Mafia 2, and also OFP2.

If those two games (and ARMA2) delivers I may never need another PC anyway smile_o.gif

And Mafia 2 truly puts GTA IV to shame from what I have seen, Mafia 2 is developed primarily for the PC platform though I believe which is awesome.

Agreed, I was getting quite dissapointed with the current PC game prospects. Mafia 2, Spore and GTA4 (when it eventually arrives on pc) will make that all better.

I preferred Mafia to the GTA series, but still owned both. Mafia seems much more clinical and well polished. It just looks brilliant and had such an excellent story. GTA is fun, plain and simple. Will be getting both, but Mafia 2 has my mind racing the most.

Yes if GTA IV will be released on PC, which I believe I will seriously consider getting it as I enjoyed GTA III in a way.

But for me GTA III was like "blah just play to get it over with"

in the end.

With Mafia it is entirely different.

As I have said many other times on other forums, GTA is cool, but Mafia is a real class act.

Mafia 2 is my most highly anticipated game for the moment ( along with OFP2) and I haven`t felt this anticipation for a game in a long time. Last time must have been "Hidden and dangerous 2" in 2003\04.

That being said Mafia 2 also looks to be tailored as an mature game, which I appriciate as I become increasingly more picky as I get older.

I will for sure give the original another spin before the release of Mafia 2, probably watch "The Godfather" as well.

Speaking of which, I am now rewatching "The Sopranos" biggrin_o.gif

The graphics on the screens that have been released look to me alot better then I imagined to be honest, everything seems to be so "alive" and nothing seems just to be "pasted" into the screen as a mere empty object.

For me "Mafia" is first and foremost about a good story, and driving.

The Car has always had a central place in any mobsters life and that is why I am a bit surprised to read that alot of gamers held the driving in "Mafia" to be prolonged and negative.

For me it was one of the truly great things about the game as you can think about the mission going there, and also you have to behave and watch out for the cops.

The issue of having to drive to the mission and then return to Salieri`s in the original added alot of non-linear action inside a linear story, couse afterall you had to get back home possibly escaping the cops.

Sometimes I had success in my missions but get cought up getting attention from the police and from there it could often escalate into me getting killed in a roadblock after many carchases biggrin_o.gif

I have no doubt that we will have the same core playability in "Mafia 2" but with added features that make the game more interesting as in regards to replayability.

A great story I almost take for granted, and I am also very eager to see how the driving physics will turn out as it was one of "Mafia`s" strongpoints.

couldn't agree more Archangel - my only gripe ever with Mafia, was that you never really got to have much time in the back of cars shooting the tommy gun.

story was always the major driving point of Mafia, it was just so very involving. I felt like I was playing through Goodfellas.

There's a good preview in this month's ZONE, should be on the site soon smile_o.gif

Oh thats great.

There already has been alot of new information this week (if you check the Take2 forums for the game) and it all sounds very promising.

I love that the city "Empire City" will be about twize the size of "Lost Heaven", though we will not get that much countryside this time as the total map is about 70% of the original. Though alot of the countryside map in the original was tied up and only had some small roads.

We will also be able to story guns in the trunk of the car for example, and to get a house of our own where we can store guns etc I guess.

Some gamers have complained about that it seems to move into GTA territory but I disagree as long as the mainstory stays very solid. In my opinion it looks like Mafia 2 will have alot more things on the side in addition to a great story.

Replayability is always important for me and to be fair Mafia didn`t have alot of that besides the freeroam and freeroam extreme which in itself was ok, but this time I expect a bit more and I think we will get it as well.

The car damage is said to be equally\more advanced then the one in the latest burnout game, besides that I assume they keep up the driving physics from the first game as I mentioned in my previous post.

Looking at those screens, thinking about a beautiful city twize the size of "Lost Heaven" to drive around in all those cars rofl.gif , wheels\pedals is a must for me in this game.

And the car tommygun thing, there is some shooting from the car in the official trailer and it is also shown in a few screens so far so I would not worry about that smile_o.gif

I hope the speed limit will be removed. The novelty of obeying the law soon lost its fun after the third time. Also, it sucked because in a mission where you had to run away from somebody you usually had to stick to the speed limit while they didn't.

As I understand in Mafia 2 the cops will not only go after you but also others that break the law.

And I don`t agree it losts it fun in obeying the law, it added another dimension to the game in my opinion.

http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/screen.asp?id=12318

So so beautyfull, compared to it GTA4 is looking like a console game tounge2.gif .

GTA4 IS a console game.

PC gamers just get a port.

indeed, and they never really addressed the fact that shooting with a mouse and keyboard, is inherently easier and more accurate that with a game pad, so most of the missions were far far easier than in their console counterparts.

still, always enjoyable. and lets not forget that GTA's roots are on the PC, not the console. God bless top down GTA.

Im very hyped too, but this time i hope there will be more to it than a good story and memorable missions.

Mafia was missing a well thought out MP mode and things to do in the city.

Free ride just didnt feel wright after finishing the plot.

yes, indeed - the free ride mode was a little... afterthought - even free ride extreme where you collected those strange cars was a bit odd.

Would you, say, prefer it to follow the GTA philosophy of having free ride during the entire story, so you choose when to move onto the next 'mission'? Thus allowing you to have a bit of a play around between the story line.

Personally I hope they keep the core ethos of Mafia 1 but add the more open worldness of GTA, GTA is at its best when you have a multitude of things to do, many different people around to offer you missions, many different activities to do at any one time, things like that smile_o.gif

Talking of "Open worldness" there's a feature on Open World gaming in the next issue of PC Zone UK, I believe a certain awesome member of Bohemia Interactive was interviewed for it wink_o.gif

Nice hint Paul,

yes I also hope that there will be an ambient enviroment.

Judging from the first pictures, that seems a feature which will be implemented in a late state of the developement.

But I also hope that the athmophere of Mafia I will be taken over to Mafia2 by the developers.

But now, waiting for 29. biggrin_o.gif

Nice hint Paul

Yeah I thought it was a very subtle segue myself wink_o.gif

I just hope they keep the transportation system... I just loved it!

Hijacking a car here, getting somewhere else by train... that was some kind of freedom you rarely have in computer games. smile_o.gif

I believe a certain awesome member of Bohemia Interactive was interviewed for it wink_o.gif

Awwww I cancelled my subscription and my last one came a few days ago sad_o.gif I'm sure it'll appear on CVG in the end, though.

yes, indeed - the free ride mode was a little... afterthought - even free ride extreme where you collected those strange cars was a bit odd.

Would you, say, prefer it to follow the GTA philosophy of having free ride during the entire story, so you choose when to move onto the next 'mission'? Thus allowing you to have a bit of a play around between the story line.

Alot of the features that some preview talk about like that you can drink,eat, buy a house, wash your car etc...

But they have not specified if this is freeroam features being separated from the main story or if it is included as a posibilty in-between as you asked in your question.

I don`t see a problem if we have freeroam in between missions, as the people who would want the main story seperated from it could just complete it without using the possibility to freeroam anyway.

It would just be an extra drive to this games "Salieri`s" anyway for the people that want to avoid it.

More options as I see it.

Besides that owning an own house, car etc in the mainstory makes it a little bit more lose in a good way I think.

Like I always wondered where Tommy lived in the original, it adds a bit of character in my opinion.

I hope we can buy and store some weapons there as well.

It has already been confirmed that we will have more choices as to which weapons we want to carry in missions, as the originals method was a bit to narrow in my opinion.

I`m sure the mainstory will be tight no matter what added options\features we get on the side.

MP though there will not be, it is a strictly SP experience which I think is a bit sad, I would have loved if Mafia 2 would have MP.

I posted on a suggested method on the official boards where you have a "heist-mode" which would be like :

Two teams, cops and mobsters

The mobsters have to pull of a heist, but there would be like 5 banks to chose from (or randomly assigned as a target) in that way it would not be the same place to rob everytime. So the ones playing the cops would not no where to go.

And as long as the mobsters (who could have random skins for each turn for example) would do there best to blend in they would be very hard to single out from the NPC.

Sure there would be alot of other possibilities, but it would have to have a mode which was a bit "real" and not totally anarchistic in its nature, but of course with mature players you can get that anyway I guess.

The time frame now is the early 50s right? I wonder if there's a mission where you have to eliminate Tommy...

Yeah I saw that, looks like GTA IV is a nice game, though even if I admit I am more of a Mafia fanboy then GTA I seriously hope Mafia II will get the credit and attention it deserves in relation to GTA IV. (hard to say as it is not out yet tounge2.gif ).

But Mafia still got very little attention as compared to GTA III back in 2002, I just hope the same does not happen again.

More people seem to tune in on Mafia 2 this time around though, hopefully it will make more people get the original as well as they wait on the release.

*dig dig*

Demo is out on steam and consoles now. Its pretty amazing, you can really tell that they spent all that time to get all those details right.

protip: turn driving simulation on in options if you like a.. challenge :p

Edited by sparks50

Just tried it, the gameplay feels consolish... and it reminds me more of GTA IV in the 50's than Mafia. Cant help to feel disapointed about it.