Sign in to follow this  
ArchangelSKT

Mafia 2

One question about the demo;

When I download it via Steam it does automatically install on the machine, right? Can I even just downlaod it on one computer and then install it on another?

sorry; did not use Steam ever before :P

For me Mafia II is all about the story. It might be a little bit more "GTA'ish", but it still got alot the feel from the first game in it.

Worth my money at least.

@topas

Yes, after you have downloaded the demo from Steam it's installed. First startup will include some installation of DirectX and such though.

Is there going to be a difficulty setting for the full game? I could blaze through the warehouse no problemo.

That cover system sure makes the combat easy, I wish games would stop implementing that stupid system

Yeah because in real life, only wimps take cover when people are shooting at them

Yeah because in real life, only wimps take cover when people are shooting at them

Because in real life i cant look around corners when i am hiding behind something because i do not have acces to a flying camera over my shoulder.

Yeah because in real life, pressing your back against a wall means you are invulnerable to gunfire even if half of your body is sticking out of cover. :rolleyes:

Yeah, because in real life, girls laugh at the size of my penis and refuse to go out with me.

Abs

Yeah, because in real life, girls laugh at the size of my penis and refuse to go out with me.

Abs

They laugh at your penis before you go out with them? Try pants.

when are they going to make a game about the police? it's always mobsters, gangsters, blah blah. boring.

when are they going to make a game about the police? it's always mobsters, gangsters, blah blah. boring.

You want police simulator? :p

I don't think a simulator would work very well because then you'd have to follow 15 standard procedures just to make an arrest, etc. But a Police based open world game where you can drive around town and respond to crimes would be interesting. Of course another type of police game could be based on detective work instead of the usual patrols. That would be great as well. There's a game coming out called LA Noire that's like that, but it looks very linear, and it's console-ware.

I was hoping to see the control to be less chunky, yet it didnt, in fact it feel worse then the first one, the cover system works and the car driving is fun, but basic movememt and related combat suffer big time...

http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/ is the only game I can think of that fits the bill. It is being developed for PS3 and XB360 by some of the people that made one of the most underrated open-world games ever, namely The Getaway. A game that also featured some playable police elements.

On a sidenote... After playing the 360 demo I decided to pre-order for console. It just didn't feel as good on the PC :bored:

Just saw L.A Noire mentioned above, woops!

Swat series.. The True Crime series.. True Crime were mainly just bad though.

Criminals have more freedom than someone in the police so they generally make for more entertaining games.

Edited by sparks50

They laugh at your penis before you go out with them? Try pants.

Damn. I knew I had a problem. :(

As for the request for police games, I want a police simulator that includes the hours and hours of paperwork that police officers have to do as well. In addition to that, I want to be forced to get a warrant before busting the bad guys. Plus, I also want one where the bad guy gets released on bail 24 hours later...and then I go and kick his ass.

Abs

As for the request for police games, I want a police simulator that includes the hours and hours of paperwork that police officers have to do as well. In addition to that, I want to be forced to get a warrant before busting the bad guys. Plus, I also want one where the bad guy gets released on bail 24 hours later...and then I go and kick his ass.

Abs

Obviously it wouldn't be like that but something along the lines of what zachanscom said. It would be in the spirit of ArmA, realistic but not the level where you feel like hammering a nail into your head.

Edited by Snafu

You completely missed my point. Looks like other posters have explained so I wont say any more...

I guess these ridiculous cover systems are so popular because they make the game easy, especially for gamepad users. I hate this system and wish it would die. A system that works in first person would be cool, only a few games do that as far as I know (like Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood but I haven't played it myself).

Mafia is already 3rd person so even without the cover system you can cheat a bit, but at least it wouldn't be as ridiculously easy.

I'm gonna read reviews and see how long this game lasts before I buy it. Like I've said regarding other games, I'm not paying full price for only 6 hours of entertainment.

Still, I look forward to getting it, even if it means waiting until it's cheap or on sale.

I am largely very happy with this demo. Preordered the full thing. I have 3 minor complaints:

-Police wont know what to do with you if you climb up on a car

-cover system with 3rd view makes indoor fighting too easy

-Shoot a cop in the head without witnesses, and all cops will immediately be alerted about it.

There are lot of minor AI defects, but its okay overall.

I tried to download the demo but the devil (Steam) had issues. Not really my kind of game but it looks great.

Someone on youtube said he beat the game in 11 hours. I thinks that is hardly a good lenght. :protest:

Well, considering most games these days not even offering 8 hours, and some clocking in at 4 hours (COD:MW anyone), 11 hours isnt that bad.