Sign in to follow this  
ArchangelSKT

Mafia 2

I found the Mafia 2 demo amazing great. You can see slightly the console effect, but the game is still very unique with details, mood, story, characters and the physics, car simulation, music, fighting system and shooting are excelent too. I expect the full game to be one of the best games ever.

I cant also wait to see if there is more games coming from 2K Czech in year or two since they have now a brand new game engine. Last time they brought (Mafia1, Vietcong, H&D2) in one year and also two addon-packs for them.

I just love the level of detail. The police system has been improved over the M1 system. (and the old system was already the best by far in any open world shooter)

If your quick, you can rob a store and get away before the police arrive.

Let the employee live: the police will question him/her, and if you walk in again the employee may recognize you.

Kill the employee: the shop becomes a crime scene. Shoot from a specific location, sneak away and the police will walk past you and search in your old location.

If theres no witnesses to the crime, the police wont arrive at all.

Edited by sparks50

i must agree the demo decision is very well done step from 2kGames ...

I just tried the demo and I have to say it is amazing. The graphics are beautiful and the driving on simulation is pretty good. Cover system is nice as well, not clunky. I cant wait for full game.

I, too, think the demo was absolutely beautiful. The selling point is, of course, the driving: while I'm sure there'll be tons and tons of indoor shootouts, it seems like they'll basically work the same as in GTA IV: a filler inbetween all the crazy drivin' stunts ;) Anyway, I thought the music and the scenery were very pretty - I even got pulled over for speeding and got to pay the ticket, no problems. So yeah. Great stuff! Loved Mafia, definitely getting this (once it hits the bargain bin, that is...:( )

Regards,

Wolfrug

I like really like the mafia 2 - detail , atmosfere ,but you are right it got the little consolish gameplay ,but no problem for me :)

tryed PC one and i will try PS3 one ,but guys are saying - the ps3 version is alot worse than PC one :p

Huh, I can not play any game that has gun in it on console. I just have to have good old mouse & keyboard setup. Anyway, anyone knows if the full PC game will be steam only like MW2? I hope not.

Nope, it's available in game stores for preorder for a while now.

You could buy MW2 in store as well but Steam is still required to play.

My only complaint is that the indoor shooting gets way too easy with the cover system.

Shootouts in the streets are harder, because there the enemy can arrive from anywhere.

You could buy MW2 in store as well but Steam is still required to play.

Ah, didn't know that. Then i'm not sure what's the situation here.

My only complaint is that the indoor shooting gets way too easy with the cover system. Theres no challenge in it.

That and i miss the reloading system when you were reloading a whole mag.

I cant help feeling that i just played a cut down version of GTA IV instead of a Mafia sequel, more detailed in areas, less in others but not as refined as i expected a Mafia sequel to be.

The shops, the hotdog stands and even the death screen (black and white screen in slow motion) are all too familiar, even the cover system, police and radio broadcasts remind me of GTA IV more than Mafia.

The classy Mafia presentation and stylish menus are gone, a picture with huge letters in the middle of the screen decorates the main menu and there are barely any options and settings to be found, i cant replace that offensive huge cross with a more subttle crosshair and the only way i can navigate the menu with good mouse response is by disabling vsync, typical console port style..

The city looks tiny, early on 2k stated that Empire Bay would be 4 times the size of New Haven but the city is atleast more interactive and alive, just not as much as.. GTA IV.

Realism was tossed out, you no longer carry loaded magazines but have an ordinary magazine pool instead, meaning you dont loose rounds thru partial reloads.

I was able to carry all the weapons i could find like a walking armory so carefull selection is unimportant, i also dislike the fact that you can no longer search corpses and dropped weapons lying on the floor.. glow.

Health regeneration is in place.

And they scrapped melee weapons, no knives or baseball bats anymore, probably why every thug in town carries a colt 1911.

Its pretty and i like the cars but its not the Mafia sequel i anticipated, if you ask me it needed more work :( .

I cant help feeling that i just played a cut down version of GTA IV instead of a Mafia sequel, more detailed in areas, less in others but not as refined as i expected a Mafia sequel to be.

The shops, the hotdog stands and even the death screen (black and white screen in slow motion) are all too familiar, even the cover system, police and radio broadcasts remind me of GTA IV more than Mafia.

The classy Mafia presentation and stylish menus are gone, a picture with huge letters in the middle of the screen decorates the main menu and there are barely any options and settings to be found, i cant replace that offensive huge cross with a more subttle crosshair and the only way i can navigate the menu with good mouse response is by disabling vsync, typical console port style..

The city looks tiny, early on 2k stated that Empire Bay would be 4 times the size of New Haven but the city is atleast more interactive and alive, just not as much as.. GTA IV.

Realism was tossed out, you no longer carry loaded magazines but have an ordinary magazine pool instead, meaning you dont loose rounds thru partial reloads.

I was able to carry all the weapons i could find like a walking armory so carefull selection is unimportant, i also dislike the fact that you can no longer search corpses and dropped weapons lying on the floor.. glow.

Health regeneration is in place.

And they scrapped melee weapons, no knives or baseball bats anymore, probably why every thug in town carries a colt 1911.

Its pretty and i like the cars but its not the Mafia sequel i anticipated, if you ask me it needed more work :( .

remember the days when we had games like pacman, space invaders or even super mario bros on the nes. All those games took a few weeks to make and everybody loved them and never complained once. It seems that nowadays everyone is spoilt for choice when it comes to games, yet nobody is ever satisfied by anything thats made. "theres always an improvement thats needed for this or that game."

remember the days when we had games like pacman, space invaders or even super mario bros on the nes. All those games took a few weeks to make and everybody loved them and never complained once. It seems that nowadays everyone is spoilt for choice when it comes to games, yet nobody is ever satisfied by anything thats made. "theres always an improvement thats needed for this or that game."

yea that's because back then there were no standards, so those games were the best anyone could imagine. Now there are much better games made in the past and it's going backwards except graphics.

Dont forget the message at the beginning of the demo - that the demo is unfinished product & the full game will be different :)

Anyway I've just had a few goes at the demo, and I can see me spending many happy hours in this game! I missed GTA4 so any comparisons to that game are irrelevant to me, the last game of this style I played was GTA san andreas with all the limitations the technology back then had, so this is a new experience for me. Graphics are gorgeous, gun play is fun, story line seems promising, the driving seems fine & theres a ridiculous amount of little details in the world to take notice of! posters on the wall, newspaper headlines, the playboy mags, the way womens skirts flow as they walk rather than rigid polygons, the awesome soundtrack, I could go on...:cool:

gta is a pointless arcade with a basic storyline that doesnt follow any real goal Alough i have enjoyed all the GTA games and never took them seriously. mafia on the otherhand was a very powerful game, the story was very in depth, powerful and close to any scorsese gangster film you could watch. Every mission was fun, even though a few were a bit crazy and over the top, they all had an important part that followed the story. I cant wait to get my hands on this.

Yes, but take OFP which was released in 2001. We're all still here because we liked that game and because we got improvements in the successors. And we post here to get even more improvements (official or addon)

Mafia 1 came out in 2002 and now we finally got the successor (or at least a first look at it) and instead of an improvement it's missing some things. You can't even shoot out of your car anymore. So we were already spoiled eight years ago and why wouldn't you expect the same features?

That little rant aside, the demo still looks promising. I really like the setting, music and atmosphere in the city and if the story and mission are half as good as in part 1 it's still a good game.

By the way, the game somehow looks like in Arma when 3D resolution is below 100%, any way to get SSAA working on an ATI card?

Nice demo.... In some respects however, I agree with Heatseeker - It feels somewhat like a downscaled version of GTA IV. But bearing in mind that Mafia 2 doesn't aim to be a sandbox game per sé, but rather a game focused on storytelling, with some free roaming tossed in as an extra. Many of the things that are lacking in the world compared to GTA IV can be forgiven.

I will definitely buy this game, whether it will be for PC or for XB360 remains to be seen - My rig scored rather well on the benchmark, 63 FPS on average, but during the last part of the demo mission everything slowed down to a nasty crawl, with next to no regard for settings being lowered.

That cover system sure makes the combat easy, I wish games would stop implementing that stupid system that lets you hide while still magically seeing around the cover.

Is there a hack or something to get rid of the time limit when roaming the city? They had this in the demo for the first game too, pretty lame.

Seems like a very good game overall. Nothing groundbreaking but good fun, better than the usual crap. I like that it doesn't take mor than two or 3 shots for anyone, including the player, to die. Makes firefights seem a little more believable.

Dumbed down in some ways, but better in others. The simulation mode for cars is pretty awesome, still not super realistic but it sure makes driving more fun.

I might just buy this one :)

Despite the cover system I find combat here much more fun and immersive than GTA4. I don't think the game feels anything like GTA4. It's in a city and lets you roam around, hardly a GTA exclusive feature.

Edit: There is a time limit patch out there, but it's a modified *.exe so I don't know if posting it is ok, Google it yourself if you want it...

Edited by Maddmatt

The police AI is very good in this game. It acts based on what they actually see.

This comparison with GTA was going on already back in the Mafia 1 days.

Though Mafia did have an open world there was very little to do, and roaming wasnt very interesting. Now with all the citizens doing various things it should be more interesting, but it still isnt the strong point of the game. That would be storytelling, which is excellent.

General consesus was that Mafia wasnt really comparable because of the maturity difference, though it has some comparisons.

I have to agree with Maddmatt though.

This cover system is getting very tiresome, it would be better to just get rid of it.

Nuisances range from seeing stuff you shouldnt be able to, to the more severe 'half of my body is sticking out of cover, but i've got coversystem on so i cant be shot' syndrome.

The cover system itself could be acceptable however with health regeneration added on top it feels like cheating, and the game offers no challenge in combat situations, up to the point of being ridiculously easy.

On top of that comes the fact the combat plays exactly the same like other shooters, and that leaves the game with no feeling of it's own, which is a terrible shame.

I mean, everything is there: the open world which is fantastically designed and alive, believable characters with a possibly very interesting storyline (there isnt much to tell since it's just a demo, but if it's anything to the scope of Mafia 1 we're in for a treat), but it loses a lot of the impact because it plays like everything else.

So the bottom line is, it's tempting, but i doubt if it's a buy for me.

Mafia 1 had some extra hours in the crazy extreme mode though. A big contrast to the usually serious game

as for the Mafia 2 demo - I think it succeeds in transforming you back to the time period in which it is occuring, in this case - the 50's. Driving around with "Rock around the Clock" on the radio just made me feel nostalgic about all those flicks we've all watched which also took place in the 50's.

and I think that's the strongpoint of Mafia 2 (demo, but I don't think the feeling will differ in the full game) - that's what makes it a unique experience - the same formula that, IMO, also made Mafia 1 so special - the 30's feeling to it, it was unmatched.

for the Obvious GTA comparisons - I have to say this: I'm sure many will agree with me that Vice City was and is still the best GTA game in the whole serie. why? there are so many reasons, but the main one for me - setting! VC is the closest thing for me in terms of going back in time to the 80's. I know R* made it while solidly "Pumping" the nostalgia factor - but there's nothing wrong with that, because it's perfect.

I also have to mention OFP:CWC and its expansions. it FELT for me like it was occuring in 1985, apart from a specific song played in a certain helicopter cutscene. I played it and kept saying - this is 1985, I'm participating in the cold war, Reagan is sitting in the oval office right now, people go around with big hair. I don't know how it affected others, it might be weird, but I loved and I still do.

guess I'm saying that games that somehow take you into a time machine are always good.