Sign in to follow this  
Dudester

Is Queens Gambit going to have better animations

Sevan, be a soldier and look up in the air as high as you can...theres the problem smile_o.gif

There are some real critisims here, but how is your arms covering your view an animation problem?

Just lay down , target at a flying helicopter with your gun and you will see the problem... Don't go into ironsight view, just look.  wink_o.gif

It looks really freaky how he is holding his gun. rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]Hi, what will be pimp will be that BIS adds female animations and

female character models, so the girls could choose a character that

reflects more they're anathomy than male unshaved & sweated models

Are you a crossdresser or why are you so obsessed with females in Arma ? whistle.gif

The animations that are coming with Arma are among the topnotch animations I have seen for a game up to now. Imo it´s the transitions mechanism that makes the anim-system bulky but having "break-points" for animations implemented is a rather complex issue and could end with rather unpleasant visual results. Still, there´s always room for improvement but hoping for a complete change of the system is naive.

Quote[/b] ]Just lay down , target at a flying helicopter with your gun and you will see the problem... Don't go into ironsight view, just look. wink_o.gif

It looks really freaky how he is holding his gun.

A real solution for this would be to limit the movement radius and max angle for upward targeting as it would be in real life. Still, I guess that wouldn´t make you happy, right ? whistle.gif

sorry, I guess I never went prone and attempted to look striaght up.

It's being worked on.

link

@ ofpforum, arn't these problems enough for you to read, i'm just amazed at some people who are unwilling to except change for the better.

Dude i really, really want to understand whats wrong with them, because i *really* dont understand whats wrong with them, and everytime i ask whats wrong with them i see you all like "Oh god, some fanboy again..", but i really dont see anything seriously wrong with them, i can easily think of many improvements but that doesnt mean the current ones are flawed. And because in early discussion some people (including you IIRC) wanted the old OFP animations back which play the same, except you cant roll/lean and looked quite retarted im really confused (How can you call the ArmA animations 'robotic' compared to the OFP ones?)

(The biggest 'problem' being unable to walk/run (slowly) while reloading because we can only play 1 animation at the same time)

EDIT: I guess i went a little overboard with the 'whats wrong with them' part, oh well.. tounge2.gif

i think some guys are misunderstanding the animations thing.

you can name it movement or controls of the model too.

cause the animations of the models look really better than in OFP, but the movements or the controls feel really not as good as it was in OFP.

Its just the way how you control the model which is disturbing often.

Here some examples:

- sprinting against a rich: The sprint animation stops and a walking animation starts. No smooth middle part.

- stopping during sprint: Sometimes you stop immediately and sometimes your model makes 3 more steps. But if u press a lean button your model stops always without the extra steps.

- reloading: You can move your head during reloading, but after you finished reloading the view moves back to the position when you pressed the reload button.

- going into crouch position: If you press crouch once, your model returns to crouch after walking, but if you sprint it doesnt.

- throwing a nade: try to throw a nade in every position, like in laying position, crouch position and stand position, its always different and it takes far too long.

- moving side ways in crouch position: its kind of luck how far your model will move when you go side ways in crouch position.

that are the most important in my opinion and the once which came to my mind now.

I will never say that BF2 got better animations than ArmA, but the handling of your model is far better. I know that BF2 is an arcade game and not a simulator and i know that jumping is not good. But the way how you can move your model in BF2 is by far more realistic in my view, cause the model is doing what i press at my key-board and its not like in ArmA more a luck thing.

Its clear that the COOP players dont have such probs with the current ArmA controlling, cause its not so important what your model does if the opponent is just a stupid AI, but at PvP its the most important thing to have full control of your model.

The animations/movements/controls are the most important thing of a computer game and ArmA has totally lost in that case.

OFP was good cause the controls were really nice, it was fast and intuitive.

Look at the server list and you have the proof. Nearly no PvP servers running, COOP is dominating.

OK i dont have a prob with COOP, but PvP gives me personal way more fun than shooting AIs.

@ Frantic, now all you have to do is convince the fan boys thats there's still nothing wrong. If some of these things Frantic has mentioned were fixed, then i am sure we would start to see more people playing pvp.

Queens Gambit, so is it going to have the same controls as Arma, or are we of to see a much improved animation?

I don't want to look like i'm stamping my feet like a kid, but i am not buying the game if its of to remain the same. I like to play online and the server count at the moment for CTF is a joke. Many of my old Ofp friends are not playing this game for the reasons i have mentioned and i find this so annoying

Quote[/b] ]- throwing a nade: try to throw a nade in every position, like in laying position, crouch position and stand position, its always different and it takes far too long.

Now that is something i totally agree on, now that i think about it, i barely use grenades because the whole trowing system is so clumsy.

Quote[/b] ]- stopping during sprint: Sometimes you stop immediately and sometimes your model makes 3 more steps. But if u press a lean button your model stops always without the extra steps.

- moving side ways in crouch position: its kind of luck how far your model will move when you go side ways in crouch position.

But the way how you can move your model in BF2 is by far more realistic in my view, cause the model is doing what i press at my key-board and its not like in ArmA more a luck thing.

I think you are having some kind of input lag here, if the controls dont feel like OFP (unresponsive/laggy/whatever) then there is something wrong somewhere, because it doesnt and shouldnt do it on my PC.

Someone was able to recreate the problem by changing ArmA's priority trough the task manager, maybe you can get rid of it by messing around with that.

Well, first of all, I don't think that Queen's Gambit will bring any noticeable changes to ArmA at all...

Secondly, anims aren't bad, and I simply can't understand those who say that the anims are screwed up. Sure, there are engine limitations, that affect anims, like not being able to reload/change weapon while moving (as ofpforum wrote). Afaik you also can't abort anim that's being played at the moment. And yes, those are things I want to see changed or upgraded, or....whatever. The rest desired anims are AI-related, as they can't do certain things players can, like strafing, leaning, and reacting quickly on what's happening around them without slowly turning/rotating themselves into that direction. Just like Armavidz wrote:

Quote[/b] ]Ai Player Movement:

Run forward, RIGHT TURN, Run Forward, RIGHT TURN, PRONE etc. etc.

But again, it's been discussed many times in countless AI threads, that's not gonna happen soon.

Above mentioned engine limitations should be solved somehow so that we could: go prone while reloading (even if it would involve loosing the mag), and generally interrupt some anims/actions, like aborting the reloading or putting the AT launcher on your arm, as it can save your life sometimes.

But, that's not the point. The courrent anims, are ok. Sure everything can be tweaked here or there, but well...

What could be changed/added in ARMA:QG? Well...maybe using RPGs while prone or standing, and it also means reloading them...

Some anim transitions are missing, but I can live with that. I play in 1th person view, so I don't really notice these things.

I hope they fix the binoc animations tho.

Quote[/b] ]- throwing a nade: try to throw a nade in every position, like in laying position, crouch position and stand position, its always different and it takes far too long.

Now that is something i totally agree on, now that i think about it, i barely use grenades because the whole trowing system is so clumsy.

Quote[/b] ]- stopping during sprint: Sometimes you stop immediately and sometimes your model makes 3 more steps. But if u press a lean button your model stops always without the extra steps.

But the way how you can move your model in BF2 is by far more realistic in my view, cause the model is doing what i press at my key-board and its not like in ArmA more a luck thing.

I think you are having some kind of input lag here, if the controls dont feel like OFP (unresponsive/laggy/whatever) then there is something wrong somewhere, because it doesnt and shouldnt do it on my PC.

Someone was able to recreate the problem by changing ArmA's priority trough the task manager, maybe you can get rid of it by messing around with that.

Man, please get it into your head thats its got nothing to do with input lagg, or anyones pc. From the evidence of your posts on this thread, its clear that nomatter what anyone says your of to disagree. Frantic has spelt it out whats wrong, if you still cannot see that then there is nothing more anyone can say to you. banghead.gifbanghead.gifcrazy_o.gif

Man, please get it into your head thats its got nothing to do with input lagg, or anyones pc. From the evidence of your posts on this thread, its clear that nomatter what anyone says your of to disagree. Frantic has spelt it out whats wrong, if you still cannot see that then there is nothing more anyone can say to you.  banghead.gif  banghead.gif  crazy_o.gif

If you press a button and then stop pressing it, and 2 seconds later you are still moving then there is clearly a problem somewhere, that is *not* part of the game design, it may be a bug/conflict somewhere. Same for the character only moving after you already pressed the button, its not supposed to be like that. Check the troubleshooting forum, there are multiple topics with problems like this.

Im not saying your problems are not excisitng or that he is overreacting, but what he (and you?) is experiencing is clearly a bug. You are not the victim of BI's realism ideas by making the controlling of the character very sluggish or whatever.

Man, please get it into your head thats its got nothing to do with input lagg, or anyones pc. From the evidence of your posts on this thread, its clear that nomatter what anyone says your of to disagree. Frantic has spelt it out whats wrong, if you still cannot see that then there is nothing more anyone can say to you.  banghead.gif  banghead.gif  crazy_o.gif

If you press a button and then stop pressing it, and 2 seconds later you are still moving then there is clearly a problem somewhere, that is *not* part of the game design, it may be a bug/conflict somewhere. Same for the character only moving after you already pressed the button, its not supposed to be like that. Check the troubleshooting forum, there are multiple topics with problems like this.

Im not saying your problems are not excisitng or that he is overreacting, but what he (and you?) is experiencing is clearly a bug.

Seriously, please read Frantics post again. I myself along with all of my old Ofp mates know what Frantic means, and since some of the lads i know, are computer engineers and tech guys, then i think they know what they are talking about.

Maybe your talking about a different game, or you have 1.09 patch.

Well just to add my own opinion, I don't see too much wrong with the animations, sometimes a running man looks a little like that scene in Superman where a stunt man is dangled while "running" alongside a train... but nothing that really effects gameplay too much. Getting a pistol out seems about the right length of time, and the grenade shortfalls are more to do with the aiming procedure than the animation.

In any case, it's only a matter of time before better animations come along, OFP eventually had pretty good animations (comparatively). Personally I'd like to see better "tumbling", where a running man is shot. OFP had an addon that did a pretty good job of that, you could see a man fall from a very long way.

Well just to add my own opinion, I don't see too much wrong with the animations, sometimes a running man looks a little like that scene in Superman where a stunt man is dangled while "running" alongside a train... but nothing that really effects gameplay too much. Getting a pistol out seems about the right length of time, and the grenade shortfalls are more to do with the aiming procedure than the animation.

In any case, it's only a matter of time before better animations come along, OFP eventually had pretty good animations (comparatively). Personally I'd like to see better "tumbling", where a running man is shot. OFP had an addon that did a pretty good job of that, you could see a man fall from a very long way.

So all the problems Frantic has clearly pointed out, you don't see as a problem.  crazy_o.gif

Seriously, please read Frantics post again. I along with all of my old Ofp mates know what he's talking about, and since some of these lads i know are computer engineers, and tech guys, i think they know what there talking about. Maybe your talking about a different game, or you have 1.09 patch.

Ok then.. Is it possible to record this with FRAPS (or a camera in case you are going to record yourself pressing buttons) or anything then? Because my controls respond *exactly* as fast as in OFP, the time between me pressing W and i'm running is *slightly* slower then in OFP because it takes a bit longer to get up to speed.

So apparently i got some magic PC, that, or ArmA hates your PC and decides to conflict with something or whatever. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]So all the problems Frantic has clearly pointed out, you don't see as a problem.

Maybe not everyone is expreciencing it..

(Except for the clusmy grenade trowing ofcourse)

Seriously, please read Frantics post again. I along with all of my old Ofp mates know what he's talking about, and since some of these lads i know are computer engineers, and tech guys, i think they know what there talking about. Maybe your talking about a different game, or you have 1.09 patch.

Ok then.. Is it possible to record this with FRAPS (or a camera in case you are going to record yourself pressing buttons) or anything then? Because my controls respond *exactly* as fast as in OFP, the time between me pressing W and i'm running is *slightly* slower then in OFP because it takes a bit longer to get up to speed.

So apparently i got some magic PC, that, or ArmA hates your PC and decides to conflict with something or whatever. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]So all the problems Frantic has clearly pointed out, you don't see as a problem.

You would make a good politician.

Maybe your playing Ofp? or like i said Arma 1.09....Common tell me your testing beta 1.09.

You would make a good politician.

Maybe your playing Ofp? or like i said Arma 1.09....Common tell me your testing beta 1.09.

When it comes to animations i could be playing 1.00 aswell, they are just as smooth for me, but i prefer 1.08.

But apparently you just dont believe me and think that im just lying here because im a so called fanboy, so ill leave it at this. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]Ok then.. Is it possible to record this with FRAPS (or a camera in case you are going to record yourself pressing buttons) or anything then? Because my controls respond *exactly* as fast as in OFP, the time between me pressing W and i'm running is *slightly* slower then in OFP because it takes a bit longer to get up to speed.

Hi i dont think there is need for proof ,maybe he simply does not like the fact that Bis style animations will play through till the end and that when you walk run or whaever you do the animation does not stop at the presice moment you remove your finger from the button ?

I personally have no problem with pressing the shift button to walk slowly ,some however do not and these people have a valid criticism in there own right i think, without being subjected to almost a torrent of abuse and almost name calling, such as this thread turned into and also your signature.

However you may justify your valiant defense of arma ,there comes a time when we must all sit back and remember people see and do things differently and accept it smile_o.gif.

I've also noticed that the OFP way of handling is much more responsive than ArmAs. It feels like you're battling the character to move where you want it instead of it cooperating with you. It's not a huge deal, but it's noticable, it makes just about everything harder. Not a lot harder, but enough to annoy you.

There was a bit of a learning curve when moving from OFP

anims to the ArmA ones.

The individual anims are fine, some are very good indeed (I

especially like the relaxed walking anim and the alert-walk

anim) but the transitions can be disjointed. The time it takes

to transition from one to another is annoying sometimes too

and makes some realistic player movements hard to do. For

example, trying to edge cautiously around a corner, or trying

to do the old "dash, down-&-roll then crawl" in ArmA feels like

your little guy is wearing a leaden suit, but I'm still delighted

that you can dash, down and roll at all in the game though!

Personally, I also miss some movement types that are not

supported by the anim set. There is no fast hands and knees

crawl, for instance (there was a useful fast crawl in OFP),

and a new key modifier enabling proper stealthy-creepy-

sneaky movements in all stances (without needing sights

glued to your eye) might be useful too.

Just lay down , target at a flying helicopter with your gun and you will see the problem... Don't go into ironsight view, just look.  wink_o.gif

It looks really freaky how he is holding his gun. rofl.gif

The problem is that they can raise the muzzle of their rifle to

an improbable angle while lying on their bellies (and still look

down the sights) an army of contortionists! Some revision of

the limits is definitely necessary there I think.

Oh, and shooting at aircraft with SA is usually done on one

knee so you can lead and swing through properly - hard to do

(for a normal human) while lying prone.

that when you walk run or whaever you do the animation does not stop at the presice moment you remove your finger from the button ?

Goddamned, thats my point, YOU DO STOP THE MOMENT YOU RELEASE THE BUTTON, IF THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN, YOU ARE THE VICTIM OF SOME BUG.

Quote[/b] ]Goddamned, thats my point, YOU DO STOP THE MOMENT YOU RELEASE THE BUTTON, IF THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN, YOU ARE THE VICTIM OF SOME BUG.

go to editor , put one man press w for one second.

release w and see if man stop dead or continue for 1 step or more.

if when you release w your man stops dead ,pls send me your animation.pbo because you have the only one ever released that stops instantly .

Quote[/b] ]Goddamned, thats my point, YOU DO STOP THE MOMENT YOU RELEASE THE BUTTON, IF THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN, YOU ARE THE VICTIM OF SOME BUG.

go to editor , put one man press w for one second.

release w  and see if man stop dead or continue for 1 step or more.

if when you release w your man stops dead ,pls send me your animation.pbo because you have the only one ever released that stops instantly .

I just timed it with the ingame watch, from sprinting to standing still is just over half a second, from running to standing still is a tad longer but still well within a second. (And sprinting with 26km/hour, then standing still and raising your weapon in just over half a second is very, very fast)

Note that this is the time for the transitions, not for the game to notice that i stopped pressing the button (which is instantly).

And its not my animation.pbo, its just how the game is supposed to work.