Sign in to follow this  
Patrocles

Does supressive fire work in ArmA game?

New ArmA player and poster here.

I play mostly Coop games since I have a low to nonexistence 'twitchfactor' and that makes me useless in head-to-head play! hehe This ArmAgame is definitely addictive but so buggy (read: crazy superkiller bots!) that I don't recommend it to my friends!

I did a search but came up empty for answers to my question...so here goes...

I thought this game was supposed to be realistic, but for the life of me I can't seem to be able to suppress enemy bots with a machine gun. I often spot an enemy and start firing at his position. He will note where fire is coming from (my position! :o ) smoothly and calmly point his gun and kill me with one or two shots. And the enemy bots can even do this after I wound them! :crazy:

second...how the hell do the smileys work? I click on the smileys on the left of the post screen, but it is only showing the html text...is this feature broken on this forum?

Thanks!

Linky.

Shooting at the enemy in the default game will probably make them lay down but the more you shoot the bigger treat you are to the enemy AI and they will have a high priority to take you out, however with the above scripts/addon it works very nice.

Linky.

Shooting at the enemy in the default game will probably make them lay down but the more you shoot the bigger treat you are to the enemy AI and they will have a high priority to take you out, however with the above scripts/addon it works very nice.

Thanks for the prompt response and the link.

Pardon my ignorance, but are you saying there is no suppressive fire in the Default game? If so, will this be included in an official patch or the expansion? I would think this would be a game priority. I'm not a military expert by any stretch of the imagination but I thought warfare was based on suppression and manuever? You suppress enemy and then outmaneuver him...or sumfink like that!

Oh, and does this suppression work in the opposite direction? I don't think it does in my short exposure to the game. I guess this would be trickier to implement since all ArmA players will claim to be rambo/greenberets/elites and that they can NEVER EVER become suppressed by gunfire directed at them! haha

Thanks!

:)

edit...now the smileys are working?! haha what a wacky forum!

Suppressive fire wont work as you would think in Arma and all you would be doing is be a big fat target for the aim bot AI who will home in on your gun fire like angry wasps from all angles.

These AI dont flee like OFP AI when under suppressive fire, they pick up your gun sound and immediately start flanking and then by time you know it you are dead. Best way to deal with Arma AI is shoot with accuracy and move to another location before they find you.

Yeah, I love using the M240, but the trick is to take them out quickly because there really is no suppressive fire in ArmA. They don't cower or make immediate attempts to find over (usually), they immediately return fire and flank you. I ran into a large group of AI from about 200m away, and I started belching out lead with the M240, and immediately after four of the enemy were killed, the AI returned fire with an ungodly amount of lead and I was dead. They were just in the middle of the road... Not a care in the world that four of their buddies just died from a hailstorm of 7.62mm bullets... They just killed me like the unemotional lifeless bastards they are. pistols.giftounge2.gif

supressive fire works good on players though. i know when i'm getting shot at i sure try to find cover and keep my head down pistols.gifcrazy_o.gif

AI still needs major tweaking but the fact that they fire back is perfectly ok to me. But after returning fire they should take cover and for god sakes they gotta stop the one shot pistol sniping you out of a chopper going 250km/h.

<off topic mode on>

This game reminds me much of ofp. It came out unplayable and got real good after a bunch of patches. I hope it will turn out that way as well. Maybe it would have been better if they had properly beta tested the game. Sometimes I even wonder if BIS devs even try their games at least few times before they release them. There are just so many evident small but annoying things that just kill the gameplay.

</end off topic mode>

About suppressing it doesnt work that bad for me as long as I am at least 500m from them, they get down and dont shoot back much. Still hit them pretty good with the m240 but its getting harder at that range.

Pardon my ignorance, but are you saying there is no suppressive fire in the Default game?  If so, will this be included in an official patch or the expansion?  I would think this would be a game priority.  I'm not a military expert by any stretch of the imagination but I thought warfare was based on suppression and manuever?  You suppress enemy and then outmaneuver him...or sumfink like that!

Nope its not in the default game, just install the addon and you will never notice that it wasnt in.

Quote[/b] ]These AI dont flee like OFP AI when under suppressive fire, they pick up your gun sound and immediately start flanking and then by time you know it you are dead. Best way to deal with Arma AI is shoot with accuracy and move to another location before they find you.

OFP AI couldnt be suppressed and AFAIK would only flee when x units in their group died.

When I cannot handle a large group heading towards me, I shoot allot of rounds at the enemy. So they go into combat mode and lay down and just try to act tactical.

In that time I get the hell out and find me another spot with more cover to attack them from.

Most of the time half or even the whole group will lay down first.

I think it should be done so that when the AI is getting more then a certain amount of bullets shot at them they should be "surpressed" and either try to retreat, or just be fixed at their position.

I think it should be done so that when the AI is getting more then a certain amount of bullets shot at them they should be "surpressed" and either try to retreat, or just be fixed at their position.

More important for game purposes (and presumably not a

huge leap in AI ability) would be a drastic reduction in volume

and accuracy of their return fire when "suppressed". Inhibited

movement would be good too, but since the AI has no idea

what cover is, notions of forcing them into cover are rather

meaningless in the context of the game.

The other equally important side of the coin is missing too. As

a section commander you cannot order an AI gunner to hold

down an enemy position with fire (eg. the notional, if not the

literal, equivalent of "Gun group, 300, church, left 7 o'clock,

gap in hedgerow, fire!") - he acts as a sharpshooter all

the time.

All of this is basic bread & butter infantry stuff and it's really

amazing that it was left out.

of "Gun group, 300, church, left 7 o'clock,

gap in hedgerow, fire!") - he acts as a sharpshooter all

the time.

Yeah, but its either hes a sharpshooter or he goes thrue all his mags. Because I believe you can set that, so that he fires more rounds each time. Forgot which things to change though. It was possible in ofp.

But real covering fire it hard to do, but there are substitutes offcourse. smile_o.gif

Guys, the fact that a talented person has released a script has got absolutely nothing to do with the problem that the default game has: it doesn't have suppressive fire. It should definitely be added as default in a patch and should have been in the game already.

More important for game purposes (and presumably not a

huge leap in AI ability) would be a drastic reduction in volume

and accuracy of their return fire when "suppressed". ...

Accuracy yes, volume I'm not sure. Even though they do shoot massive amount of lead at you when they are fired upon it seems pretty realistic to me. To force the attacker into cover and make him cease fire then maneuver to hit him back it's pretty much the way too do it.

Their accuracy and spotting abilities are just exagerated. I wonder if it would be possible for them to fire back in the general direction of the treath until they actualy do spot the attacker instead of instantly shooting back at him with deadly accuracy.

As for the rest I fully agree with you. thumbs-up.gif

Linky.

I downloaded the file but I'm hesitating on installing it at this time. Does this 'suppression script' work with Coop play if the other players are NOT running it?

Thanks!

Linky.

I downloaded the file but I'm hesitating on installing it at this time. Does this 'suppression script' work with Coop play if the other players are NOT running it?

Thanks!

The script is mission side,as in the mission maker places it in the mission.

So then all clients see it!

Edit :-

Actually i'm not sure now that there is a .PBO version! smile_o.gif

Linky.

I downloaded the file but I'm hesitating on installing it at this time.  Does this 'suppression script' work with Coop play if the other players are NOT running it?

Thanks!

Like ck-claw said, if you just use the script in the mission then its fully MP compitable, if you use the addon then there may be conflicts in MP, i suspect that the script will only work on groups who have a player in them with the addon installed, and if the server installs the addon then it will also work on fully AI controlled groups. (So basically all clients and the server should have the addon installed, but in public servers its better to just use the script so people dont need to download the addon first).

Oh! It's MP compatible atleast somehow, i was sure it wouldn't be atall. xmas_o.gif

EDIT: I don't have a glue about scripting for MP.

I noticed someone said that the AI doesn't flee. Yes, the AI does flee. I've noticed it myself several times. Usually if nearly the entire group is wiped out, the last few survivors, based on rank, will attempt to run away.

eventually they seem to rally, and come back into fighting agian.

Oh! It's MP compatible atleast somehow, i was sure it wouldn't be atall.  xmas_o.gif

EDIT: I don't have a glue about scripting for MP.

Oh, i assumed that it did work in MP..

I entered a server once with the addon still installed (accidentally), it seemed to work on our group, it confused everyone because we were suddenly getting orders out of 'nowhere'.

(It may be possible that if there are multiple players with the addon installed in the same group the script runs multiple times on the same group, but never tested that)