Sign in to follow this  
Arkon2

The Sahrani Run

Thanks for the feed back. The car vanishing happened right after the talk with the colonel. I drove around the town where hospital is i didn't use roads to get to the boat. Was i supposed to kill Draco some how, the last i saw him in the missions is a cutscene of him doing the war crime and driving off to base and thats it. Well what lighthouse are you talking about to assasinate the colonel the one thats on the other side of the island has guards there and if i kill them the colonel flyes out. Of course the guards at the base tried to stop me but since they are not real people but retarded ai it wasn't very hard to escape

Hi adadaead,

*SPOILER WARNING!*

I have sorted the car vanishing thingy - it was my delete script that forgot to see if the player was using one of the vehicles being deleted.

You drove around the beaches? did nobody try to stop you?

There are clues re finding Draco - and some rewards for killing him.

The lighthouse at the other end of the island only has one guy on it (he can be taken out as he is so far away from the base) - the other guys are just a patrol who move off pretty soon.

hmmm... retarded guards, I'll have to have a word with them smile_o.gif

Thanks

Regards

Arkon2

Hi CharveL

Quote[/b] ]Did the ambulance base thing and it did show up this time however it decided not to leave either.

I think the ambulance bug is solved now - you would need to download the new version V 1.07 (do not use old saved games though)

Regards

Arkon2

loaded up the mission and can't get past the starting map screen. None of the buttons work to see the objects, start, or cancel the mission. Had to alt-tab out of ArmA and close the game to get out of the screen.

Hi DayGlow,

Thanks for letting me know about the bug - its fixed now, but you will need to download V 1.08...

Thanks again

Arkon2

Unfortunately I can't see part 2 of this mission. I just can't spend the hours to go through the whole first part only to find loading in the saved game crashes every time.

Maybe this is the savegame bug where it has problems with lots of globals in the mission (or so from what I've been reading).

Maybe the next patch. confused_o.gif

Hi CharveL,

Thanks for letting me know...

Quote[/b] ]Unfortunately I can't see part 2 of this mission.

Sorry to hear that sad_o.gif Are you not getting through to Part two at all?

Is this a save in Part one or Part two and which part are you in when you try to load the saved game?

Also is this autosave or your own save?

Had you reloaded Arma before trying to load the saved game?

Any other info?

This was a save game from Version 1.08 I assume?

I have put some hints in the first post re saving games etc.

Have not got that many Globals... this is the first save game crash reported so far...

Regards

Arkon2

Hey, Arkon2!!

First of all... THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS MISSION!! It just was awesome, definetely one of the maybe 3 best mission for ArmA, I played so far (and I tried many missions!wink_o.gif. THIS is the type of missions, I've waited for, since the beginnings of ArmA. It really felt like Abandoned Armies from OPF.

Proceeding I have to say, that you really made me fall in love with Sahrani. smile_o.gif Just because of the length of the mission! The only part, I took a vehicle, was between Arcadia and Iguana. The rest of the mission I went on foot (expect the end with the boat, of course). It was wonderful!!! After being a critic concerning Sahrani, I learned, that you really have to get involved with this island...

I hope, that you're going on to the next mission soon!

Ok, here some points that I wanted to write:

***SPOILER AHEAD!***

I played V. 1.06 too, and as adadaead already said, the extraction heli did not come to the island... sad_o.gif But it is ok, considering, that the mission ends just after embarking the heli (as you said).

Beside of this bug, I didnt encounter no other one (except some notes, that this or that sound cannot be played...), you already brought the mission to a good status.

But there is a thing, I really liked to know...

What is it all about this betrayer, that tells everything to the russians? Because Major Cabo affirms, that after the General was killed, they would provide all required information about the betrayer. But nothing happened, I didnt become any information.

Maybe, this is related to the extraction-heli-bug? Or did I just forget a part of the long story?

Or does this information come from another part or place? If yes, dont tell, how to find it, I want to do it for myself. And I still have to find our little friend Draco and drink a cold beer with him... Accentuation on cold...

I read about killing the General from the lighttower smile_o.gif Very interesting way, didnt think about this.

I made it a little bit different, I sneaked at the "cluster of three houses" (btw. a very good idea with the agent and the ammo!!wink_o.gif and grabbed the Stinger... Then I sneaked back to the boat and drove to the two little islands just east of Isla del Vida. From there I just began shooting the guard-towers of the base and waited for the General to embark his helicopter. Then I shot it down with the Stinger and it fell in the sea... smile_o.gif

Once again, thank you very much for the mission!!

Hi undeceived,

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Its good to hear your nice comments cos it took at least 1000 hours work to do this mission so its great to hear from people who enjoyed playing it. smile_o.gif

Good also to hear that you did most of the mission on foot (alot of lazy dudes don't like having to walk anywhere) biggrin_o.gif

*SPOILER WARNING!*

Quote[/b] ]I played V. 1.06 too, and as adadaead already said, the extraction heli did not come to the island

Yup sorry that you did not see the end of the mission, should be ok in Version 1.08

Quote[/b] ] (except some notes, that this or that sound cannot be played...)

Don't suppose you can remember whereabouts this happened - may be fixed in subsequent versions

Quote[/b] ]What is it all about this betrayer, that tells everything to the russians?

This is all wrapped-up in the final scenes when the pick-up has occured

Quote[/b] ]And I still have to find our little friend Draco and drink a cold beer with him

Clues in the Warcrimes cutscene and in the Action Menu text that appears after the cutscene as to how to find him

Quote[/b] ]Then I sneaked back to the boat and drove to the two little islands just east of Isla del Vida

Very well thought out plan smile_o.gif

DId you see what else happened after the assassination or did you leave the area pretty quick?

If you decide to do the mission again - its probably best to use V 1.08 - there are quite a few bits and pieces going on in different places and some stuff that only happens when the player makes certain choices. Its also a challenge to try to get into the camp to do the assassination. (may be worth reading the readme notes on SAVING, RESTARTING & BETA TESTING NOTES.)

Its a pretty long, complicated and involved mission so it needs lots of playtesting and I am grateful to you for giving me your valuable feedback smile_o.gif

Thanks again

Regards

Arkon2

Just a short note as I start v1.08. There's an error that occurs in the Helicopter at the beginning before he reads his orders. Something about clearCargo (generic expression error).

It doesn't appear to affect anything though.

- why do you put in a lonesomewolf-mission only non-silenced-weapons to the main-character?

Why not begin with a slienced m9? It would open a bunch of new tactical possibilities.

- i m opinion this geo-chaching-thingy (get at area A the information 1, at area B the information 2, at area C the information 3, ... known in german as "Schnitzeljagd")

is a bit exhausting and overworked because i realy think that this cant occur at a reallife-mission

(maybe you are too inspired from s.t.a.l.k.e.r. or something like that).

Hi wolfsblut_

Thanks for your comments...

Quote[/b] ]why do you put in a lonesomewolf-mission only non-silenced-weapons to the main-character?

Silenced weapons would not make a real difference in Part one of the mission - in Part two the character can obtain a silenced weapon in one of the sub-missions, this would be helpful later in the mission (tactically), but not an essential ingredient.

Quote[/b] ] i m opinion this geo-chaching-thingy (get at area A the information 1, at area B the information 2, at area C the information 3, ... known in german as "Schnitzeljagd")

is a bit exhausting and overworked because i realy think that this cant occur at a reallife-mission

Hmmmm... well, this is a matter of taste i believe - some players will and some players will not (look at comments in the thread for independent views). This mission was created with this type of "step by step" progress in mind - as for realism, I think that the character could well only be told things on a need to know basis and as the story unfolds you realize why.

Quote[/b] ](maybe you are too inspired from s.t.a.l.k.e.r. or something like that)

Erm... I have never played s.t.a.l.k.e.r. so I'm afraid that I cannot be inspired by it.

Anyways, thanks again for your comments and I hope you found some redeeming aspects to the mission whilst playing it.

Regards

Arkon2

Hi Arkons,

I've discovered something that might explain a number of problems this mission has been having. It appears to relate to the ARMA so called "save bug".

This is what I found.

I finished playing the other night and today when I went back to the mission, ie. load arma and hit "RESUME" I got an error:

"Value/" is not a class {"oid" accessed}

I've seen this a couple of times before but not realised how it affected the game till now.

Firstly the nature of the error I believe could be anything, the problem is that some variables get lost and the consequences were pretty dire and could affect the whole mission from there on.

In my case these are the things that were affected.

1) My health was perfect where I had some damage when the exit save was performed.

2) I could no longer delete any of the actions that were installed to do with briefings etc. Eg. Saltzman's briefing.

3) I had a health pack present whereas this wouldn't be on the action menu unless I was damaged. Clearly this was the case but my health after this error was perfect. Unable to use the health pack, nothing happens. It should use the health pack regardless of whether you are damaged or not.

NOW WHAT I'VE DISCOVERED.

Firstly this should be referred to as a "LOAD" bug and not a "SAVE" bug because I've established that there is nothing wrong with the saved files. That includes all three types of saved files : the autosave, the exit save and the manual save.

The culprit turns out to be the RESUME. This error only happened when resuming. After a resume hitting esc and then either loading my manual save or selecting RETRY loaded the save game without any error.

After which everything was hunky dory. I believe that this bug dropping info / variables or states when loading could cause a plethora of untraceable problems and would certainly explain why some people have not had problems that others have had.

It is IMPORTANT therefore to observe this restart method as once you continue the mission and save or autosave you will permanently affect everything from thereon.

Hope this helps, I've by no means gone into this or any other variations that may happen exhaustively but this is certainly the solution for when those resume errors come up after a load. There could easily be other factors hiding in the bushes ... so to speak.  wow_o.gif

Hi louis,

Thanks for that comprehensive analysis smile_o.gif

Could probably do with a thread of its own.

Regards

Arkon2

Well I'm playing the 1.08 version of this campaign but I'm having the Ambulance problem that doesn't leave the base.

I infiltrate the base and I don't kill anyone and I think that nobody sees me (at least the alarm doesn't go off) and the Ambulance (M113) is on the base and I manage to board in the back of it but the ambulance never leaves the base! I waited (with the help of time advance) something like an entire hour and nothing happens (the ambulance never leaves the base).

I see one man (of which I don't know if he should be the driver?) inside a medical tent near a dead body and that man doesn't manage to leave the tent (despite sometimes he seems to try to move from his position).

So I'm asking here, is there any sugestion that might solve my problem. Thanks in advance for replies...

Don't get me wrong but I think that campaign builders should perhaps stop making such objectives because first of all infiltration in ArmA is simply porked and sucks and then this special objectives usually don't work because there is always something that fails. IMO, a solution for this Ambulance thing would be to make a intro movie when the player reaches and boards the ambulance in which the player would watch the ambulance leaving the base and reaching it's destination and the player would restart playing directly from the destination point. This IMO would solve this unfortunate issue which IMO is killing this otherwise and so far awesome campaign!

Hi ricnunes,

*SPOILER WARNING!*

Sorry to hear of your Ambulance woes... confused_o.gif

Firstly the Medic in the tent is not the Ambulance driver - he is in the tent at the far end, by the two guys looking at the map.

I thought we had sorted this problem huh.gif

Have you read the "IMPORTANT PLEASE READ" notes in the first post? They may have been added since you started playing. (best to read all the notes)

This may explain why the program may have "forgotten" the variable associated with the ambulance driver as there is a forced save when you approach the Ambulance depot.

Quote[/b] ]IMO, a solution for this Ambulance thing would be to make a intro movie when the player reaches and boards the ambulance in which the player would watch the ambulance leaving the base and reaching it's destination and the player would restart playing directly from the destination point.

Actually, a cutscene kicks in when the driver gets in the Ambulance.

Quote[/b] ]So I'm asking here, is there any sugestion that might solve my problem

Hmmmm... if the above does not help - there are other ways, you could try to cross through Corazo stealthily - but the easiest would be to get a boat and cross to the north, but you would have to backtrack to do that and the patrol boat that appears at the pier is patrolling around the coast somewhere huh.gif

There is another boat up the end of the Iguana river but this too is quite a long way back (might be best to start again with V1.09) - although it would be a sub-mission in itself as you would need to re-fuel it to reach the north (HINT: look for the Oil Depot on the map).

Thanks for getting back to me with this problem.

Anyways, sorry again, but I hope you can sort something out to continue...

EDIT: at 12.30pm Weds:

I have just added a workaround for V 1.09 - but you would obviously have to start again - the workaround can be found in the text when you visit the pier.

Please let me know how you get on.

Regards

Arkon2

Hi Arkon,

After reading your post I tried the load game suggestion posted in the Important Notes but again without success. What happens is that the driver never boards the M-113 (ambulance), so I'm basically "stuck" inside the ambulance.

By the way, is the driver the one dressed as an Officer? If that's the one (or any other soldier in the base for that matter) it never moves from it's position!

I see that if things go ok, I should see a cutscene but what I previously suggested with cutscene, was a trigger that once you board the M-113 the cutscene with the ambulance getting the to Corazol should kick in NO matter what and this same cutscene should never be dependent on how the AI behaves and should even IMO be independed whether you kill or not any guards. This should avoid bugs and strange issues. But of course this is only my oppinion.

It's really a petty that this isn't working for me. The only thing that I didn't try so far, was to restart with version 1.09.

Hi ricnunes,

*SPOILER WARNING!*

Quote[/b] ]After reading your post I tried the load game suggestion posted in the Important Notes but again without success

Sorry to hear that... sad_o.gif

Ok, but did you use resume at any time when playing?

If so then your saved game maybe "corrupted" and this could cause the kind of problems you are experiencing.

Quote[/b] ]cutscene should never be dependent on how the AI behaves

The cutscene is not dependent on AI - it is a variable in a waypoint that permits the Medic to enter the ambulance - this is set by a trigger the player sets-off - but as i said above the variable may been "forgotten"...

If you enjoyed playing the Campaign, then I can only suggest that you start again with V 1.09 and use the notes that you read earlier on saving/loading etc (V 1.09 has got a workaround if needed as I mentioned earlier). And you had only done about 40% of the Campaign - also there are quite a few different paths from the start to Corazo + quite a few changes in the new version.

Again, please let me know how you get on.

Just one more thought - this Campaign is in the Beta testing stage and as such can be a pain at times - but obviously I want people to enjoy the experience. smile_o.gif

Regards

Arkon2

Ok, but did you use resume at any time when playing?

If so then your saved game maybe "corrupted" and this could cause the kind of problems you are experiencing.

Well I only use resume when I start Armed Assault and want to continue to play the campaign. Except for the first time I load the campaign I never use resume, I only use Load or Load Auto.

Please don't get me wrong I enjoy this campaign very much and I know that's a free campaign in which of course bug are normal (even in commercial products bugs are unfortunally "normal") and I'm trully thankfull for this campaign. The objective of these posts of mine are to help you improving this already great campaign.

Hi ricnunes,

Thanks for getting back...

Quote[/b] ]Well I only use resume when I start Armed Assault and want to continue to play the campaign

Well, this could be the problem as once you use a resume then the file is kapput for ever sad_o.gif

Best to start again...

And yes I am very grateful for the feedback you have given - in-fact as a direct result of your feedback I have added the workaround so people can still continue playing biggrin_o.gif

Anyways, let me know what (if anything) you decide to do and how you get on.

Thanks again

Regards

Arkon2

Hi Arkon2 ,

just started your mission and so far I can only say: VERY NICE and Very IMPRESSIV.

I am more or less at the beginning, but just found a little thing you might change (maybe it has a reason, but I am not sure):

West of the town CAYO are two small areas with trucks and (oil)barrels. The one in the north has a searchlight and two soldiers and and officer ... I wanted to takeout the searchlight guy and realized that it is a WEST unit ... after taking him down ... the east officer started to shot at the searchlight smile_o.gif

Just a very little thing but maybe you can replace the guy with a new release...

I go on playing now smile_o.gif

THX for this mission.

Regards benus

Hi benus,

Thanks for the feedback smile_o.gif

Yup, this is because there is no EAST Searchlight so I had to fiddle things around a bit - the east officer shooting at the searchlight is an ArMa bug. Anyways, I will try to do summint about it.

Please remember to read the notes: "IMPORTANT PLEASE READ" and "SAVING, RESTARTING & BETA TESTING NOTES" in the ReadMe.

Thanks for letting me know about this - glad u like the Campaign so far - It would be good if you can send some more feedback if you get the time.

Regards

Arkon2

Anyways, let me know what (if anything) you decide to do and how you get on.

Thanks again

Regards

Arkon2

I did an another try where I backed up my savegames (both save and auto save) did revert (instead of resume) and placed the savegames back into the correct folder and loaded the game (using in-game Load option) but the results were the same.

So I decided that I will install version 1.09 and restart the campaign.

Hi ricnunes

Thanks for the reply:

Don't forget about not using RESUME...

Hope it works out for u this time..

As usual any feedback appreciated.

Regards

Arkon2

I think you can set the searchlight to EAST if you edit the mission.sqm...