Sign in to follow this  
Gigi

A.I. =  Very hard

Yes, I have opened that before...i just pasted it at the top of my info and gonna give it a go, i'll report back in a sec...

whistle.gif

Update:

Works ok, still got shot in the eye from 100meters by an ak47...could I lower it to .400000?

Also, why do you suppose part of my config file was missing? Anyone else hear of this, or have a similar problem...it does worry me a bit, I do get an error that states: DRVUsound not found or something....

confused_o.gif

But that for the help Op notworthy.gif

I think it's too easy to hit from the players side too. I mean nobody hits that good in real life. There's no room for firefights, and cover means nothing. You just see the mid line under their head and poof from 200m away!

It's like a duel in some western town. Who shoots first?

.......and well uhm...micromanagment... the horror... like...1st step...all get down... and then for each and every squadmember...

..........use squad-members according to their "useful" weapon range...

...........micromanage a bounding overwatch theme into your squad ... put a sniper and machinegunner into a good position to overwatch your squads movement... or send a sniper ahead in stealth mode + hold fire............

Well written post. Thanks for your insight. Your suggestions also make sense for human fire teams. Team success is all about micromanagement. Also can i suggest 'shoot', to help with giving the AI orders. Maybe there  is in game  coms  for this but i havent looked.

Well, micromanagement is very important, when you command your AI wisely, you have the advantage over your enemy ( I've seen ppl in ArmA, who just run with their AI, not only without any logical micromanagement, but also without giving their men any orders at all). But still, there are situations, where you spent 3/4 mission's time just to give right orders, possition your AI in right places etc. and they f*ck everything up, dying one by one, because of their tunnel FOV, slowness or blindness.

fish44 thnx for the nice words smile_o.gif

funnyguy.... well... right... once your positions...or plan gets compromised (ha these little people have a mind of their own *lol*) it is usually game over... one of the downfalls of opf / armed assault... it is very difficult to order an ai squad to "break contact" *sigh*... without loosing 3/4 of your squad whilst doing so wink_o.gif

about just "running around" with your squad smile_o.gif

well i try to roleplay being a squadleader... and that includes imho to (at least) try to keep those virtual toy soldiers alive... and not "rambo-ing" it myself...

had a weird moment in opf lately...trying to clear a village... one squad vs one squad... almost managed to destroy the other squad without own losses...almost... one guy died ... he tried to throw a handgrenade (HE TRIED...AARGHS) ...instead hitting the enemy positions he hit the housewall direct infront of him and blew himself up... i was like ... oh... huh?

but that is what makes opf/armed assault interesting and fun to play imho... smile_o.gif

AI= very easy.  goodnight.gif  Give it some time and you will learn how the ai come at you.

What about Evolution? Where the AI dont come at you, you come at them....

Would I be more scared of 10 human opponents coming at me or 10 AIs? In this respect the AIs are easy. People shoot just about as accurately as AIs plus or minus a bit. Play a PvP game and you're not reasonably safe until you're 1000m away.

A lot of what makes the single player so frustrating is the setup of both the friendly and enemy forces. Firstly, on your side you generally are set up to fail. Crappy weapons, few mags, all M4AIMs, 12 satchels when 2 would do, etc. You get poor positioning and little time and room to maneuver often. The number and skill of your forces are low, no air or indirect fire, light armor, etc.

Secondly the enemy forces usually vastly outclass your own, possibly 10:1 or more. A company of armor and only a few self-defense AT4s to deal with them at best.

Most video gamers and mission designers (including BIS) seem to think that 30:1 are even (if not good) odds for the player. Don't you think that way too. A squad against 2 platoons of infantry and a platoon of tanks? Time to run away, not charge over an empty field guns ablaze.

Micromanagement to the extreme is not always required to make an effective AI friendly force. Take a cue from modern military and makes teams, use teams as logical maneuvering elements, and read a field manual or two.

I've found teams of 2, 3, and 4 make good maneuver elements. Have 8 AI? Put them into 4 buddy teams and have 2 stationary and watching threat zones at all times. Many many times I've had a maneuvering AI buddy team spot a bad guy and the stationary buddy team takes them out faster than the moving team can even stop and aim.

Keep a M249 and a grenadier in the back, possibly an AT4 too. Keep up front with your leader quick response rifles. Don't let the teams get more than 100m apart. Use the advance and fallback commands to alternate teams to create a traveling overwatch condition with you in the center. It adjusts the formation. Get real friendly with the Alt-watch-direction command.

Eventually you can start overcomming equal or slightly bigger forces by going slow and always having cover for maneuver. There is a point where you're going to want to hook up with some tactically minded humans and really start cleaning up.

When attacking AI, don't consider them to be stupid and you'll be fine. Think of them as people who really want you dead. Don't shoot more than a few seconds from one location. Pop up, target, shoot, duck behind the ridge and go sideways, count to 5, pop up somewhere else. Lather rinse repeat. It's much better to overestimate the AI's intelligence than to underestimate it.

Make sure to reveal all targets to the AI before opening fire. This makes sure your side has a good database of targets to shoot quickly. Engage at your best effective range and at the enemy's worst. If you have snipers and they have AK47s, stand off. If they have GP25s and you have SAWs, get up close.

Plan for the worse. What if a BMP2 shows up, where will you exit. Keep your medic in the back but still coving a flank or rear. Place units so if they go prone they will be safe. Alternate who is shooting and who is hiding so the enemy's attention isn't on one team for long.

Attack the smallest enemy force with your biggest force. If there's a patrol wandering through a fixed group of enemy, consider letting the patrol go far so you can take smaller bites.

Make your AI reload between battles. Have advancing elements move in stealth mode.