Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

your own settings, Cheat?!

I didn't want to post this in someone thread because it could get Of Topic.

It could become a debate about it, so i creat this thread for that specific debate, instead of spaming other threads.

@Moderators: If Moderators decide this thread is useless, please close it.

I would like to know and see people opinions, about the personal options/setting, that came recently in matters of cheating.

Some say that using no grass is cheating, giving more advantage to those who use it.

Some also say that Full Night Vision is also cheating, giving more advantage in periferic view.

I say that the Optic zoom can be also cheating, because it can be configured and set by any player.

And I say that the Optic Zoom can be also cheating, because it can be configured by any player. IE, zoom in aim points, agocs, binos etc.. can be changed by the player by its taste.

you can check them in very mods around like trueview or truemods. Actually in these mods they make it more realistic, the zoom is reduced abit. Though i like them i have worst zoom in weapon with this mods then with the original BIS settings.

If people use different seetings or personalize them, imagine extreem zoom, that would be cheating no?

As if i could easilly kill a soldier at 1000m with an aimpoit. wink_o.gif

I my self like to use small zoom in aimpoints, like in TrueMods because aim point does not zoom as BIS set in version 1.08.

So i say people that use these kinda zoom are also cheating.

So, it can be really patetic saying that a player is cheating because the mods or settings they use.

I play with people that I know on passworded servers so I'm not concerned with the notion of cheating. Most of the enhancements I've seen are based around fixing the game so people see what they want to see, making it a better looking game.

Not all enhancements give an advantage, for example my smoke effects addon will give a distinct DISadvantage for MP play, on the other hand they'll get a better looking game biggrin_o.gif

But you should treat any public server as having suspect gameplay.

The zoom you talk about and othe things has to be modified vida addon. If this happens on a server then its the server owners faught for not having it checking files. Anyone with a modified addon will show up as they are connecting.

just what we need is another thread about cheating.  banghead.gif

I supposed those players with 24" monitors are cheating because they are have a larger field of view then those who use a 17" monitor.

And Track_Ir is cheating too, eh?

come on people, use some common sense here!

goodnight.gif

You're very good at not actually paying attention to what other people are saying, bravo6. I already suggested there is a distinction between things that the game already allows you the means to change - like 1st/3rd person view, detail settings, resolutions. etc, and things which require you to edit files.

Unless I missed the point somewhere big time, your propsoed full-screen NVG view requires you to change files. It also gives you an advantage. 'Nuff said.

Making bushes low poly count by reducing detail levle is in the game menus, it improves you fps sure but it doesn't actually give you an actual advantage over other players...therefore that isn't cheating.

How about throwing in some more examples...suppose you modify the foliage texture to make it see-through. That would be cheating.

Suppose you change weapon parameters to make them more powerful. That would be cheating.

Suppose you change zoom levels to allow yourself to see further without needing binoculars or a sniper rifle...that would be cheating.

Suppose you change zoom levels so you see less far as you describe...tricky...my first thought is that is not cheating as it doesn't give you a concrete advantage. But then I think: it gives you a disadvantage at longer range but an advantage at intermediate range...if the advantage outweighs the advantage, maybe it is cheating.

Suppose you change the ground colour to pure white so that enemies stand out better against it...cheating.

Suppose you change lighting levels, so that whilst other players are playing a night mission it just looks like normal daylight to you...cheating.

Believe me, I've had all these discussions long ago in the world of HalfLife and CounterStrike, and I've seen more players using more different kinds of cheating than you can maybe imagine, and it gets old fast. Including the argument that "because I've got a crappy PC/internet connection/monitor/mouse/whatever it's only fair for me to use other means of gaining an advantage to make up for it".

For the record, I didn't exactly call you a cheat. I expressed an opinion that using full-screen NVG would be cheating. It's up to you whether you use such modifications in online play or not, and whether you care what my opinion is.

Note: I'm not sure how much anti-cheat technology is in ArmA, and how much of the above is actually possible.

-Ziggy- @ Aug. 08 2007,20:49)]just what we need is another thread about cheating. banghead.gif

I supposed those players with 24" monitors are cheating because they are have a larger field of view then those who use a 17" monitor.

goodnight.gif

thats exactly where i want to get.

its patetic when people say people are cheating because the way the rader play..

This thread was created for those who dont understand why people change their settings.

edit: typo

edit2: @ShrubMiK, i apreciate all your info, and feedback. All i want to to say is that some modified configs are not ment to cheat. They ment to improve pleasure while playing ArmA without "REALLY" cheating.

The answer should be obvious to most but Bravo 6. Yes goddammit it's cheating.   banghead.gif

What you like to hear "bravo 6 is not cheating"? It's on yourself how you like to play the SP game.

And yes nearly all weapons have an Picatinny rail and maybe BIS can add the Aimpoint 3XMag as an option.... so anybody in ArmA can easily switch from CQB to semi-sniping and back. whistle.gif

late again goodnight.gif

i feel that using nograss against ai isnt cheating because the ai knows where you are regardless of the grass. against humans it is cheating, unless all sides have it off.

as far as zoom goes.. i think its more of a fakey thing that a cheat.

what im talking about is, after you bring up your weapon sights...you zoom in further with the sights still up. to me thats totaly fake.

i feel that using nograss against ai isnt cheating because the ai knows where you are regardless of the grass. against humans it is cheating, unless all sides have it off.

what im talking about is, after you bring up your weapon sights...you zoom in further with the sights still up. to me thats totaly fake.

right on the spot. wink_o.gif

well using 32BIT HDR which only disable sunflare is cheating i suppost, but it looks wayyy better and it gets me out of annoying 8BIT HDR bugs,

this is something that BI HAVE TO fix in patches, but notthing i could do for now

back on NVG, i dunno your pass, non do i know if you have acturally looking into a real one b4 so i could only speak of myself. i have been lucky enought to have a look in a PVS-7 NVG sometime ago, and what i think, after a few mins of WOW effect for how good i can see in dark, i find that i have to keep turning my head around inorder to know clearly what happened, it doesnt matter on how much the screen fill your view, its about how much FOV the lens gives you

the reason for that is that basically you have about 160 degrees of FOV(120 degrees are the things that you will pay attention to), but once with NVG on it will limit to about 60 to 70 max, just about the same size of a 4:3 normal computer screen

-Ziggy- @ Aug. 08 2007,21:49)]just what we need is another thread about cheating.  banghead.gif

goodnight.gif

He has a point, i can modifie my zoom in ability to be even better then that of the M24/XM107. Think of having the ability to snipe targets at 1000m with an M4? Or M16 ACOG.

So while he has a point, other mods also create disadvantages. But then again, those are a personal choice.

right on the spot. wink_o.gif

Have you guys missed all the discussions about that before? Grass works since 1.05 against both humans and AI. I am not going to bother explaining it in more detail again icon_rolleyes.gif

And as for the zoom, surely your actual eyesight is better than what you see on a monitor? Hence the need for zoom. Again, this has been explained in detail before so I'm not going to bother here.

This has been discussed to death before. If you're interested, maybe you should search for the older discussions.

Changing settings is generally not considered to be cheating, because anyone can do it. Anyway I believe that the long-distance-grass-overlay-texture is still rendered, even on very low terrain detail, so the advantage in this case is negligable. Bravo 6, I think we may have had a misunderstanding, as Synide pointed out. I was talking about removing the actual bushes (not the grass) by modding the maps. I think you were just talking about grass, right?

Changing settings is generally not considered to be cheating, because anyone can do it. Anyway I believe that the long-distance-grass-overlay-texture is still rendered, even on very low terrain detail, so the advantage in this case is negligable. Bravo 6, I think we may have had a misunderstanding, as Synide pointed out. I was talking about removing the actual bushes (not the grass) by modding the maps. I think you were just talking about grass, right?

yes! grass, that anoying little thing that lags all computers! confused_o.gif

i say this because there are some servers that demand it, and im force to not go there due to lag unfortunatly.

Last time i was on 6thsenser my computer shutdown it self.. and i didnt had a shutdown like that in 3 months due to overheat (vegetation)

I must admit sometimes i like the grass, but only when i dont lag (rarelly) sad_o.gif

Gras is also nice for pics smile_o.gif

The user option of Grass on/off is over ridden by the Server Grass on/off setting, if the servers got it set.

Same with view distance, the server setting take control unless there is an option to set your view distance in the map your playing on a server. If you have your viewdistance set to 10k in your own game, its worth squat if the servers config has a max view distance of 3k set.

The server option of tracers on/off needs fixing though as it doesnt work at all.

Quote[/b] ]The server option of tracers on/off needs fixing though as it doesnt work at all.

Are you sure abou this ? I've played on a couple of servers where tracers were disabled (leading to lots of comments along the lines of "WTF - my tracers have gone - going to reboot game" ;-) )

Quote[/b] ]The server option of tracers on/off needs fixing though as it doesnt work at all.

Are you sure abou this ? I've played on a couple of servers where tracers were disabled (leading to lots of comments along the lines of "WTF - my tracers have gone - going to reboot game" ;-) )

Was fixed in 1.08 so it works now.

Strange, still have tracers on our server and its set to off in the server config on 1.08

Works when I test it in SP. Remember it is called rifle bullet tracers, heavy machine guns will still have tracers.

Same with view distance, the server setting take control unless there is an option to set your view distance in the map your playing on a server. If you have your viewdistance set to 10k in your own game, its worth squat if the servers config has a max view distance of 3k set.

This is the most ridiculous thing ever.

Yes, I understand, that it's here to balance the game, so the guy with 10k view distance won't have advantage against guy with view distance 2k, but forcing guy with view distance 500m (yes, it's me) to 1500m is just totally stupid whistle.gif .

Yes, I understand, that it's here to balance the game, so the guy with 10k view distance won't have advantage against guy with view distance 2k, but forcing guy with view distance 500m (yes, it's me) to 1500m is just totally stupid whistle.gif .

Do you actually have any performance gain with 500m viewdistance as opposed to 1200m (the default, and the one most MP missions use)? In my tests I never had any FPS gain. Just wondering if it does help anyone.

Test it with FRAPS in singleplayer if you can.

There are a lot of things in the game that are odd when it comes to multiplayer options.

on testing the viewdistance option on our server, if we set a medium distyance on the server, the server performance suffers badly with a number of players, where as we set a short distance, but incorperate a view distance option into a map so a user can select his own distance the server performance is unaffected as the load is shifted from the server to the Client for the view distance processing. As I said, this game has odd things about it.

Do you actually have any performance gain with 500m viewdistance as opposed to 1200m (the default, and the one most MP missions use)? In my tests I never had any FPS gain. Just wondering if it does help anyone.

Test it with FRAPS in singleplayer if you can.

Yes, not much gain - about 3 FPS, but when your FPS in forest is 5, it's quite noticeable.

there are always manners to resolve this problem.

its up to mission makers, they can input some option in game so people can define and set their own viewdistance.

Atm im using them for setAirviewdistance for the pilots wink_o.gif

ie, pilots and specifi units can change the view distance. In this case the air viewdistance. Pilots now can have more enjoyment while flying. Though ground forces have small setviewdistance.