Sign in to follow this  
BloodOmen

ArmA Queens Gambit Packshot Winner ????

Oh well...why i'm not surprised?...to all the others, i know it's not nice at all to see your work beated by some less quality 5min screenshot (winner doesnt even owns the screenshot "rights"), but that's why i dont usually participate in contests...u never know what's the jury likes...

Congrats! to the winner anyway...

I'm not so annoyed at the winner... I'm annoyed at the standard of judging... the results after all were supposed to be announced on Monday. Anyone who's familiar with Photoshop can see how little effort is required to produce results similar to the winning packshot.

How to win in under 10 minutes

yeah... an I know I forgot the lens flare, but my subconcious mind rebelled against using it.

The logo has a Photoshop outer glow layer effect applied to it...with default settings, default colour. Geez.

Didn't the rating system count for anything? 2.4?

edit: I've only now watched JohnMalcolm's vid. It is the default layer style. Oh well.. Marketing people don't know their PS.

The logo has a Photoshop outer glow layer effect applied to it...with default settings, default colour. Geez.

sure looks that way.

The rating system was bugged from the start though. A simple click once on the one you like (and log your IP so you couldn't vote again) system would have been better - not the weird system whereby all your positive votes (from a very large ArmA community) could be wiped out by some idiot repeatedly clicking on 1 star.

Some of you guys can be total assholes when you want and some just are all the time.

I'm quite disappointed with their decision, i would of liked to hope the decision team up in their cosy little office, would of chosen something more creative and appealing to the general public, if they wanted to boost sales and public awareness of the original game.

The community all knows about it, so it wont effect us, and yes it is very nice of them to include the community to take part in the design cover, however the average shopper wont be inspired to pick up the cover and investigate with a front cover of the winning design in my opinion.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the community to decide who the winner is? Or is that too risky?

With the limited and basic marketing program they had for arma, one would of considered that 505 would of used something with a little more color and taste, with more "sell value" to retain the loss at the start with Arma. And to collect new customers and gamers to the community.

There are only so many expansion packs you can get away with, that includes re-skinning original existing units and adding new missions before the "wow" factor gets old and dies.

I guess this wasn't the case, nor their main interest. Bad move i feel on their behalf.

confused_o.gif

seems a lot of work just to fix the ai bridge bug .

welcome.gif

8ca484c02a5b47aa1c2bf419f229edf2.jpg

My entry, got half way through this post when i saw the real winner and not that shitty single screenshot.

Not bad and it suits ArmA. I never remember seeing it in the comp. Can anyone provide details on who won ??

Ive checked the gallery 3 times and i cant see that anywhere .....

Im probely blind  yay.gif      or did the comp just take a flying f**k out the window ??  

No one has acutally said what this guys name is, just the " winner " huh.gif

They wouldnt make us spend time making that, then make one themselves .... would they ... . !? !? !?  crazy_o.gif

I think that 505 game's version will have the contest winner (unless we mass-riot), However, other publishes may use other box art. Personally.. I'd go for BIS's.... the overglared slowmotion soldier shows NOTHING of the game, exept that the grass WILL become blurry at some point of zoom icon_rolleyes.gif

I hope they use BIS's cover. A large amount of emails from us may change 505's mind. The marketing department would have to be incredibly stupid to ignore people reactions to the cover, especially considering how little work went into it.

BloodOmen, that cover looks amazing! Got a hi-Res shot I can have a look at, at all? smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]To 505 Games,

The community of ArmA has reacted very dissapointed when they saw the packshot chosen for the ArmA expansion: Queen's gambit. And also I wonder what publishes prints a package which DOES show gras pixelation but not the 2048X2048 textures on the unit.

Moreover, the person that made this packshot winner did not make the screen himself, and from the looks of it, didn't even bothered to change any of the "default" photoshop effects he used on it (glare, etc). Compared to people that took the time to animate and render ArmA models in an external professional program (maya and the likes) to get the best possible results, I find this rather tasteless. are you sure you made the right decision?

Regards, Deniz Car

send in from HERE smile_o.gif

BloodOmen, that cover looks amazing! Got a hi-Res shot I can have a look at, at all?  smile_o.gif

I do have Hi res shot. I currently have to go now though tounge2.gif

When i get back later, ill go on my external and upload it. wink_o.gif

thxs for your comment

sure looks that way.

The rating system was bugged from the start though. A simple click once on the one you like (and log your IP so you couldn't vote again) system would have been better - not the weird system whereby all your positive votes (from a very large ArmA community) could be wiped out by some idiot repeatedly clicking on 1 star.

no the rating dont count at all.

And thats OFFICIALLY confirmed.

i quote Anna Stanford :

Hi Jerry

We are allowing multiple votes – there are judges from 505 Games and Bohemia Interactive for the competition, the voting system is just a way of getting people to interact with the site more. We aren’t too worried about multiple voting.

so, the voting thing was just something to keep you busy with...  something to click...

--

BTW: why do i see this image on the Expansion website?

http://www.armedassault.com/images/pic_arma_qg_box183.jpg

Anyone know where i can get a full copy of my persoanl fav.

f8580e8d704f40ebab1d0c42e2ca7290.jpg

or how i contact the makers as i think its awesome.

WOW another new island scew the cover it looks amazing ^^

New Environments:

Porto Island: designed for smaller multiplayer scenarios and offers perfect environment for intense battles in urban terrain

United Sahrani: United Sahrani contains new structures built since the original story of Armed Assault with dozens of improvements

also a DC3 notworthy.gif

lol, what a boring winner...

I wouldn't even give it a second look in a store crazy_o.gif

Yeah the problem is that it is not visually strong enough nor it does display the content of the Queen's Gambit in any unique or intelligent way. What's the point?  goodnight.gif

EDIT: Unless they actually wanted the pics for something else. I would not be surprised if we are going to see some of those entries in the future. I guess that the contestants gave up all rights of the pictures by entering this competition?

well i'm definitely shocked and if this 'winner' was chosen by 505 staff...

then if i own 505 that person would be fired same day ...

sorry no mercy with bad decisions ...

Oblivously no one likes there decision then rofl.gif

Im erm at my brothers so i still cant get a hold of the hi-res version of mine 4 erm who said it, ah yes Infam0us

Congradulations to the winner.

I say if you can get away with winning something with minimum effort, then i applaud them.

However i must add that the judges decision is unbelievable. What a shambles this has turned out to be. So don't blame the winner for his lack of effort, blame the judges for there sheer incompitance....

Someone already mentioned it, but i think the fans should of voted for the winner. Afterall, its those that will be will be buying the game.

A cover shot made by a member of the community, for a game for the community would be very much appreciated..

Congradulations to the winner.

I say if you can get away with winning something with minimum effort, then i applaud them.

However i must add that the judges decision is unbelievable. What a shambles this has turned out to be. So don't blame the winner for his lack of effort, blame the judges for there sheer incompitance....

Someone already mentioned it, but i think the fans should of voted for the winner. Afterall, its those that will be will be buying the game.

A cover shot made by a member of the community, for a game for the community would be very much appreciated..

I aint bothered that it was chosen by the publisher.. i think they should do that and not the community.. they are the publisher afterall..

But that shot is crap, the text on the top has the default photoshop outer glow, the pic is of a low quality res and on low settings in ArmA.

Jeez is this a joke? 1st April was a while ago lads.