Sign in to follow this  
csj

Player jumping

forget it - just not worth the bother

nice try! got to put this into some missions , will be nice to see how it will look like with customized animations and stuff. smile_o.gif

It's a good demonstration of the possibilities. Like others

have said, I think jumping like an olympic athlete has little

real application, but I'd really like to be able to do stuff like

this (links to youtube) in ArmA eventually.

Look at the game soldner for example. Thats got all that, breaching windows, fence climbing and wall climbing. Maybe the animations can be ported somehow.

If any one wants them pm me.

Btw great script. But i think my soldiers heart is weak as when i continuously jump he eventualy dies crazy_o.gif

This helps you make your soldier unable to jump again until he has hit the ground... It is taken out of this original script and just slightly modified...

Click Me to Download

anyone bothered asking celery?

he made some funny deathmatch thing, where people jump like 40ft in the air.... *( dont ask, i played it for test...)

if tweakable, it might be of use? (40ft is a bit overdon ey?)

like I was saying before, perhaps after the soldier completes the jump, he automatically drops into the prone position... that would keep people from hurdling with him.. smile_o.gif

My only concern is that this is going to take the tactical aspect out of ArmA, if all everybody is jumping all over the place and never running, its going to turn into BF2.

what?

how can you even compare this game to bf "X" just because there is added jumping.

arma is supppose to simulate real life as much as posseble compared to other game.. last time i checked.. i can still jump tounge2.gif

i like it, and keep up the good work!!

Glad to people are still bothering to read a thread before they flame it icon_rolleyes.gif

This is a superb effort towards a level of mobility thats lacking from this otherwise superb game. I agree with whomever said that dropping into prone (or crouch?) after a jump would be a good way of preventing any possible abuse, but unless the system is hugely broken who amoung us couldn't put 3 rounds in a bunny-hopper in this game before they hit the ground?

I seriously doubt it will become a problem, but I would still like to see some more appropriate animations and motion further down the line.

As I said - a superb first step.

Please, if you are going to mod Armed Assault to make the players jump, limit the scripts ability to be used by a player once every five seconds. That's more than enough to 'get over a fence.' Any other combinations of animations or the like will result in sploiting.

Going into the prone position after you jump? WTH?

That's called dolphin diving, it makes the unit harder to hit and quite frankly, it was removed from BF2 because of the sploiting uses it perpetuates. Anyone for this, wants dolphin diving aka sploiting.

It's a good idea, and it can be used effectivly and maturely in the right mission. Stick this in a CTF and you'll loose the fun.

Putting it in a co-op where seriousl people play and not abuse it wouldn't be that bad of an idea.

Would there be any way of using the default "vehicle exit"

anim for getting over obstacles instead of that Steve Austin

bionic leap? I think I could live without getting to see the

little guy actually roll over the top of a wall so long as he

could get over it.

Jump Sucks.

Arma is not BF and CS.

There is no problem with jumping unless it is implemented correctly.

Bar being able to hop over a few minor objects (low fences, low walls), how useful is this really?

Majority of my ArmA play is spent trying to get lower - not higher (into the path of oncoming bullets).

Even if this was implemented as a permanent feature, bunnyhopping about won't help much vs a prone\crouched\stationary unit with a steady aim.

It is interesting to watch though. wink_o.gif

I agree dmitri. I've been playing since OFP 1.11 and I never needed to jump over anything. I never even noticed that it was a restriction. My biggest concern was always trying to duck behind something.

I was also wondering if the AI would be able to do it?

--Ben

Quote[/b] ]Also I couldn't work out how to read players position as in 'Up' , 'down' etc, so if play was in prone position then 'jump' action could not be used.

Mandoble at OFPEC has a slick function that detects which stance the unit is in (stand, crouch, prone):

http://www.ofpec.com/index.p....29174.0

This is a great idea.  Since it is a scripted solution, mission makers will have the freedom to decide when and where its appropriate to use.

Bar being able to hop over a few minor objects (low fences, low walls), how useful is this really?

But these "minor objects (low fences, low walls)" are

complete barriers to movement. If clambering over obstacles  

were to be implemented successfully then maps might also

become much more interesting than they are now, with

obstacles that have to be negotiated, instead of the golf

courses they tend to be now.

I agree. What kind of soldiers are these? They do not even carry heavy packs or anything and cannot climb over fences? An army of old men? Hopefully they serve in a motorized wheel chair brigade.

This is just a game, there are so many games without able to climb over fences. Everything is made simplified becouse coders don't have enough time and many things are also restricted to make game more realistic, players would be always exploiting jumping if somekind of tiring modeling isn't used. I also hate that you cant shoot front when running and strafing, when assaulting running and shooting has been army standard since WWII so why modern combat games are artificially restricting it, I don't understand. Same thing with jumping why cant there been anykind of jumping, atleast somekind of mantling over small object should be possible. There should be tiring modeling which allows jumping but only after resting a while.

But these "minor objects (low fences, low walls)" are

complete barriers to movement. If clambering over obstacles

were to be implemented successfully then maps might also

become much more interesting than they are now, with

obstacles that have to be negotiated, instead of the golf

courses they tend to be now.

Still don't think gameplay is going to change much, but each to his own. It'd be like climbing ladders, nice to have, but a minor gameplay feature (and often suicidal in MP).

BIS made a mistake with the low fences. They should be scalable like certain of the concrete sidings\vineyards. Problem solved..

A satchel charge does the same thing smile_o.gif 1 charge and the obstacle is no more.

You want jumping, 1 charge, stand on said charge, detonate.... There's your jumping. smile_o.gif

On a serious note, I'm with a few others here in saying that jumping added to ARMA is a bad idea. Simple fix is to have "Negotiate Obstacle" or "Vault fence" as an action menu item. As it stands there is absolutely no need to jump in ARMA.

Good work on seeing what you percieved as a problem and going to work on a potential fix though. Alot of people around here could learn from that example.