Sign in to follow this  
csj

Player jumping

Something which I believe is/was missing from arma and ofp and that is the ability to jump a fence or jump up on a platform etc. (It may already have been done but I haven't seen it.)

Basic sqs allows player to jump fairly realistically, atleast until better animations can be made.

Arma_Jump video

Demo jump mission

Wow, CS-style jumping. Congratulations!

Due to the automatic little jump in Arma, my soldier broke his two legs yesterday.

I'd call it a hurdle more than a jump.

thumbs-up.gif

In video there is nothing about "fairly realistically". It looks more like "MarioBro jumping". wink_o.gif

Maybe you can make it more sporty like runner jumping over hurdle?

Thanks CSJ

Very nice, but Ive an error when I start the mission

"MyHouse is missing". did you used any Addons the this mission ?  huh.gif

It's a good start - I like the idea of it. I don't like the animation, but it is indeed a good start. As people have mentioned, some kind of hurdle would be good - however it should be a key press or an action, as it'd be annoying trying to hold a defensive positon behind sandbags only to jump over them into the bullets.

Something which I believe is/was missing from arma and ofp and that is the ability to jump a fence or jump up on a platform etc. (It may already have been done but I haven't seen it.)

Basic sqs allows player to jump fairly realistically, atleast until better animations can be made.

Arma_Jump video

Demo jump mission

nice to see this in arma.

just to notice, i hope you can optimise this script. if you are on a building, or object, and you jump, you will be at ground, you fall just trough that building.

if you are in the water, and jump, and press fast jump, you can fly ^^

if you press fast jump, you will die

in all, its funny, and needs a bit more work.

Sentry

It´s sad to say, but I don´t like it. This isn´t a rant, so don´t take it that way. It would be more realistic if he actually climbs over it. It´s damn near impossible to jump that high in full combat order. (Helmet, body armor, ammunition, weapon/s, explosives, etc) Of course, it´s limited to the current animations untill the tools are out, but a climb-animation would be a lot more realistic. I like the idea of negotiating obstacles. Just not jumping over them.

I tried jumping straight up, wearing full combat order, FN MAG (M240) and about 800 rounds of linked ammunition in my beltkit and I didn´t get very far. If I tried to jump over that pile of sandbags, I´d fall flat on my face.

pls not, i dont want this game to be a CS jumping fest! and btw try to jump with all that equipment in RL!

There should not be jumping. What there could be is a climb/roll movement over fences or sandbag walls. Once over, the player drops automatically into the prone position. That's how we did it in my training.

YAY CS bunnyhopping for CTF ...not. don't need it but thanks for trying. looks nice but i just don't see the reason for it. I acknowledge the time you spent working on it though.

I dont see why everyone equates jumping with "OMG CS" it doesnt have to be an on-demand ability. It could be like climbing a ladder, via the action menu.

Nice one, takes it a step further than my example released a few months ago. Looking forward to ability to create custom animations etc which can create a real kind of 'hop-over' kinda thing smile_o.gif

There's a possibility to catch keypresses in arma though, works imho better than an action, and leaves the ability to use sqf preload and calling/spawning it, altough the script is small/simple, jumping would be a repeating action ingame.

Quote[/b] ]"MyHouse is missing". did you used any Addons the this mission ?
oops, it was from a test file so old stuff in mission.sqm, my err.
Quote[/b] ]i dont want this game

Don't use it.

Personally I found it very frustrating, in game, to come upto a railing or short fence etc  and could not get over the obstacle.

This is a simple way to overcome that problem until we can make our own animations (as stated in first post icon_rolleyes.gif)

Quote[/b] ]Looking forward to ability to create custom animations etc which can create a real kind of 'hop-over' kinda thing

agreed - this is makedo untill then.

The action can be easily removed or added so obviously in water or vehicle you would not carry the action.

Also I couldn't work out how to read players position as in 'Up' , 'down' etc, so if play was in prone position then 'jump' action could not be used.

Quote[/b] ] and needs a bit more work.
of course it does, I am no scripting junky. tounge2.gif

Nice to see something being done about slightly ridiculous movement restrictions smile_o.gif I always get frustrated having to run around a low barrier I should be vaulting across smile_o.gif good job.

Quote[/b] ]Also I couldn't work out how to read players position as in 'Up' , 'down' etc, so if play was in prone position then 'jump' action could not be used.

UnitPos

This should help.

Thanks MehMan, I did go there.

If you look in the jump sqs you will see my last attempt to get this working but it doesn't do anything. confused_o.gif

Oh sorry there, didn't checkout the scripts, posted just incase.

Oh well.

This script would be great if its calculate the mass of player equipment and then in civil class we can jump like this and whit some gears not. ArmA´s current engine is too restricted and I give big notworthy.gif to every1 who are working on somekind of this.

well, this is a start. gj on making this. arma is restrictive, i'll give u that.

what i'd like to see is getting an action button when u get close 2 a small obstacle, making it possible 2 go over it (small fences, sand bags and so on). this could make you use both hands, one hand, to support ureself while doing it. but this should have the appropriate animation as well, and untill then...

gj anyway m8

Looks like a nice step towards a proper "climb" function.  Plus I think there are plenty of cases where jumping would make sense (i.e. no gear).  Good work. smile_o.gif

I can't help remembering right now how H&D2 did it's climbing.  For very short objects, you pressed climb and he would just step up.  A little higher, and he'd have to take a bigger step.  Even higher still, and he needed to use his hands.  Finally, if the surface was very high (over your head), you could pull yourself up... but I'm not sure how realistic that last part was really with all the gear, etc.

On another note, I wonder how hard it would be to include the ability to "snug up" against those sandbags or other objects of the correct height in order to fire from cover?  Anyone that played the original Vietcong will know what I am talking about (afaik they did not include this ability in Vietcong 2).  Can any of you imagine if we had that "fire-from-cover" functionality from original Vietcong, and the AI could use it too?  pistols.gif

I haven't played the orig 'Vietcong' but I did spot 'Vietcong*2' in the bargin bin on the weekend and tried it.

Very impressed with the whole AI bit, firefights, ducking for cover etc etc., of course the big draw back is the limited playing area.

This is why I made the jump action coz VC*2 had it and it was FGS to be able to just step over a 2 foot wall instead of having to run around the bastard.

Quote[/b] ]well, this is a start. gj on making this. arma is restrictive, i'll give u that.

what i'd like to see is getting an action button

If someone knows how - Any improvements would be welcome by all.

smile_o.gif

not meant to be disrespect, as already said its a nice step towards a proper "climb" function, but i still think real life restriction of doing things is improtant for overall gameplay(as its mean to be playablily realistic, rgr?)

climbing, fence breaching is a must have, but jumping with a unrealistic rate/height is not good IMO