Sign in to follow this  
Cedaie

Australia 102x102

Hey guys. I've just started work on a rather large undertaking of making the country of Australia for Arma. The size of the island is roughly 100km x 100km. One of the first maps to be started since PMC map size discovery.

The idea has been inspired from hours of time playing CTI with friends. With a CTI wishlist involving week long games with JIP enabled. Large scale battles that can go on for hours.

Image below showing South Australia & Tasmania & the comparison between South Sahrani

SSARA-1.jpg

Larger Size Here

Myself and a few friends will be working on the design, it's a really rough concept at the moment as you can see from the image. The elevation is much too high obviously :P

I've imported a quite accurate elevation data image, as I aim to portray Australia as accurately as I can with the exception of the scale difference. So for example, the City of Sydney should be roughly 8-15 times the size of Paraiso in Sahrani. Possibly more depending on the memory required to store such information. The biggest concern is the memory and fps the complete island will take up. So heres to hoping a patch is in the works to have islands this large running without concern. It could bring Arma to a new level of play.

The idea and use for this map is extremely different to other maps. The idea is just for is it's sheer feeling of massive size. As a mere soldier you will NEED to have airlifts to get anywhere, this map will bring the feeling of a somewhat agoraphobia, where you're miles from anywhere, support is 20 minutes away and you gotta hold your own until then. Or those moments flying over landmass with no ocean in sight, deserted desolate moments looking down from the chopper, rarely seeing small towns and only more desert fly by. This is why I want to make this map. Get us a bit closer to realism.

With the maps scale comes the scale of the missions created for it. Long, organised, tactical battles, some feelings of R&R and never actually knowing when the bombs will go off etc.

If you want fast paced, small scale action, play Sahrani or America's Army, this map is not for you.

However, if you are Australian and you insist on playing in your home country with faster play, I will include 6 other maps of individual states of Australia, to sooth your craving.

New building and landmark models too, such as the world reknown Opera House, Ayers Rock, etc

As it stands it's just myself working on this. But it's much too big for just myself to take on. So over the next couple of weeks I'll start looking around for anyone interested in helping with details specific to Australia. By the time O2arma is out. We should have a fair amount done for importing.

New models such as Australian bred trees, like the gumtree and various wattle trees.

Animals and wildlife like the ever popular and over-rated Kangaroos and Crocodiles

Landmarks: Sydney Harbor bridge, Opera house. The Santos (now the Wespac) building in Adelaide & many more.

So just letting you know whats in the works down in aussieland.

Any ideas or suggestions for this are welcome.

-Ceds

Impressive! Where did you get your DEM data from? That’s one hell of a undertaking.

Good luck!

That is AWESOME (this coming from an Aussie hehe).

I'm going to post this on my clan forums, the other guys will think so too. smile_o.gif

That is AWESOME (this coming from an Aussie hehe).

I'm going to post this on my clan forums, the other guys will think so too. smile_o.gif

It is a massive undertaking. I plan to have new building models. a 2048 x 2048 texture touched up from snapshots off Google Earth

as for a DEM file, I had no luck finding one for Australia, so basically it was a crappy 600x800 colored elevation pic, touched up in photoshop, resized to 2048 and sharpened.

I'm lost for words biggrin_o.gif

Although that CTI you were talking about would take a day to drive to a battle lol whistle.gif

Honestly i think you should consider that you will be only able to finish this shown map. To fill the map with well placed objects will take a long time if it shall look good or impresive.

Then you need new objects. Another huge work to do.

And tha last big problem is the loading time. If you start the map i think it will take some minutes to load this map at the beginning. On the map it will be no problem because of the stream function.

But it is impressiv and i wish you good luck for this project.

wow! the most impressive island ive ever seen biggrin_o.gif

and about cti's ... woooohhooaaa wow_o.gif

i love it! keep it up! wink_o.gif

Give that man a New!

top stuff matey thumbs-up.gif

[Give that man a New!]

Too Bloody Rite thumbs-up.gif

Good luck with the project.

Now we can play suburb wars!

Or Crounlla gone ugly crazy_o.gif

I can't imagine that a human has been born into this world that would be capable of texturing\ object populating that island.

Quote[/b] ]I can't imagine that a human has been born into this world that would be capable of texturing\ object populating that island.

He's Australian mate, we can do shit like that in a couple days...lol

all i can say is..

CRIKEY!

notworthy.gif

Thats one hell of a map, best of luck! I hope we will all be able to play on it... some day tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]I can't imagine that a human has been born into this world that would be capable of texturing\ object populating that island.

He's Australian mate, we can do shit like that in a couple days...lol

Damn Straight! lol

And tha last big problem is the loading time. If you start the map i think it will take some minutes to load this map at the beginning. On the map it will be no problem because of the stream function.

Yeah, the map alone takes about 5 minutes to load for me, but when you think about it, their will be few maps for it anyway, save for big project missions such as CTI or a version of Evolution etc. Which you won't play all the time.

Additionally this is exactly why I will split the map into 7 other 'state' maps for faster loading maps. Also they won't just fall off the edge at borderlines, I'll give them shores and the island feel.

Sif anyone is gonna fight over Tassie.. jking...

yeah good stuff mate.. yeah I reckon state maps are the way to go..

So you can make maps just from google images and you don't need a topo map? or is that in fact the preferred way of doing it.. i.e. using bulldozer, oxygen and/or visitor?

Nice work Cedaie, impressive.... If your looking for help maybe jump on to the OGN Arma Forum as theres alot of talented Aussie guys there... wink_o.gif

10 pts for ambition!

though I take it the pic you showed us is just a test as you mentioned Sydney, but its not on the map.

Also do you have anyone yet to do new buildings? most of Australias' architecture is very different to the standard BIS stuff, with all the Victorian era stuff mixed with modern then surounded by boring brick vener, there's a whole new look to achieve.

Also I was wondering if the scale (looks about 1-10) is the way you want to go. just curious coz I could see a lot of potential in the pic to reduce the 'bite' of land by a 1/4 to 1/3, favouring the Sth East, and drop in a coast line around the northern half.

ah! cant decide if I'm drooling now or just dribbling.

Good luck

very cool beans ced smile_o.gif you always were rather eccentric with your undertakings so this comes as no surprise to see this from you.

I look forward to seeing this project come to be.

p.s. good to see you're still alive tounge2.gif

omg omg omg. im gonna setup artie at my place and blow my mates town away lol

Hey, I can see my house! smile_o.gif

The height map looks a bit iffy, the Nullarbor 500m ASL!

This is a massive project that will take many people years to complete.

I've always wanted to make an Australian themed map, but just creating the vegetation would be a massive challenge for 1 person.

Hey, I can see my house! smile_o.gif

There's no houses on there yet rofl.gif

lol thanks guys, good to see some enthusiasm in the project.

I don't think it will take years to complete, when you think about it, australia is pretty deserted. for the most part. Which allows for more detail to put into the cities.

I really want cities in this one, I never really saw a full on city in OFP, probably because of it's limitations etc.

Oh and, Hi Cassie biggrin_o.gif

Pleeaaaase also model the town of Karratha. Lived there for 2 and a half years and would love to make a mission there. :P

It's a tiny town that mainly lives of iron ore and gas ,either shipping it by rail or by tanker, so dont forget to make the ground all red/brownish smile_o.gif

http://maps.google.be/maps?f=....nk&cd=1