Sign in to follow this  
Acecombat

Far Cry 2

I personally like the re-spawning checkpoints.

It would seem a bit boring just driving from mission to mission, since they seem so far apart. Also, without them the game would end much quicker.

And that's exactly what I don't like. Unnesecary lengthening of gameplay. And no friendly troops. It's just you against the whole world and it's just too much grind.

And that's exactly what I don't like. Unnesecary lengthening of gameplay. And no friendly troops. It's just you against the whole world and it's just too much grind.

For a SP game. I would rather it take time, unlike CoD4 with a full squad that let me finish the game under 6 hours.

I wonder if dropping to easy mode would help you?

And no friendly troops. It's just you against the whole world and it's just too much grind.

Errr, you play a lone mercenary, in case you didn't know. A guy who kills for money. In trigger happy country.

You have some friends but no troops. What is the prob?

All these games with US troops stuff this and that is boring as hell anyways. Always playing the so called 'good guys' brrrrrrrrrrr.

your more like a terminator than a merc thought, traveling around the country killing any human you can see tounge2.gif

And the "good guys" morale is here too, in that your main objective is to kill the weaponsupplier to the conflict.

Errr, you play a lone mercenary, in case you didn't know. A guy who kills for money. In trigger happy country.

You have some friends but no troops. What is the prob?

All these games with US troops stuff this and that is boring as hell anyways. Always playing the so called 'good guys' brrrrrrrrrrr.

I know i'm a lone mercenary, but damn, a lone mercanary who has to take on every checkpoint. Is it so hard to bribe some people to do it for him at one point in the game?

I did'nt like this game to begin with, but its slowly growing on me ... was in a firefight before and my AK Jammed ... I was like crazy_o.gif

Also the enemy have a nasty habit of blending in with the surroundings when your trying to hit them, good game so far. smile_o.gif

your more like a terminator than a merc thought, traveling around the country killing any human you can see tounge2.gif

And the "good guys" morale is here too, in that your main objective is to kill the weaponsupplier to the conflict.

thats why i miss civilians..

so that you get the addition to be careful what the hell you shoot at...

at about the 5th mission i started going in throwing handgrenades and molotows all around me and just brining chaos to the place...

just, quick in, quick out...

if there actually where civilians and such there i would be much more careful...

also, civilians could be a great resource of information..

the game has a huge potential but just dont go more then halfway for me..

it´s a shame really...

thats why i miss civilians..

so that you get the addition to be careful what the hell you shoot at...

at about the 5th mission i started going in throwing handgrenades and molotows all around me and just brining chaos to the place...

just, quick in, quick out...

if there actually where civilians and such there i would be much more careful...

also, civilians could be a great resource of information..

the game has a huge potential but just dont go more then halfway for me..

it´s a shame really...

Civilians have fled the region (as is explained by the intro), which would seem normal to me, i don't expect civs to 'drink a cup of tea' at some roadblock:)

So yeah, the outset is quite simple, but imho FarCry2 is a marvel nonetheless ... So much (working) detail ...

... the engine alone should make other devs quite nervous. For coming ArmA2 and OFP2 i now have a reference to FarCry2 (talking 360 here), it sure raises the bar significantly. To me FC2 is a major step forward in the traditional FPS genre. At heart a simple shooter, but very wel excecuted.

well.. not ALL the civilians have fled...

i would still like to see some random crowds of refugees along the roads....

and yes.. the engine seams to be very good indeed..

even tgough all the graphics and stuff it´s still running perfectly on the highest settings with my 2 year old comupter (only changed the graphics card for a Radeon 4850 about a week ago)

if only ArmA would have such an effecient engine...

At heart a simple shooter, but very wel excecuted.

It is indeed! It's a bit like a graphically stunning First Person GTA in Africa … and I'm finding it very addictive!

The main problem I find with the AI is that they are just too quick to recognize you as foe, in fact it is as soon as they see you! Never mind : … "I'm not quite sure who that is ... wait I think it might be that assassin! Not sure ... get a bit closer ... OH F**k it is ... shoot the b**tard!!"

OH no it's just as if you've got a big red flag over your head attracting the attention of even the fastest car driver on the bumpiest of African roads to the fact that you are their no.1 enemy from 200+ meters!

But then again this is the same in just about any other shooter including ArmA etc.

Absolutely great game  … and all the better for the fact that this time around there are no fecking mutants with wacky weapons!!  wink_o.gif

After seeing most, maybe all animals.....I tend to be concerned swimming across the creeks/ponds. (Is there a croc). It would be funny.

I played Far Cry 2. It was interesting. However, I was frustrated at the lack of realism with the firearms. You had to shoot someone like 30 times to kill them. I'm tried of that.

And there is not a very interesting varity of missions. They spend a lot of time on "world development" for the playing environment.. and it its very good. But I found a lot of the missions to be somewhat of a bore.

And the story? Huh, there was no virus, no monsters, no elements from the orginal Far Cry, no JACK CARVER! Nothing. I mean, they just took the name. Thats it. No references at all. I was hoping to see a tie in to the previous games. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.

^^ 30 times to kill somebody? A whole clip? Jeez, i take down most with one headshot with sniper rifle or handgun. Mp5 takes a few, depending on distance because of the burst/spread.

Seems all pretty normal to me.

Mounted weapons? A few rounds and they go down. Though i hardly use other rifles and machineguns, true i don't like them so much (in the game)

(aim for the head in short bursts or better with a single shot weapon ... but why should i even bother to tell this here, in the holy grail of SIMULATION which is OFP?)

Anyway, i found Ursa Major in the game (and pointing north, i checked;)

fc2-ursamajor.jpg

Appearantly OFP is not the only game with a 'modelled night sky'

Yesterday i went on an assasination mission (INSANE difficulty), take out 2 drugsdealers in 2 locations. It took me 3 darts (2 dealers and 1 sniper on the lookout) to get the job done undetected. Very, very cool game (only the zebra's and impala's knew i was there:)

I have to agree with maxqubit this is a very cool game indeed, and all the better for the fact that there is no virus, no monsters or any of the other silliness from the original game! I also take most enemies out with a single shot to the head with either the dart rifle or the sniper, but most weapons will do this if you put them to single shot.

I agree the story isn't as linear as the original game, but then again it's not as ridiculous either, and I have to say this is a far superior game in the sheer fun element that it has and a totally addictive and fun gameplay element.

PS. Has anyone found the characters time piece yet? In the PC Zone preview there is a screen of the character holding a watch up to check the time, but alas I have not configured how to get this to show yet. It may have been taken out for the release I don't know?? It would save always having to go to the safe houses just to check the time at the bed!!

(aim for the head in short bursts or better with a single shot weapon ... but why should i even bother to tell this here, in the holy grail of SIMULATION which is OFP?)

So your OFP tactic is to just aim for the head?  tounge2.gif

You're suppose to aim for the centre of mass (AKA the torso) with real life weapons. 'Headshots' is just video game BS.

I was hoping for this game to have more modding potential. Such an awesome map editor and all you can do is build maps for the limited MP modes. Such a waste.

You're suppose to aim for the centre of mass (AKA the torso) with real life weapons. 'Headshots' is just video game BS.

My point was saying he is a 'bad shot' in a nice way. Any OFP vet should know they are doing something 'wrong' when you waste 30 bullets on 1 kill. You can adept to the game(rules) or you can bin it and go back to our beloved one and only OFP where you 'aim at the torso' (tip: don't apply ofp rules to Dead Space)

Btw, Red Kite, i was wondering about the watch to. It is not in the 360 version (weird because i saw screens of the watch on the net)

My point was saying he is a 'bad shot' in a nice way. Any OFP vet should know they are doing something 'wrong' when you waste 30 bullets on 1 kill. You can adept to the game(rules) or you can bin it and go back to our beloved one and only OFP where you 'aim at the torso' (tip: don't apply ofp rules to Dead Space)

Btw, Red Kite, i was wondering about the watch to. It is not in the 360 version (weird because i saw screens of the watch on the net)

Given enough distance and and hard target and i'll waste 90-120 rounds for one kill in OFP. With machinegun i can double that easily tounge2.gif

Here's typical scenario (brrrt means that my machinegun has something to say)

-'Okay we have runner here, time to bring this sucker down'.

-Brrrt

'Running still'

Brrrrrrt.

'Naah! Still running'

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt Brrt-Brrt Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

'It went down, but is dead ?? '

'Wait' I see it's hand moving, it's calling for medic'

!Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt!

'Still moving and whining'

Brrrt

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

'Why - Wont - You - Just - Diiiiieeeeeeeeeee!'

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt!

'I've got him!'

'Ammo Low.'

Well adapting to the game's rules is easy enough. It's just that you said:

Quote[/b] ](aim for the head in short bursts or better with a single shot weapon ... but why should i even bother to tell this here, in the holy grail of SIMULATION which is OFP?)

OFP doesn't teach you to constantly go for headshots, especially since you're too far away in a lot of cases wink_o.gif

If they would change two things:

- You have to shoot a god damn shirtless guy dozens of times (in the torso) for him to die = utter crap. I would welcome dying in one shot method instead of the dumb pulling-out-the-bullet-of-whatever-limb animation anytime (let alone the retarded syringe thingy)..

- The already (several times) mentioned completely retarded almost-instant-checkpoint/town-enemy-respawn.. Man that gets annoying after a couple of hours. mad_o.gif

They could just replace it with actual arriving reinforcements and that would be it..

But I guess that's for the genral FPS crowd, been checking a few FC2 related forums and no-one even mentiones the idiotic insta-respawn.. sad_o.gif

Other than that, insanely addictive gamem been playing it for too many hours.. With this and GTA 4 death is inevitable tounge2.gif

OFP doesn't teach you to constantly go for headshots, especially since you're too far away in a lot of cases wink_o.gif

I know (well since demo ofp i guess)

OFP is for the most part, a long range affair. In FC2 you can sneak up to a base, get in real close (couple of meters).

With mp5 or the silent makarov i aim for the head(ish) part. Although a closeup headshot with the silent makarov means a 1-hit-kill i usually pull twice or triple 'just to make sure' ... The mp5 has some 'spread' so you have to take that into account.

And yes, i'm aware those guys wear t-shirts of a special kind, the 'bullet-stopping' kind:)

And i'm also aware that the game doesn't have ballistics (at least, not that i've noticed) so i can't say it is very realistic

... but ...

The game is real good fun for me, a kinda very nice teaser for what might come in 2009 on a.o. 360 with OFP2 and Arma2