Sign in to follow this  
Acecombat

Far Cry 2

Check out the scans for pics and the mag article here:

Inside Gamer

Seems this game has gone the same way as OFP in terms of publisher vs developer. Ubi owns the rights to the Far Cry franchise so they get to make their 'own' sequel while Crytek went and built Crysis for EA, though crysis isnt strictly a sequel but it looks very similiar in locale to far cry.

Reading through the last page of the mag i read a comment referring to OFP and how the game wont go that way in terms of realism and then i was confused as i dont understand what sort of realism they are talking about .. crazy_o.gif

last page

Theres a lot of talk about the game having intelligent and dynamic AI , dunno if its gonna happen they said the same things with Far Cry and it wasnt THAT far away from the normal run-gun FPS that we usually see.

Reading through the last page of the mag i read a comment referring to OFP and how the game wont go that way in terms of realism and then i was confused as i dont understand what sort of realism they are talking about .. crazy_o.gif

last page

That "no Operation Flashpoint Syndrome" sentence maybe could be understood as a developers approach to keep "People [who] want realism," look forward to the game, simply because "They want it."

The fact that they´re not gonna include the harsh one shot one kill stuff tells me that FarCry2 is just going to be another shiny shooter like Crysis is, with the difference of FC2 having only human opponents and real life weapons. confused_o.gif

So, simply put we´re elitistic arses

Sums it up nicely imho biggrin_o.gif

When console devs talk about realism they usually either mean the graphics or content related realism.

So you will prolly have real existing equipment in FC2 that looks real enough, but it won't behave realistically.

Basically it's a shallower type of realism.

When console devs talk about realism they usually either mean the graphics or content related realism.

So you will prolly have real existing equipment in FC2 that looks real enough, but it won't behave realistically.

Basically it's a shallower type of realism.

So what gives them the right to mock 'hollywood realism' as they just did back there?

This form of 'realism' imo is even worse then the 'hollywood' one.

Cry-tech did a really bad contract with urinsoft... aparently ubi managed to own the whole thing, including the old cry engine.

I think ubi themselves made all the other versions (console) for the usual milkage...

Anyway i didnt like FC, am not buying FC2 and my only interest in Crysis is about the tech, the game itself sounds very uninteresting.

OPF was diferent since CM got the franchise but not the engine, this is probably why BIS had trouble signing with a publisher for Arma...

I agree with it being even worse... since with hollywood realism you know they are just making something that doesn't depict reality at all.

Noone will watch Rambo 4 thinking, "yup, that's what it's like!"

But games that sort of mix the two blur the lines so that the less informed players kind of get wooed over into thinking killing and war is a fun romp. When they finish basic you'll get trigger happy Gomer Pyles instead of soldiers.

Reading stuff like this:

Quote[/b] ]we wanted to make it realistic for the player in the sense that, okay, if I were in Africa, this could be it; this is what it could be like

Most of the pasty kids that'll play this game would die of malaria as soon as they set foot on African soil. The ones that do survive would collapse in the heat after running 5 feet.

That is what it would be like... would be a suckygame, you would have to ration your food and plan your routes to stay in the shade and near water with appropriately heavy/light equipment... Even Leonardo DiCaprio showed proper marksmanship and hunted for bush meat in Blood Diamond, so "Hollywood realism" seems to be more real than what these guys are aiming for.

Quote[/b] ]One bullet won't be the end of you, as Pharand is quick to point out.

Yea...

edit: One more thing i would like to add is that Africa is the new flavor of the year. Resident Evil 5 is also there and a slew of new games too. (Even that tactical shooter by Blackfoot Studios, although i have faith that they won't bring the stereotypical african bush dweller syndrome into their game.)

(Even that tactical shooter by Blackfoot Studios, although i have faith that they won't bring the stereotypical african bush dweller syndrome into their game.)

Nope, last i've heard was Indonesia wink_o.gif ..

Shit... you're right, for some reason i had Sudan stuck in my head, not Sumatra.

Liked Far Cry, it had nice water fileld with fishes, and nice enviroment.. Not waiting for FC2 though, but waiting for Crysis...

Its like OFP.... Waiting for GAME 2, but not the OFP 2 by codemasters tounge2.gif

Sounds interesting, but I'm not that excited about it.

And where the hell is the first page of the article? huh.gif

Wow, nice video! Though I must say I'd rather be an advocate for the health or medipacks instead of the self-operation methods, since being shot repeatedly in the same place but going on afterwards with full ability really seems weird to me... Better make it the generic health pack or medipack... But the forest fires, finally something like that arrives in a game!!! And, as it seems, russian weaponry seems to be favoured over the "western" weaponry present in the first Far Cry...

More interesting is the varition of demo's that will be available for this engine. I believe some day a very realistic mod a la OFP will be available for this engine.

I gotta admit, I'm actually interested in this game now. It sounds pretty cool.

I honestly cant see myself enjoying this kind of crap.

Jack Carver, the mercenary hero atacks enemy camps all by himself using a flamethrower, a sniper rifle, a M249 and a uzi... and he must keep on moving all the time because the a.i. is very agressive..

How original icon_rolleyes.gif .

Jack Carver, the mercenary hero atacks enemy camps all by himself using a flamethrower, a sniper rifle, a M249 and a uzi... and he must keep on moving all the time because the a.i. is very agressive..

Jack Who? smile_o.gif

He will not be in Far Cry 2, you can choose one of a set of mercenaries to play. The others will than be as AI controlled merc`s ingame.

Right now i'm hoping for the game being easy to modify.

Depending on the unit draw distance maybe we could have some good tank battles in the game.

Plus that all terrain vehicle amortized quite a lot better than in ArmA.

Right now i'm hoping for the game being easy to modify.

Depending on the unit draw distance maybe we could have some good tank battles in the game.

Plus that all terrain vehicle amortized quite a lot better than in ArmA.

Well, ok.. but its still a dumb looking shooter by nature.

Im not questioning the technology that powers it.. i like seeing shit tearing appart and grass being drawn in the distance.

They could have used this to make.. a GR game that doesnt suck, or something (more) interesting confused_o.gif .

Heatseeker, this is a sequel to Far Cry, whose story was, well, nothing that would be unexpected I guess, and there is only so much one can do to make an FPS interesting... I liked Far Cry, and of course it was no System Shock 2, so it wouldn't be fair to expect Far Cry 2 to be more "interesting" than perhaps Bioshock... I think Crysis and Stalker are the ones Far Cry 2 will have to measure up against...

Anyone tried it? I've heard it's got that whole "open world" spiel going for it but... dunno.

I got it yeasterday, thanks to a little "pressure" on my gaming store...! tounge2.gif

But its suplime and so so beatiful, the first ½ hour i was just wandering around and being a "tourist" see the sights...

I can highly recommend it, a very good entertaiment game for when not playing ArmA. biggrin_o.gif