Sign in to follow this  
Heatseeker

I cant see at night.

I cant see at night with nvg's if there is a light source, visibility just goes black.

My nvg's are affected by:

[*]Moonlight.

[*]Fires and burning stuff (vehicles).

[*]Street lamps, lighthouses and car/vehicle lights.

8800gtx, 162.18 fw driver.

I've read that changing hdrprecision=16 in Arma cfg fixes the problem but thats a lame thing to change, on the other hand if i cant see at night i cant play at night confused_o.gif .

Another 8800GTX casualty.

Gives me the heebie geebies since i am gonna be hopefully buying this card in a another month or so sad_o.gif .

Well i'm using a NIVIDIA 7950 and i'm experiancing the same issues.

If i want to make a mission set at night (and don't intend using NV), i have to find the day were the moon is at its fullest, because i literally can't see my weapon because it's too dark. This is a little too unrealistic.

Have you ever been outside on a moonless overcast night?

It is realistic. That IS what it looks like at night with no streetlights, headlights, flashlights or other artificial lighting.

It is truly DARK at night.

@Heatseeker

Even if it's not the "everything is bright green" problem, have you tried to play with brightness/gamma sliders in a situation where your NVG are blacked out?

@Heatseeker

Even if it's not the "everything is bright green" problem, have you tried to play with brightness/gamma sliders in a situation where your NVG are blacked out?

Yepp thats what i do for a work around!

Sometimes they work well,other times can hardly see!

7900gs here!

I'll give that a try but i hope it will be fixed one day, we shouldnt have to adjust settings depending on day time.

The street lights are worse than OPF's, way too dark. The whole night visibility aspect is flawed...

edit:

I dont have opf instaled atm but vbs1 lights are the same.

nightLight.jpg

We should be able to see in illuminated towns with or without nvg's.

It is realistic. That IS what it looks like at night with no streetlights, headlights, flashlights or other artificial lighting.

Yes but to not even see my own weapon is a bit too dark. What if i wanted to make an escape and evade mission. It wouldn't last long if you couldn't see 1 foot in front of you.

I'm sorry but i just don't believe that it gets that dark(maybe in some parts of the world). I've been on night excercises when i served in the army and it was never as bad as not being able to see where i was going.

I remember one time in Kenya when it was very dark but we could see the guy infront of us to be able to keep formation. In ArmA, like i said, i can't even see my own arm  wink_o.gif

Oh and it generally takes about 20 mins for your eyes to accustomise to the darkness. In ArmA does this happen.

Right, i have done a simple test to verify that there is a problem with NV and that the nights are too dark and the Opfor have an unfair advantage.

First the NV problem/bug.

Below is a normal view picture

normalviewgt9.jpg

Below is a zoomed in picture

zoomedinviewwb1.jpg

Below is a zoomed in sight picture

zoomedinsightviewfq3.jpg

As you can plainly see, as you zoom in, the image gets darker so much so that you can't see the target.

Now the AI advantage in the dark.

Below is a screenshot of an opfor AI (without NV) about 25 metres away. He can clearly see me as when i fire up the editor he shoots me. Yet i'm unable to see him.

opfor20metresawayan2.jpg

I'm sorry but i just don't believe that it gets that dark(maybe in some parts of the world). I've been on night excercises when i served in the army and it was never as bad as not being able to see where i was going.

I remember one time in Kenya when it was very dark but we could see the guy infront of us to be able to keep formation. In ArmA, like i said, i can't even see my own arm  wink_o.gif

Then you haven't been up north (nordic countries) in a forrest at fall. Remember a procedure we had for thoose moments in the military. It was to grab the belt of the guy in front of you to keep togheter and not getting lost wink_o.gif

That beeing said, I recently swapped my Philips monitor against a better Hitachi monitor and the difference in ArmA at dusk/night was drastic! With my old Philips monitor I had hard time seeing anything in ArmA (as well as IL-2) when it was dark even if I up'ed the gamma etc. With my new monitor it's much much better.

So if you played around with brightness/gamma and can't find a setting that works for you, try with another monitor as well and see if things improves like it did for me.

/KC

I just went checking too, i always get blind at night when i play Evolution (MP) but in the editor the results were strange.

I think its caused by the moon lighting. Full moon it didnt happen much, new moon it happened all the time, i tested in the airfield.

September 8th i could face a light source and see, september 20th i couldnt see anything confused_o.gif .

1.05 had this prob but 10 times worst. Couldn't fly a chopper at night, with 1.08 they fixed some of the darkness when NV'd, but it isn't nowhere near what the NVG's IRL would perform(muzzeflash shouldn't affect todays NVG's )

It was pretty dark when i went through hurricane wilma and i have no light source at all except the stars in the sky... it was scary lol. but on topic i dont notice anything weird... but i hope bid will fix it so everyone can have fun. smile_o.gif

I'm still unsure if you guys are really having a bug there or if you're just expecting too much visibility with all those fency vision effects in ArmA now.

e.g. I can't set much different gamma/brightness settings as the default ones when I want to see something in every possible situation (dark, dust, nv, sunglare) and not just in one of them absolutely perfect and gorgeous.

Some scenes in ArmA could recreate the look of underexposed photos on windows desktop. If your gamma is set wrong or even worse the contrast of your monitor is bad, you'll have a hard time to adjust everything until you'll see better, without blurring pictures of normal brightness.

What sucks even more is that with an 8800 in NVGs while flying, if you look at your instruments the NVGs automatically dim because of the instrument lights and everything outside the window goes black.

nvgeq3.jpg

KeyCat.....U swedish??? We had an exercise just like that a

couple of years ago..We were like 100 ppl grabbing each

others belt on a 250-300 m march...It was kind a spooky..

The first one had NVG´s and the rest without...

And the NVG´s work like that in the RW...(RealWorld)

No light good visualls, if light gets neer them you dont see

squat...But they DONT dim, they get even brighter....

No light good visualls, if light gets neer them you dont see

squat...But they DONT dim, they get even brighter....

When you look towards the sun in ArmA, the screen also dims. ArmA can simulate the bad visuality/glare caused by bright light only by darkening of the scenery. I don't think any monitor has enough lux to simulate such things the real way, with absolute highlights on the screen.

Anyway that would be wrong because everyone would be worried about their eyesight while playing a game that is actual able to blind them.

KeyCat.....U swedish???

That's affirmative smile_o.gif

/KC

Simple solution: increase your brightness\gamma setting when playing a night op.

Simple solution: increase your brightness\gamma setting when playing a night op.

Not exactly practical for watching enemy movements when you can only see a few meters infront of you though confused_o.gif