Sign in to follow this  
Mak

Hardly any variation in the terrain and cities

In a way Sahrani is too flat to my liking... and in other way it is too round to my liking!

I agree with dmitri: Too flat in that way (i liked high terrain detail in resistance most).

But then again too much mountains in Sahrani... I somehow can't design much anykind warfare-activity to those slopes expacely in NS.

@mehman

you have to think of the island as somekind of disneyland(or whatever), you have all and everything for enjoyment in little room.

saharani is a fictive island so it dont have to match realworld like a mirror.

i think thats the perfect example when someone never gets enough...

if there where just a desert saharani many ppl would come and complain why there is no woodland terrain...same with desert.

so we have both on the island, wich is still mcuh much biger than any OFP map.

i dont know why to complain about "that"...!?

It might be a fictive island but it is unrealistic. You usually don't go from completely arid to completely lush enviroments in less than 10 miles. And especially not on islands.

I believe a lot of people would prefer for Sahrani to be either completely woodland or desert, but not both at the same time.

And no, it's actually not that bigger than OFP maps. There are user made maps that dwarf Sahrani in size, but perhaps not in detail.

there is a real simple solution to all your problems.

dont like Sahrani?, make a better island. heck why stop at a just and island, make a whole continent.

take a few years off of your life and make it just the way you think it should have been from the start. when your done i'll gladly play it, if it'll play at all that is.

there already is a test island out thats around 40,600 square kilometers, lags like a studdering 8 yearold with downsyndrome, but hey it works.

you all need to be thankfull that at least we dont just have "maps" the we load, where we cant go out of that play area. (BF Series anyone?)

most of these pointless brat-like posts "why, why, why?.. i want, i want, i want" really brighten my day.

here we are with a game that has a scale that is only equaled by MMORPGs, where you can almost do anything, which most players can barely run as is, and you guys think not enough was done and want more, more, more... common!

@mehman

It might be a fictive island but it is unrealistic. You usually don't go from completely arid to completely lush enviroments in less than 10 miles. And especially not on islands.

You do.

I guess you haven't travelled much, because some Greek islands, where I live, have that environment and the huge change between lush and arrid.

Anyway, the point of Sahrani was to make an island for the tastes of everyone, lush, desert-like and so on. Large enough to concentrate a mission on a small section, small enough to travel it and have a large scale war.

Since my group is making an island, we have thought hard about the size of it and we are positive that a huge island would be a waste of resources, performance and gaming.

But I agree with Dynamax.

Too much whining and unrealistic expectations.

Sahrani is a a great place and BI has done a great job adding details and differences between cities.

Think of the island engine as a spot between a flight simulator and a FPS: enough detail for up close viewing, but taking care of the resources.

People complain about performance and detail. You can't have both. Some removed the grass for better performance.

Imagine if BI shipped a world without grass.

People would whine.

Imagine if BI shipped a world with too much detail.

People would whine.

If you have a desire to make your own world, join a modding group and contribute instead of pointlessly whine.

I agree. Sahrani is fine for me. I can't compare the size and variation with any other battlesim around. I don't like the two climates on one island, but I understand why they did it.

Sahrani is an nice island with woods in the north and little desert in the south. Rahmadi is small and fits well. Lets wait and see what kind of little island Porto is. wink_o.gif

I prefer more those island were you can hold/engage strategic places like mountain pass, bridges etc. I think at Dolores (with destroyed Bridges) and some other areas its to easy to dodge/find another way.

I own the game since day one and still find new spots that are very well done. I also prefer the north for my missions as the terrain is great and there are numerous spots for any kind of missions.

First I started to explore the island with helos and jeeps, now I do it on foot as there are so many places you just don´t see right when travelling in the air or on the roads. The woods areas are my favourite places and finding roads in the mountains that take you to radio stations are highlights for me.

I am very happy with the island as it offers a huge variety of locations for a whole lot of mission concepts.

I don't like the setup of the island. It's not really logical.

And please, shut the hell up with the whining comments. I don't like the island layout and setup, that's it. I do like the detail and how some of the building look.

First time I actually comment negatively on this island and I am suddenly a whiner. Just because we don't agree on the thing doesn't make a whiner. So please, just shut it.

First time I actually comment negatively on this island and I am suddenly a whiner.

It's the way you go about it, MehMan:

Sahrani sucks shit
sucks even more shit
WHAT?
Basicly, the whole island is borked.

What kind of response do you expect with an attitude like that..

I like the fields around obergan, good fighting ground and looks nice.

That at least, I can agree with.

The Sahrani island obviously isn't meant to represent a

scale model of a real island. It's just meant to offer users

a cross-section of environments to fight toy-soldier battles

over. It does that job quite well. Complaints that there are

no post offices, hospitals or sweetie shops and attempts to

calculate the population of the island are rather missing the

point.

I always used to play OFP with the "very high" terrain detail

switched on. The resulting bumpy terrain was in no way

realistic looking, but it did at least notionally represent a more

irregular terrain and helped relieve the "fighting on a golf

course" feeling. Both OFP and ArmA suffer badly from a lack

of small-scale detail in the topography. There are no knolls,

depressions, ditches, banks, field boundaries, stream beds,

sunken roads etc. - in fact very little that can be used as

defilade positions or individual cover at all.

Well... i still like Everon more than i like north Sahrani and Malden more than i like south Sahrani confused_o.gif .

I think i still like Nogova more than the whole Sahrani island.

Lipany feels more realistic than Corazol or Bagango, the mountains, river, castle ruins, forests...

edit: typo

I reckon Sahrani suffers from a lack of industrial areas. Power plants, factories, water works, sewerage treatment plants, rubbsih dumps etc.

That said, you have to look at the number of houses on Sahrani and realise that the population isn't high enough to require freeways, heavy industry things like that.

Anybody got too much time on their hands and want to estimate the population of Sahrani?

First time I actually comment negatively on this island and I am suddenly a whiner.

It's the way you go about it, MehMan:

Sahrani sucks shit
sucks even more shit
WHAT?
Basicly, the whole island is borked.

What kind of response do you expect with an attitude like that..

I like the fields around obergan, good fighting ground and looks nice.

That at least, I can agree with.

Ah yes, now that I look at it I see you're right. Yesterday's post was a result from a bad day at work, so sorry if I sounded like a dick.

I'd like to say I am extremely thankful that BI put two distinct natural and urban environments into Sahrani - it means that the community can easily create either desert or european terrains using the default artwork.

I'm a little surprised that BI took out the random terrain extra detailing in ArmA, it was a neat feature, although v. high was too high in my opinion smile_o.gif

I always used to play OFP with the "very high" terrain detail

switched on. The resulting bumpy terrain was in no way

realistic looking, but it did at least notionally represent a more

irregular terrain and helped relieve the "fighting on a golf

course" feeling. Both OFP and ArmA suffer badly from a lack

of small-scale detail in the topography. There are no knolls,

depressions, ditches, banks, field boundaries, stream beds,

sunken roads etc. - in fact very little that can be used as

defilade positions or individual cover at all.

This is one of the biggest things that bothers me in both OFP and ArmA. The terrain itself has macro detail but not micro detail. That's why I prefer the area around Obregan as a fighting ground, as it offers a fairly good ammount of varation in terrain to offer cover.

to add to my yesterdays post;

Quote[/b] ]Quote (Jok @ July 26 2007,23:47)

@mehman

You do.

I guess you haven't travelled much, because some Greek islands, where I live, have that environment and the huge change between lush and arrid

even me, wich lives in an all green much woods and mountains country, was all ready in areas where you come to "green" to "sand" in about 3-5 footsteps.

Quote[/b] ]I believe a lot of people would prefer for Sahrani to be either completely woodland or desert, but not both at the same time.

judgeing by the many things peope in that thread want, noone will really be pleased as long as he want exactly that what he personally expects.

i wished we have some snowy area, TO HELL with DESERT, gimme snowy mountains!

but if they would ask me to have a little deserted patch of land somewhere i wouldnt have anything against it.

if it would be an big desert island i would be pretty dissapointed.

better take what we got...

to add to my yesterdays post;
Quote[/b] ]Quote (Jok @ July 26 2007,23:47)

@mehman

You do.

I guess you haven't travelled much, because some Greek islands, where I live, have that environment and the huge change between lush and arrid

even me, wich lives in an all green much woods and mountains country, was all ready in areas where you come to "green" to "sand" in about 3-5 footsteps.

So? I can go from pavement to dirt and from dirt to grass in 8 steps. Does that make it a completely different enviroment? No.

you obviously never saw some different landscape than whats around your home...and pavement.

EDIT:

example of desertification in china...

040616_desert_hmed_12p.hmedium.jpg

That's China. China doesn't qualify as an island.

And yes I have.

But whatever, your mind is set, my mind is set, now lets just drop it.

and again, its kinda disneyland, thats why it is possible on smal space.

now lets drop it... whistle.gif

The whole highway thing:

what sense does it ma´ke to hae some 4- lane highway to just drive on it alone?Yea, set some robos on it, they'll just make driving a horrible experience!!! band.gif

No, let's just not drop it.

You are stuck in the idea that the variation in terrain of Sahrani is not realistic. This is not the first thread with this theme and you are not the first (or going to be the last) to complain.

You are beside the point.

Like it has said before many times, Sahrani represents a selection of microclimates to satisfy many different needs and desires. Its not meant to be a 100% completely realistic island but a place to create and experience many different types of missions.

At the same time, they could have added a tropical forest and more snow to the mountains and still not make it unrealistic.

The Internet is a treasure of information, you can travel around the world and see things way beyond your doorstep. I suggest you make use of it.

To help you get started:

Crete:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/3/2527705_985d421241_b.jpg

WestCrete.jpg

WestCreteLush.jpg

35642890_7b2fd9d3e7.jpg

Kefalonia:

Kefalonia.jpg

Rhodes:

Rhodes.jpg

(Yes, green is lush, brown is arrid and the distances are measured in few Kms)

Seriously. I got your point before. You missed mine. Now drop it.