Sign in to follow this  
Sevan

8800 problem or ArmA?

Hi,

I've got the same problem. I can't play it with Vista.

Ive tried the fixes too, don't help...

I've really long lags before it crash sad_o.gif

Even on low details Arma crash....

You need to post your machine spec, operating system etc to give us an idea to what your problem could be.

I have installed the beta updates for vista and have found more stability with the game (no crashes etc) also i seem to have slightly better stable frame rates.

Ok, here we go.

Win Vista

E6400

2GB RAM

8800 GTX (tried many drivers already, newest at the moment)

newest drivers

I have stable frames at very high settings >40fps.

I noticed already when I take high settings the game will first lag 1-6 seconds and after some minutes it will crash.

On middle-low settings I can play about 2 hours before the same thing happens.

It happens really fast when you're flying or driving around fast... new textures will be load and there seems to be the problem. With a higher view distance and/or higher settings the game will crash faster.

In the german support forum I heard that there would be no problems with XP and 88GTX. And I've met someone with the same problem.

I think it's a problem between the 8800 and Vista.

And maybe I have more than one problem at the same time, I'm not sure.

I have this error:

Cannot create system memory surface

and I've got the whole Arma.rpt full of this:

w:\c\Poseidon\lib\d3d9\engdd9.cpp(4967) : Unable to create vertex buffer - Reset needed

this: Error: Failed to create surface texture

this:

w:\c\Poseidon\lib\d3d9\engdd9.cpp(5226) : Vertex buffer not allocated

and errors like this:

Region: 0B7B2000,4 KB,Comm

Region: 0B7B3000,4 KB,Resv

I think it's a memory problem between Vista and the 8800's.

Here is my whole Arma.rpt if you want it

http://rapidshare.com/files/46179513/arma.RPT.html

I hope there will be a fix soon sad_o.gif

Blub, your problem is nearly identical with mine.

smooth for a while, then after some time, lag, followed by a crash.

I upgraded to a 8800GTS 640MB and the only problem I have is the air looks smoky... like fog but dirty/smoky looking....... but apart from that it runs better than ever, one ctd since I got it a month ago biggrin_o.gif

P4 3.4G

Asus P5AD2-E Deluxe

2GB 533 DDR2

8800GTS 640MB

Audigy 2 ZS

XP Professional SP2

Also guys when you see textures going funny or unexplained lag do the 'flush' command

(numpad minus + left Shift then type flush)

Also, depending on how many comps you have, I have opted for a 'pure' game system, where my second computer is used for everything else, and this system is for gaming only. No antispyware, no antivirus.

This leads me to a question, is it impossible to receive a virus just through gaming. Does this also mean you never browse websites on your gaming computer.

If your really worried about viruses use VirtualPC and view pages through that cause when you shut down the VirtualPC you can choose not to save changes hench any virus dl will be deleted and your 'real' PC will have never seen them... just a thought

Just wondering if I'm dreaming or not but..

I have an:

ASUS 8800GTS 640MB

Asus MBO

74 gig 10,000 rpm HD (sata)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (125W) Dual-Core Socket

2 gig ram

running fresh install (on new hard drive) xp pro.

1) Bios as current as can be.

2) Running ASUS's current video drivers.

3) Only default setting turned off is Vsyinc.

To my point,

I have noticed that when I set the resolution and frequency in game the same as the desk top settings, it appears that the game runs smoother, actually it runs great.

Note: the HD is 74 gig and has nothing else on it other than XP, some games and required drivers. If it matters.

I have noticed that when I set the resolution and frequency in game the same as the desk top settings

I wish I could play at 2560x1600 as my desktop is.. but no way. 1920x1200 is max for me w/ArmA..or else CTD's start happening.

And 60hz is the only setting for the Dell 30in.

I've just bought an NVidia XFX 8800 GTS XT (although it's not arrived yet) and am wondering just how well it will perform compared to my 8600GTS?

I've heard a lot of complaints about the 8800 and arma, but my 8600 has been working absolutely fine. I'm a touch worried that i've just shelled out on an expensive graphics card and that i'm not going to see any improvement in my graphics within arma.

I'm sure I remember seeing a lot of these issues before the 1.08 patch, so does anybody know if 1.08 addressed any of the stability issues that arise with the 8800?

(the rest of my system is pretty solid;

Core 2 Duo Conroe E6600 2x2.4GHz

2Gigs of Corsair Ram

E-MU 1212m Soundcard)

8800 will pretty much blow your 8600GT out of the water, just make sure you have the latest drivers for it.

The drivers before two releases ago were abysmal and pretty much halted my playing, after that though it's been running great.

Obviously this won't be the case if you haven't defragged recently, have spyware, malware or viruses on your system but i'm taking it for granted this isn't the case ... wink_o.gif

Vista Home Premium 32bit

AMD 6000+ X2 CPU

2gb RAM

8800 Ultra vid card

I'm getting completely random crashes, no errors or anything just a good old fashioned CTD. Haven't managed to stay in the game for longer than 5 minutes.

Vista Home Premium 32bit

AMD 6000+ X2 CPU

2gb RAM

8800 Ultra vid card

I'm getting completely random crashes, no errors or anything just a good old fashioned CTD. Haven't managed to stay in the game for longer than 5 minutes.

Have you tried the -maxmem=512 tweak?

Vista Home Premium 32bit

AMD 6000+ X2 CPU

2gb RAM

8800 Ultra vid card

Have you tried the -maxmem=512 tweak?

I did indeed, funny how my ArmA experience is mirroring my OFP experience  banghead.gif

I did indeed, funny how my ArmA experience is mirroring my OFP experience  banghead.gif

Your setup should play as/if not better than mine. (until sli works solid)

You are using 32bit..a + for ArmA.

Other things I've added, Dual Core Optimizer from AMD. Rarely used, but if I start getting glitches in games..enabling it stops those. Have you tried set affinity with either game? I'm not having to...but this is a weird pc I have.

Your setup should play as/if not better than mine. (until sli works solid)

You are using 32bit..a + for ArmA.

Other things I've added, Dual Core Optimizer from AMD. Rarely used, but if I start getting glitches in games..enabling it stops those. Have you tried set affinity with either game? I'm not having to...but this is a weird pc I have.

Aye, I've tried pretty much every fix for every problem on this board biggrin_o.gif

I think I'll leave it til the expansion is out. It took me a year pretty much to get OFP running as it should have been when that was released. Pretty annoying though, it was pretty stable on my old pc, oh well... ciao for now

@ efefia if your still around.

My system is very simular to yours.

ASUS 8800GTS 640MB

Asus MBO

74 gig 10,000 rpm HD (sata)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (125W) Dual-Core Socket

2 gig ram

The only diff. is I'm still running XP Pro.

I'm running without any "max mem" or other "tricks".

Note: Did have a few issues but it was Video setting conflicts.

Oh and by the way I'm seeing OFP in a totaly different light, things I never saw before with my old system.

(my old Vid card was 1600X 512MB AGP)

fix those damn bugs for one's and for all banghead.gif

Foxconn N68S7AA

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600

Kingston HyperX 2 GB DDR2-800

XFX 8800 GTS/640 mb

samsung sync 226bw 22

I also have an Asus 8800GTX and i get CTD's but when i turn off certain processes i don't. I have Perfectdisk so i turn off any relating to that but i still have about 39 processes running and no crashes to date. My Kaspersky internet security still running and no crashes. So i think it's possible that certain processes can cause game instability as well as the game itself.

I ran mine this morning on MP CRCTI@DVD for about 3hrs and no crashes. My settings are on very high and 1680@1050 res and with aliasing. Running 162.18 nVidia drivers, August DirectX on windows x64. I do get the fogging at distance but gameplay and textures are fine. There used to be the occasional texture lag but not to frequent, haven't noticed it yet with the new 162.18 drivers but i only installed them yesterday.

My specs:

Asus P5K Deluxe/WIFI

OCZ 4Gig SLI Ready Ram

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600

Creative XFI Gamer Sound Card

Viewsonic 22" LCD Monitor

2*250 Gig H-Drives

Windows x64

Also runs fine on my Asus A8N32, ATI X1900XT Pc with Opteron 4800 X2 2 gig Geil Ram. Used to have the odd crash with that but don't use it that often. My 6 year old uses it now and he loves ArmA.

It's hard to narrow down a problem when there are so many Hardware and software variations out there.

wink_o.gif

This is a new build I'm running ArmA on so the number of processes isn't a problem, I've got hardly anything other than the OS and a couple of games installed at this time (the old chugger has been relegated to being my excel and word biatch) biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]This is a new build I'm running ArmA on so the number of processes isn't a problem, I've got hardly anything other than the OS and a couple of games installed at this time (the old chugger has been relegated to being my excel and word biatch)

I'm not saying it's only the processes but it could be a factor for some. But i think the 8800 is part of the problem as its not the only game i've had trouble with since buying mine. And when playing the same games on my other PC with an ATI X1900XT i get no problems.

ArmA has a long way to go and we all have to be patient. Same goes to nVidia, the 8800 is a nice card but the drivers are way behind the card. Lets hope both can be sorted and we'll all be happy bunnies.

Saying that we'll always find something to moan about. Thats progress! smile_o.gif

Well I'm putting my problem down to Nvidia/Vista after trying the new beta drivers 163.somethingorother wink_o.gif the game now runs for a whole 10 minutes before ctd's. Nvidia definately have a great card on their hands in the 88XX series but the software support is abysmal. ATI really need to get with the program and start offering up some competition again cos complacency has definately set in with Nvidia. I'm not even going to start a rant on Vista cos I won't stop til xmas if I do.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but:

Quote[/b] ]KB 938194, also known as the "compatibility and reliability" update, should probably be called the "now you can play games with your computer" update. It purports to address a handful of gaming-related problems, including compatibility issues with NVIDIA's G80 series of cards. The lame printer spooling bug that was afflicting many of you has also been addressed.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ar....ed.html

Perhaps this is the shot in the arm that vista needed.